Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

12 minutes ago, monomania said:

Omg they in live their own little outdated gaming bubble it sounds like, that sounds about as fun doing again as watching a loop of never ending days of our lives reruns.

I wish they could prioritize more important stuff like making sure new tribe members cant kill every single dino while your logged off, one of the many reasons in PVE almost nobody recruits members and end up with 500 dinos 1 guy.

They do indeed sound like they live in their own Bubble. Just given their track record on many things, in general, it's abundantly apparent that they don't playtest, let alone actually play their own game any large or meaningful amount. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, because you have tester and player feedback on the issues at hand. The problem is, that, they don't seem to value that feedback either, instead pursuing and pigeon holing the game into their personal views of "Fun" while actively working to shunt playstyles and views that disagree with theirs. 

Flyer nerf was certainly inevitable, just, for the prior mentioned reasons, I doubt they can do so in capable manner.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, iAmE said:

They do indeed sound like they live in their own Bubble. Just given their track record on many things, in general, it's abundantly apparent that they don't playtest, let alone actually play their own game any large or meaningful amount. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, because you have tester and player feedback on the issues at hand. The problem is, that, they don't seem to value that feedback either, instead pursuing and pigeon holing the game into their personal views of "Fun" while actively working to shunt playstyles and views that disagree with theirs. 

Flyer nerf was certainly inevitable, just, for the prior mentioned reasons, I doubt they can do so in capable manner.

Completely agree, they have also clearly demonstrated an inability for forward thinking as well on several occasions most funny of which I found the "pillar nerf" reducing timers on single pillars with the obvious next result that somehow they missed, people just added another pillar...

If they do not heed the playerbase they should just get on with making the game the way they want it and pray people want to play it.

Trivialization is such a strong word for "not wanting to have to fight god damn everything". There are some days where I don't want to put up with BS. While that's not part of survival, the fact that the Lymantria is one of the most balanced (and in some manners, terrible) flyer in the game makes me feel weird.

It can trivialize the base game completely, but the reason its under used is because it's very weak, unlocked at a later level, and its slow. But in exchange it can fly over pretty much everything.

On 3/28/2017 at 6:22 AM, BobRoss said:

and it should be, maybe land dinos will see the light of day again then 

I don't think they should get rid of platforms, but maybe they could add something to quetzals that gives them a similar behavior to their wild counterparts?  Example: If a quetzal takes more then 20% dmg, the driver loses control while the quetz flees for 30 seconds.  Something along these lines for the quetz AND the pteras would help a lot IMHO.  We live on an iceberg...so the idea of losing our quetz platforms is horrifying.  Have you ever tried to transport a Rex on a boat?  We had 20 rexes spread between 3 quetzals on the trip to broodmother @ blueob yesterday... If we'd had to swim/boat them to the land and then climb blueob it would have taken HOURS instead of the already ridiculous 30 minutes it took to get up there.  Removing the ability to transport land dinos across certain barriers doesn't contribut to survival... it just contributes to the tedious time-wastey aspects of the game.  I thing that it also nerfs land dinos for people that live in certain areas too.  Without platforms noone on the icebergs, or on an island, or in a treehouse would have much of a reason for owning rexes.  We already can't have gigas or paracers because of our location...

Another idea is this: make pteras constantly drain stam until you dismount.  If you're worried about increasing the "survival" aspects of the game then having to dismount in the swamp and wait on stam regen would definately lead to a decrease in survive-ability....

8 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

better be true.

Is the Pelagornis OP?

Pelagornis...

They land on water instead of kicking you into a shark pool and flying away like a Ptera

They can be as fast as Pteras

They can fight as good as Pteras but cannot avoid being hit

They can collect valuable goods (organic polymer)

They harvest better on kill than a Ptera

So I wouldn't say they are OP, but since I tamed one of those, I stopped using my pteras.

7 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

Pelagornis...

They land on water instead of kicking you into a shark pool and flying away like a Ptera

They can be as fast as Pteras

They can fight as good as Pteras but cannot avoid being hit

They can collect valuable goods (organic polymer)

They harvest better on kill than a Ptera

So I wouldn't say they are OP, but since I tamed one of those, I stopped using my pteras.

They also dish out more damage to underwater creatures which is useful when you're swan boating around

• Administrator

It's safe to say that everyone is probably going to have a different opinion on the direction to take both flyer based and land based creatures in the game. In terms of the direction we're planning taking now, we'll be tackling flying creatures across the board in most parts. You can expect to see changes to speed, stamina, weight and health (in some cases).

Obviously, this is subject to change before the patch goes live (based on in-house feedback) as well as once the patch has gone live (based on the feedback we receive from the player base as a whole). These won't render them completely useless, I imagine most would still use them as their go to creatures for travelling and transportation - but it will certainly bring them more in line. 

