Good deeds in ARK?

Anarki

So have you been one of these known bullies are have you done a good deed or two within ARK?

I felt quite happy about myself last night (I have previously told this in another topic but felt it could be a useful topic on its own) as I helped out a new player to the server. i cant say if he was new to ARK or just the server but I definitely helped someone in need. Here is how it went down:

I saw a 120 Rex annihilating a new player and his base. He was trying to protect his Trike and a few other little dinos and his thatch house, just over the river from our base. I flew over, asked if he required a bit of help with the pursuing Rex. 

'Yes' came the reply. I downed, the Rex, left him the carcass for hides etc and then flew back to my base and picked up a female low level Argy (85) and flew it down to his base. He had wandered off somewhere so I landed the Argy behind his spikes and unclaimed the bird for him to take when he returned.

Messaged him in main chat and he replied very happily.

Always like a good ending. His answer to the killing of the Rex was 'Thanks, there was a it of history between us'. Ha Ha, I love a guy with a good sense of humour :)

So, have you any good deeds you wish to share or possibly do you have an argument as to why you shouldn't help a new player to the game or server?

i love to do good things to, did one yesterday.

last week the game gave me a very nice, high level, color mutated argent (its completely cyan colored with a little darker body).

yesterday i got my first fertilized egg and gave it to another player on the server who didn't have a high lvl argent yet, needless to say that he breeded it instantly and was very happy with his newborn cyan argent B|  

That was cool of you to do. Good job!

My tribe and I are usually pretty helpful. Back when we played P+ on the Center, we built up a pretty big base and had far too many resources. We ended up helping out our neighbors, to the point where some of them refused help 'cause they felt as if they'd never be able to repay us, even though we weren't asking for payment. We'd save up all of the metal tools, higher quality chitin/cloth/hide gear we'd find and drop them off to newer players so they wouldn't struggle as hard. I hid JM pike's around the map, which I don't think anyone found, just to give people a little surprise to stumble on. We'd replaced lost dino's for our neighbors, and help secured their base/land by donating pillars and making sure their bases weren't kited/under attack. If you were near us, we tried taking care of you.

Though, we secretly had a mean side. Back then there was a glitch with gunpowder barrels where you can destroy peoples stuff, even on PvE. We hit up the server trolls a couple of times, destroying their smithy/bookshelf to grab their stuff. We'd destroy random stuff of theirs like beds, or drag them out and drown them after we blew a hole in their base. We also destroyed peoples structures around beaver ponds and pillared them off to bring back dams. Good times.

Here's a really crazy karma story for ya!

We're generally a pretty peaceful tribe, we like building really hard to break into structures, and breeding stuff, we're not really raider types.

So this guy blew into my rex taming raft and took the token taming supplies I kept in there, what was more annoying is that he blew up the back half to get in, when it only had a wooden door! The guy's response was basically thanks for the supplies, gave me a nice little leg up! Fair game.

Anyway a few days later I log in and hop on the discord with the rest of the tribe and as I'm loading in I'm like "Oh yeah, the other day some guy broke into our raft so I guess we finally have an enemy!" The guys update me with whats been going on on their end, and finish it off by saying "some guy downed a quetz and it landed inside our walls so we're just keeping it down and taming it for him" Anyway we quickly realised that this was actually the guy that blew into our raft and he'd just been keeping shtum and hoping the rest of the tribe didn't notice.

So when it comes to handing over the quetz I'm like "OH HI, REMEMBER WHEN I SAID I WOULDN'T FORGET ABOUT THE RAFT" and we kept the quetz he downed.

The following weekend we log in, I'm in a good mood ask how stuff is going the raft blower upper says stuff's going well, it's his birthday, he's heading out for a meal in a bit. So I scout out our second best longneck blueprint and hook him up with it as a birthday present, to show that everything is settled between us; he was really grateful and it was quite a nice little ark moment.

Then an hour later two random tribes allied up and spent 2 hours suicide bombing our hatchery and hangar before spending the rest of the day wiping us entirely.

Ark Life.

2 minutes ago, sal said:

Giving away stuff to newbies is always fun =).

We are drowning in dinos and items so i often donate stuff. I found out however that you should never overdoo donating because Ark is about achieving stuff by yourself =).

It is definitely a balance. We are now only really looking at 140+ tames so if we come across a new player, we are happy to provide one of 'has been' dinos as a present but then the resources etc we will let them get otherwise players will never learn where they have to go to get it. 

