PvP Structure Decay

I know that this has been asked before, but none of those posts seem to have a very solid answer.  Is there a way to implement PvP structure decay on a dedicated xbox server? We cant find the option anywhere.  There is an option for pvp dino decay, and  a checkbox with sliders for PvE structure decay...but no pvp structure decay option?  I know that the snobs could switch to pve occasionally to let people destroy structures but the intent here is to let people do it without needing the admins active participation.

Thanks, 

Joe

Guest DJRone89

That makes no sense. If you want to demolish a PvP structure, you destroy it. It's an admins duty to command destroy abandoned structures if the tribe is no longer present. Leaving said structures is bad server housekeeping and can tie up the server structure limit unnecessarily.

9 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

That makes no sense. If you want to demolish a PvP structure, you destroy it. It's an admins duty to command destroy abandoned structures if the tribe is no longer present. Leaving said structures is bad server housekeeping and can tie up the server structure limit unnecessarily.

It makes perfect sense to me...? The problem with admins doing it via commands is twofold. First, there are a TON of little troll bases scattered about that aren't necessarily easy to find if you don't spend much time in the area. The second reason is that spamming the destroy command causes worldchat AIDS and we have a very talkative server.   On official PvP we could demo old abandoned bases without having to waste explosives OR get help from any admins... Why is it crazy to want that same ability? The admins deserve to play too without us always bugging them because some dbag is killing all of the obsidian spawns with his 30 behemoth gates surrounding a burnt out shell of a base...

Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, JoeBob1024 said:

It makes perfect sense to me...? The problem with admins doing it via commands is twofold. First, there are a TON of little troll bases scattered about that aren't necessarily easy to find if you don't spend much time in the area. The second reason is that spamming the destroy command causes worldchat AIDS and we have a very talkative server.   On official PvP we could demo old abandoned bases without having to waste explosives OR get help from any admins... Why is it crazy to want that same ability? The admins deserve to play too without us always bugging them because some dbag is killing all of the obsidian spawns with his 30 behemoth gates surrounding a burnt out shell of a base...

Then why have admins?

4 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Then why have admins?

No dude, for sure.  If you spend money and time buying an Xbox and setting up a server to play with your friends you should DEFINATELY spend 100% of your time running around doing b**** work for anyone who joins your server. Makes. Perfect. Sense.

If I ever start up a server, remind me not to let you on there bro.  We're benefitting from the fact that these guys do something that they don't have to already by maintaining a server for us all to play on.  They are more than happy to help and demo bases if we ask, we just don't want to ask as often as we want to have bases demoed.  Also, admins are there for dino wipes and for banning ubertrolls and for a plethora of other reasons... Since they don't admin cheat they have to fly across the map on their own tames to find whatever base I want gone, which is more trouble than I'm willing to ask for a 4x4 metal base with 3.5 walls and a pillar fence...

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, JoeBob1024 said:

No dude, for sure.  If you spend money and time buying an Xbox and setting up a server to play with your friends you should DEFINATELY spend 100% of your time running around doing b**** work for anyone who joins your server. Makes. Perfect. Sense.

If I ever start up a server, remind me not to let you on there bro.  We're benefitting from the fact that these guys do something that they don't have to already by maintaining a server for us all to play on.  They are more than happy to help and demo bases if we ask, we just don't want to ask as often as we want to have bases demoed.  Also, admins are there for dino wipes and for banning ubertrolls and for a plethora of other reasons... Since they don't admin cheat they have to fly across the map on their own tames to find whatever base I want gone, which is more trouble than I'm willing to ask for a 4x4 metal base with 3.5 walls and a pillar fence...

I run 2 servers and yes it is the responsibility of the admins for the housekeeping of their servers.

EDIT: If a tribe is still on the server then it should be their responsibility to demolish their own structures as a courtesy to the admins. If the tribe refuses then the admins may (or should) act on their behaviour and attitude towards such a simple task.

However, if said tribe has left the server then the admin can run a command that wipes all of that tribes structures in one hit. If admin logging is enabled, it will only be the single command and won't kill the chat.

I'm happy to speak to your admins on your behalf if you want?

10 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

I run 2 servers and yes it is the responsibility of the admins for the housekeeping of their servers.

Lols.  I think you're kinda missing my point bud.  The ability to do this is obviously in the game because A.) It's on official, and B.) When you hit start it says "PVP Structure Decay Disabled" at the bottom of the options list.  Also, I understand that the admins are responsible for server housekeeping, but on a server with a high population that can take up all of their time.  IMO it's a little ridiculous for me, a player on someone else's server, to whine like a needy B about the admins wanting to be able to play Ark after they got off from their full time jobs... I think you only find it ridiculous because you're a little bit of a control freak lol.  "My server will be cleaned, and if you don't spend all of your time cleaning you can't be one of my admins!"  It seems strange to expect admins to spend all of their time on an xbox game without ever getting to play said game...

Also... what does running 2 servers have to do with anything that was previously said in the thread?  I'm very proud of you... I'm just not sure how it's relevant...

Guest DJRone89
1 minute ago, JoeBob1024 said:

Lols.  I think you're kinda missing my point bud.  The ability to do this is obviously in the game because A.) It's on official, and B.) When you hit start it says "PVP Structure Decay Disabled" at the bottom of the options list.  Also, I understand that the admins are responsible for server housekeeping, but on a server with a high population that can take up all of their time.  IMO it's a little ridiculous for me, a player on someone else's server, to whine like a needy B about the admins wanting to be able to play Ark after they got off from their full time jobs... I think you only find it ridiculous because you're a little bit of a control freak lol.  "My server will be cleaned, and if you don't spend all of your time cleaning you can't be one of my admins!"  It seems strange to expect admins to spend all of their time on an xbox game without ever getting to play said game...

