Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

40 minutes ago, skeeta said:

Although I really really hate the Quetz platform/Ank mining combo (ridiculous idea) I can't see how they can get rid of the platform now. It's been far too widely used so removing it (or even hugely nerfing it) would hand already established tribes an almost insurmountable advantage and make their jobs keeping the little guys down so much easier.

Unless, of course, they wipe on release ;)

Im pretty sure the plan is to release new servers and slowly start closing EA servers as time goes on after release sometime in 2025. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, skeeta said:

Although I really really hate the Quetz platform/Ank mining combo (ridiculous idea) I can't see how they can get rid of the platform now. It's been far too widely used so removing it (or even hugely nerfing it) would hand already established tribes an almost insurmountable advantage and make their jobs keeping the little guys down so much easier.

that mean no longer mass producing explosive too. I really wish cat were meta , i really do.

1 hour ago, Rofelo said:

Nerfing our ability to farm only buffs the dupers and makes it more attractive to players to risk their accounts and tribes.

they should reduce crafting costs by 75% across the board. Increasing gather rates doesn't help because we are still gated by the same weight.

Not to mention that somehow the harvesting code is very weak... on our server (4x gathering), the admin banned our gigantosauruses what we used to gather meat and hide, because once we started to eat a bigger animal (paracer, bronto) the serves just started to lage, and everyone got teleported back and forth :)

Surely the devs know about this, as not long ago they tried to optimize the gathering code, but it still cannotcope with higher gather rates....

13 hours ago, Jat said:

The changes we're making can be undone using mods, or in some cases even altering the stats via ini - but of course our Official Servers will be affected by this change. We do understand that not everyone wants to play the game the way it has been designed by the development team, and that is completely acceptable. This is why we provide the tools for you guys to make your own alterations that you would find enjoyable.

Will we at very minimum get the skills put into our dinos reset so we can re-allocate those skills, some of those dinos have been raised over a very long time with alot of effort especially in PVE where its mostly solo players at the moment.

16 hours ago, JoeBob1024 said:

I don't think they should get rid of platforms, but maybe they could add something to quetzals that gives them a similar behavior to their wild counterparts?  Example: If a quetzal takes more then 20% dmg, the driver loses control while the quetz flees for 30 seconds.  Something along these lines for the quetz AND the pteras would help a lot IMHO.  We live on an iceberg...so the idea of losing our quetz platforms is horrifying.  Have you ever tried to transport a Rex on a boat?  We had 20 rexes spread between 3 quetzals on the trip to broodmother @ blueob yesterday... If we'd had to swim/boat them to the land and then climb blueob it would have taken HOURS instead of the already ridiculous 30 minutes it took to get up there.  Removing the ability to transport land dinos across certain barriers doesn't contribut to survival... it just contributes to the tedious time-wastey aspects of the game.  I thing that it also nerfs land dinos for people that live in certain areas too.  Without platforms noone on the icebergs, or on an island, or in a treehouse would have much of a reason for owning rexes.  We already can't have gigas or paracers because of our location...

Another idea is this: make pteras constantly drain stam until you dismount.  If you're worried about increasing the "survival" aspects of the game then having to dismount in the swamp and wait on stam regen would definately lead to a decrease in survive-ability....

you think its normal to be able to transport 20 rexes on 3 quetzals? even one rex is ridiculous. 

and yes i have transported rexes by boat it isnt impossible. you choose the safety of the iceberg so imo you should deal with the cons of it. wild dinos cannot reach it so getting tamrd dinos (the bigger ones) should cost you some time and effort. 

the while idea of a platform on a bird is ridiculous. it wouldnt even be able to fly with it.

20 hours ago, Jat said:

It's safe to say that everyone is probably going to have a different opinion on the direction to take both flyer based and land based creatures in the game. In terms of the direction we're planning taking now, we'll be tackling flying creatures across the board in most parts. You can expect to see changes to speed, stamina, weight and health (in some cases).

Obviously, this is subject to change before the patch goes live (based on in-house feedback) as well as once the patch has gone live (based on the feedback we receive from the player base as a whole). These won't render them completely useless, I imagine most would still use them as their go to creatures for travelling and transportation - but it will certainly bring them more in line. 

