New UI Feedback and Thoughts

Jtmorris

So earlier, Jeremy posted a pic of the new User Interface (UI) that is coming with today's patch . With the release of the UI, I would love to hear people's thoughts now that we can actually see it! (*just saw that the patch was delayed to tomorrow)

What do you love about it?
What concerns you?
What's better about the looks? Functionality?
If you were a developer? What would you change or tweak about the new system? (Obviously lots needed to change about the old one, but how about this one?)

If you are on PC and using it, what do you love about it?

----

Personally, I love the clean, smooth look.
I'm looking forward to testing out the functionality improvements

I'm very concerned about being able to read any of it on console. There seem to be zero changes to font size. 
Blue on blue writing lacks contrast. I wonder if when the crispness of a computer monitor is removed, and on a TV, if the lack of contrast will make the writing illegible.
I'm very concerned that on split screen, the writing will be pretty much invisible too.

I hope that on console at least, there can be tabs where then the inventory can utilize the entire screen (or half, or even two thirds of it)
I also hope that you can toggle the names on and off. The names were very helpful when I started out.

I'm really excited for it overall!

Capture.thumb.JPG.484c0652206685817cb9badb79a0489b.JPG

What do you think?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't like it.
Not in an I-hate-the-devs-putting-time-and-effort-into-this way, I do appreciate the work they put into it but... if it was optional, I'd opt out in a heartbeat.
It's not that the new UI is so terrible, if I were to join the game after it had been added I would've adapted to it just fine I imagine. However, I personally like the current one just fine, it feels very much of a case of fixing something that isn't broken, and when there is no perceived benefit to change, it is just way more comfortable to stick with what you're used to.

22 minutes ago, Oggybobo said:

My hopes is there are improvements rather than just prettiness.

Unless I missed something on the older interface, we are at very least getting a visual indicator of the spoil timers' progress on the item icons.

16 minutes ago, Andreauru said:

We need a ammunition slot, because u always will transfer ammo out your inventory when press "transfer all"  

Think I heard mention of right-click/context menus. Perhaps we will get some sort of "lock"/"hold on to" item functionality that can cover multiple purposes. Not saying I am expecting to to be in there, just being hopeful and recognizing the very existence of a context menu opens up a lot of possibilities.

But to add a little criticism... they couldn't combine the portrait and equipment panels like most other games do? (Combine in the middle that is, no reason to make changing equipment out a screen spanning affair.)

I would wait with feedback until I can try it. I'm afraid none of the functional issues going to be addressed, but lets see if the UI overhaul is not just UI DESIGN change.

People somehow think UI is about how the interface looks like, what is the color, how the buttons look like, but the real key is the USABILITY, how easy and intuitive to use it, how it helps during the daily usage to make everything faster and comfortable.

For me current UI has functional problems like: 

- sorting is broken: why sorting reverts to unsorted once I try to interact with the inventory? I expect sorting to actually sort the inventory and keep it sorted (so actually moves the items to sorted slots, so if someone opens the box I sorted, they will see the items that way. 

-  textual filter cannot be configured to be permanent (until I delete it), no regexps supported. 

- opening more than 2 inventories simoultaneously, with the possibility to rearrange the inventory windows in the way I like.... eg when I craft, I could open my inv, the fabricator, the storages in range etc. 

- No autostacking button, or even the stacking mechanism could be better (like when you move items between inventories, they could be stacked together automatically). I know there are some workarounds, but this could be more comfortable.

- I miss hotkeys for some buttons (like take all, transfer all - or if they are there, why they are not indicated on the UI)

etc etc.

Firstly, the UI must be functional and useful. If it's tedious, no shiny UI design will make up for that.

I want to:

• Be able to stack all items at once by click.
  • I want to double click on armor and it will be autoassigned to armor slots.
  • Functional sorting buttons. Sorting by type of the item, its weight.  
  • All delays of opening the inventory removed.

And please... Clean up the engram tree finally...

We will see what they cooked up in the lab soon.

I don't like it. Not because of the format/layout, but because of the color scheme they chose. I'd very much appreciate some themes we can choose from that'll allow us to pick different colors. This new UI looks a lot cleaner though.

I'd like to see hard numbers for stats/dinos/gear though. I know we can jump on the Wiki and look them up/calculate them, but it'll be nicer to have them in-game. If I want to double check my rex's damage, "500%" isn't going to help me much. It'll also help players who don't know about the Wiki, or who aren't in to Googling everything.

I've had to explain a few times to a few different people that a longneck with increased damage percentage doesn't do the same amount of damage/torpor as a crossbow with the same damage percentage increase. It'll be helpful to get actual numbers instead of just percentages.

2 hours ago, Irk said:

I'd like to see hard numbers for stats/dinos/gear though. I know we can jump on the Wiki and look them up/calculate them, but it'll be nicer to have them in-game. If I want to double check my rex's damage, "500%" isn't going to help me much. It'll also help players who don't know about the Wiki, or who aren't in to Googling everything.

