Rex vs Gigazino, the definitive analysis

killkrazed

18 minutes ago, killkrazed said:

I was also using an autoclicker to test. Set to 1ms.

Then something is wrong on your end. The attack speed for a Rex cannot be 1.0 since even the dummy shows a higher DPS than single attacks.

If Rexes attack speed would be 1, the dummy would show the same number on every attack and DPS. But it doesn't. That's how simple math works and even the Thatch multiplier doesn't magically add damage to DPS.

I would just suggest you to test it again in a singleplayer enviroment where input or server delay do not play a role since your numbers do not represent the maximum I tested.

@Jostabeere

Actually, on my end the Rex does show the exact number for both DPS and damage when testing on a training dummy, point for point (2061/2061) - on the online server anyway (with about 40 ping).

When testing on a singleplayer world they both seem to have the same attack speed of 1.4... and their damage is substantially higher (Lv1 Rex was hitting for over 6k despite my dino's online having much higher stats). I have no mods that affect dino's in anyway, only mods being S+ and ACM. I don't know what is going on with these numbers anymore.

I personally don't trust the singleplayer numbers as server settings can play an important role, and we know that Rexes should not have the same attack speed as a Therizino.
The numbers from online servers will give more relevant results in my opinion, since that is where you will be using them.

In the end depending on what server you are on the numbers may be skewed somewhat, but the results will ultimately end up being the same.

9 hours ago, killkrazed said:

• Actually, I never once said the Rex had higher dps than the Therizino against wild targets. I did say the Therizino has higher dps, but it's a very small difference.

that's my point, your math says rex dps is 63 and theriz is 62.4. unless I've misread this or am missing something.

Good work on the theriz equation. this is even more important now with the flyer nerf. no one really does true pvp, mostly offline raiding, but now the theriz is truly OP in terms of dino on dino fighting.

11 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Then something is wrong on your end. The attack speed for a Rex cannot be 1.0 since even the dummy shows a higher DPS than single attacks.

If Rexes attack speed would be 1, the dummy would show the same number on every attack and DPS. But it doesn't. That's how simple math works and even the Thatch multiplier doesn't magically add damage to DPS.

I would just suggest you to test it again in a singleplayer enviroment where input or server delay do not play a role since your numbers do not represent the maximum I tested.

The answer to the discrepancy may be explained by an old test that I remember reading about. It was a Rex vs Spino DPS test. They tested using walls and then again with large dinos, and they found that the Rex did in fact attack 1 time every second.... BUT! Sometimes, an attack would hit twice. They never did figure out the rate on it, but based on your tests, I think we can safely say that it is approximately 1 in 5 attacks. Meaning that for every 5 times you clicked to attack (and it actually attacked.) It would hit 6 times, leaving you with a final attack speed (based only on the math) of 1.2 in spite of the animation of the attack happening at an attack speed of 1.

11 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

The answer to the discrepancy may be explained by an old test that I remember reading about. It was a Rex vs Spino DPS test. They tested using walls and then again with large dinos, and they found that the Rex did in fact attack 1 time every second.... BUT! Sometimes, an attack would hit twice. They never did figure out the rate on it, but based on your tests, I think we can safely say that it is approximately 1 in 5 attacks. Meaning that for every 5 times you clicked to attack (and it actually attacked.) It would hit 6 times, leaving you with a final attack speed (based only on the math) of 1.2 in spite of the animation of the attack happening at an attack speed of 1.

I did hit once per attack for approximately 200 attacks. I tested their DPS with a macro for about 3 minutes. Their DPS shows an attack speed of 1.19 for the entire time on the Rex. And 1.4 for Theri.

Unless my game magically sped up the attacks for an unknown reason, he didn't click fast enough, had input lag or overall server lag.

• 3 weeks later...

I also want to add my thanks for doing out all this math in a very well thought out post. Collectively my tribe doesn't much care for rexes--sure they're strong, but they're cumbersome animals and I personally am not that fond of their model (those little pebble things, with many color combinations they just look diseased to me). We're excited to give theris a try instead, even if they are 10x more annoying to tame and it's not as easy to find good saddles for them.

19 minutes ago, Cymas said:

We're excited to give theris a try instead, even if they are 10x more annoying to tame and it's not as easy to find good saddles for them.

Depends on the server you're playing on. On a private PvE with creature-pick up allowed it's very easy to tame a Therizino. Only time consuming af. Another advantage for the Therizino is that they spawn way more often at a good level than a Rex. Downside: breeding takes longer on them and as you said you can only find better saddles in the new underwater caves, as far as I know.

We're on an unofficial with PVE carry enabled. The annoying thing is the kibble. We had one megalo but it just straight disappeared one day; never got a death notification so it probably fell through the map and despawned or something. Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. So we need to tame a few and hope they don't share the same fate as the first one. And we're nowhere near ready for the underwater caves, haven't been able to find good whales to tame yet.

It'll definitely happen, just not for awhile.

here's a question that as far as I knoe, no one has thought of:  If you let your rexes starve a lot before a big fight or stimberry them to drop food, then dump a ton of meat in it once combat starts, does meat eaten passively heal it like meat forcefed?  I'd assume that it does.  So doing that would likely greatly enhance your carnivores in-combat health regen like vegi cakes on herbs, maybe even more effectively.

Archived