Patch 256: Equus, Leedsichthys, Ichthyornis, Iguanodon, Underwater Bases, & More!

Jen

I was really looking forward to a lot of stuff in this patch, but the flyer nerf killed this game for me.  I've shut down my servers until the dev's undo it, or give me a way to choose to undo it on my server, as they have for previous dino nerfs.

My main ptera went from 2500 stam to... 500.  I can do what... one barrel roll?  And now there is a timer?  What's the point of fliers now?  They aren't even FAST anymore!  That was their main utility, and now it's gone?

While some of these changes have needed fixed for a LONG time (the whole "regen stamina on a Quetz by just getting out of the saddle" thing was ridiculous, I agree), most of this was completely unnecessary.

Worse, the main utility of a flier is to get from point A to point B quickly.  By removing the ability to configure speed, you just made them... vanilla.  All fliers.. are basically the same now.  I often had 2 pteras:  one for fighting, and one for moving somewhere fast.  What's the point now for 2?  Can't do either so why have any?

This wasn't a nerf.  You basically took fliers out of the game... without actually removing the dino.

How about the Devs stop listening to people who don't like how other people configure their dinos?  How about you remember there are PvE players, too, who this impacts?

When you do, I'll play again.  Until then, you just totally destroyed this game for me.  Thanks!  Good thing I bought another game to play this weekend... 'cause you just trashed my "I'm going to have a pleasant weekend of playing ARK", too.

EDIT:

A friend commented this might be an April Fool's joke.  If it is, it's not funny.  Not on a Saturday when a lot of people want to play, and it trashed the game.  On the other hand, I hope it IS a joke, because then it WILL get fixed.  This is ridiculous.

... now I'm off to play... something else...

32 minutes ago, chrissytheblesser said:

Fair enough lol

Besides i reckon the screenshot opportunities are more then enough inspiration to add one have it be male and the unicorn female an when you breed them your horses have slighter better buffs but of course just have it be rare or some minigame or ritual involved to be able to get the pegasus.

the devs don't listen to what the people want they take sides and pick and choose if u notice half the dinos on pve are meant for pvp. We get attacked and lose hundreds of hours of play to titans and when we finally figure how to stop them the devs ruin it again. They may find this funny but its not its ruining a game clearly people making the choices are ones who dont play. Ptredones are suppose to be fast very fast watch every dino movie we spend hours and hours trying to get the right breed and of course now the one thing that has attracted alot of people is gone. You dont fix the glicthes or problems you fix what not is broken customers voices are not heard its what you want people to hear. This is a incredible and in the nicest words you as usual raptored it all up again.....25 years gaming never thought i would live to see such a major screw up ruin a great game.

I guess what surprises me about the nerf to flyers is the explanation for it.  Honestly, if the purpose was to put survival back into the game by putting survivors back on the ground and interacting with content, then why in the same release did they add a transporter?

As for the nerf itself, I could buy off on some changes to the way flyers are handled.  If done properly, the animals could have become purposed tools rather than flying bricks. Some ideas that I think would have gone a long way towards making a nerf more palatable would be:

Ptera - Personal Transport - Speed adaptable, within limits and carry hindered.  Dodos and Dilos Only
Tappy - Battle Mount - Speed adaptable, but slower than Ptera, add greater carry to include humans and maybe some other creatures.
Argie - Utility - Keep the damage capability, carry capabiity and higher stamina.  It sucks to lose the speed, but a good trade for long distance carry.
Quetz - Heavy Hauler, slow as hell, stamina still regens when not mounted in flight, and damage even with Argie.

I am sure there are a million opinions on just what tweaks should be made to each animal to make it viable, but removing the stamina regeneration from a quetz was absolutely removing the story line from the game.  How does a wild quetzel never land if it does not have stamina regeneration capabilities?

I would love to hear more opinions on how as a game community, we would recommend meeting WC somewhere in the middle on this nerf.

Let me find a crash log for the update, some function of the new patch is crashing my game alot, The crash report is attatched, if anyone knows what this means, maybe we could tell studio wildcard what to fix. Even my friend who never crashes had a crash. I would not be suprised if it was the new inventory UI

01.04-17.19.21.crashstack

Ya know.... on the Xbox one version. When rocks respawn where your dino is... it really shouldn't delete all the hard work i put into taming my friggin allosarus and rexs!! ? sorry. I love the game, its just that all that hard work erased in a matter of seconds from a rock, really ticks me off. I searched everywhere for that albino female rex. Also another not (Sorry for all this complaining) I have not found a single diplocalus, ovis, amonite, electrophoros, micrraptor, thylacleo, in my entire game. Its reasad that i cant find a single one after searching the entire island multiple times. Again sorry for the complaining, im sure you must get lots of it since its impossible to make everyone happy, and i know your very very busy. But if you read this, thank you and i will continue the enjoy this game despite the small inconveniences. Thank you, and sorry for the book long message

Omg omg omg put it back, if you have a heart put it back the way it was or at least make this flier nerf server optional because this is killing me smalls. I've lost all joy for this game in one patch blow and I was so excited for underwater building but you just killed all love I had for the avian class of dinos, and there was a lot of love for those sill birds of mine. I don't even want to play in the water now that I know I can't take to the air. And flying convoy with my friends has now died. I'm truely saddened by your aggressive attack on the avian class players. Now take your underwater base coolness that I was so looking forward too and shove it where the sun don't shine. Because this flier nerf was nothing more then a big middle finger in the face of every quetzal base loving zippy argent flying survivor in this community, pvp or pve this was to much to force on players. 

I now hate flying, and it was my favorite part of the game. Truely thank you WC for recreating the feelings we had when you took the fear outta fear evolved 2. *cough vamps* *cough werewolves cough*

Highly hate this new patch. The flyer nerf is a bust, and I am on PVE. I farm from the top of a Volcano and my Quetzal DIED because its stamina can barely get him to fly over the ocean and of course, there was a T-Rex there. Stamina dosent regenerate as fast, so i just sat there without stamina as the TRex ate this bird that takes two hours of official server time to tame. What if i bred the quetzals? Spent an entire week hatching and raising this bird only for it to barely fly and get Killed. I also cant fly to the artic areas or anywhere on the other flyers because one, I have to land in the marsh to regain stamina, which of course will kill me and my bird, and can't fly from south jungle to redwoods because its impossible, Bird will run out of stamina, I will drown, bird lost. I only fed the animals an i ma not playing ark today because of it all. 

The UI is a bad descion, I understand its new and we can get used to it, but some words pop out and are crisp, but others in the inventory and on the charachter page are so tiny i have to squint to see it now. the last gui was partly see throguh so it didit cover up the screen and it was plain, this blue one is so distracting. 

On top of that, I can no longer take one thing out of storage, I have to take the entire inventory and one at a time take one piece to make whatever small stack I need. Its annoying and time consuming. If there is a new way to do it, Then Wild Card, please explain in some kind of patch notes or reply, if not, then turn it back to the way it was. 

I have heard that the flyer nerf was Ark's way of trying to make us use more land dinos. So their solution is to break flyers and make the water even more dangerous. If they don't want us to fly or go in the air, remove all water and flyers. That way we will truly have no choice. Can't be because people complain about other's being able to fly across the map because there is a teleporter added. Can't be to help the little guy because the TEK only helps the big tribes; and weaker flyers hurts the little guy just as much of not more than the big tribes.

Here I thought ARK was a great place to play a game the way you want to and not follow a set dictation of events like many other games. May as well play a role play game or First person shooter that won't let you advance until to do all the little details. So much for survival by your wits! Guess its turning into another "do what's expected" game instead of a truly unique experience that each player can make their own. More important to keep the lazy players happy than those who take pride in all their accomplishments.

As for the new dino's and UI changes, I have no issue at the moment. The dino's are cool, but yet to see what I think of each one. As for the new UI, well I just need time to get used to it. Quite frankly, if there are any issues with it I haven't noticed since being so shocked and the massive changes to the flyers. I never felt there was a problem with them. Perhaps ARK dev's need to expand who they get their opinions from before making drastic changes. For now, I am going to be playing a lot less of the game. Trying to decide if it's worth it to play.

17 hours ago, Vermithrax said:

thing is we pay for a service to enjoy- if we are paying to enjoy something and they fail to supply enjoyment then no- they are not in the right, The point is we give them money to give us enjoyment not make it unplayable. 

If this makes the game 'unplayable' for you, then you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.