Patch 256: Equus, Leedsichthys, Ichthyornis, Iguanodon, Underwater Bases, & More!

Jen

I really think instead of trying to improve ARK with this flyer update you guys should just take the L and go back to how it was before. There has been thousands of people against it and as you can see the cons easily outweigh the benefits. It will take you days to explore the map, harvesting isn't the same, PVP isn't the same, just simply getting around is taken away. I know you plan to buff it and make it better but come on there was no harm with how it was before and its a lot better and easier to make it how it was before and pleasing the community instead of this. And if for some reason you are so focused on not leaving it how it was loved before (maybe for PVP), then at least make a cap for movement speed so you can put points in it but maybe not a ridiculous amount and that they can still be faster and like they should be but not all out crazy! @Jat

Edited by Fish

I feel like if you left this patch with everything it has and set the flying back to what it was before you would see this community have nothing but love for it and ARK itself, not only because its what they want but because you guys would of listened to the majority for the greater good @Jat Love the rest of the patch though!

In my opinion the nerf is to hard, all air mounts are useless at the moment. I understand why you have to nerf them. Noone takes a landbased pet anymore.

I got the idea that you let the player level every stat and just change the cap and the mulitplier. And even further to make breeding more usefull allow the player to get +15stats or so from breeding.

Another idea would be to use the upcoming weather effect to force the player to stay at the ground, like you guys allready did with the sandstorm in scorched earth.
An example take stormy weather, let lightnings aim for flying pets and hurt them little by little, so you force the player to use a groundbased pet.

Devs,

I hope by now you realize you really stepped in it with the flyer changes. In PVE, flyers are essential for moving supplies, scouting, etc.  With this patch you have rendered flyers basically useless. If what I'm reading is true, it appears you have decided that many of us are not playing the game "properly" by relying too much on flyers and/or that they negatively affect PVP play.  One of things that I found admirable about Ark was you built a game that could be played the way a person wanted to play. Ark is the first PC game I have bought in years.  It was the best game I have ever played and I have been playing computer games on various platforms since the 80s. I have read the comment that you will be tweaking the flyer changes to try and find the right balance. That will likely be a compromise that will likely leave neither group happy. Please, roll back the flyer changes or at least give players the option to opt out of them on their servers.

Sorry, but you really have ruined the game for me and a lot of other players in a single stroke. I believe you will correct this issue quickly.  If not, I will be forced to post negative reviews as several other posts have suggested and/or already done.

While I'm on my soapbox, I will mention a couple of things that have perplexed me from the start. 1. Why is there no central DB for reporting bugs? Last time I found one I had to search through threads until I found one that matched and then added my comments. It seems a horribly inefficient way to track bugs. 2. Why do you not have a method for players to provide input on proposed changes to the program?  I think you could avoid this kind of negative reaction by providing one and heeding the input.

Now, with that unpleasantness out  of the way ..

Overall, I like the new UI.  While the text is small, it is readable. I really disliked having to scroll through inventory; the new UI reduces the need for that. The HUD portion is perhaps a bit too in your face.

The descriptions of the new Dinos look good, particularly the Equus. Sadly, I use flyers to scout for them and I will not be able to do anything until the flyer issue is corrected. As to the new Tek, sadly I'm not quite there yet.

Usually I'm much more terse in my writing so thank you for your patience.

49 minutes ago, Moonrayn said:

In my opinion the nerf is to hard, all air mounts are useless at the moment. I understand why you have to nerf them. Noone takes a landbased pet anymore.

I got the idea that you let the player level every stat and just change the cap and the mulitplier. And even further to make breeding more usefull allow the player to get +15stats or so from breeding.

Another idea would be to use the upcoming weather effect to force the player to stay at the ground, like you guys allready did with the sandstorm in scorched earth.
An example take stormy weather, let lightnings aim for flying pets and hurt them little by little, so you force the player to use a groundbased pet.

This nerf doesn't make me want to use land dinos more, plus there are things land dinos just can't do that fliers are essential for. I still used land dinos plenty more than fliers before the nerf. Fliers are essential in PVE for haul goods long distances in a reasonable amount of time and with how badly they've been nerfed, things are just going to become harder and more tedious for players to do, not harder in a fun way where it's a challenge you work hard at preparing for and use all the stuff you've learned to overcome it, but harder in the sense it's just a boring chore to get anything thing done. It probably won't be as bad on modded and non modded player dedicated servers, cause you can do things to adjust for this, but on official servers this is going to be a game killer with already how long it is to do stuff with official stats and not everyone has the free time to put that much time into the game.

I have some feedback twards the new flyer nerf. I understand the birds are getting insanely fast and what not. But without the ability to pump speed to get around then bases will get raided accross the map and it would take years to get back to your wiped base. Not only that now there will be pteras with 500-900 damage due to not haveing the speed. No more outrunning wyverns to obtain eggs or people on wyverns. Farming qith quetzals are going to be soooo sloooow. But i appreciate the devs opening there ears and listening. Here is my ideas, lower the speed boost per point. The bird will just get more attention due to so much damage now. Alphas will never be taken down because of there wyverns. So please give this an open ear.

you i don't care about the lfyer nerf really what i really care about is the dam constant crashes from this freaking new ui trying to start building the new underwater base and i can't even get started because of the mousing over or even sometime opening your inventory crashes your dam game fixed the dam bugs first then worry about nerf later

so, it's Sunday now, this nonsense isn't getting reverted yet...

come on i need to farm stuff, where is my progression wildcard? is one of the many things that got me hooked to the game and play on officials, even after getting wiped by megatribes, my tribemates and i would just start over again working towards that great sense of progression this game offered. We worked hard, i know everyone did, to get good flying tames and make progress getting resources and then expanding,and then walked that extra mile breeding, coming to the rescue of other members and tribes in our flyers, it felt really special, even more in scorched earth where you start off so harshly and you cant even picture yourself getting wyverns for yourself. That feeling of progression and accomplishment is gone, killed for no good reason. I understand the complains of the people asking for this, and i wouldn't mind if it just affected combat but its affecting resource gathering as well. This isn't right, you can't just defecate over everyone's hard work like this, because that's what this game is mostly about, specially in official servers, hardwork with your tribe and the rest of the people in the server.

Fix whatever needs to be fixed but don't take away great stuff from your great game.

To do some much work to raise pteras and quetzals and then have some outside force just come along and arbitrally decide to negate everything you have done without any reason especially for pve players is insane!! it makes me not want to do one more thing in this game because all the time i put into something has an inherent risk of being deleted at the whim of a wildcard employee. 

7 hours ago, clumsynynja said:

No, it does not. 

I have a fiancee, two dogs, six cats, friends, and a job an hour away to and from that both the fiancee and I work, eight hours a day 5 1/2 days a week. 

Bullpoop, friend. 

:)

Next excuse, try harder. 

congrats ark is probably ALL you do- congrats on no social life- no chores getting done- kids not getting helped with homework- working 12+ hour shifts and then having no days off weeks in a row. Not everyone is you and many people are in MY boat as opposed to your "lax" style so forgive the rest of us for wanting to not have to "cat box" it to try and play a game that we invested THOUSANDS of hours of breeding and everything else only for it to be thrown to garbage.

This patch really feels like devs want to kill the official servers. Me and most of players spent hours taming or breeding good flyers and for what? For being destroyed with a patch, this is not nerfing... If u want to nerf anything, nerf the lag on servers, im sure that would be praised by all.

