Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

51 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

you know there was a big pinned topic requesting testers to give their opinion on the matter right? so not really sneaky

Can you please direct me to that topic? Im really interested to see how WC involves the playerbase into decision making... 

Otherwise, as I wrote, its sneaky in terms of WHEN they added to the patchnotes... but maybe the word sneaky is not correct here, hasty could be better... if they planned it long time ago as you suggest, I wonder why it got in the notes 3 days before the patch without any forther details....not a single hint about the how...

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sal said:

they are used right now to tank bullets a lot ...

allowing turrets on them would be a huge power shift torwards attackers ...

In my opinion we kind of need some more power to Attackers.

Right now, if a player properly sets up their base, there is no raiding it. Up to 10 layer thick walls, using hatch frames that house up to 20 turrets on them with almost 360 degree radius. Then you have Plant Specie X spam which can cause the game to lag so badly that it runs at ~2 frames. Rocket Launchers got nerfed so hard that they are no longer used in attacks/pvp, if you use one you're basically just wasting resources.

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

In my opinion we kind of need some more power to Attackers.

Right now, if a player properly sets up their base, there is no raiding it. Up to 10 layer thick walls, using hatch frames that house up to 20 turrets on them with almost 360 degree radius. Then you have Plant Specie X spam which can cause the game to lag so badly that it runs at ~2 frames. Rocket Launchers got nerfed so hard that they are no longer used in attacks/pvp, if you use one you're basically just wasting resources.

quite the contrary, currently it is impossible to set anything up that cannot be raided easily because

1) suicide c4 wyverns cannot be countered

2) suicide cluster bombing cannot be countered

no matter what kind of defenses you setup this will always work to destroy them ...

23 minutes ago, Wolfey50 said:

im gonna be pissed if they have a ridiculous nerf like they did to rocket lanchers. if they do rip to all breeded terrys/argys/taps been breeding now stop getting beast flyers only for a nerf. fml

You do realize that the best bred bird will still be the best bred bird after a nerf because all the birds will be affected...?

19 minutes ago, Mendoza said:

You do realize that the best bred bird will still be the best bred bird after a nerf because all the birds will be affected...?

What I understand is that if they screw up birds so that it takes two days instead of two hours to fly a Q bird from volcano to base with metal (because they will screw up speed and weight) there will be plenty of alphas that will build on volcano instead of sharing it. 

21 minutes ago, Mendoza said:

Begone with your logic! The Interwebs is not the place for that. 

On a serious note, the devs have collated a lot of information on how to go about tackling the rebalancing of flyers from the playerbase and testers. There's been a lot of good ideas put into the pot and a lot of recurring themes, so we'll see what's what. I'm sure not everything will be met with universal approval, but whatever does get changed will be done with the best interests of the game.

5 hours ago, sal said:

I have not seen any further information but if i would guess it should be

* A huge nerf to the movement speed you get via levels, at least 50% reduction

* Pteras can no longer grab

* Remove Quetz Platform saddle

* A debuff to the bird when you carry a creature (slower movement, more stamina drain)

* A rework of the flight model, right now you fly like a X-Fighter in space, aerodynamics are completly ignored =)

but we will see =)

Good lord?! I can understand the love for land animals, but no platform quetz saddle...? And.. pteras def need to be able to grab. Cap their max movespeed to ~200%, and make them fly slower when carrying stuff, but don't strip it away. That's short--sighted.

3 hours ago, rororoxor said:

Why should they disable grabbing? Pteras will be useless then.

Although I do not agree they will be useless, I would say that removing grabbing would be a hugely short-sighted and poor decision. I agree.

Just now, Xerxes013 said:

Good lord?! I can understand the love for land animals, but no platform quetz saddle...? And.. pteras def need to be able to grab. Cap their max movespeed to ~200%, and make them fly slower when carrying stuff, but don't strip it away. That's short--sighted.

Although I do not agree they will be useless, I would say that removing grabbing would be a hugely short-sighted and poor decision. I agree.

it needs to go away, thats not what the bird was intented to do. It should be a low level scout and an entry level bird. Right now an end-game bird only rivaled by the quetz and the quetz can only rival it because of the platform saddle ...

6 minutes ago, sal said:

it needs to go away, thats not what the bird was intented to do. It should be a low level scout and an entry level bird. Right now an end-game bird only rivaled by the quetz and the quetz can only rival it because of the platform saddle ...

Hear me out: What I am saying is that the Ptera nerfs won't stop the alphas or end-game. If you have ever watched any kind of Esports, you'll notice that whenever new patches release that the whole game changes up the new 'meta'. ARK is no different. Every new discovery, every new glitch, changes the game. If you removed grabby feet or took off quetz saddles, then the "YES! Land animals!" mindset would begin to take over. The same game would apply: Gigas> everything, metal farming would still happen, just using weight questz to hold anky and having to use more quetz-anky combos to run metal, Alphas will still be alphas, resources will be more sparce, and end game PvP will be the same, just... slower. Edit: And, anyone who has mega bases at the moment, will only be HARDER to wipe. Good luck with that.

I think that the Pteradons need a speed nerf and possibly a barrel roll nerf. From an early game, if you get one of these you are pretty much set. You can fly to any quiet location, get a base up and running and use the Ptera to get food, fly resources back etc.

What would be good is a heat/cold affect i.e. Pteras are poor in cold areas whereas Argies are good and Argies struggel with the heat and Pteras would be better. This would make some areas less accessible until you managed to evolve further up the dino chain and provide a bit of longevity to the game.

32 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

What I understand is that if they screw up birds so that it takes two days instead of two hours to fly a Q bird from volcano to base with metal (because they will screw up speed and weight) there will be plenty of alphas that will build on volcano instead of sharing it. 

