The new sounds effect feedback

Lewiatan

@JatAfter playing around with new sound efects I want to give a feedback about it. 

The list of animals that were changed: Dodo, Raptor, Quetzal, Parasaur, Rex, Trike, Pteranodon, Dilo, Direwolf, Compy, Dung Beetle, Argent, Pachy, and Mammoth. I'll be updating the opening post. I encourage the others to put here their own feedback.

General walking sounds effects:

• Why do dinosaurs not have different walking sounds effects according to the surface they are walking on? This is very basic thing that all games have. Such feature is missing here. You ought to add it. 
  • I don't know why, but all new walking sounds sound like heavy bipedal robots from BF2142. (when the leg hit the ground)
  • I know in UE3 you can apply different types of sounds effects to different textures/materials, not sure if it is in UE4, but worth checking out.

A bug affecting all flyers:

• when you fly on any bird you can hear growls does not belong to them. It is believed that's a sound of another land creature that it is within your render distance. You may look at this. 

Human:

• The human character makes grunt noises while hitting rocks and harvesting materials in general. Sometimes it feels unatural. 
  • Too erotic pain sounds for female human character.

Raptor :

• They sounds like they want to spit something out of their throats or they smoke way too many cigarrets. They are not terryfing nor immersive as every should be since Jurassic Park. Primal Carnage Exctinction's sound designer did way better job than you did with your raptor. Must be remade completely. 
  • Walking sounds effects sounds like piston work or walking mech robot. Must be remade completely.       
  • Idle sound effects sounds like radio static. Must be remade completely.        
  • Leveling up sounds are off too.
  • Jumping sounds. Raptor wants to spit phlegm that runs down its throat. Must be remade completely.      
  • Overall you have to remake all raptors sounds. I'm not impressed by new ones at all. The old screech sounded way better than what you did for new bite sounds for example. I though you would be adding missing sounds to raptors and slightly adjust them, not making them worse than used to be. Open Primal Carnage Exctinction, another indie dino game made by 5 people. This is how raptors should sound like more or less.                                                                                                                                                                                                        
  • All in all a raptor should sounds like this more or less: 

Quetzal:

• Terrible bite sound effect. It sounds like fantasy monster not real animal. Must be remade completely.                                                                                                                         
  • Walking sounds must be redone. They sounds like there is giant mech robot walking on the ground. Must be remade completely.
  • Flapping wings sounds are alright.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Argentavis

• Job well done.      
  • When they eat you hear the sound twice, but the bird does eating animation once. A bit of tweaking is needed there.

Rex

• Bite sound is good enough
  • Walking sounds really off. Improvement needed.
  • The roar lacks power in the sound still. Improvement needed.    

Dilo

• Sounds alright.
  • However, it seems it doesn't make any idle sounds in the wild or tamed. Needs some idle sounds from time to time.

Ptera

• Everything sounds alright except for...
  • ...flapping wings sounds. They sound like a plunger <- @SBaker

Compy

• Well done, they sound adorable :)

Parasaur

• Everything sounds amazing except for walking sounds. 
  • Walking sounds sound like walking bipedal robot. I have in mind robots we had in BF2142. That kind of walking sounds.
  • Danger call is amazing

Pachy

• Sounds are too quiet for to check their sounds fully.
  • They don't make any other noise than walking sounds in the wild. It should make some in my opinion.

Patch 257 Feedback:

List of changed animals: Carno, Direbear, Bronto, Saber, Scorpion, Giga, Dragon, Broodmother, and Megapithecus.

Walking sounds:

• It seems you still have troubles with making walking sounds for animals. A lot of them still sound like walking AT-ST from Battlefront 2015. The sound animals make does not fit the surface they walk on at all. Instead of raspy sound that is made by dirt and leaves being lifted by foot, we hear very mechanical, piston like sounds effects. Please, improve that significantly.