Pretty much this.

There are other concerns about new UI layout:

i dont see buttons for "use"/"drop"/"transfer" - there is crafting queue instead (why?)

why is there a character model in inventory screen that wastes 40% of the screen?

why equipment slots are separated by stats in the middle? Wouldnt it be better to keep all 6 slots to the left and stats to the right?

once again: stat window should be unified for Players/Dinos and sould contain "Name", "Species(Gender)" (Human(M/F) for players or Trike(M) for male Trike), "Tribe". Currently there is no way to find species or gender on dino stats page - you have to close inventory and look at floating name. Would help quite a lot when trying to discern whose inventory did you open in a cluster of dinos.

Concern about remote inventory for dinos: if you swap character model for remote inventory - that means that players would have to drag items across whole screen making it less convenient. If remote dinos' inventory layout stays close to what we have now - then UI lacks conformity making it nightmare for motion memory.

I used my leet paining skills to show a bit of what i was talking about:

My_ui_opinion.jpg

Edit: The other idea is to have stats to the Right, Whatever you are opening (inventory, dino inventory, storage box) in the middle and sub inventory to he Left (Player's inventory when you are looking at any other remote storage or crafting part if its player's inventory).

The new UI looks fine to me. Hard to say how I feel about it before I've tried it firsthand.

What I would like to see in the UI is:

- Option to toggle transparent background, so that you can see what goes on in front of you, while looking through the inventory.
- Option to "lock" selected items in your inventory, so that if you "transfer/drop/eat"-all, the items that you have "locked" will stay in your inventory. Same should apply for dino inventories.
- "Days surviving" (a clock showing how many ark days since you created your survivor)
- Some kind of player "score", that shows how much metal you have mined, wood you have chopped, fiber garthered, animals tamed, and animals killed.

I am looking forward to try the new UI

3 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

The other idea is to have stats to the Right, Whatever you are opening (inventory, dino inventory, storage box) in the middle and sub inventory to he Left (Player's inventory when you are looking at any other remote storage or crafting part if its player's inventory).

Or better yet, only show stats on a separate character/outfitting UI... that automatically filters inventory to the equipment available and other things that can be applied to the character (like paint).

I'm sure most of you have seen them, but there were 2 separate threads created by WC (I think both by Jat) that were once pinned looking for feedback on the UI.  Most if not all the things I've seen in this thread were talked about.  Until we can get it in our hands the only thing we can say for sure is that we don't like the color or the UI seems to have a lot of wasted space.  On the console with lower res this is likely going to be problematic, though perhaps they'll do something a bit different there.  

We'll now have to wait and see what is coming for sure and hope they listened to and thought through the feedback they were given.

Of course, I've thought game UI design for inventory management has been abysmal for years now (thanks in no small part to the console market's screen distance/resolution concerns). Would it kill game designers to give us a "detail" view for inventory where we can view items' stats and sort them by those stats, instead of hovering over every item waiting for a tool tip to pop up and show us the information? (With smaller, ideally scaleable to user preference in all "views", icons so we can see more than a handful of items at once!)

I'm hoping that is what that third "button" over the inventory (that looks like a phone's reception meter sideways) is actually for.

1 hour ago, Uueerdo said:

Or better yet, only show stats on a separate character/outfitting UI... that automatically filters inventory to the equipment available and other things that can be applied to the character (like paint).

We're trying to make there be less of a screen transition to the UI. At least i hope that's what everyone's common goal is. It already takes long enough to open the inventory screen at times. Adding sub windows might make the time we're sitting in the inventory screen much longer

9 minutes ago, ShawnWolf said:

We're trying to make there be less of a screen transition to the UI. At least i hope that's what everyone's common goal is. It already takes long enough to open the inventory screen at times. Adding sub windows might make the time we're sitting in the inventory screen much longer

I'm wasn't suggesting sub windows. I was suggesting completely separate windows; so we are not looking at irrelevant character data from inventory, nor irrelevant inventory when managing our character (stats/appearance).

I'm looking forward to first reports! Lots of great ideas.
After looking closer, at the top it looks like a tabs system is present (a good thing for speed). But man, that text is tiny. It's one thing when you are two feet from your crisp computer screen, but a whole different thing, when you are 10-15 feet away from your fuzzy TV screen.

I was expecting something more like this for legibility reasons: 1.thumb.jpg.44a25d4e648c6946060c15e55d5c6db0.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jtmorris said:

I'm looking forward to first reports! Lots of great ideas.
After looking closer, at the top it looks like a tabs system is present (a good thing for speed). But man, that text is tiny. It's one thing when you are two feet from your crisp computer screen, but a whole different thing, when you are 10-15 feet away from your fuzzy TV screen.

I was expecting something more like this for legibility reasons: 1.thumb.jpg.44a25d4e648c6946060c15e55d5c6db0.jpg

That looks pretty damn good actually. It could do with less stretching, but i see what you were going for

Archived