Ive come across a few players where we are all waiting for a base to timeout and claim the dinos. Through discussion we have worked out what we all want and then agreed to which dinos we want. Its nice when you come across players with a fair understanding of gameplay unlike the rogues who just take selfishly (Im talking PvE here not PvP as that is pretty much everything is fair game).

There was a tribe that impersonated mine(Alpha) to attack this baby tribe that is owned by a dad and his son. I literally had 20+ members of my tribe swarm over the imposters and follow them back to their main server(saw it on a dead bird). We proceeded to wipe them there, lol. Real talk, we have given away fertilized eggs, build a "community" forge on the Volcano, had haircut days to make fur armor for newbie tribes, etc. Its great fun being alphas, but I do love helping new players.

i tamed a 130 giga with 170 melee but since it wasnt better then what i got, i gave it away for free.
helped a new player tame a 125 beaver, let him inside my taming pen and gave him kibble and narcotics.
sadly what i noticed is that giving alot away for free makes beginning players greedy for more and they keep that attitude of needing help.
so lately in our server we tell them that the game is best played without help as much as we can. and 90% of beginners quit in the first 2 weeks anyway.

i also own 90% of the best bp's in our server. they can all be crafted at my place if they bring the materials.

A couple weeks ago I tamed a 135 giga and gave it to another guy on the server because his tribe mates stole his high level one and transferred to another server. Mine are bred and have higher melee (plus I have 4 and I'm solo), so I really didn't need it. 

Edit: It's nice helping people on ark, but there definitely is a balance, new people aren't grateful for anything if they're given everything, and they generally don't stick with the game. One of my best friends in real life finally joined me on ark, but he only lasted like a month or so because I already had everything and he just didn't get it. He never went through the early game or tamed anything, just used my dinos and thought it was boring. 

I set up a community vault for new players with equipment/saddles/structures, a community refinery on the volcano, give away eggs of my high level creatures, build paths in caves to access artifacts without stress and always help if somebody needs me. For now I play Ark just for breeding and testing, because there aren't many things you can do as a solo player (boss fights/underwater stuff)...

I played on Prim+14 Official with two friends who had built up a massive base. I hadnt played before, didnt really understand what it was all about. They gave me a Raptor, a Ptera and all I did was go round doing a little killing. After about 1 week they stopped playing and I did too with no real feeling for the game.

4 weeks ago, I started with my friend (one of the guys from before) but because we started the game together on another server I learned properly and now really enjoy the game. There is a certain balance of understanding needed about learning the game but I feel giving a player a little help is always nice too.

My point here is only help players who are in need of it, and only a little help too or they will never realise the potential of the game or learn how to become a good player.

1 hour ago, JoeBob1024 said:

We tend to help noobs by giving them what we call a "starter base"  I'll give a new tribe an argent with 4 metal foundations, 4 cielings, 12 walls, and a metal dino gate in the inventory lol

That is awesome, I give starter tribes utility tames. That way they can build up themselves. If you give nubcakes to much they will expect it.

9 minutes ago, Kaoslion said:

That is awesome, I give starter tribes utility tames. That way they can build up themselves. If you give nubcakes to much they will expect it.

Yeah, as they do ask for more some times... We're just good at saying no lol.  The way I look at it is, having a metal base to hold your shizz early on encourages people to build up and discourages trolls. In my experience, trolls are usually lazy, so they look for easier quarries. Thus isn't always true, but it helps defend against people who join a server and rub aid pikeing down doors on stone bases.

I keep a few storage containers of items that I find in drops or stuff I have accumulated to give away to new players. Usually containing apprentice and lower pre made armor, weapons, and tools. Saw a new tribe with all new player move in nearby I gave them a ptera, raft, and enough armor/tools/weapons to get them going. I like accommodating peoples requests in chat especially if they are new to ARK in general.

l tools in earlier game on official can really make a difference. 

Its fun to be nice! Im also a solo player and get lonely lol 

I agree with most, helping others is a lot of fun and satisfying, but also believe that balance is key.

I think you can ruin a new players experience if they are given too much. They need to experience what it takes to collect, harvest, fight to survive and lose a precious tame. 

If I am out on my Rex and am strolling by a new players base, I drop them a bunch of raw meat or spare tools. If someone is taming near the base, I will place spiked walls around their tame to shield it from predators and ask if they need anything to help out.