Bronto:

• Walking sounds quite mechanical and it doesn't remind you of the animal walking on the dirt. It sounds like working piston. Or something hitting a wooden table or crate.
  • The effect of the tail traveling in the air when you swipe is good. However the grunt sound of the animals is a bit too quiet.
  • Idle sounds are a bit too quiet.

Giga:

• When you ride it in FPP and walk through the water you hear none splashing water sounds effects. In TPP it uses generic splashing water sounds that ought to be changed.
  • Walking sounds on the ground sounds heavy as they should, but still it doesn't fit to the surface the dinosaur is walking on. 
  • Roar. The effect is really nice I think it's almost perfect, but I'd love to have intensity and pitch as classic JP Trex roar. Giga roar lacks that a bit.

Carno:

• Some sounds would have suited a raptor better than a carno, but still would need some work on them. For example the head swipe would have been good "hurt" raptor sound. The bite a good "bite" raptor sound.
  • Walking sounds. A human with bare feet is walking on the toes and places and lifts feet very quickly on the wooden floor. Needs to be redone.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, PeregrinationM said:

I couldn't disagree more with your opinions. The old raptor and rex sound effects were cartoony. Now they sound serious, especially the rex stomps. 

I'm also liking the new Quetz. 

That's a joke, right? You like the new Rex roar? The bite sound is so weak and doesn't sound like a proper bite for such a massive animal. 

Wolf - most sounds are adorable, but the howl is too short in duration, and could be a bit more powerful. It's better than it was, though!

Dodo - it's a pigeon, not a hen.  You had it right the first time.  (No, really, a dodo is a giant flightless pigeon).

Compys - perfect!

Parasaur - liking the new sounds.

Raptor- the old sound was incredibly annoying, the new one is less so.

Ptera - I'm not sure, it takes some getting used to.  I guess it's okay.

Dilo - I literally didn't notice a change, except they make noise less often.  Which is good, because the base gets awfully noisy, and it's annoying after awhile.

I haven't heard my ichthy make a sound since the update.  I'm okay with that, because it's NOT a dolphin. :P  I have no idea if they've changed the sound on it at all, but I rather hope so.  It would be nice if it just hissed or something, it would be sort of good and creepy.

The Wolf sounds far better after this update. I actually like the Ptera and Raptor sounds a lot, too. Rex is okay, I think it needs some bass added to its roar tho. Quetzal is alright too, but I do prefer the old "blorp blorp blorp" just because it was such a unique sound and really made the Quetz sound as goofy as it looks. I'm not strongly opinionated on the rest except the Argy--IMO, it doesn't sound great. I think if they just went with the screech, it'd be okay, but the growling undertones kill it for me.

2 hours ago, SusanCS said:

https://twitter.com/sbaker24/with_replies Here's the audio director's twitter if you want to give any specific feedback to him. He's a very nice fellow.

Unfortunately, I don't have twitter account and don't plan to create to just post a few messages and never use the account again. He should read threads if he wants feedback from us.

What are peoples opinions on the new sounds in the game? Don't think I see anyone talking about them yet. To me it sounds like one of my argentavis is getting hacked up with a cleaver and I run out to see what's going on each time ... 

I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually I just don't understand what I'm hearing sometimes. It sounds violent.

7 minutes ago, Currahee said:

Yes, we get it, you hate the flyer nerf. LOL

Anything else you'd like to add about the stupid new sounds, being the topic at hand?

Since you play PVE and raise dodos all day on an ORP protected private server where everyone sings koombaya and gloats over how much cooked fish meat they can bring, sure, allow me to educate you.

After so many hours in Ark, the sounds are a tactical advantage.  In official PVP, running around like a PVE noob with your torch is a sure sign of getting killed, or worse, captured.  Yes, we play without torches or any light source at night - PVP has gotten to that.  So by knowing every bit of sound by memory, you already know what dinos are nearby and whether you ought to be worried.  The last thing I need are for dodos to be making what sounds like human whistling to throw me off - especially since my ptera can barely fly three feet without being more of a giant hinderance with wings than a useful dino.

