The new sounds effect feedback

Lewiatan

1 hour ago, Horvath said:

This Discussion never will end cuz u cant please everybody. But guys just get over with. Ark has more serious Problems then Sound AT THE MOMENT.

Don't understimate the importance of good sound design. If it is done poorly, It ruins the general experience and immersion significantly. People do not want to use an animal that sounds terrible (Raptors make me cringe every time I hear their awful burping idle sound), same thing applies to weapons. For example, weapons sounds in the newest Call of Duty games make me feel I'm using Airsoft Gun, not a real weapon. So I cannot hold my suspension of disbelief at all.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/3/2017 at 1:45 PM, Currahee said:

What are peoples opinions on the new sounds in the game? Don't think I see anyone talking about them yet. To me it sounds like one of my argentavis is getting hacked up with a cleaver and I run out to see what's going on each time ... 

I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually I just don't understand what I'm hearing sometimes. It sounds violent.

yeh same with the quetzal they made its pain sounds just.. a sound it constantly makes now

30 minutes ago, Horvath said:

How do u know what ppl are expecting? U only know what kids are expecting.

You are free to provide your own feedback about dinosaurs sounds if you don't agree with my thoughts. It's safe to assume people expect JP quality of raptor sounds and The Isle does them in the different way, but they are still very well done.

Don't feed the troll, don't even answer them. This thread is pretty constructive so far, everyone ggiving his opinion and examples.

There will always be some of those who got no idea of the matter and basically just comment to provoke without any word to the topic but aggressively towards the posters. Just ignore them, don't quote them.

If the devs just care a little bit, they will read - maybe not comment, but read - the feedback. And as someone who actually works in the gaming industry, I can second the fact that a good sound makes the difference of a successful title or just another "not bad game".

I noticed the new Giga sound yesterday, thats really hilarious. It seems, they gonna make a kind of kids game out of Ark, everything blinking, funny music, weird sounds. It just doesn't sound legitim anymore, I cannot understand 90% of the new changes at all, big steps backwards and no improvements.

32 minutes ago, the7thguest said:

If the devs just care a little bit, they will read - maybe not comment, but read - the feedback. And as someone who actually works in the gaming industry, I can second the fact that a good sound makes the difference of a successful title or just another "not bad game".

I noticed the new Giga sound yesterday, thats really hilarious. It seems, they gonna make a kind of kids game out of Ark, everything blinking, funny music, weird sounds. It just doesn't sound legitim anymore, I cannot understand 90% of the new changes at all, big steps backwards and no improvements.

Fortunately, the sound designer read this thread. I agree that good sound desging is an important matter. Can we imagine Battlefield 1 being as succesful as it is without good sound design? I don't think so.

Yeah, it seems sound designer has troubles with making animals sound believable. Big problems are walking sounds, which do not belong to living creatures walking on the dirt or grass at all.  All of them are bad. Every animal that was changed has at least one sound that needs to be redone from scratch. Sadly to say, there are big steps backwards... I'm looking at you, raptor 

I'll have to make a larger reply to this after I've delved into the newest patch fully. But for now, all I can say is...I STILL want the Quetzal to have it's old 'Qua Qua Qua' idle sound...and having it's 'hurt' sound seems unfitting in it's flight idle sounds...

Poor us veterans...we got so use to many things and now have to cope with a lot of changes that aren't improvements very much =( Keep at it Ark team, you'll get there hopefully.

Here is my feedback on the sounds.

1.) Ptera: The pig sounds. It seems like pigs were used as a sample for a lot of the sounds. To me, it doesn't fit the creature. They're small, quick critters. It would seem more appropriate if smaller predatory birds were used to sample the sounds.

2.) Quetz: The sound used the quetz isn't a bad sound, just does not seem to fit. To me, the classic ock ock ock had a much better fit. This one sounds like it would have been better suited for a land carnivore.

3.) Argent: Seems too shrill and hawk like, also at some points sounds like a man trying to impersonate a bird. I think a sampling of vulture sounds would be better for this. Grunts, crackles, and hisses.

4.) Parasaur: I'm sorry, but this strikes me as a lazy attempt. The hippo grunts? The direct ripoff of the JP parasaur bellow (also featured as Toothless' roar in HTTYD)? Lazy sound creation. There are genuine recreations of parasaur sounds available based on their anatomy that are very distinctive and haunting. This one is almost offensive to me.

5.) Rex: Was moving in the right direction but lacked umph. A good example of realistic but still threatening rex sounds would be Saurian's rex sounds, created by sampling creatures auch as bull gators. Deep, hissing bellows versus the over exaggerated JP style bellow.

6.) Direwolf: Howl does not seem deep throated enough. Also the level up sound...gracious. I own two GSDs and I don't think even at their whiniest they've ever reached that high pitched sound. It's far too chihuahua esque.

