Building structures on rafts

bo0MXxXsplatter

18 minutes ago, bo0MXxXsplatter said:

So far I've been only able to fit a 3*3 set of foundations on a raft, does anyone know of a way to put more? Im trying to get a 5*5 or a 5*7 but I can't place foundations off of the side. Are there any ways to do this? (Yes, they have to be foundations)

Place a roof piece, then put foundation underneath. You should then be able to demolish the roof piece leaving the foundation intact

i placed a thatch foundation in the middle of my raft, then used that to line up 4 stone pillars, one at each corner of the raft. (8 in total as i went 2 pillars high)

from there, i could then place stone ceilings on top of them and you could make up to a 5x5 platform (although i only use a 3x4), put a stone hatch and ladder right in the middle for easy access up and down. using foundations on the deck is ugly, and blocks your view when trying to drive the raft - using pillars to elevate the building is a much better idea. it gives you a much better perspective for shooting from the top (especially if you make a second floor and/or balcony) and doesn't block your view when driving your raft.

i'll have to take a screenie of my houseboat when i get home.

i used a similar method for my first house-boat which i used to break into the north and farm a bunch of pelt without dying from extreme cold, as i put a couple of campfires and standing torches both inside and out to keep me warm. it was all made out of wood and survived quite a few dire wolf and sabre cat attacks, even though it only stood on one central pillar.

my current houseboat is fully stone, 2 pillars high off the raft, a 3x4 2 wall high building, with a smithy, forge, fireplace, 2 large storage boxes and a bed, with a 1x3 balcony on the front. there is another hatch on the flat roof, which is fully lined with stone railings, which makes for a perfect argentarvis landing platform which'll fit 2 argies and couple of smaller animals (we had 2 argies, a scorpion and a sabre cat up there). it's a fully functional floating outpost i can use to tame wherever i need to go, as i can bring an argy (or even a quetz) with me to fly further into the island and carry back the tames to the coast.

i've actually just kinda fallen in love with the rafts, they're brilliant for building on, i currently have the houseboat as described, a taming pen-boat, which is mostly just wooden railings in a big box, a craft raft, which is just a few storage boxes on a raft which i use to scout up and down the shore collecting mats and i currently have one spare which i might make into as big a landing platform for fliers as i possibly can... like a mini oil rig...

I consider myself a pretty avid raft/boat engineer, and that second video just blew my mind. Im familiar with the first video, and had used it to design a PVP boat out of stone for a primitive server, but by the time I hit the structure limit, while fully armored, my design had BARELY enough room for my friend and I, and could still be vulnerable to determined attackers. That other video is going to allow me to redesign alllll of my previous boats.

here's my boat

4412FE2AD36557AF10220112DA96B3ADC43F4491

73924AEEFB031CAFF5118963E65715440EED9610

was just on my way back from a trip to the north, bagged me 3 direwolves and 2 penguins, as well as enough pelt for 2 full fur sets and a procoptodon saddle (i finally found one!! then realised i had no pelt to make a saddle).

the fireplace inside the hut kept me plenty warm driving the boat and i was able to use my argentavis to fly out, pick up direwolves, kill them, skin them, then head back to the boat before i froze to death. rinse, repeat, 30 mins later, full fur armor set. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived