Flyer Nerf Appreciation Thread

BulletForce

4 hours ago, Sigin said:

Then you are screwed or you should also bring some flyer as small mule for bronto ... but this is not balance problem, its player problem that makes land dinos useless no matter what ... thats cost of PvE server ... if you dont want that to happen go to PvP or gather metal from smaller nodes on other mountains ... balancing all dinos around something so unpredictable and player driven will make even bigger mess ... and to the volcano ... in last patch notes there was something about volcano exploding, but it was not added in the end, so we might expect this to prevent anybody building in volcano into future

No, it means that such a flight nerf, just isn't viable on PvE, unless they plan to somehow counter these issues. Volcano is not the only location with a single path and as mentioned, there are many bottlenecks on the map, where ground travel can easily be blocked for a long distance by a base blocking a single choke point, which happens often. There should be no specific foolish price for choosing to play PvE, not if there is intelligent design in the process. PvE, is an open world sandpit for non-competative players to enjoy the game as they wish. Unfortunately, there is always an uncaring element involved, in any multiplayer experience, whether a griefer/troll or just oblivious to consequences of their actions to other players. The simple answer here, was simply to allow PvE players to fly over such impediments. Citing such things as a lack of challenge is ridiculous, as the moment one has a few rex, an allo pack, a giga, there is no particular challenge, short of coming across a rampaging wild giga, which isn't terribly common anyway. I personally would be all for a more ground based game, but it simply is not going to be plausible in the PvE environment, unless they decide to exert extreme controls on where people can build. It would seem allowing good fliers, is easier, and more reasonable, than policing every server and blocking large sections of the map from being built upon. Simply stating tough, you're screwed is a fairly thoughtless approach, as I think my argument here retains a fairly strong logic behind it.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, BulletForce said:

Your part of the safe space generation of gamers. Players who can't handle competition, can't handle difficulty and are always looking for an easy way out be it through using mods or admin cheats in order to sidestep anything that might challenge them. 

It's players like you that help ruin good games by forcing developers to dumb them down to the point that even a donkey could be an expert at it. The majority of players don't want that to happen to ARK, they like their game hard and brutal with a strategic depth rarely seen in online games.

Wow. I am stunned by how well you completely missed the point of what I'm saying. You're either a rank-amateur troll, or don't comprehend well.

I honestly don't care how they balance the PvP game, so long as it doesn't wreck PvE servers like ours. If you have time to spend more than 1-2 hours per day in a game, then perhaps slowing the whole game down is fine for you. Most people on my server have families, jobs, and can't spend their whole lives in ARK.

This update makes a lot of things in the game take much longer than before, and there is no setting to adjust it. That's what we have a problem with. We aren't going to play a game which requires us to make a career out of it. Games are for fun. This flyer-destroying nerf took most of the fun out of ARK, by increasing the mundane, no-challenge grind.

I would much rather see large carnivores like Spinos, Rexes, Allosaurs, and Gigas have the ability to grab flyers and dismount their riders. Therizinos, too. Brontos should be able to knock flyers silly with a tail attack. Would like to see spiders and arthropleura outside caves.

Hard and brutal we enjoy. Tedious and boring is not hard and brutal... it's just tedious and boring.

3 hours ago, MaximumCat said:

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the 67% off sale, right?

I said nothing about the reason it stayed the same. That is not my buisness. All I did was check the numbers and they were the same.

you guys think wildcard are bad buisness people. What you fail to realize is a good business man is not a good person. He is not there for you, he is there for him and his family. I am not saying he is evil but it is his job to make you buy the product regardless of anything. He sells stuff, you buy it. End of story after that.

dont give me the usual arguments. It will fall on deaf ears. You can say you got cheated, and you can say you got lied to, but for the love of god don't say they don't how how to do buisness, because they are very good at it.

3 hours ago, TheNudeNerd said:

I'm happy to see the nerf. It may be extreme and I'm sure they'll adjust it from what it is right now, but it definitely was needed. There was very little need for traveling across land once you had flyers before the nerf.

Even though I am an advocate for the nerf, please specify that the flyers you were talking about had a much faster speed than was needed. Before breeding happened, a perfect tame 150 bird with all points in speed was fast but nothing like these birds that people have tortured into forced breeding and taken advantage of.

breeding in the first place was why this nerf actually came about. I do not speak for wildcard and will not try to. All I am saying is after breeding we actually heard of 300 or 400% birds.

back when I used to rant and rave in the forums I had a few problems. Those problems were, cross ark, breeding, and alphas. My issues still remain the same.

i actually want to take the time to thank everyone for using/abusing the breeding that was brought about. It wasn't me that made the nerf happen. Rather you like it or not it is every single person that is complaining right now that caused this nerf. If you can't see that then..... ok ?