If you are relying on volcano for metal then you really don't know the resource layout for the island.. too easy to get hit by ptera trolls there anyways.. probably another reason for the flying nerf..

24 minutes ago, Xerxes013 said:

Hear me out: What I am saying is that the Ptera nerfs won't stop the alphas or end-game. If you have ever watched any kind of Esports, you'll notice that whenever new patches release that the whole game changes up the new 'meta'. ARK is no different. Every new discovery, every new glitch, changes the game. If you removed grabby feet or took off quetz saddles, then the "YES! Land animals!" mindset would begin to take over. The same game would apply: Gigas> everything, metal farming would still happen, just using weight questz to hold anky and having to use more quetz-anky combos to run metal, Alphas will still be alphas, resources will be more sparce, and end game PvP will be the same, just... slower. Edit: And, anyone who has mega bases at the moment, will only be HARDER to wipe. Good luck with that.

It isn't about stopping alphas or the such, it's about balancing broken mechanics/design... the ptera is too good at too many things while being one of the cheapest tames kibble or otherwise..

17 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

It isn't about stopping alphas or the such, it's about balancing broken mechanics/design... the ptera is too good at too many things while being one of the cheapest tames kibble or otherwise..

You got me there. I do believe the accessibility of pteras is pretty ludicrous considering their capabilities (I mean.. dodo kibble?)
The sad truth is that no matter what you change or which bird you nerf, its going to change the game dramatically. People are gonna b*tch about it, and.... we already don't have the most mature of communities.

I agree that some bird nerf should happen.

I just started playing PVE on an official server(was playing solo before). First thing I did was tame some dodos and make kibble. The following day I had tamed a low level ptera. With the low level ptera I found a 150 ptera on my third day and proceeded to do a perfect tame. Now come day 4 I have a ptera that can kill alpha rex, and farm meat like it's nothing.

Now it's almost like I don't see the need to tame big predators now, my ptera does the job instead.

Ptera, IMO, should be used to farm light mats that are harder to find. Like going in and out of the snow biome quick to grab pearls or oil, Not run arround the island killing alphas.

5 hours ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

It would have to be balanced by limiting the number of auto firing stations... but would make bronto and paracer more viable and help nudge people to use them more than quetz for combat. 

Paracer is already an awesome bullet soaker, being that it has a 100 armor saddle and I think it uses tasty cakes still. Check out the Official Server 24 wipe video, its mostly brontos and paracers that you see in that fight. 

5 hours ago, BobRoss said:

you know there was a big pinned topic requesting testers to give their opinion on the matter right? so not really sneaky

how in the world is a 55K health quetz OK. they flee when attacked in the wild, they shouldnt be war birds at all. even their dossier states they are slow haulers, but their MS is more than an argy...

I want them to:

get rid of quetz platform saddle completely its stupid.

slow MS HARD when carrying anything and make it so argy can carry small creatures up to size of raptors and quetz up to size of anky, nothing bigger like stegos and such. ptera and pela shouldnt carry anything at all.

drastically nerf the MS on all of the fliers and make it a stat you cant level.

IMO not 1 flier should even be used for assault with the exception of the argy for scouting or picking off attacks, but they should all die super fast to bulletfire.

You're forgetting a huge part. Wyverns. 

55 minutes ago, Lancelot said:

I agree that some bird nerf should happen.

I just started playing PVE on an official server(was playing solo before). First thing I did was tame some dodos and make kibble. The following day I had tamed a low level ptera. With the low level ptera I found a 150 ptera on my third day and proceeded to do a perfect tame. Now come day 4 I have a ptera that can kill alpha rex, and farm meat like it's nothing.

Now it's almost like I don't see the need to tame big predators now, my ptera does the job instead.

Ptera, IMO, should be used to farm light mats that are harder to find. Like going in and out of the snow biome quick to grab pearls or oil, Not run arround the island killing alphas.

How the fk can your ptera kill an alpha rex I have lost lvl 150+ rock elementals to alpha rex I doubt a simple ptera can kill it no matter what level unless you spend nearly 15 minutes barrel rolling. BTW I own 2 150 ptera for eggs and I just had one of their babies die to a lvl 80 thyla.

3 minutes ago, Michaud said:

How the fk can your ptera kill an alpha rex I have lost lvl 150+ rock elementals to alpha rex I doubt a simple ptera can kill it no matter what level unless you spend nearly 15 minutes barrel rolling. BTW I own 2 150 ptera for eggs and I just had one of their babies die to a lvl 80 thyla.

What??? How did you lose it, lmao.
A level 50 ptera can kill an alpha rex if you have the time for it... Case and point: Unless you get stuck on something, a rex cannot bite a ptera(pump Melee & movespeed)

5 minutes ago, Michaud said:

Just barrel roll around the rex. When stam runs low, just go wait it out on a cliff. It wasn't even hard.

1 minute ago, Xerxes013 said:

What??? How did you lose it, lmao.
A level 50 ptera can kill an alpha rex if you have the time for it... Case and point: Unless you get stuck on something, a rex cannot bite a ptera(pump Melee & movespeed)

Based on leveling a perfect 50 ptera depending on the alpha levels which I've seen up to 120 would be like fighting a giga your gonna be at it for a long time and constantly landing for stamina. 

6 minutes ago, Michaud said:

Stats before levels... high level doesn't necessarily equate to good combat stats.. always tame for stats unless you just need a "utility" tame..

Just now, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Stats before levels... high level doesn't necessarily equate to good combat stats.. always tame for stats unless you just need a "utility" tame..

I know that's what I do xD I breed rex, giga, tape, thyla, bary, and quetz for specific stats. My ptera babies are born with 1800 hp 1700-2000 stam and about 324% melee.

Archived