If you need me to school you on anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Overall, I'm not a fan.  They all just sound like generic grunts and hisses.  It might be more realistic, but it removes all character from the creatures.  And it's not like Ark ever attempted to be realistic in the first place anyway.  Rexes and Quetzals especially are terrible now.  Compies and wolves are the only ones I can think of that are actually improved.

56 minutes ago, theronin said:

Since you play PVE and raise dodos all day on an ORP protected private server where everyone sings koombaya and gloats over how much cooked fish meat they can bring, sure, allow me to educate you.

After so many hours in Ark, the sounds are a tactical advantage.  In official PVP, running around like a PVE noob with your torch is a sure sign of getting killed, or worse, captured.  Yes, we play without torches or any light source at night - PVP has gotten to that.  So by knowing every bit of sound by memory, you already know what dinos are nearby and whether you ought to be worried.  The last thing I need are for dodos to be making what sounds like human whistling to throw me off - especially since my ptera can barely fly three feet without being more of a giant hinderance with wings than a useful dino.

If you need me to school you on anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Wow. You sure have a lot of sand down your pants. Maybe try walking away? Go play some Super Mario bros or something else that doesn't have active development anymore? Right now you're just coming off like a big whiny baby who has no life at all outside of a video game.

WOE IS YOU! LIFE IS SOOO HARD FOR YOU!

The only thing you could school me on is how to get so upset of a damn video game. I guess I'd have to be a pretty big loser to pick up on that lesson though.

Please stop pooping on everyone just because your life sucks so badly.

16 minutes ago, ThzNutz said:

enough of the mudslinging already, get back on topic and leave the personal attacks in your fingers

or else :Hatchet::D

really tho...

Shouldn't be there shinny ban hammer? :P 

But back to topic. I made a thread regarding new sounds effects. What can I tell? Raptor sound effects are worse than old one. It sounds like it wants to spit phelgm out of its throat and it smokes too many cigarrets. It must be redone completely.

Quetzal doesn't sound like an animal anymore, it sounds like a monster.

In general very bad walking sounds effects for all changed dinosaurs. It sounds like huge bipedal robot walking on wooden floor, very mechanical sound. What's more why do dinosaurs not have different walking sounds effects depending on the surface they walk on? If it walks on dirt, it has to sounds like walking on the dirt, not like walking on wooden floor.

There is the rest of my thoughts about new sounds effects:

27 minutes ago, craigy said:

I feel like the new sounds makes the game more fresh, but personally the Rex roar/crunch was ruined, the crunch sounds like someone crinkling a bag of chips and the roar is just pathetic now. I liked when it used to be 100 volume and shake the screen.

Yeah I'm not sure that I like the new Rex roar either, which is more of a hiss now than an actual roar. It is true that even the biggest modern reptiles hiss, but they also live very different lifestyles than a theropod would have lived. It seems like an active terrestrial predator would roar.

I do like the Rex's new stomp and bite sounds though. They sound more powerful than before. I also like the Argent's new sounds.

4 minutes ago, theronin said:

So ... no intelligent response to my response explaining in detail why sounds are critical?

Well alrighty then!  Got any good dodo breeding mutations?  LOLLLLLL

We should just get this child out of here. 

Noone cares you play pvp,go get more FOBs wiped. Remember that time you made a thread detailing your life on pvp, we all know youre small time. 

Next~

I really like the new Wolf sound. Far better than the old one. The new Raptor sound is good, too, as is the Ptera sound. I'm not really too opinionated on stuff like the Parasaur, Trike, and Dodo. The Quetzal sound is fine, but I do personally prefer the old blorping just because of nostalgia reasons and because it sounds as dorky as the Quetzal looks--but there isn't anything wrong with the new sound itself. The Rex could use some more bass in its roar, but otherwise it's fine. My only real complaint is the Argent. The mixture of growling and screeching is rather grating, and I think it'd just be better off with the screech. I get that the growl is supposed to add undertones that emphasize the size and primeval nature of the Argent, but it detracts from the overall noise IMO.

Archived