Patch 256: Equus, Leedsichthys, Ichthyornis, Iguanodon, Underwater Bases, & More!

Jen

2 hours ago, Milsurp said:

Have you talked to each and every one of them to confirm "they're not upset"? Because they could just be so POd they are not bothering to post, they're just not playing. You can't claim you know their minds any more than I can. 

I'm going off of the forum posts for my response to that other conversation, which you were not a part of. Most of the posters are upset. A small minority are defending the patch, and of that many are trollers and non-constructive insulters, like you. 

Have YOU talked to them to confirm they are? 

I'm going off of forums posts for my response to that other conversation, which you were not a part of. Most of the posters are happy. A small minority are whining, and all of them call anyone who doesn't agree with them trolls. :)

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Milsurp said:

You know that polling uses a fraction of a population and assumes the results are directly proportional to the entire populace, right? Exactly what you're claiming isn't valid.

That's exactly my point, it's an assumption. A guess at best that is about as accurate as Wildcard's ETAs. Simply put, saying "the silent majority don't mind" or "the silent majority are upset too!" or "the silent majority wanted this!" is a poor argument for a cause because they cannot be quantified due to not making their thoughts known.

6 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

That's exactly my point, it's an assumption. A guess at best that is about as accurate as Wildcard's ETAs. Simply put, saying "the silent majority don't mind" or "the silent majority are upset too!" or "the silent majority wanted this!" is a poor argument for a cause because they cannot be quantified due to not making their thoughts known.

I'm...not going to argue with you about whether the statistical analysis used in polling and marketing is valid science. You'll need to take that up with those entire industries please.

• Volunteer Moderator
28 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

I'm...not going to argue with you about whether the statistical analysis used in polling and marketing is valid science. You'll need to take that up with those entire industries please.

There's already precedent that this is a flawed system though. I mean, as much as I hate bringing politics into this, placing faith in polls is what gave us Truman as president despite "conventional wisdom and polls" pointed to an "inevitable" Dewey presidency. It wasn't even the same thing as what we have now where Trump won the electoral but lost the popular, Truman won both ends in spite of these assumed representations of the entire population saying otherwise.

4 hours ago, Wolfi said:

I just have a quick technical question...with the vault nerf will that affect items already in the vaults if they are at capacity? Will we need to move items out to ensure they dont get deleted?

Based on other comments I've seen the dimensions of the vault are being reduced, not the capacity. Will probably affect people who have made walls out of the vaults, but nothing should be lost.

Edited by Vireon
Better grammar, less ambiguity.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, Wolfi said:

I just have a quick technical question...with the vault nerf will that affect items already in the vaults if they are at capacity? Will we need to move items out to ensure they dont get deleted?

No. Item capacity of the vault has not been affected, merely the production cost and the size.

I like the new interface and dinos, the equus is absolutely amazing. The new bird that pulls coels out of the water looks really cool. None of the 10 people in my tribe will be able to tame any of these new dinos of course because of the 50 dino per person limit in our tribe. However the flyer nerf has ruined the game. Nobody likes this nerf. I would love to hear one good reason this nerf is a good thing for PVE. People seem to be missing the point of games like this, the point of playing a video game is that everything is OP, otherwise where's the fun. This isn't a simulator and so doesn't need to be realistic. Having OP stuff is what makes games fun. Most of the fun has been removed from this game.

At the moment the game couldn't be any more unbalanced, a new single player can have 500 dinos but a tribe with 20 members has the same dino limit. The dno limit has made a difference in tamed dinos on most servers due to people stopping playing the game but has made 0 difference to server lag.

From a business point of view I would expect wildcard to make this game appeal to the majority of people so that more people want to buy it. At the moment it doesn't appeal to the majority, in fact it seems the majority of people would now rather play something else. Very bizarre business strategy. The people who are in support of this patch and nerf make up less than 15% of the footprint of players according to the various polls.

• Volunteer Moderator
38 minutes ago, _The_Jackal_ said:

People seem to be missing the point of games like this, the point of playing a video game is that everything is OP, otherwise where's the fun.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. It's my belief that the point of playing a video game is to have fun, and that fun is a very subjective term so what may be fun for one person may not be to another. I mean, if we're to take your philosophy then you're saying that Fromsoftware's Souls series aren't video games, as those almost constantly hammer how underpowered you are compared to the horrors you face.

As for the dino limitations, that is something I agree with. The concept is good in that it aims to prevent lag by curtailing how many dinos a tribe has. However, it is quite easily sidestepped due to the fact that there are no limitations on how many tribes can be on a server at a given time. I've already seen bigger "zoo" tribes make use of this flaw by having a member splinter off to make an ally tribe and the original tribe they came from would unclaim dinos for him/her to grab in order to relieve the cap their tribe has.

Not sure what this feed looks like but if you've seen the steam forum... Whoo that's bad lol.... Anyway here is my post.

Well... I've replied to a few people but after playing with the new nerf for a while here is my opinion. I'll start with the Quetz. Its big feature was almost unlimited stamina and carry weight. I see so issue with having hella stam and hella weight, as it was meant to be a utility bird. Make the platform saddle require seats to transport more than one person, and make that seat disable weapons. Also make it so the bird cant have any C4 attached, lower HP. It was meant to be a long flying high weight utility bird. That solves the problem. Yeah sure you "could" still pick people... If you could catch them. Argie, more stam slightly faster movement speed and high melee points. It should be a meat getter for your tames (I'd rather use a therizino) in my opinion but also able to defend a base if need be. Ptero, I say 150 movement speed and I'd say... 1500 stam. lower melee a bit but no lower than 150% to start. lower weight to only being able to carry rider and meat for it to eat. No more OP Ptero picking. these changes would have sufficed in game. I think this would have made MOST people happy. Of course people will complain.  people forget about the Dimorphodon, and Microraptor that either dissmount and or kill the rider. That solves your bad aim with a rifle. I do feel that no one will agree with this. I get that, but I think this would have been a fair starting point. This is just my opinion. If you have any cinstructive criticism lets here it. We can discuss. Trolls get no responce. 

1 hour ago, thebeardguy said:

the flyer nerf was just rediculous how can you give us flyers with the travel speed for this long period of time and then just take it away?

Learn to adapt. Just because you have had some broken mechanic for ages doesn't make it right.

Now people will actually need to be creative and use some actual skill to fight, rather than ptera bomb all day long or cover the map in 1 minute.

Flame suit on.

Just gonna leave this response from our beloved Ark team here, in case some pople have not seen it yet ^w^
Btw, do not lose faith in Ark, do not start hating it, they are doing everything they can to make our game great - its just still in development:

"Without taking forever to deep-dive into this stuff, the one thing that I think everyone can agree with, or that most people seem to agree with, is that "it had to happen", and "you guys should have just done it less".

Both of these statements are true, but in the long run, the way we choose to make these changes are with broad strokes, followed by incremental buffs. That's how we work. [....] Either you guys get furious at us over several weeks as we nerf your fliers again and again, making them weaker and weaker, and you hate us for that, or we do it all at once and buff them, and you hate us all at once and then things get better.

Our overall goal with this re-balance is to define roles specific to each of the fliers. The roles look something like this:

• Ptero - Fast, sprinting scout, with low hp/stamina, but quicker stamina recovery. Fastest flier in the game (except for wild wyverns).
  • Argent - Tanky fighter, can scrap well and take some hits, high stamina/carry weight compared to all other fliers (except Quetz), while still maintaining some agility.
  • Moth - "beginner" mount, lowest stats across the board for explicit travel or fighting, but a powerful special attack for specialized use.
  • Pelagornis - Versatility flier with generally low stats, but unique functionality, and other special abilities to offset its lack of direct stat power.
  • Quetz - Sky Bronto. Slow, extreme stamina, extreme weight capacity, good for prolonged sieges or for moving massive quantities of things to and fro. High health pool, but extremely poor maneuverability and very vulnerable.
  • Tapejara - Tactical flier. Between the Argent and Ptero for overall stats, but with multi-mount support and latching abilities, it can carry well armed players in and out of the battlefield or to remote locations.
  • Wyvern - Lord of the skies. Low stamina, moderate move speed, poor agility, but extreme power and versatility. 

This is how we see them conceptually, and the overall "feel" we want to aim for when we finally say "yeah, these are in a good spot".

@Jat @TheRightHand Aside from the flyer nerf, I wanted to congratulate you on 256.3. Fixed a lot of things that needed cleaning up -nice! 

Re the flyer nerf, I still think you should do something *interesting* with flyers instead of grinding spreadsheets though. Your model for pteras is broken - you can't have a "fast, sprinting scout" with low stamina. Since scouts by definition don't know where their objective is, they need stamina to search for it. And their main role is 1-person light transport in non-PvP, so again stamina is important. Either way, it doesn't work unless you make it mediocre at everything and good at nothing, and that carries over to the other birds' "roles" as well. (Hate roles, that model is a trap with no future.)

In addition to the other flyer suggestions I've made (lower pickup size, scale damage up/down by size differential, exchange hover for slow fall or make hover drain the most stamina), you could try lowering birds' stamina a lot, but only using it in sprint mode and combat and changing non-sprint (walk) mode to glide mode for long-distance travel. That gives them pluses and minuses for every situation - they have short-distance escape speed, short-term combat ability and long-distance travel endurance, but they can only use one at a time. And you can adjust the stamina drain for any of the three, giving you fine-grained balance tuning. 

2 hours ago, Yourtoy said:

So in light of the "Flyer Nerf" how are PC players getting Wyvern Milk? If there is no longer any bird that can out fly a wild Wyvern, what tactics are people using now?

Asking really nicely, dinner and a movie, bringing them baked goods, etc. None of it seems to be working too well, yet, but I think they'll come around.

In connection with new update, I'm discovering very amazing new potential in the game! I would like to share with you very interesting adventure what happened to me today. I was on the travel to the vulcano on my quetzal. I just wanted to take some metal and some other things to our base... So. I started to fly. And I pushed the button for fly. 10 minutes. Well... it's all what I wanted to say...

I really love this game. What else would you do? Live your life? Don't be silly! ;)

I play SP on PC and overall I like this update and the new balance. Means new thinking needed.And will be using my Mammoths for the first time in ages, and that is good!

Just 3 observations:

--to me the pop-up windows that appears on everything are way too blue and bright and distracting to me.

-- option to remove the (blue) windows explaining what stone is used for when you hoover over the inventory?

--I do not want to nerf the swimmers, but when my sarco/beaver  (for example, all aquatics are zappy) hits the water, one touch on "W" send the guy forward like a torpedo. I love that in the open water and in fighting, but when I try to park these guys in a neat but small harbor, that beautiful speed makes parking a nightmare. Would it be possible to have a slow/cruising/harbor speed set or something? 

Love all the things that have been added. I still think all creatures should be tamable...sad face.....I think that when you Alliance there should be some commands added like if they attack all dinosaur, guns turn on Alliance, or even commands given to guns and animals specific if attacked all attack. I had an alliance come down on us while most of our tribe was off line and they wiped us before we new what hit us, the plants would not shoot them and animals would not attack, these command could really help this.