One really fun thing I like to do is tame random animals like Phiomias, Raptors, Dodos unclaim them and drop them into neighbouring bases or too new players. Nothing funnier then seeing on Global Chat..."where did this Phiomia come from?" LOL

So, another evening has passed on the unofficial i play on and my next good deed is on the go :D.

One person who has her base on one of the icebergs way up north asked me if i could spare some cementing paste as she has a lot of travelling to do to get to the swamp.

I told her it was no problem for me to give her some since i own an achatina and cp is something i have in abundance. Our server was down for maintenance, so i couldn't give it to her yesterday. Today when i got up to early (again) i had some time to log on and tought to myself: "let's just find an achatina for her and give it as a present". ventured to the swamp on my blue bird, grabbed one, went back and tamed it. I also made a small care package (10 veggie-cakes :D). After i logged off, i spoke her on steam, she was very excited and her exact words: "aww thats so sweet", however she also told me she is going to be in the hospital for a while so i think i might just take care of it for her until she returns (she isn't from my tribe)

The fact that i love about this is that i am actually the last person to join the server (am on it for about 3 weeks now) and i'm helping people who are on it for a long time now. B|

With so much bullying and trolling being done to the lower tribes/new players some of us in our particular server have taken the art of trolling to a positive light.  where in the end the victim was given the best welcoming committee's initiation;

- One day a new spawn showed up (before transfers) near stone henge and he was busy trying to put together his first house but between the ever so helpful dilos and raptiors that roam the place kept slowing his progress down which probabaly made him freak out when he saw someones rex walk by on a meat run. He starts freaking out and hides in his thatch house demanding on the mic and chat to go away or else.. So like a good neighbor this guy says in global im not here for your awesome collection of thatch but he keeps up. So out of curiosity half of the server comes to investigate the spectical of the mighty rex.. once we realize that the new player is freaking out over a rex on a meat run we decided as a whole we were gonna mess with him... we had beavers bears and dodics despatched  post haste while the guy on the rex spams the roar soon a giga and dire wolf join in. Now mind you we had no intention of destroying what he worked so hard for but i guess with 30 people running around outside "preparing the raid of a life time" we made sure he heard everything over the mic but what he didnt see was the beaver, bear and dodic out gathering near by several dodos were also knocked out and being tamed. Once the dodos and eventually a low leve raptor with a primi bp saddle was crafted it was time to kick down the door. Mind you we have been talking about going in from all four sides of his house like it was gonna be a slaughter so as we said its time he comes out with a spear ready to go out swinging.. we knocked him out and started to fill his inventory up with the prefabed stone house 2x2 worth then we gave him the primi metal tools. He went quiet and told him to calm down we arent here for your base. Once he got up and saw he put his spear away and the dodos and raptor was given to him and as quick as we all appeared we scattered in to the 4 winds.

That post made me chuckle. 

Two things go through my mind here. If he was that worried about being raided and that you all were telling him how you were going to bash him in, he would surely have logged off? If he didnt, and then you knocked him out as he came out of his hut, then surely this time he would of logged off (probably forever) knowing he was never going to get a proper start on that server,

My conclusion here is... he probably knew that nothing was going to happen and was playing along just for fun. Still, nice of you to leave him some gifts :)

I looked for our new player on our server last night to see if he needed anything after I gave him his first Argy. Low and behold he had a Tapejara and a Pelogornis sitting in his base, even we hadnt got one of those yet! (Other things we are concentrating on tbh). Still it was nice to see he had progressed so quickly.

Ill hook him up later and see if he needs some help upgrading to a stone building as his thatch hut isnt really upgradable.

Yeah, though i would like to think he wanted to stand up to us and see how many of us would be killed before his spear broke.  But to me the fun was the server came together to help someone start out shoot we had a few of the rivalling tribes there working together not worried about being killed or kidnapped. It was a moment the server ready for war but really enjoyed a peaceful show of compassion  

1 minute ago, HoMeRj613 said:

Sometimes we go to a white drop take out all the crappy stuff but 1 item and put in about 1000 hide, make's for a nice surprise for a noob thinking he's getting a few thatch items.

Oh snap i never thought about that im gonna borrow that repackage it and send it out as 1001 hide and a note.. saying this is from those who watch from above that will really mess with people

Archived