Patch 256: Equus, Leedsichthys, Ichthyornis, Iguanodon, Underwater Bases, & More!

Jen

This Patch... I've played this game since release and with this nerf on flyers.. im uninstalling ark just like the rest of my friends.. this patch was utterly poop! loads of dinos dead already and im going to leave the rest to die aswell, all the hours and devotion into this game and you give us this? a year filled with generations of pteras.. all raptoring for nothing.. GG Wildcard GG

I also want to ask the devs if they are planning to add spaceships and chewbakkas aswell next patch? A bunch of wookies would be cool! -.-'

Love the new patch, my entire tribe does. Wanted to get out that there are a lot of people that love the patch, since only the whiners are the only ones who generally seek to give voice. It gives balance to a formerly one sided pvp battle. Now people are actually using ground dinos and fliers vs all pick battles in pvp! It's awesome to see people using dinos in new unique ways! 

2 hours ago, clumsynynja said:

The game's far from screwed because  a handful of whiny divas are throwing tantrums. All your arguments end up sounding like Veruca Salt. 

... hardly a "handful" of people throwing a tantrum over this.  Looks like a large portion of the population.  

Not to mention all my friends who are also quitting and aren't posting.

No, not a "handful" at all.  More like bucketloads. :P

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, TheArkTribune said:

Well looks like Conan Exiles will be getting a big boost in sales cuz of the flyer nerf lol especially with their up coming mounts update... 

Conan has no flyers. Anyone that is claiming to be jumping ship from ARK and moving to Conan because of the flyer nerf is lieing to themselves. They were clearly just looking for an excuse to quit playing.

So what if they move to Conan, it's not gonna get them better flyers. And Conan reviews have started off in a much worse state than ARK ever did at release.

Edited by GamerPerfection

4 hours ago, Pach said:

... hardly a "handful" of people throwing a tantrum over this.  Looks like a large portion of the population.  

Not to mention all my friends who are also quitting and aren't posting.

No, not a "handful" at all.  More like bucketloads. :P

LOL oh, you poor silly baby. 

Your five friends and the few on this forum are a tiny, tiny portion of the player base. 

40 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

LOL oh, you poor silly baby. 

Your five friends and the few on this forum are a tiny, tiny portion of the player base. 

Why are you so sour ?, people are giving their opinion on here and you trying to belittle them with 'you poor silly baby' and 'chicken little' just makes you sound like an ass, can I have a genuine conversation with you about the nerf, how do you think the entire pve population feel about this pvp themed nerf? Real question, not trying to challenge you.

Im thinking on how i will go on playing?

So here are a few things i will do due to the nerf!

Here is one for the "newbees like the patch":

I will breed wyverns. Should be easy i have a few wyverns allready.

I will sell them to the new Players for good stuff where they have to work there ass off.

I hated this nerf, but now New Players cant make concurrenz anymore. Thats perfect for me and the other ppl. owning wyverns.?

I wanted to get them without the need of them. But hey, Wildcard just wants it this way?.

And be sure i will only take deliveries directly to my house door.

(For the small mindet of you, this post is ironic written but the truth what i will do)

On April 1, 2017 at 7:58 AM, J said:

Maybe they changed it for the leeds so they don't despawn? To allow for the meat harvesting 

I can hope so, but because of how the game usually renders in my experience creatures load in before the structures so if a wild creature in an cage is running against the wall and I leave the render distance for the structure then it gets set free. This may be just a Single player thing to save on memory and I get that but it makes getting snake eggs or now using the Leed kinda impossible almost. Im not complaining like its the end of the world, just want a solution to a trivial problem lol :P

2 hours ago, Alkatraz121 said:

Why are you so sour ?, people are giving their opinion on here and you trying to belittle them with 'you poor silly baby' and 'chicken little' just makes you sound like an ass, can I have a genuine conversation with you about the nerf, how do you think the entire pve population feel about this pvp themed nerf? Real question, not trying to challenge you.

Well the devs made an official statement about it and the Nerf is here to stay so get used to it, it may get changed but its staying

8 hours ago, MarQs said:

This Patch... I've played this game since release and with this nerf on flyers.. im uninstalling ark just like the rest of my friends.. this patch was utterly poop! loads of dinos dead already and im going to leave the rest to die aswell, all the hours and devotion into this game and you give us this? a year filled with generations of pteras.. all raptoring for nothing.. GG Wildcard GG

I also want to ask the devs if they are planning to add spaceships and chewbakkas aswell next patch? A bunch of wookies would be cool! -.-'

Are you really crying and quitting a game because of a nerf that isn't even set in stone? X D that is what is ridiculous to me is people like you 

Lacking guidance on whether we need to build a shell and then put in the water compartments, as there is where I want to permanently move; and the horrific and unfair arbitrary crippling of flying game play; oI removed the game. Our group was already losing interest based upon other changes, they are likely shutting down the servers we rent within a day or two.

I should also add while we are predominantly PvE, we have PvP on and damage each other in our main tribe, sometimes playing around with new features and other times dueling etc. Not anymore..

Edited by Anakr0n

3 minutes ago, Alkatraz121 said:

Yeah I know, the 'numbers' will change, but what do you feel they should do ? Or are you happy with it ?