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

I said nothing about the reason it stayed the same. That is not my buisness. All I did was check the numbers and they were the same.

you guys think wildcard are bad buisness people. What you fail to realize is a good business man is not a good person. He is not there for you, he is there for him and his family. I am not saying he is evil but it is his job to make you buy the product regardless of anything. He sells stuff, you buy it. End of story after that.

dont give me the usual arguments. It will fall on deaf ears. You can say you got cheated, and you can say you got lied to, but for the love of god don't say they don't how how to do buisness, because they are very good at it.

My, aren't we full of assumptions? I am a businessman. I merely pointed out a fact.

6 hours ago, TheNudeNerd said:

I'm happy to see the nerf. It may be extreme and I'm sure they'll adjust it from what it is right now, but it definitely was needed. There was very little need for traveling across land once you had flyers before the nerf.

Yep flyers have the game content trivial and rendered land dinos obsolete. I am and so many others are glad this game has ended its little experiment in air power. Going forward we will see a much more balanced and interesting ARK with many strategic options available then in the past.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:46 PM, 3mptylord said:

I'm all for nerfing, but my previously level 400 pteranodon with close to 50 points in Stamina can barely make the flight to herbivore island from the mainland with the new values.

What's a new player's level 10 ptera going to achieve? Taking off before having to land again? 

Thats absolute bs, just tamed a fresh lvl 150 ptera and though it only had 300 stam after it was ours it now has nowhere near 50 level ups total, just around 20 in stam and can fly from east redwood base to red obi in one flight.  Your bred ptera should do it with better weight.

36 minutes ago, Gilgamesh908 said:

Thats absolute bs, just tamed a fresh lvl 150 ptera and though it only had 300 stam after it was ours it now has nowhere near 50 level ups total, just around 20 in stam and can fly from east redwood base to red obi in one flight.  Your bred ptera should do it with better weight.

He didn't level it 50 times into stamina. It had 50 points allocated into base stamina. You've misunderstood. 

On 04/04/2017 at 6:25 AM, BulletForce said:

Yep flyers have the game content trivial and rendered land dinos obsolete. I am and so many others are glad this game has ended its little experiment in air power. Going forward we will see a much more balanced and interesting ARK with many strategic options available then in the past.

You could really see it too. The only 'new' dinosaurs that where used after their novelty wore off was gatherers like beavers and doeds and attack dinosaurs like allos. That's because every single hauler or small mount was overshadowed by either the ptera or quetz. I never tamed a diplo, or a galli, or even a paracer because what's the point? Now I actually have a reason to tame things and experiment. I don't care if it means people have to change their playstyles and it makes PvP and grinding harder, it means we actually get to use all the dinosaurs in the game. 

30 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

He didn't level it 50 times into stamina. It had 50 points allocated into base stamina. You've misunderstood. 

in that case he should be able to fly even farther with a modicum of level ups in stamina as mine has no where near that since you aren't putting those points into speed now.  Point still stands.

Alls I know is when this hits XB1 PVE I stop playing. 

Lots of great info/points here for what's to come, surprised so many still play. I have around 6 Petra and 4 Tapa eggs we were gonna hatch this weekend but that's now canceled as what's the point.

Do you have to actually LAND the quetz for stamina now or can u still just dismount and wait?? If not I'm sure that's coming next. 

Good Luck land lovers   you have won!

On 4/1/2017 at 2:19 AM, Seven777 said:

Your a deadset raptorwit mate. Flyers are useless now, the raptors the point in nerfing poop to the point that they are slower than we can run? Why do devs do things that they know people won't like? Change poop like server crashes, add things that people will enjoy, and you may get more players to stay and have less leave because they don't like it. Most of us who work full time and then some enjoy being able to do faster meat runs etc. not now. Biggest mistake yet. Please, don't wake up breathing tomorrow after making a stupid post like this. Asshole. 

I think you need more salt in your life son

45 minutes ago, Typh39 said:

Remember, to complain to the world militaries for their OP Air-forces. Maybe they too, can be nerfed.

There's a massive difference in real war and video games... war is for actual life or death and us keeping a "nerfed" air force doesn't make sense because we don't fight for fun, if we fight its to win, and protect actual lives of our people. If you lose a real war, people don't raptoring respawn, they don't just rage quit and spend the rest of the day raging on a forum, THEY LITERALLY ARE DEAD FOREVER and likely leave a family that loved and depended on them behind. Don't you dare compare war to such a trivial thing as a simple video game.   Back on topic a video game is designed for entertainment and should be fun though for all players and thus should be fair for everyone to play, therefore we balance game mechanics so things are overpowered overshadowing entire portions of the game.

• 5 months later...
On 29/09/2017 at 6:54 AM, KapinCrunch212 said:

Flyer nerf was okay just wish stamina was decent on birds

To be honest I think the general consensus was a nerf of sort was needed. But not to the extent that happened amd surely there was other ways of doing it. Like capping the speed of flyers. Pteranadons seem fine, argies ok. Still can't look at a quetz with bursting into tears though lol

22 minutes ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

It's pretty damn telling to me that quite a few people in this thread for or against the nerf don't bother posting on here anymore. Guessing the change made them get bored and move on to other games. ? 

Probably got bored of the grind, oh the irony lol xD

Archived