Mept

My opinion, there is definitely room for better looking graphics, but I don't want them touching it until they get the engine more optimized performance wise and the do a pass on the Dino and other models.  Improving graphics before doing that is wasted energy and likely to make the game lag even more than it currently does.

Also curious on seeing what they do with this game on the Xbox Scorpio as well.

The game looks great on the pro. No low res dino textures at all (besides texture pop-in). I just don't think either of the standard consoles has that capability. Have you been in any forested or structure heavy environments? The FPS on both the standard consoles is practically trashed as soon as you leave the beaches. Not to mention how atrocious XB1 used to look and run.

• Volunteer Moderator
24 minutes ago, mleii said:

My opinion, there is definitely room for better looking graphics,

you are free to state yours of course, but opinions are not valid when discussing hardware beyond "i like this brand", etc. the hardware can either do it to the degree that constitutes "better graphics" or it cant. engine optimization can help some, we are talking about pretty limited hardware specs here. im not being snarky, its best to look at things with realistic expectations is all.:)

in case you dont know what is in your xbox1:

The Xbox One is powered by an 8-core x86 AMD CPU 1.75ghz (almost certainly based on AMD's Kabini), and a GPU that's very similar to the Radeon 7790. There's 8GB of DDR3 RAM (shared between the CPU and GPU), 32MB of very fast SRAM on the graphics die, and a total of 200GB of memory bandwidth.

***a little more infos: 

Kabini is a budget-friendly, low-power System on Chip (SoC) processor that incorporates CPU, GPU and I/O controller in a single die

• Administrator

You'll certainly see some improvements going forward to how it looks and how it performs. We've got some more working going on right now on rendering improvements which should be hitting consoles hopefully by the next major version. I think it's safe to say that Abstraction have done a solid job on the PS4 version game and I suspect we may work with them on improving the Xbox version as they're console experts :)

10 minutes ago, ShawnWolf said:

The game looks great on the pro. No low res dino textures at all (besides texture pop-in). I just don't think either of the standard consoles has that capability. Have you been in any forested or structure heavy environments? The FPS on both the standard consoles is practically trashed as soon as you leave the beaches. Not to mention how atrocious XB1 used to look and run.

Good point, forgot to say I know nothing about the PS4 and pro model.  For all I know they are at the highest res, though given we haven't hit the major optimization phase of the game I'm going to guess there would be improvements there as well.

Currently the Xbox version isn't running at full res it can do, very likely to just make the game playable until a later phase of the game.  Just like it got good enough to bump up the game resolution last year.  Cannot recall what version.

1 minute ago, ThzNutz said:

you are free to state yours of course, but opinions are not valid when discussing hardware beyond "i like this brand", etc. the hardware can either do it to the degree that constitutes "better graphics" or it cant. engine optimization can help some, we are talking about pretty limited hardware specs here. im not being snarky, its best to look at things with realistic expectations is all.:)

in case you dont know what is in your xbox1:

The Xbox One is powered by an 8-core x86 AMD CPU 1.75ghz (almost certainly based on AMD's Kabini), and a GPU that's very similar to the Radeon 7790. There's 8GB of DDR3 RAM (shared between the CPU and GPU), 32MB of very fast SRAM on the graphics die, and a total of 200GB of memory bandwidth.

My point is that they are not currently running the game at the highest resolution currently possible.  Don't even touch that until the game is fully optimized.

1 minute ago, Jat said:

You'll certainly see some improvements going forward to how it looks and how it performs. We've got some more working going on right now on rendering improvements which should be hitting consoles hopefully by the next major version. I think it's safe to say that Abstraction have done a solid job on the PS4 version game and I suspect we may work with them on improving the Xbox version as they're console experts :)

Ty much for the clarification. I keep track of your tweets because you're the man. Is it too soon to ask if we may see more shaders used? Also motion blur is not functioning properly Jat, will we see that fixed anytime soon?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, ShawnWolf said:

Ty much for the clarification. I keep track of your tweets because you're the man. Is it too soon to ask if we may see more shaders used? Also motion blur is not functioning properly Jat, will we see that fixed anytime soon?

I can't say how soon for sure because there's a lot of juggling of priorities here. There's a lot going on in the background for consoles too that we can't quite comment on yet but are actively working on. I can say that your experience will only improve, and as will the game. I will mention it to an engineer, though, but I suspect it's already in the back of their minds along with many other things :)

3 minutes ago, Jat said:

I can't say how soon for sure because there's a lot of juggling of priorities here. There's a lot going on in the background for consoles too that we can't quite comment on yet but are actively working on. I can say that your experience will only improve, and as will the game. I will mention it to an engineer, though, but I suspect it's already in the back of their minds along with many other things :)

That's great. Exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. Keep up the excellent work. Oh btw i can spawn in a Mirror on console but cannot see myself in it lol. I guess that's still better than the non-existant war map.

1 hour ago, Jat said:

Thanks for all the updates and hard work you guys are doing Jat. Love the game and I can't wait to see what else you have coming for us!

2 hours ago, Jat said:

I do sometimes get the impression that they're trying to juggle too many balls at the moment. The introduction of new content should be put on hold for now until all the issues with the current game are resolved. I do understand it's a big assed game and I personally don't think they're doing a bad job. But they ain't making their lives any easier.

35 minutes ago, Uglymonkey84 said:

I will say, Ark has made me want to go back to PC gaming, some of the gameplay I see online from PC capture looks awesome. But that's what I get for playing on a console. Keep up the hard work and long hours, awesome work so far.

If you can't afford a 1000$ PC then just get a ps4 pro for 420 bucks or wait for the scorpio to release. If you look into it you'll find the game looks damn good on it. It's missing the cool shine effect on the shores of beaches that i like but that's my only gripe with it so far

Archived