"oh but the new dinos and tek stuff are awesome!" I dont care for that if u just destroyed hours of my life in a patch! Of course new stuff is good! always is! Yeah my flyers are ruined but now i can throttle fabulously on my magical Unicorn... meh

And more tek stuff? Sure is amazing, but im still trying to tame/breed good rexes to try to have a change fighting an easy boss and for what? For a piece of element?! WOW i can build a wall or a pair of gloves... Not everyone have unlimeted amount of time to spend on the game. 

Overall really feels like u are trying to kill official servers, and pushing everyone to tek material, because really feels like having tek armour is the only way to fly properlly or going underwater, or even walking on land...

2 hours ago, Vermithrax said:

congrats ark is probably ALL you do- congrats on no social life- no chores getting done- kids not getting helped with homework- working 12+ hour shifts and then having no days off weeks in a row. Not everyone is you and many people are in MY boat as opposed to your "lax" style so forgive the rest of us for wanting to not have to "cat box" it to try and play a game that we invested THOUSANDS of hours of breeding and everything else only for it to be thrown to garbage.

Actually, I play Overwatch, Mass Effect, Ark, I'm working on the Witcher 3 (Still, HUGE game), and various others- not counting old favorites I replay. I have a novel published, another on the way,  I work, as I said, very long hours 5 1/2 days a week, and still play d&d with friends, go on outings with the fiancee, see movies, etc. 

Ark is far from my life; no kids, but I take care of 40 + horses worth more money then you will ever see in your life, plus my own two dogs and six cats. :) I get half of Sat off and all of Sunday, and that's if we're lucky. If we're not, we get ONE day a week off. 

And yet, yes, no, I plan on breeding for color mutations in this game, and I have sunk hours into it; building up, losing dinos, learning, practicing, and I plan on finding time to set aside for when I need to start hatching and raising babies; with my life and schedule, it'll be hard, but I know how to manage my time so I can do things like that. One f'ing flyer nerf does NOT THROW EVERYTHING INTO THE GARBAGE. Grow UP, ffs. Besides the fact that it has been STATED that the nerfs will be WORKED WITH until the devs find something that works well, it's just a gameplay change that any half intelligent person can adapt to. 

And I still say if you think this makes the game 'unplayable', then you need to evaluate. Seriously and strongly. 

Assuming makes  a what out of you, again?... :)

5 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

Actually, I play Overwatch, Mass Effect, Ark, I'm working on the Witcher 3 (Still, HUGE game), and various others- not counting old favorites I replay. I have a novel published, another on the way,  I work, as I said, very long hours 5 1/2 days a week, and still play d&d with friends, go on outings with the fiancee, see movies, etc. 

Ark is far from my life; no kids, but I take care of 40 + horses worth more money then you will ever see in your life, plus my own two dogs and six cats. :) I get half of Sat off and all of Sunday, and that's if we're lucky. If we're not, we get ONE day a week off. 

And yet, yes, no, I plan on breeding for color mutations in this game, and I have sunk hours into it; building up, losing dinos, learning, practicing, and I plan on finding time to set aside for when I need to start hatching and raising babies; with my life and schedule, it'll be hard, but I know how to manage my time so I can do things like that. One f'ing flyer nerf does NOT THROW EVERYTHING INTO THE GARBAGE. Grow UP, ffs. Besides the fact that it has been STATED that the nerfs will be WORKED WITH until the devs find something that works well, it's just a gameplay change that any half intelligent person can adapt to. 

And I still say if you think this makes the game 'unplayable', then you need to evaluate. Seriously and strongly. 

Assuming makes  a what out of you, again?... :)

You keep bragging and no one else is hopping on your train dude- the game is screwed and according to pretty much everyone that has invested as many hours as most of us have in breeding for stam and such it pretty much told us our time was worthless so all your arguments end up sounding like this:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-20-2016/JrEUZ9.gif

7 minutes ago, Vermithrax said:

You keep bragging and no one else is hopping on your train dude- the game is screwed and according to pretty much everyone that has invested as many hours as most of us have in breeding for stam and such it pretty much told us our time was worthless so all your arguments end up sounding like this:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-20-2016/JrEUZ9.gif

You  accused me of 'doing nothing but ark'. (And then proceeded to act like I was a casual player who didn't play Ark enough, so I don't think even you knew what the dilo you were trying to say.) I informed you why you were wrong. Also, there's an entire thread full of people who agree with me. 

