Flyer Nerf Appreciation Thread

BulletForce

Just now, EridianX said:

Or instead of nerfing all flyers, and i know this sounds crazy, make land dinos BETTER! "gasp" I know, crazy sounding right?

Think about it like this, this is a game in development, so every patch is like a new game you've bought. If you bought the game at this stage you wouldn't be like ooooh these land dinos are super over powered, bring the flyers up to be able to carry as much as them. You know what'd be good? If the flyer could outrun bullets and carry more than a 100 tonne quadraped. If my bird with wings made of see through skin could soak bullets like an armoured turtle. No. It seems rubbish because we had that before, but in terms of immersion, and in terms of gameplay it makes sense. It makes flying more realistic, and makes the dino's that exist more useful. Surely Wilcardcard didn't make all these dinos, then think to themselves "You know what this needs? The ability to ignore all this and just use two or so dinos for every job in the game, and make them so efficient at doing everything that a player choosing to do something another way is essentially punished for not sticking to the two or so dino's that do everything really well" No, that's daft, and having flyer that can do every job in the game and are tameable at level 35/105 is silly.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, thedogowl said:

Think about it like this, this is a game in development, so every patch is like a new game you've bought. If you bought the game at this stage you wouldn't be like ooooh these land dinos are super over powered, bring the flyers up to be able to carry as much as them. You know what'd be good? If the flyer could outrun bullets and carry more than a 100 tonne quadraped. If my bird with wings made of see through skin could soak bullets like an armoured turtle. No. It seems rubbish because we had that before, but in terms of immersion, and in terms of gameplay it makes sense. It makes flying more realistic, and makes the dino's that exist more useful. Surely Wilcardcard didn't make all these dinos, then think to themselves "You know what this needs? The ability to ignore all this and just use two or so dinos for every job in the game, and make them so efficient at doing everything that a player choosing to do something another way is essentially punished for not sticking to the two or so dino's that do everything really well" No, that's daft, and having flyer that can do every job in the game and are tameable at level 35/105 is silly.

There will ALWAYS be the best option for a given role. Giga is best for getting meat for instance. So your entire argument is just silly. You are basically saying there should be no top tier, there should be nothing to work towards because everything is even. Where the hell is the fun in that? If i spend hours taming a quetz, or weeks breeding pteras your are god damn right i expect to have something great and useful for a lot of things.

2 minutes ago, EridianX said:

We are talking about resource gathering, so yeah, building is the topic of that. And good for you, you don't use a quetz, other people do and they enjoy it. There is a lot to the game aside from what is on the land btw, lots to do in the air and in the water. So before you try and push your narrative of what is and is not fun why don't you actually think about what you are saying first please.

Push my narrative...you mean like telling you to enjoy pve for what it is and not try to turn it into building simulator 101? No sorry i wont stop because ur trying to make that game something its not and the rest of us would rather enjoy it for what it is...its not building simulator 101 and its not creative mode

Yeah the ptera isn't as good as say a carno or another mid tier dino for grabbing meat, but combined with it's speed, stam, damage and ease of taming (on top of it's ability to ignore terrain), it over-rode a lot of the mid and even high tier tames when as a dino with it's saddle unlocked at level 35/105 should be explicitly a low tier dino.

19 minutes ago, EridianX said:

That's not what it is and you know it you disingenuous ass. People used flyers because they liked to fly and it was faster, not that they were scared of the dinos and didn't want to deal with them. Nor do people leave pvp for the reason you stated. Most just don't like worrying about having to join a mega tribe just to avoid having their fun ruined or work destroyed.

You're lying, to yourself or to us. Lazy people prefer flyers so they can avoid content, that simple. They lack attention span and patience to play the game as it was meant.  And griefers prefer they so they can pick-drop newbs and others without being engaged. 

But you're right that no one is leaving over it. Lots of crying players, all still logging in. :)

Just now, Moodster1986 said:

Push my narrative...you mean like telling you to enjoy pve for what it is and not try to turn it into building simulator 101? No sorry i wont stop because ur trying to make that game something its not and the rest of us would rather enjoy it for what it is...its not building simulator 101 and its not creative mode

What are you even talking about? Again, it's pretty hard to tame a quetz without already having one, they are one of the more difficult things to tame. And even then, we can still run a dino train and get material anyways so your specific gripe is meaningless. Another thing, this hurts my and many other enjoyment in the game. How did us being able to enjoy the game take away from yours in any way? Tell me, how did people having the option to mine with a quetz hurt you? Regardless of all that, building is a HUGE part of this game you idiot.