Consider this a first pass of it, it's certainly possible that what we change could be reverted and we decide to take another avenue, or we look towards giving our land-based creatures a big boost. We're pretty close to wrapping up content for the base game which means we can focus a lot on polishing, be it the balance of the game, resolving bugs, improving performance and during that stretch, you'll see more changes directed at the balance of the game - I believe TRH's purpose is to work with our gameplay guys to make sure creatures have roles in the game and you're not just using 1 creature for everything.

The changes we're making can be undone using mods, or in some cases even altering the stats via ini - but of course our Official Servers will be affected by this change. We do understand that not everyone wants to play the game the way it has been designed by the development team, and that is completely acceptable. This is why we provide the tools for you guys to make your own alterations that you would find enjoyable.

I'm grateful that we're able to read a lot of thoughts and opinions on the gameplay changes we make on all our social channels, please remember to respect others opinion, even if you disagree ;) - everyone should feel comfortable sharing what they think is the best way to go :)

Question, Will I be taking Terror birds on raids now to scout. I need an excuse for my tribe man bring me the good news

7 hours ago, monomania said:

Will we at very minimum get the skills put into our dinos reset so we can re-allocate those skills, some of those dinos have been raised over a very long time with alot of effort especially in PVE where its mostly solo players at the moment.

poor PvE baby, try on PvP where every point can mean death. remember the first nerf. a LOT of dinos were dieing left and right over hp

6 hours ago, BobRoss said:

you think its normal to be able to transport 20 rexes on 3 quetzals? even one rex is ridiculous. 

and yes i have transported rexes by boat it isnt impossible. you choose the safety of the iceberg so imo you should deal with the cons of it. wild dinos cannot reach it so getting tamrd dinos (the bigger ones) should cost you some time and effort. 

the while idea of a platform on a bird is ridiculous. it wouldnt even be able to fly with it.

This is a video game and the focus should be on what is fun not on what is realistic. Transporting dinos across the map is boring.

If we were to focus on realism then all servers would be hardcore and punching trees would break your hands and wrists. The game mode that is most realistic would be a no-tame hardcore server, but then again we would still be in some alien ant farm...

16 hours ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

How can you revert the speed nerfs though? I'm still gutted that my pteras were nerfed so long back...

By allowing people to tame higher level dinos so they start out initially with better stats so we have more points to train in to speed/damage, and giving them more dino levels to train in period. One of our servers has wild dinos at 380 currently. I'm considering raising that to 500 - 700 right now (no mods) so people can tame better fliers. And already have our servers set so people can train in +100 levels after taming instead of whatever vanilla is.. +60 I think.

Also.. we run our own private servers. Which means we'll never wipe, and even when the game releases, nothing will force us to wipe anything. Even if the devs wipe official servers.. I physically run my own server on my own server machine in the other room here and no one can force us to wipe anything. Even if they did I have backups, I'll just restore em and we'll keep going.

4 hours ago, Zederia said:

poor PvE baby, try on PvP where every point can mean death. remember the first nerf. a LOT of dinos were dieing left and right over hp

Awwww I love kids who think playing PVP makes them better in some way, keep to your own little sphere please I care as little for your PVP as you do for my PVE.

21 minutes ago, monomania said:

Awwww I love kids who think playing PVP makes them better in some way, keep to your own little sphere please I care as little for your PVP as you do for my PVE.

if they wouldn't let PvP restat, what makes you think PvE is gonna get it? (since my comment was obviously lost on someone unable to think)

Guest BubbaCrawfish
38 minutes ago, kithylin said:

By allowing people to tame higher level dinos so they start out initially with better stats so we have more points to train in to speed/damage, and giving them more dino levels to train in period. One of our servers has wild dinos at 380 currently. I'm considering raising that to 500 - 700 right now (no mods) so people can tame better fliers. And already have our servers set so people can train in +100 levels after taming instead of whatever vanilla is.. +60 I think.

That doesn't actually make the speed fixed for a certain dino, that just makes a mangled mess of every stat for every dino. After all, you'd end up with argies being able to keep speed up with a ptera with that config.

Probably, you'd end up with argies, being FASTER than pteras...

1 minute ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

That doesn't actually make the speed fixed for a certain dino, that just makes a mangled mess of every stat for every dino. After all, you'd end up with argies being able to keep speed up with a ptera with that config.

Probably, you'd end up with argies, being FASTER than pteras...

It works for us, people like it. It's about giving people options that were taken away from us. Seems like the devs want everything awesome about this game to end up being some watered down wussy version of what things are now. I'll do what ever I can to make sure that doesn't happen for people on my servers.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 minute ago, kithylin said:

It works for us, people like it. It's about giving people options that were taken away from us. Seems like the devs want everything awesome about this game to end up being some watered down wussy version of what things are now. I'll do what ever I can to make sure that doesn't happen for people on my servers.

You're not fixing anything by raising the stats of the base levels... All you are doing is compounding the stats...

The stats of the pteras speed got nerfed, so by doing what you are doing, sure, you raise the base speed of a higher than normal level dino, but you're not actually changing the fact that that ptera is still slow in all its subsequent levels.

21 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

You're not fixing anything by raising the stats of the base levels... All you are doing is compounding the stats...

The stats of the pteras speed got nerfed, so by doing what you are doing, sure, you raise the base speed of a higher than normal level dino, but you're not actually changing the fact that that ptera is still slow in all its subsequent levels.

Actually all I've done is reverted the stupid "Dino Nerf" that they did a few months back (That no one wanted and everyone screamed about), and given folks higher level dinos to tame, and more training levels. Otherwise I haven't actually changed anything stats wise.

Like I said, everyone that plays on our servers, loves it here. If that's not your sort of thing then stop griping and go do whatever you enjoy.

This is the joy of private servers, we can configure it how ever we like. 

I'm not exactly sure how yet but some how, some way I'll find a way to un-do what ever "nerf" they do to fliers this time on my servers. They don't need nerfing anymore. Poor pteranodons are already gimped to weakness from previous nerfs already.

They need to nerf the end game poop.  This game is broken for anyone who is not spend 3 years building.  Explosives do way to much to structures.

Raiding should be Dino based attacks and should take a lot even for stone bases.  The Health of the live servers is really bad since they allowed you to move anything from server to server.

1 minute ago, XtulkusX said:

They need to nerf the end game poop.  This game is broken for anyone who is not spend 3 years building.  Explosives do way to much to structures.

Raiding should be Dino based attacks and should take a lot even for stone bases.  The Health of the live servers is really bad since they allowed you to move anything from server to server.

No, what they actually need to do is separate patch arc's for pve and pvp servers. Because we're frankly pissed off at all these changes made to "Balance PVP" is ruining the experience for us PVE players.

If you nerf the ptera, or the quetz including getting rid of the platform,  You have to nerf the wyverns in the same way, Ptera is weak compared to Wyvern . you can sometimes get one hit by a Wyvern , but you are maneuverable enough to "out fly" them and sometimes pick them , So right now it is a skilled player match balanced by apposing weaknesses and strengths. For the Quetz ,The auto turrets nerf on the platforms made sense, but you still have a man'd  turret option that you can not protect without blocking its ability to shoot, So essentially a wyvern can kill the gunner, and you are left with a quetz driver and a quetz that can not do a ton of damage and is a target.  until another gunner comes aboard, when the gunner does, the Wyvern can still fly away and do swooping passes. There is a fine balance there. Auto turrets where not, You also do have a decent sway with the platform saddles to help increase difficulty for platform snipers.

So then comes the point if you nerf the wyverns, why would people spend that much time raising them. It is ridiculous as is . I do like that Wyverns do not have saddles, That would be OP. They could 1 man raid bases with turrets with ease soaking bullets and flaming/poison/electrifying everything.