7.) Pachy: ...more pig sampling noises? For goodness sakes, what is this.

A general observation on the birds....birds do not have gums or real teeth. Why all the loud smacking?  Its obnoxious and ignores anatomy. The sounds should be tearing or beak clacking, not sloppy someone chewing with their mouth open.

Hi, composer of ARK here, I'm going to try and respond to the feedback. There are definitely issues, which have been raised, but like every change, there's pros and cons. Here's some insight...

- So, with regards to the combat music, I'll try and explain the intention. 

What ARK has had until now is two combat tracks, one for day, and one for night. And that's it. 

The idea was to expand it to the following:

Combat tracks for day and night, per biome, and for 'heavy' combat situations and 'light' combat situations.

So for example for 1 biome you would have.

1) Grasslands Day Heavy, 2) Grasslands Day Light, 3) Grasslands Night Heavy, 4) Grasslands Night Light

The goal was to make each biome feel different and more environmentally appropriate. Jungle combat music should sound like you are in the jungle, etc...The other goal of having this music is to provide a sense of progression. The combat music needs to sound different from the boss fights, which need to sound different from the end-game, etc... So there is a sense of progression throughout the game. The variety is supposed to aid that.

Firstly, from what I can gather from various feedback, many feel that the combat music is too light. But I find it more likely that you have probably been hearing the 'light' mixes too much, and the 'heavy' mixes not enough. I say this, because some of the heavy tracks are...pretty heavy.

That said, with the 'light' music, do enough people really want super heavy urgent music playing when they are fighting something that is relatively not dangerous? If that's the case, then my judgement was wrong, and we need to change the implementation of the music. 

Secondly, I'm not sure after the patch barely being out for 48 hours that everyone can possibly have experienced the entire range of battle tracks. If you had, you'd know that the Grasslands Day Heavy and Grasslands Night Heavy music is the 'old' combat music. This old combat music that is liked by many is actually still in the game, it just plays in a different situation and not 'every' situation.

Thirdly, I can totally understand why the combat music change might bother some people. Many of you have been playing the game for almost 2 years. I imagine if I'd been playing something for 2 years and it was something I had positive experiences with - I wouldn't want it to change either. It's human nature to grow attached to something that one associates positive experiences with. Unfortunately, the flipside of that is - I don't think it's a great idea to go into the release of the game with just 2 combat tracks. I hope people can understand why that's not a great idea.

Most importantly - and I cannot re-iterate this enough, this music is not final. There will be at least one more pass on every track before final release, with one major addition that should add a ton of energy to all the tracks.  

This is my first early access game as a composer, and there are some very unique challenges (players growing attached to tracks that I personally regard as 'temp' is a new and unexpected phenomenon for me). It's cool that people like 'version 1' of a track, but at the same time, 'version 1' is not always the best solution, and you have to go through v2,v3,v4,v5 - however many necessary to get to the final result (which can sometimes end up being v1!). Early access opens this entire process up, which I'm not used to. As a composer, there are major pros and cons to open development like this, just as there are major pros and cons to closed development - that's for another post another time.

I'm weighing up the feedback, both good and bad (yes, there is both, even in this thread).   I also think that in a game with millions of players, it's likely impossible to please everyone (many of you play with the music off!). 

Moving forward.

The biggest issue that'll definitely be resolved is tracks not starting with enough urgency (this includes the heavier tracks). That's actually been a known issue for a while (this music was submitted in February). The intros for the tracks need to be a lot more dynamic, it'll be a lot better.

I think we can tweak the implementation of the 'light' combat music so that it doesn't play so often, as it seems to me, that's what people are hearing a lot. Or we can remove it entirely, I'm not sure yet. I'm not directly responsible for the implementation but I can make recommendations for tweaks.

In the meantime, please bear with me/us, I think by the time we get to a final release, 1) the shock of the battle music change - you'll be more accustomed to it - that is a big part of some of the reaction I'm hearing now - this wasn't unexpected as it's human nature to be resistant to change 2) everything on the music side will be way more polished 3) the implementation will possibly be tweaked.. You don't have too long to wait for the next pass.

Thanks for reading this giant post!

4 hours ago, gccomposer said:

Hi, composer of ARK here, I'm going to try and respond to the feedback. There are definitely issues, which have been raised, but like every change, there's pros and cons. Here's some insight...

- So, with regards to the combat music, I'll try and explain the intention. 

What ARK has had until now is two combat tracks, one for day, and one for night. And that's it. 

The idea was to expand it to the following:

Combat tracks for day and night, per biome, and for 'heavy' combat situations and 'light' combat situations.

So for example for 1 biome you would have.

1) Grasslands Day Heavy, 2) Grasslands Day Light, 3) Grasslands Night Heavy, 4) Grasslands Night Light

The goal was to make each biome feel different and more environmentally appropriate. Jungle combat music should sound like you are in the jungle, etc...The other goal of having this music is to provide a sense of progression. The combat music needs to sound different from the boss fights, which need to sound different from the end-game, etc... So there is a sense of progression throughout the game. The variety is supposed to aid that.

Firstly, from what I can gather from various feedback, many feel that the combat music is too light. But I find it more likely that you have probably been hearing the 'light' mixes too much, and the 'heavy' mixes not enough. I say this, because some of the heavy tracks are...pretty heavy.

That said, with the 'light' music, do enough people really want super heavy urgent music playing when they are fighting something that is relatively not dangerous? If that's the case, then my judgement was wrong, and we need to change the implementation of the music. 

Secondly, I'm not sure after the patch barely being out for 48 hours that everyone can possibly have experienced the entire range of battle tracks. If you had, you'd know that the Grasslands Day Heavy and Grasslands Night Heavy music is the 'old' combat music. This old combat music that is liked by many is actually still in the game, it just plays in a different situation and not 'every' situation.

Thirdly, I can totally understand why the combat music change might bother some people. Many of you have been playing the game for almost 2 years. I imagine if I'd been playing something for 2 years and it was something I had positive experiences with - I wouldn't want it to change either. It's human nature to grow attached to something that one associates positive experiences with. Unfortunately, the flipside of that is - I don't think it's a great idea to go into the release of the game with just 2 combat tracks. I hope people can understand why that's not a great idea.

Most importantly - and I cannot re-iterate this enough, this music is not final. There will be at least one more pass on every track before final release, with one major addition that should add a ton of energy to all the tracks.  

This is my first early access game as a composer, and there are some very unique challenges (players growing attached to tracks that I personally regard as 'temp' is a new and unexpected phenomenon for me). It's cool that people like 'version 1' of a track, but at the same time, 'version 1' is not always the best solution, and you have to go through v2,v3,v4,v5 - however many necessary to get to the final result (which can sometimes end up being v1!). Early access opens this entire process up, which I'm not used to. As a composer, there are major pros and cons to open development like this, just as there are major pros and cons to closed development - that's for another post another time.

I'm weighing up the feedback, both good and bad (yes, there is both, even in this thread).   I also think that in a game with millions of players, it's likely impossible to please everyone (many of you play with the music off!). 

Moving forward.

The biggest issue that'll definitely be resolved is tracks not starting with enough urgency (this includes the heavier tracks). That's actually been a known issue for a while (this music was submitted in February). The intros for the tracks need to be a lot more dynamic, it'll be a lot better.

I think we can tweak the implementation of the 'light' combat music so that it doesn't play so often, as it seems to me, that's what people are hearing a lot. Or we can remove it entirely, I'm not sure yet. I'm not directly responsible for the implementation but I can make recommendations for tweaks.

In the meantime, please bear with me/us, I think by the time we get to a final release, 1) the shock of the battle music change - you'll be more accustomed to it - that is a big part of some of the reaction I'm hearing now - this wasn't unexpected as it's human nature to be resistant to change 2) everything on the music side will be way more polished 3) the implementation will possibly be tweaked.. You don't have too long to wait for the next pass.

Firstly, if you are really the composer working for Wildcard, please request an official "Wildcard Staff" account. Owing to the fact you have "Early birds" rank, makes your claims quite untrustworthy regardless if you say truth.

Secondly, regarding the music, it is quite difficult to give the feedback on the music if it is not being played all the time in the background. Your music only plays when something triggers it, like combat. In other cases there is total silence. You walk through the jungle? You hear nothing. You walk through meadow? You hear nothing. I wondered for very long time why there is none soundtrack being played in the background all the time like in Skyrim or in any other RPG games. It must be improved.

Finally, the main point of this thread was to give feedback on new dinosaurs sounds and so far they had been done quite poorly for certain animals (But yeah music fits here too). We pointed out that walking sounds must stop sound like bipedal AT-ST, but in 257 animals got such sounds yet again. Quetzal got honking in every sound makes the animal sounds so out of place. For unknown reason its old pain sounds was added to its idle sounds confusing players significantly. Do not reuse sounds that meant something completely different in the past. I will be reminding this constatly, remake all raptors sounds from scratch ASAP. 

Now that I've listened more, I realized that other new sound I was hearing was coming from the Quetzals as well.  It's their eating sound.  I actually like this one a lot.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:44 AM, gccomposer said:

[snip]

I, for one, am enjoying all of the new tracks immensely.

On 5/8/2017 at 1:44 AM, gccomposer said:

Most importantly - and I cannot re-iterate this enough, this music is not final.

well thank god for that i only figured out it was combat music when i saw a raptor in my egg farm trying to kill one of my stegos one more bite and it would have likely dropped dead.. but yes you are most certainly right the tracks dont start off urgent enough even the "light" one should make a player think oh crap somethings being attacked i need to drop everything and get on that.

Archived