Just now, fruitofvictory said:

You're lying, to yourself or to us. Lazy people prefer flyers so they can avoid content, that simple. They lack attention span and patience to play the game as it was meant.  And griefers prefer they so they can pick-drop newbs and others without being engaged. 

But you're right that no one is leaving over it. Lots of crying players, all still logging in. :)

So it's lazy to fly a jet across the ocean instead of taking a ship? Or to ride a car instead of a bike to work? People use flyers because it's fun and faster for getting poop they have already done a million times done. At a certain point running into the woods with a raptor to kill poop for food gets really boring. Having the option to go on a bird and get some meat is fun. All you are arguing for is taking away peoples options, nothing more. And who the hell are you to dictate how a game should be played and enjoyed?

On 3/31/2017 at 9:07 PM, XtulkusX said:

They needed to not be tameable and used as a Base Threat and a rare resource to hunt.

I agree dragons should not be allowed on island but this nerf just made an even bigger gab between alpha tribes and newb tribes. I am with a tribe that would be extreemly hard if not impossible to raid. It has got to the point that ground dinos don't get tamed because of tame cap. It ruins the game and needs to be fixed, but this nerf does not fix it. 

Just now, EridianX said:

So it's lazy to fly a jet across the ocean instead of taking a ship? Or to ride a car instead of a bike to work? People use flyers because it's fun and faster for getting poop they have already done a million times done. At a certain point running into the woods with a raptor to kill poop for food gets really boring. Having the option to go on a bird and get some meat is fun. All you are arguing for is taking away peoples options, nothing more.

Its not an "option" if its what everyone chooses, every time. And they do, because it's easier. And don't try to tell me the whole "done it a million times" line. I guarantee you, GUARANTEE, that most people have hardly seen a quarter of the map, because the first thing someone does is get a flyer if they can. 

The nerf was too heavyhanded, yes, but they've already said they will be increasing the values and tweaking the concept. But some people are sooooo freaked out over even having to wait that they are throwing massive babyfits. Thats laziness and low attention span and patience talking, and thats plain as the nose on my face. 

Just now, fruitofvictory said:

Its not an "option" if its what everyone chooses, every time. And they do, because it's easier. And don't try to tell me the whole "done it a million times" line. I guarantee you, GUARANTEE, that most people have hardly seen a quarter of the map, because the first thing someone does is get a flyer if they can. 

The nerf was too heavyhanded, yes, but they've already said they will be increasing the values and tweaking the concept. But some people are sooooo freaked out over even having to wait that they are throwing massive babyfits. Thats laziness and low attention span and patience talking, and thats plain as the nose on my face. 

Wanna know why most people have not seen the whole map? Alpha tribes in pvp stopping them and lag stopping on pve. Do you know how many times my friends over on console crash just trying to get across the map? Almost once or twice every trip.And yes, even if everyone always chooses to do it, there is still the option not to. Still an option regardless. Also how does having a flyer stop you from seeing more? If anything you see more than you would otherwise because you can explore faster.

4 minutes ago, fruitofvictory said:

I see bits of The Center that I feel sad about not getting a chance to see before I was airborne because I rushed to being airborne and it would have been exciting and cool to navigate on the ground, but i ruined that experience because the sensible, efficient thing to do was get airborne and gloss over that kind of thing. That's sad when you put it like that, :( someone's work has gone to waste because the game design meant that to be competitive meant to ignore a lot of the stuff the developers put their effort into...

4 minutes ago, fruitofvictory said:

So, someone not being able to travel as quickly and efficiently means they will get to see more of the map?