You only see it as a players point of view as it literally takes 5 mins of their time to run the command. I agree yes there should be an option like the official servers but the fact that there isn't is why I'm suggesting you propose what I have said to you rather than resorting to name calling.

2 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

You only see it as a players point of view as it literally takes 5 mins of their time to run the command. I agree yes there should be an option like the official servers but the fact that there isn't is why I'm suggesting you propose what I have said to you rather than resorting to name calling.

My bad, I didn't intend to use "control freak" as a negative, or engage in name calling.  I personally am a control freak (hence posting in forums to resolve an issue on a server that I don't host >.> ).  I just intended control freak to be a description of a character trait rather than an insult.  I agree that if it was my server, I'd clean old bases all the time, but I don't think it's something that an admin necessarily has to do every day.  Also, I know that the command takes very little time, but the travel and finding the base can both be rather tedious.  For example, our admin tribe lives on Herb island, and my tribe is up in the icebergs.  Since people on our server trade a lot, it's easier to trade for poly than to come up here looking for org poly.  Therefore, the admins almost NEVER come to our neck of the woods, so they don't really know where raided bases are in our territory.  This means that I have to meet up with them and show them, or at least get them the coords.  Then they have to hop on a ptera, and fly allllll the way up here before destroying chat with commands for the next 5 minutes.

I know this is something that can be edited in PC dedicated servers via server setting commands, but we can't use those on xbox right?

Guest DJRone89
33 minutes ago, JoeBob1024 said:

My bad, I didn't intend to use "control freak" as a negative, or engage in name calling.  I personally am a control freak (hence posting in forums to resolve an issue on a server that I don't host >.> ).  I just intended control freak to be a description of a character trait rather than an insult.  I agree that if it was my server, I'd clean old bases all the time, but I don't think it's something that an admin necessarily has to do every day.  Also, I know that the command takes very little time, but the travel and finding the base can both be rather tedious.  For example, our admin tribe lives on Herb island, and my tribe is up in the icebergs.  Since people on our server trade a lot, it's easier to trade for poly than to come up here looking for org poly.  Therefore, the admins almost NEVER come to our neck of the woods, so they don't really know where raided bases are in our territory.  This means that I have to meet up with them and show them, or at least get them the coords.  Then they have to hop on a ptera, and fly allllll the way up here before destroying chat with commands for the next 5 minutes.

I know this is something that can be edited in PC dedicated servers via server setting commands, but we can't use those on xbox right?

48 minutes ago, JoeBob1024 said:

Also... what does running 2 servers have to do with anything that was previously said in the thread?  I'm very proud of you... I'm just not sure how it's relevant...

I only mentioned that I run the servers as a way of letting you know I host and know exactly what problems you are facing. I'm annoyed that we have been promised certain PC functionality yet have been spared it time and time again. Hell it took 5 updates to get the max dino difficulty added.

Be patient though as we will be getting all the available options but unfortunately we don't have a time frame on it as it will be before full release. I follow most available social media for updates and as a host it's important to keep the community in the know.

I'd suggest if your server hasn't already, set up a club and share your concerns on there. In game chat is just that but members can chat whilst outside of the game while in the club.

3 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

I only mentioned that I run the servers as a way of letting you know I host and know exactly what problems you are facing. I'm annoyed that we have been promised certain PC functionality yet have been spared it time and time again. Hell it took 5 updates to get the max dino difficulty added.

Be patient though as we will be getting all the available options but unfortunately we don't have a time frame on it as it will be before full release. I follow most available social media for updates and as a host it's important to keep the community in the know.

I'd suggest if your server hasn't already, set up a club and share your concerns on there. In game chat is just that but members can chat whilst outside of the game while in the club.

Truuue... We have a club, but there are only like 5 people in it.  I guess I should go through and invite all of the regulars. Thx for the idea.

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 5:35 PM, DJRone89 said:

It's an admins duty to command destroy abandoned structures if the tribe is no longer present. Leaving said structures is bad server housekeeping and can tie up the server structure limit unnecessarily.

Hi DJRone, I'm a server admin of a small server. My family, some friends, and some randoms that pop in from time to time. How can I be sure that a tribe has not logged in in 3 months? There doesn't seem to be a way to check the time of the last time a tribe member logged in. I have noticed a few abandoned structures in my neighborhood, but the tribe may have moved to another location and by wiping out all their structures, I might take out an active base on the other side of the map.
So my question is: How can I be sure a group has truly left the server?
(BTW, I work an 11 hour a day job, have a wife that limits my play to weekends, own a house that needs upkeep, and have a daughter with sporting events on weekends. So that limits my play to about 4 hours a week. Flying around the map looking for abandoned structures is out of the question.)

Guest DJRone89
22 hours ago, Phantom425 said:

Hi DJRone, I'm a server admin of a small server. My family, some friends, and some randoms that pop in from time to time. How can I be sure that a tribe has not logged in in 3 months? There doesn't seem to be a way to check the time of the last time a tribe member logged in. I have noticed a few abandoned structures in my neighborhood, but the tribe may have moved to another location and by wiping out all their structures, I might take out an active base on the other side of the map.
So my question is: How can I be sure a group has truly left the server?
(BTW, I work an 11 hour a day job, have a wife that limits my play to weekends, own a house that needs upkeep, and have a daughter with sporting events on weekends. So that limits my play to about 4 hours a week. Flying around the map looking for abandoned structures is out of the question.)

I have a level of control on my server that extends outside of Ark so that I'm aware of everyone who plays, but what works for me won't necessarily work for you.

You don't have to admin wipe someone's structures, just destroy the abandoned ones.

At the very least you need to ask the players if they still actively play and find out what tribes they are in. Anyone who gets cagey about an admin asking about them, is worth noting down.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived