Flyer Nerf Appreciation Thread

BulletForce

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MaximumCat said:

My gaming guild runs our own private server. Every person on my server tried playing on official servers, and quickly grew tired of the cancerous community. So, we formed our own server. We were extremely happy with ARK for two years - until this update. No warning was given for how brutal this nerf would be. We were sucker-punched by WC, and we're not happy. If not for the "Classic Flyers" mod being developed so quickly, my whole guild would have quit ARK and moved on to another game en-masse. That said, our breeding population of Quetzals, Argentavis, Pteranodons, Pelagornis, etc... completely ruined. Thousands upon thousands of hours of staying up late, setting alarms to wake in the middle of the night to give care, etc... completely ripped away by this heavy-handed, sneaky nerf.

I think your attitude toward the game is toxic. If you don't care about the community being happy with the game, then you do not care whether or not the game itself survives.

Snide remarks like yours do nothing to help the situation. Go look at ARK's Steam Store page. Notice that the positive ratings for the last 30 days are down to 53%, from 71%... in two days. The game is not fine after this nerf. It's in dire need of a solution which does not bleed off a huge portion of the community. WC put the game's bottom line in jeopardy with this nerf.

1400+ new negative reviews have appeared on ARK's Steam Store page in two days. Negative reviews are still pouring in.

I hope WC does something quickly, to rectify this problem. Would love to see ARK succeed, but this kind of developer behavior in applying changes is not utilizing effective change-management strategy.

Your part of the safe space generation of gamers. Players who can't handle competition, can't handle difficulty and are always looking for an easy way out be it through using mods or admin cheats in order to sidestep anything that might challenge them. 

It's players like you that help ruin good games by forcing developers to dumb them down to the point that even a donkey could be an expert at it. The majority of players don't want that to happen to ARK, they like their game hard and brutal with a strategic depth rarely seen in online games.

3 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Exactly, so if they don't want to push a few more buttons then that is lazy even by lazy standards ?

I get what you are saying though

If you make something more difficult to do, that is less intuitive. Less intuitive = bad design. I know it must be difficult for you to be part of the extreme minority of people who actually supports this change and happens to love gagging down everything Wildcard shoves down your throat, but you're wrong. If they keep these changes then they are benefiting the few, the minority under the guise of their "vision" and by doing so are making a terrible mistake, which isn't surprising as it's been a continuous trend. Calling anyone "lazy" isn't an argument. There simply is no argument to be made. If an action that used to take two actions/clicks previously, for instance sorting an inventory alphabetically, now takes four actions, calling someone lazy simply because you just cannot own the fact that you're wrong is, oddly enough, lazy. Defend the subject at hand. Explain how having to do MORE to do the exact same thing as pre-patch is better? That's this particular argument. There's nothing bad about a person being wrong, but it's a ridiculous character flaw when you believe everything you do (coughwildcardcough) is right, despite the deafening chorus of voices saying otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Paultron89 said:

If you make something more difficult to do, that is less intuitive. Less intuitive = bad design. I know it must be difficult for you to be part of the extreme minority of people who actually supports this change and happens to love gagging down everything Wildcard shoves down your throat, but you're wrong. If they keep these changes then they are benefiting the few, the minority under the guise of their "vision" and by doing so are making a terrible mistake, which isn't surprising as it's been a continuous trend. Calling anyone "lazy" isn't an argument. There simply is no argument to be made. If an action that used to take two actions/clicks previously, for instance sorting an inventory alphabetically, now takes four actions, calling someone lazy simply because you just cannot own the fact that you're wrong is, oddly enough, lazy. Defend the subject at hand. Explain how having to do MORE to do the exact same thing as pre-patch is better? That's this particular argument. There's nothing bad about a person being wrong, but it's a ridiculous character flaw when you believe everything you do (coughwildcardcough) is right, despite the deafening chorus of voices saying otherwise.

You can have your opinion. And I still say it is laziness. 

And since every nerf hasn't made the player base drop(even this one) it's not a big deal. The nerf was a good idea. When they decide on the small amount of speed to give back they will do so. The smaller the better. Atleast we know it will not fully be reverted 

Gotta love these un

15 minutes ago, Paultron89 said:

So to sum up everything, you're lazy and want the game to be easy again.