6 minutes ago, EridianX said:

What are you even talking about? Again, it's pretty hard to tame a quetz without already having one, they are one of the more difficult things to tame. And even then, we can still run a dino train and get material anyways so your specific gripe is meaningless. Another thing, this hurts my and many other enjoyment in the game. How did us being able to enjoy the game take away from yours in any way? Tell me, how did people having the option to mine with a quetz hurt you? Regardless of all that, building is a HUGE part of this game you idiot.

Ur playing pve but want to avoid the envirment wich is the only somewhat challenging part of pve...how is making it so you cant fly across the map in 2 minutes and actually have to spend time in the games envirment taking away from ur enjoyment? Go ahead expain 

1 minute ago, TheLastNerb said:

So, someone not being able to travel as quickly and efficiently means they will get to see more of the map?

Someone not travelling exclusively in the hollow featureless sky box of the ARK sky would indeed lead to them seeing more of the ground below them that has design features and artistic effort spent on it.

Just now, Moodster1986 said:

Ur playing pve but want to avoid the envirment wich is the only somewhat challenging part of pve...how is making it so you cant fly across the map in 2 minutes and actually have to spend time in the games envirment taking away from ur enjoyment? Go ahead expain 

I think you are honestly high on crack. We are talking about, in this specific instance, the quetz and it's ability to haul material for crafting or building. As I have said, you have to tame that quetz and to do that you need rex kibble to not take all day, you need to knock it out somehow, which it runs when you try, and then falls somewhere when you do, meaning you have to land and protect it. Then, even with kibble, a decent level takes HOURS to tame. As I said, to get to that point you had to of already went through the game a lot and already seen and played a lot of the game has to offer. You earn your ability to haul poop on a quetz.

You can't avoid the environment and tame dinos in PvE; you can't just pick stuff up and drop it in taming pens to shoot from safety. You absolutely still have to go out and spend time on the ground if you want to do almost anything in PvE. It's just that before, I could fly to the sabers with my bolas and tranq darts, then carry them back. Now, I don't even wanna try going that distance, let alone trying to bring stuff back to base. 

You all wanna know something amazing? I actaully like to run around with my spino instead of flying. I spend hours running around the map on it and exploring. And then, when i get bored of that, i have the option to then fly around and explore as well, or haul some stuff from base to base. I had the OPTION to do that. Now, with this new update, that option is much less viable. People in pve being able to do these things took NOTHING from any one of you. But you guys bitching and getting this update put in DID effect us negatively. You lost no fun with how things were in pve, but with this the other people did.

1 minute ago, EridianX said:

Fly low, simple fix.

But seriously, fly low so you can see the ground map? just make being on the ground worthwhile!? This patch achieves that, I honestly don't know what could have been done to land animals to make them as good as the flyer alternative!? Make them carry more than a weight quetz, so like three mountains worth of stuff!? Make them faster than a speed ptera, so faster than bullets!? Make them more tanky than a health quetz, so make them able to take the damage of a rex, but with the benefit of huge plate of armour covering most of it? Make them able to ignore terrain like all flyers can do, so jump over mountains? Like seriously, what would bring a land animal up to the level of pre nerf ptera/quetz!? Nothing realistic, which is why the ptera/quetz had to be nerfed.

3 minutes ago, thedogowl said:

Don't use a ptera/quetz for everything, simple fix...

You act like that's going to change. The first time they gutted the meta, they basically deleted Spinos and Argents from the game. Now it's Flyers. Next, it will probably be whatever everyone uses next. Your inability to comprehend what a meta is, or why they form, doesn't change that fact, nor does it excuse the developers incompetence. 

Just now, iAmE said:

You act like that's going to change. The first time they gutted the meta, they basically deleted Spinos and Argents from the game. Now it's Flyers. Next, it will probably be whatever everyone uses next. Your inability to comprehend what a meta is, or why they form, doesn't change that fact, nor does it excuse the developers incompetence. 

I understand completely that a meta literally means the agreed/most effective way of doing something; you misunderstand my point. My point is that the meta for far too many tasks was use a ptera or a quetz, thereby negating most of the dino's in the game. I'm not saying there shouldn't be some sort of agreed meta, that will fall into place naturally no matter what happens, I'm saying it's boring to have the meta be the same for every job that needs doing in the game, aside from meat and hide gathering basically everything involves a ptera or a quetz, that's very unvaried! 

Archived