The game's far from screwed because  a handful of whiny divas are throwing tantrums. All your arguments end up sounding like Veruca Salt. 

Edited by clumsynynja

1 minute ago, clumsynynja said:

He accused me of 'doing nothing but ark'. I informed him why he was wrong. 

The game's far from screwed because  a handful of whiny divas are throwing tantrums. All your arguments end up sounding like this: 

I accused you- there was no him involved. The game is going to lose players and IS currently screwed for new players who will be unable to catch up to people who are already tek'ed to the nines. Flyers gave a huge advantage and now that the advantage has been stripped and land has been taken you cannot get low tribes to progress they are effectively STUCK where they are. Alphas will stay that way and servers will wither and die. Trade networks are failing as flyers that were once prized trade routes are now worthless. Nothing on this earth will make me want to ride an iguanadon just because. I use land dinos and flying mounts equally but flyers have been at a disadvantage due to many things and now are useless. Get stuck in turrets? You are boned cause you are dead before you can escape, I am furious for new players so no its not divas throwing tantrums. New players will never get a foot hold in the game at this point as the only advantage they actually had was stripped. 

2 minutes ago, Vermithrax said:

I accused you- there was no him involved. The game is going to lose players and IS currently screwed for new players who will be unable to catch up to people who are already tek'ed to the nines. Flyers gave a huge advantage and now that the advantage has been stripped and land has been taken you cannot get low tribes to progress they are effectively STUCK where they are. Alphas will stay that way and servers will wither and die. Trade networks are failing as flyers that were once prized trade routes are now worthless. Nothing on this earth will make me want to ride an iguanadon just because. I use land dinos and flying mounts equally but flyers have been at a disadvantage due to many things and now are useless. Get stuck in turrets? You are boned cause you are dead before you can escape, I am furious for new players so no its not divas throwing tantrums. New players will never get a foot hold in the game at this point as the only advantage they actually had was stripped. 

I saw that and corrected.

ALSO lol omg okay, chicken little. Okay. /Pats your head.  

Edited by clumsynynja

• Volunteer Moderator
17 minutes ago, Vermithrax said:

I'd have to say it's more likely for new players to get ahead than veteran players, to an extent. New players never had the experience of flying pre-256, so any and all adaptations they do to things you say like bases of turrets, making trade routes, etc. are all a bonus to them simply because they aren't tethered by the notion of looking back at days gone by. Veteran players, particularly those stuck in their ways, can and do continuously lament the change and endlessly go on about things "back in my day" rather than looking at what's at hand and improvising to make the best of it.

Edited by ciabattaroll

except for the flying nerf

the only thing i see having issues with is the color choice for the UI  ... the blue is really hard to see the numbers and such maybe make the lettering black with the blue background ... would make it easier to see ( i have trouble seeing the numbers and such due to my eyes being color sensitive )

just my 2 cents worth

59 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

I'd have to say it's more likely for new players to get ahead than veteran players, to an extent. New players never had the experience of flying pre-256, so any and all adaptations they do to things you say like bases of turrets, making trade routes, etc. are all a bonus to them simply because they aren't tethered by the notion of looking back at days gone by. Veteran players, particularly those stuck in their ways, can and do continuously lament the change and endlessly go on about things "back in my day" rather than looking at what's at hand and improvising to make the best of it.

to an extent yes but now alpha tribes in an attempt to stay such will guard resources to the point small tribes cannot farm- this is already been seen happening and with their advantage of tek stuff they just port stuff across the map without need of flyers making those that need flyers ever nerfed as they are unable to farm.