It's okay to admit that! No need to overdress your words and exaggerate everything. 

18 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Really shouldn't call people names. It's very rude.

and the nerf was to stop people from being lazy.

If you had read previous posts, you will know I was speaking about the PVP players who whine, whinge, moan, etc. because things are too hard from them, and want to make it easy. Calling them, collectively, an arsehat, is not singling anyone out. And lazy? I would contemplate what I wanted to do at my base, what changes I wanted to make, spot any potential threats to myself, my neighbors, and think of how to deal with said threat. Now, I have to watch for said threats, and watch where I land, how high I fly, etc. And worry whether, or not, if I look away at something the wrong moment, I could injure, or even kill a flyer. And forget about doing a whole lot on my land mount, aside from gathering around my base. With the wrong mounts, with potential gigas in my area, I could get my mount, and myself, killed. So, being lazy? No, being smart, and actually playing the game, not trying to kill myself, my mounts, nor the people on my server. And if you look at the steam store for the game, and look at the actual statistics, there are people who left the game, and wrote bad reviews. The population used to be about 70k, now it's down to 55k, and maybe going down even more. So, if you think I am attacking any one single person, think again, I was tired from the PVP'ers taking over SWTOR, now they are doing the same for this game.

1 minute ago, SirTwist said:

If you had read previous posts, you will know I was speaking about the PVP players who whine, whinge, moan, etc. because things are too hard from them, and want to make it easy. Calling them, collectively, an arsehat, is not singling anyone out. And lazy? I would contemplate what I wanted to do at my base, what changes I wanted to make, spot any potential threats to myself, my neighbors, and think of how to deal with said threat. Now, I have to watch for said threats, and watch where I land, how high I fly, etc. And worry whether, or not, if I look away at something the wrong moment, I could injure, or even kill a flyer. And forget about doing a whole lot on my land mount, aside from gathering around my base. With the wrong mounts, with potential gigas in my area, I could get my mount, and myself, killed. So, being lazy? No, being smart, and actually playing the game, not trying to kill myself, my mounts, nor the people on my server. And if you look at the steam store for the game, and look at the actual statistics, there are people who left the game, and wrote bad reviews. The population used to be about 70k, now it's down to 55k, and maybe going down even more. So, if you think I am attacking any one single person, think again, I was tired from the PVP'ers taking over SWTOR, now they are doing the same for this game.

Welcome to a survival game. It's now time to survive 

7 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Welcome to a survival game. It's now time to survive 

Yep surviving in a survival game fancy that. 

10 minutes ago, SirTwist said:

The majority of players whinging about the new patch are PVE players and by the sounds of it they all stubbornly want to refuse to use any kind of land dino to move around, instead demanding they be allowed to zip around in fighter jets. Fair and balanced are words unknown to them.

Well, if you had everything you owned demolished by a pack of allos, a giga, or an alpha dino, then you would realize that going by land by anything other than a really high level, high speed, land dino, is a good way to kill yourself, and your dino. So, if I follow the logic of the pvp'ers, who's only mission is to kill each other in the quickest way possible, I should either be on foot, all the time, or on some land dino that I can't carry anything in, or get someplace safe to mine metal? Well, that's why we don't want this nerf, and to roll it back all the way. Flying wasn't just used, by me, to just zip around, being lazy, it was a time to think, contemplate, plan, design, and even get from point a to point b without worrying about being killed. Now I have to worry about that, so thank you so very much for this crap.

6 minutes ago, SirTwist said:

Well, if you had everything you owned demolished by a pack of allos, a giga, or an alpha dino, then you would realize that going by land by anything other than a really high level, high speed, land dino, is a good way to kill yourself, and your dino. So, if I follow the logic of the pvp'ers, who's only mission is to kill each other in the quickest way possible, I should either be on foot, all the time, or on some land dino that I can't carry anything in, or get someplace safe to mine metal? Well, that's why we don't want this nerf, and to roll it back all the way. Flying wasn't just used, by me, to just zip around, being lazy, it was a time to think, contemplate, plan, design, and even get from point a to point b without worrying about being killed. Now I have to worry about that, so thank you so very much for this crap.