Also are Pteras that OP when fighting a beast Rex 15-20k health and 500-700damage  with ascendant or Master craft saddles? What else evens the field on those. especially when you have rexes soaking turret ammo rather easily. Plus if you have a ridiculous Ptera from 5 Generations of breeding, you should be rewarded, You know how many 150 Pteras I put down to get decent stats to breed higher levels with current RNG rates, ( I do know 135+ produce some nice 1 sided stats too) 

Now to the nerf, Ptera's do have low carry weight but you still can pump it up by a ton and be fine picking a ton of people, and if you do not know you can use wipes to dismount Ptera pickers and bolas, you can even use grappling hooks. either way I would say nerf the speed no mater the weight when picking, Even if you make it across the board of anything they pick up. reduce it by 1/2 or more and make the stam drain high. That would balance it,

This way with a 1/2 speed or even more if you want when picking someone and make it where you can not sprint with Ptera when picking. Either way when you pick the Rex rider or who ever. it will keep you closer to the ground for longer, and increases the reaction time of the person being picked, Instead on now when being picked by a Ptera your screen turns into a rubber banding shaky mess, So that will reduce the picking cause if you pick close to the ground and get knocked off close to that rex, you are dead. Or a t least it creates more of a skilled player match up.

If you talk about the fast travel across the map. Who cares, There are already times I do not want to jump on ark and do a resource runs for the amount of travel time it takes. It will promote a bigger use of land dino's but what it will do more is promote land locking of resource spawns by alpha tribes, We already have the Volcano locked down by a large tribe. If you can not use a quetz, tricks or not which is still rather slow. No one else will even stand a chance. Even with what the Ptera's are now. you still have to have some skill to use them properly. and they still die in an instant when you come into a base with 10-20 turrets no matter what saddle you have,

I do like the idea of some aggressive fliers in the game, When I go to scorched and fly around and I see a wild wyvern, That for sure screws up my flight path and sometime my day when I get lit on fire or raked with electric .That sucks but is at least challenging lol .

I even do not see a problem with Petras being aggressive. Full aggressive like Argies or like Dimporphidons , aggressive when hit, That will raise the challenge, That I would find fun and rewarding.

It was a long post/rant, sorry if I jumped around a lot. That is just how my mind works. I would love to hear opposing views,

18 hours ago, Carcajou said:

well that just too bad son. It was bound to happen, everything meta as high chance of getting nerf unlike something that is under performing. Like a raptor, i really dont see raptor getting nerf any time soon . But ptera are way too easy to breed and tame for what they do.

Should have breed Raptor since there 99 % chance that they wont be nerf. 

lool thats a good point, from now on im breeding raptors and sheep 

18 hours ago, skeeta said:

agreed, but i doubt it will be the platform imo it will be a speed/stam reduction :( maybe even a higher dmg multiplier 

On 3/28/2017 at 4:41 PM, Morloa said:

It's not about balancing something based off internet speed or for PVP, The Flier nerf as I've stated earlier is likely to be a Stamina nerf as wildcard have expressed on Reddit that they don't feel as if fliers in there current state are healthy for the game seeing as how it's only 35 that you gain access to one and suddenly you've opened up the entire map never having to fear anything on the ground again. The Nerf is likely targeted to Curb Stamina & or Speed in hopes that you have to give your mount a break every once and a while instead of flying your pteranadon 5 laps of the map on one stam bar.

They may do way more than this regardless of what it is, it's to make the Fliers of the game more what they envisioned there roles to be before level caps and scaling got away from them. I mean god forbid a PVE player has to break out there terror birds or something right?

I still disagree. Terror birds are worse that ptero. They can barely carry anything, and their attack is crap. And you can't fly the whole of the island on one stamina bar, that has never been possible. I always have to land to rest, I just pick places that ground dinos can't reach, like the tops of rocks.

And players that have no fast way to traverse the island may as well forgo indulging in chasing Raptor Claus gifts, they will despawn long before a ground dino could ever reach them in time, because the come down at night when traveling by ground is practically a death sentence, and you can't track the gifts from the ground unless right on top of them.

And if players believe that any dinos can allow a player to avoid content, then that holds true for all players and all dinos regardless of level of the player. If they nerf pteros, they have to nerf all flying mounts, including wyverns.

And I still think this nerf is primarily to deal with pvp issues (and alpha tribe complaints about being threatened by low level tribes). Can't have upstarts shaking the tree.

Archived