Rafts no longer viable in any way

fruitofvictory

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I tried so far (will update as I try):

(1) Running away (as suggested by WC in the patch notes): no deal, the fish can keep up with your raft and still attack

(2) Sunken foundations: no deal, the attack area in front of its head is too large, it will affect you raft directly, without any damage to the foundations. In fact it doesn't damage anything else, neither my animals nor torches or storage boxes get damaged (tested with stone and metal foundations).

Next step is trying to build a wide area of foundations and build walls down deep, so it cannot reach the raft. Of course this is purely for testing purposes, as such structure will not leave any parts for actually putting useful stuff on the raft.

1 hour ago, catnip said:

This is really bad news for anyone on Center servers. A raft is vital for travel there when you are just starting out. 

Have to wonder if they even bother beta testing anything any more!

You... you realize WE are the beta testers, right? "early access" means beta.

That being said, many of the changes shouldn't need to be thrown in for testing, they should have realized how bad some of these changes were without putting them in for testing.

so i used a magnifying glass on the leeds. A lv 15 has about 6.5k hp.

They added the ability to place turrets underwater. Could you use that AND have lets say an aggressive mosa or a couple plesis following the raft? That is a lot but not an extreme amount of hp, and they may aggro it before it attacks the boat.

Just now, Prat said:

You... you realize WE are the beta testers, right? "early access" means beta.

That being said, many of the changes shouldn't need to be thrown in for testing, they should have realized how bad some of these changes were without putting them in for testing.

As someone who has beta tested multiple games this is not how a beta test is done. If they want it beta tested than advertise it as beta testing. Not as early access. With early access you expect to use the product ahead of time, with new content added that has been beta tested and only needs fine tuning or tweaking not a complet overhaul. With beta testing you expect things like this and are told ahead of time what you will be working on. You are generally asked whenever you log out to give input on what you were testing. You also know that what you were working on is not permanent. You know it will be wiped.

We have been told that servers will not be wiped upon release so many folks have put a lot of heart and soul into developing their bases and devoted multiple hours into breeding and taming. Using the early access as your beta test is only going to anger your player base, especially if you keep them in the dark about big changes such as the flyer nerf. So no, Early Access is NOT beta testing.

22 hours ago, Bugg said:

If they made it so the Leed could damage, say, wood or something and couldn't damage stone or metal, then the timers would take care of the rest. Eventually the structures would despawn if the players weren't active, and the raft would be open for a Leed to attack. As it stands yes, there is no point sinking 5k metal into a raft if it's the same as sailing around naked.

Is it's aggro range as bad as the eels where if you render it in, it comes to kill you?

15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

is it "accidentally" clipping through sunken foundations too?

Also, this. Why is this thing half-ghost? It should not be able to hit the raft without going through the defenses. And if foundations are not intended to be sunk into the raft, it's time to put another boat or boats to build into the game. 

22 hours ago, Kayin said:

Also,   does this thing come into shallow waters?   I.e  if I hug the coast  will I be alright?    I assume the sheer size of that thing will prevent it from coming to the top shelf. 

Having done a fresh wilddinowipe on my private server, they do come all the way to the coast, actually saw many (mind you I was the only one on server), that were almost like a beached whale.

They are not agressive toward humans. You can go next to one, hit E get 50 meat every 10 mins off it and it wont do nothing to you...but rafts...oh boy.

13 minutes ago, Vaskur said:

You know that sunken foudnations are a thing, devs are not happy to see?

So they are neutral, and will get instant aggressive, if there is a raft within their aggro range? 

R.I.P. raft-Trolls... :D

If they're not happy to see it, why haven't they done anything about it lmao? Nothing in this game is beyond their control. As of today sinking foundations is a mechanic and it's one that people pour hours into building boats because of. Building a cool raft is one of my favourite things to do. Rafts are also the best way to travel long distances and carry huge amounts of material, as long as you can get to and fro by water. Why not make dinos that work with the mechanic instead of ignoring it? Every other dino in the game is limited in what it can damage - thatch, wood, stone, metal. Why not integrate that mechanic with the sunken foundations instead of ruining a part of the game that's fun and gives players many hours of game time?

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

If they're not happy to see it, why haven't they done anything about it lmao? Nothing in this game is beyond their control. As of today sinking foundations is a mechanic and it's one that people pour hours into building boats because of. Building a cool raft is one of my favourite things to do. Rafts are also the best way to travel long distances and carry huge amounts of material, as long as you can get to and fro by water. Why not make dinos that work with the mechanic instead of ignoring it? Every other dino in the game is limited in what it can damage - thatch, wood, stone, metal. Why not integrate that mechanic with the sunken foundations instead of ruining a part of the game that's fun and gives players many hours of game time?

it´s just the same a with the Box-Quetz issue. it´s possible but not allowed... but there is still no way to enable it... seems like its been told several times... first content, then adjustment.

2 minutes ago, Vaskur said:

it´s just the same a with the Box-Quetz issue. it´s possible but not allowed... but there is still no way to enable it... seems like its been told several times... first content, then adjustment.

Oh plz, it's amazing what people with no dev experience will believe. All they'd have to do is make foundations collide with the platforms to stop it from happening. They've had years to do it. Simple fact is people are using this mechanic and it's become an integral part of the game. Pretending it's not there just annoys everyone who's using it. Who wants to raft around on the actual boring tiny flat raft? Not me lol.

3 minutes ago, Kayin said:

You don't have to sink foundations to encase your boat in metal.     

Sure. You just have to use so many construction parts that you haven't got enough space left to make the raft useful, is all. Sunken foundations are really the only way to go, unless they increase the number of slots you have on your raft to build things. 

1 minute ago, fruitofvictory said:

Sure. You just have to use so many construction parts that you haven't got enough space left to make the raft useful, is all. Sunken foundations are really the only way to go, unless they increase the number of slots you have on your raft to build things. 

In either case the fish shouldn't be clipping straight through to the raft. If C4 wouldn't go through why should a fish's head?

Archived