ARK is a survival game. The bubble wrap has come off you need to learn how to play the game again. Its a dangerous world out there.

Next time maybe you should take a Rex / Giga yourself then maybe you don't die so easily. Think outside the box, that is what I would have done but then again I haven't spent the last year on a bird skipping over the danger like some.

13 minutes ago, silverayn said:

This nerf was not tested before it was placed there is no way anyone in their right mind would think this was ok. Flyers are useless now and no longer enjoyable unless you love flying all the time 90% over weight.

They are not at all useless. Flyers still fly, just now they are fair and balanced.

Some players have just become so highly dependent on these broken flyer mechanics that they cannot fathom life without them. There are a multitude of dinos to use other then flyers to transport large quantities of materials around the map such as Brontos, Paracers, Diplos, Mammoths and Mosasaurs. 

Players just need to try new things and not rely on the stale old meta that has now been consigned to the history books.

42 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

They are not at all useless. Flyers still fly, just now they are fair and balanced.

Some players have just become so highly dependent on these broken flyer mechanics that they cannot fathom life without them. There are a multitude of dinos to use other then flyers to transport large quantities of materials around the map such as Brontos, Paracers, Diplos, Mammoths and Mosasaurs. 

Players just need to try new things and not rely on the stale old meta that has now been consigned to the history books.

Oh BulletForce, you're so stuck on this argument... since you seem to have run from the other thread, I'll post this here as it applies to this content as well... =)

48 minutes ago, BulletForce said:

The devs do not want players to use just a few mounts. It's not about creating a time sink its about balance and fair game play. What is the point in having 100 dinos if players only use 5?? The mistake of the devs has been to wait this long to balance the game and therefore allow players to form bad habits.

Hmmm... form bad habbits... Players will gravitate to what works, that is the nature of things... if they want other dinos to be attractive to players, they should make them more attractive... look, there are a lot of dinos that are used heavily... when I want to harvest metal, I have a dino for that...when I want to harvest meat, I have a dino for that, when I want to fight bosses, I have dinos for that... the flyer never has been the end-all of this game, it's very good at what it does and there's nothing wrong with that. 

Flyers were being exploited in very specific ways for PvP... those issues could have been targeted and fixed without taking the rest away as they did...now the flyers are extremely limited in what they can do, and largely useless for much of what they were used for previously.  Yes, players adapt.  Yes, there are other ways to get stuff done...but every single one of them takes more time and forces us to slog through trivial content...content that isn't interesting because the CONTENT isn't interesting...they should fix the CONTENT.  At the end of the day, all this has accomplished is add more grind to the game, make everything take more time, and increase the tedium of the game... maybe that's what all y'all PvP'ers get off on, I don't know, I play PvE...and in PvE this makes no sense... I'm not going to gain anything of value from slogging through a bunch of lame dismounters because they are trivial, they are obnoxious, they are lame, they're a cheap "challenge", and I chose to fly above them because I had no desire to deal with them... I love my Allosaur pack, will they now take that away too because they trivialize lame content too?  and make no bones about it, my Allosaur pack destroys every threat I've come across, so they truly do trivialize most of the content...

And while we're on the subject, what about Rexes?  Does anyone take any other dino to a boss fight?  do they take more than 5 different types of dinos to a boss fight?  can you even take a flyer to a boss fight? I mean seriously, what is the point in having 100 dinos if players only use 5?  do we now nerf all the rest of the game so that more than just a few dinos can be used for boss fights?  Why can I not take a dodo army to beat a boss, the dodo's have been trivialized too...think of the poor dodos!!  #dodolivesmatter

1 hour ago, itdocman said:

Oh BulletForce, you're so stuck on this argument... since you seem to have run from the other thread, I'll post this here as it applies to this content as well... =)

The devs do not want players to use just a few mounts. It's not about creating a time sink its about balance and fair game play. What is the point in having 100 dinos if players only use 5?? The mistake of the devs has been to wait this long to balance the game and therefore allow players to form bad habits.