Consider this a first pass of it, it's certainly possible that what we change could be reverted and we decide to take another avenue, or we look towards giving our land-based creatures a big boost. We're pretty close to wrapping up content for the base game which means we can focus a lot on polishing, be it the balance of the game, resolving bugs, improving performance and during that stretch, you'll see more changes directed at the balance of the game - I believe TRH's purpose is to work with our gameplay guys to make sure creatures have roles in the game and you're not just using 1 creature for everything.

The changes we're making can be undone using mods, or in some cases even altering the stats via ini - but of course our Official Servers will be affected by this change. We do understand that not everyone wants to play the game the way it has been designed by the development team, and that is completely acceptable. This is why we provide the tools for you guys to make your own alterations that you would find enjoyable.

I'm grateful that we're able to read a lot of thoughts and opinions on the gameplay changes we make on all our social channels, please remember to respect others opinion, even if you disagree ;) - everyone should feel comfortable sharing what they think is the best way to go :)

2 minutes ago, Jat said:

In terms of the direction we're planning taking now, we'll be tackling flying creatures across the board in most parts. You can expect to see changes to speed, stamina, weight and health (in some cases).

Consider this a first pass of it, it's certainly possible that what we change could be reverted and we decide to take another avenue, or we look towards giving our land-based creatures a big boost.

The only real land creature with any big boost is a wolf, and it works well. I enjoy using them immensely. What I will NOT enjoy is if my ptera becomes near pointless for any real carry or travel. I made a carry ptera (not that it carries a LOT, but it does enough for what I need at the moment) and the following things would make it worthless:

The hp drops even more (it only has 714 now, at 167)

the weight drops almost at all (332 for it, 140 for me)

the stamina drops below 1000 (at 1365 right now)

If the stamina drops faster it will be a REAL issue for most people a little more early on. Really the possibilities should be considered against leveling. you should get more benefit for getting something bigger.

And this could have been said right in the patch notes not as "flier nerf" but "re-balancing flier utility"

The ptera needs to be overhauled. I think it fits its casting as a smalll, fast scout tame, but it should not double as a fighter. Health and melee could be halved (no more ptera meat-runs). Picking could be eliminated or changed to a simple dismount effect. Since a ptera is an early game flier, it should not be making appearances in alpha/beta raids. Just as the stegos, trikes, and carnos don't keep up with the demands of late-game battle. 

1 minute ago, Melopoeia said:

Health and melee could be halved (no more ptera meat-runs)

so lower a 700 hp bird to 350? to die in literally 1 hit from about anything? no hp should got up a littler, but melee going down, I could agree with. I don't use it for fighting anything too much. I agree the less melee should be a thing

1 minute ago, JoeBob1024 said:

but I wouldn't mind if it took say 30-40% off your stam instead of a fixed amount...

so.. 40% of what, exactly? current sta? max sta?  I'm not the mechanics guy, but maybe c spin should do a lower percentage vs speed? do we have any real numbers on the current version to crunch against?

I can join a tribe at level one, have all the great gear, and jump on a bird, and didn't need to do anything.

That right there is wrong. If more players had to earn that luxury, and tame that bird, and unlock that saddle, and be a certain level to fly that bird, it would be fair.

New player spawns in, begs for stuff, gets it, makes bolas, 2-3 tranq arrows, and some meat, and gets a Ptera. Begs for someone to make him the saddle, and off he goes....I see this on a regular bases.

Fix that.

On 3/28/2017 at 11:29 AM, szabiferi said:

I just hope the devs learned from the BP fiasco, and wont have the same hasty, last minute brute force changes/clamping what they did there. 

But the fact this line had been added sneakily almost at the end of the patch development cycle indicates me, it wont be a well thought carefully designed and balanced change.... :(

More info would be really good, because I wouldn't spend more time on my quetz/ptera breeding projects if they clamp them to the oblivion soon...

agreed breeding quetzs and pteras for months only to see them wrecked would be a nightmare. Im hoping they are just clamping down on suicide flyers 

33 minutes ago, Myst said:

I can join a tribe at level one, have all the great gear, and jump on a bird, and didn't need to do anything.

That right there is wrong. If more players had to earn that luxury, and tame that bird, and unlock that saddle, and be a certain level to fly that bird, it would be fair.

New player spawns in, begs for stuff, gets it, makes bolas, 2-3 tranq arrows, and some meat, and gets a Ptera. Begs for someone to make him the saddle, and off he goes....I see this on a regular bases.

Fix that.

Ugg... WoW flashbacks with their onerous mount process.  No thanks.

Archived