I am not inherently happy about it, but I do know that it is 100% necessary for flyers to be nerfed. They are already talking about changing the base speeds possibly and the stamina regeneration possibly 

17 minutes ago, UDGxKnight said:

I am not inherently happy about it, but I do know that it is 100% necessary for flyers to be nerfed. They are already talking about changing the base speeds possibly and the stamina regeneration possibly 

I agree some sorta nerf was needed but imo they should have thought some things through like wyvern eggs and metal farming 

I'm mostly looking forward to the flyer change. Sure its going to make some things more difficult, but overall I think its going to improve the fun to be had. Can't wait see people using frogs and other fun land dino's to travel across the map rather than everyong just jumping on a ptera for 10 seconds.

Where I think an issue is going to come up is wyverns. They are already so naturally fast that they will become the be all, end all method of transportation. Its going to go from people everywhere zipping around on a bunch of different fliers to people only zipping around on wyverns. Hate to say it, but maybe nerfing wyvern's speed on non scortched earth servers may be a good idea.

Hello Ark'ers!, I bought ark just a short while ago to join a private server with a clan of Star Citizen players to waste some time on while we wait for that game to finish. I have really fallen in love with ARK; now, I have played MMO's for 28 years (MO at first) including EQ, WOW, EQII, to name a couple. This is my first sand box, none pvp, none main stream MMORPG.

My thoughts on ARK in general:

As my first sand box game, I really like the game play and concept. leveling, gathering, building, fighting dino's and then taming dino's has been a massive joy. Losing all the great gear I just finally built to lag issues sucks, but that's playing an on line game. The server I play on is private and mostly PVE. We are only about 5 main players with 5 to 10 others that visit. Tek probably won't happen and I dont' think we Mod anything. We have increased taming and breeding I believe so we can still do that in a normal time frame.

Asking a player to be logged into a game for over 20 hours to breed and grow a Dino is insane and I don't understand how anyone can be asked to play for 24 hours straight. I know on line gaming can consume a whole weekend, I have done this, however 24 hours straight every 20 minutes you have to interact is pushing the safety of humans IMO.

This patch that just came out is amazing, but I wanted to add my 2 cents to this forum as an experienced player of MMORPG games. I've seen a lot of complaints over the flyer nerf and I feel their pain being I only use my Quetzal to travel safely.

PRO's

* LOVE the interface and how you included more information on the screen at a time

* ability to mouse click less and shortcut key more is great (remote feeding by holding the E key instead of lift clicking)

* upgraded sounds (something different to hear, some good some ...eh!)

* Dino attacking rafts in open water (Scary but cool idea). Hate to see my little raft with everything I have go down to a creature I cannot fight however.
          Improvement: Dino's randomly attacking bases while players are only line only would also be cool, defenses on PVE would still be important. Rebuilding because of NPC Dino attacks, cool idea!

CON's

* flyer nerf, while I understand making changes to a creature or how different parts of the game interact and affect the game play; I would suggest if you are going to make such a massive Nerf to a Dino, perhaps you could have refunded 100% of the points on that Dino to allow players to set the stats in a way that can still make the Dino usable.
           * Statistics of games using Big Data should be how these decisions are being made, not just a guess and "we'll adjust depending how players complain".  Raiding in MMORPG they would adjust a player class, weapon, or item based on stats from the 1000's of players completing millions of interactions. WOW raiding player balances comes to mind.

* Quetzal slower but a little safer over swamps because you didnt' have to land

* Ptradon fast transport for us Non-Tek players, also helped in survival while gathering important mat's from dangerous places

* players that have invested a massive amount of time (only 300 hours for myself last 2 months) building bases and taming Dino's;
                  *Vault storage now looks like crap and is a big waste of space in that area now
                  * Birds that are statistically useless, my Quetzal cannot fly more than 500 meters (in 5 minutes) with out having to land..
* Group follow screwing with all the Dino's in our base should be easier fixed. Group follows by only the person that taimed, or Group commands that are unique to the player instead of just 0-9 number? Something.

The Quetzal gathering trick made higher level farming of material less boring and allowed us to learn new things like caves, boss fights, taming and breeding Dino's... When you are high enough level to own a Quetzal it should be safer for you to roam the island looking for "new troubles" to get into.

now I spent my last 2 nights just trying to keep my Flyers alive while I tried to get over to farm a few basic materials. ..I'm not sure but I feel my gathering of material has taken about a 300% reduction / hour played IMO. I personally loved the reduction of Dino's riding on Quetzal, it added a skill not to lose the animal off the back and caring for multiple creatures at one time left it risky. I have lost a few Dino's to a rex because I couldn't manage all of them while gathering.

I hope to continue to play this game, my hat's off to the designers for such a fun "sand box" for me to spend time visiting friends in!

/cheers
SlySkyGuy
Quetzal Captain
Flying is the only way to travel!!!

There are far more intelligent ways to deal with the PVP Flyer issue than making Flyers basically useless. 

I had hoped that the Devs would realize they made a mistake and roll back the Flyer nerfs.  

They have no way of knowing how many players disagree the Flyer changes.  I find it simply amazing, they have an entire community of players willing to provide input and help make the game better and yet no tool to capture and utilize the information.

However, there is a simple method you can use to let them know what you think.

If you want the Flyer nerfs rolled back, do not play the game on Wednesday, April 5th.

I will post this on the various sites/forums, feel free to spread the word if you are so inclined.

Developer quote:

da386067186dbc9cd34e5a82de838252.png.f6c58fbfa779af6f1a451064dd33cf65.png

Will wonders never cease, it appears someone is doing what the Devs should have been doing all along:

You can vote on the Flyer nerfs.

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://www.strawpoll.me/12652691/r

and 

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://www.strawpoll.me/12654429/r

Not sure they will listen, but I voted.