Hmmm... form bad habbits... Players will gravitate to what works, that is the nature of things... if they want other dinos to be attractive to players, they should make them more attractive... look, there are a lot of dinos that are used heavily... when I want to harvest metal, I have a dino for that...when I want to harvest meat, I have a dino for that, when I want to fight bosses, I have dinos for that... the flyer never has been the end-all of this game, it's very good at what it does and there's nothing wrong with that. 

Flyers were being exploited in very specific ways for PvP... those issues could have been targeted and fixed without taking the rest away as they did...now the flyers are extremely limited in what they can do, and largely useless for much of what they were used for previously.  Yes, players adapt.  Yes, there are other ways to get stuff done...but every single one of them takes more time and forces us to slog through trivial content...content that isn't interesting because the CONTENT isn't interesting...they should fix the CONTENT.  At the end of the day, all this has accomplished is add more grind to the game, make everything take more time, and increase the tedium of the game... maybe that's what all y'all PvP'ers get off on, I don't know, I play PvE...and in PvE this makes no sense... I'm not going to gain anything of value from slogging through a bunch of lame dismounters because they are trivial, they are obnoxious, they are lame, they're a cheap "challenge", and I chose to fly above them because I had no desire to deal with them... I love my Allosaur pack, will they now take that away too because they trivialize lame content too?  and make no bones about it, my Allosaur pack destroys every threat I've come across, so they truly do trivialize most of the content...

And while we're on the subject, what about Rexes?  Does anyone take any other dino to a boss fight?  do they take more than 5 different types of dinos to a boss fight?  can you even take a flyer to a boss fight? I mean seriously, what is the point in having 100 dinos if players only use 5?  do we now nerf all the rest of the game so that more than just a few dinos can be used for boss fights?  Why can I not take a dodo army to beat a boss, the dodo's have been trivialized too...think of the poor dodos!!  #dodolivesmatter

agreee 10000% with this. 

2 hours ago, itdocman said:

only thing id like to  add, people keep going on about numbers,

they do realize that people are just "maintaining" their stuff in hopes that there will be adequate buffs?

Of course im not gonna throw thousands of hours away by quitting immediatly, if there is a chance it gets better again, but nerfs like this push it, and if there is no adequate buffs you might see people who got pushed over the point, where they wanna keep their "babys" alive despite the game around them not being enjoyable anymore, just quit.

4 hours ago, itdocman said:

dont agree with you, devs clearly stated that the flier nerf wasnt for PVP, it was even more for PVE and the PVE part of PVP being farming transporting etc.

take your allos for example, yes they kill stuff quick but that doesnt mean they trivialise content. you took time to tame those allos and as a reward they DEAL with the lower lvl content in an easy way. its easy but you still deal with it. compare this to a flier, you dont deal with anything. you just skip it. its like playing an MMO and investing 100 dollars to buy you the endgame stuff at lvl 1. thats skipping stuff. furthermore you unlock the allo saddle at 50 and the ptera at 35. so it would be stupid to be able to do more with the 35 dino than with the 50 dino. dont you think?

On topic of the rexes, right now people Mainly take rexes to the boss fights. that is true. ive seen people take other things too like theris and turtles. but mainly rexes and thats because, right now, rexes just do better than everything else. will it be like this forever? maybe, i doubt it. i think more strategy will be added to these fights. more things will be nerfed/buffed as time goes by, especially since we are heading towards beta and full release. 

Ive seen a bunch of PVE players complaining like they are entitled children. they feel like, compared to PVP players, grinding shouldnt exist in PVE and it should all go smoothly. If you'd let them have their way they would just add unlimited weight backpacks so you could farm the entire island and not get encumbered (remember the quetz anky method pre nerf and the rage when they changed it? i do). PVE doesnt mean skip everything straight into breeding and boss battles. enjoy farming, take your time to look at the beautiful nature of the game when playing. what are all of you PVE players so rushed about? you're not gonna get destroyed or raided? i play PVE myself and i love just exploring around, taking my time to do things. 

On 4/1/2017 at 0:26 PM, BulletForce said:

Flying dinos have been OP in this game right since the beginning but now finally at long last balance has been restored to the world. They are no longer the instant win, supersonic jets of the dino world. No longer the easy mode of transport and no longer the only viable way to move resources around. They are now in line with the other dinos. This change will make PVP combat and raiding far more interesting and varied from the stale meta we have been used to for ages.

The devs deserve a round of applause for their courage in pushing through this change despite the bitter whining of players used to playing in easy mode particularly PVE players. It can't have been easy to go ahead with this given the vocal minorities on this forum preaching for the last few weeks about the end of the world. Well done devs!

I've never seen a human revved so far up dev's arses

ITT: people who need to gitgud

>complaining about flyers picking you off your parasaur lel

1 hour ago, ElCobrito said:

I might even be ok with the nerf, but then I need some ways to be able to fend off and break free of microraptors, thylacoleos, purlovias, kaprosuchuses (this we already have as bolas is are enough). I can only imagine a newbie entering the game and just dying  repeatedly.

There are plenty of dinos that can deal with those threats more then adequately, its not always about the flyer. Maybe in the past it was but this game has evolved past its little experiment in air power.

6 hours ago, BulletForce said:

Your part of the safe space generation of gamers. Players who can't handle competition, can't handle difficulty and are always looking for an easy way out be it through using mods or admin cheats in order to sidestep anything that might challenge them. 

It's players like you that help ruin good games by forcing developers to dumb them down to the point that even a donkey could be an expert at it. The majority of players don't want that to happen to ARK, they like their game hard and brutal with a strategic depth rarely seen in online games.

Its been my experience that games that start out PVE and go PVP tend to ruin themselves.

The "hard players" have PVP servers that PVE players dont play, so how is PVE in any way effecting your experience?
So far, the only ones who are having their experiences ruined is PVE players.

Again, it boils down to "raptor you if you're a non pvper, get out" 

2 minutes ago, Extraterrestrial said:

Its been my experience that games that start out PVE and go PVP tend to ruin themselves.

The "hard players" have PVP servers that PVE players dont play, so how is PVE in any way effecting your experience?
So far, the only ones who are having their experiences ruined is PVE players.

Again, it boils down to "raptor you if you're a non pvper, get out" 

This game was built from the ground up as PVP game. Upon launch into EA it didn't even have PVE servers.

With regard to flyer balance patch and PVE I have seen numerous posts from PVE players that are very supportive of the new balanced flyers. They said they felt that previously flyers trivialized their PVE experience by allowing players just to fly over danger.

Just now, BulletForce said:

This game was built from the ground up as PVP game. Upon launch into EA it didn't even have PVE servers.

With regard to flyer balance patch and PVE I have seen numerous posts from PVE players that are very supportive of the new balanced flyers. They said they felt that previously flyers trivialized their PVE experience by allowing players just to fly over danger.

And I've seen numerous posts from PVE players who are not in favor of the nerf, and that it ruins their experience.

My thoughts about the Flyer Nerf:

I always play on PvP and I even prefer land dinos, but I never had the opinion that Flyers are so OP that they have to be nerfed that hard... A little nerf would be something I support, but not on that large scale. And Pteras should not be able to grab, they already can do that x spin, wich is enough.

The only flyers wich are defenetely OP are wyvern. They could really need a stamina and movement speed nerf... (Or, maybe, add something wyvern riders are really afraid of, their kryptonite, so that players are able to combat them with?)

8 minutes ago, Magnayen11 said:

The only flyers wich are defenetely OP are wyvern. They could really need a stamina and movement speed nerf... (Or, maybe, add something wyvern riders are really afraid of, their kryptonite, so that players are able to combat them with?)

They really should never have added Wyverns... On the one hand, yes, they are overpowered, on the other, they're meant to be overpowered.
Nerfing them is like having your dog fetch a stick, only to beat it with the stick for doing what you asked it to... Honestly, I think that a better way
of having a challenge to raiding nests is to have the parent wyverns actually guarding the nest. You should have to kill a wild wyvern in order to
obtain an egg.

Archived