ARK = No New Players Aloud

LilBirdy

Pretty much a huge issue on xbox. Iv been taking a break from ark for a while just because of the usual pvp stuff so ive decided to get into pve thought this would be less stressful and i would have a lot more fun. To my suprise pve is not very friendly to new players. There are literally no pve xbox servers to build on. I have not looked on scortched earth but so far ive looked at over half the servers for the island and the center and all of them are pillared off. People for the sole reason of being d@$&s have placed pillars every 50 or so feet around the coastline of every server to prevent new people from building I have asked multiple people to donate me some space or to trade land to me for mats but nobody wants new players on there server half the tribes that have pillars dont even play they just get on once a week to make it so noone can demolish. Im not saying you should wipe the servers clean but you should have admins go on each server to atleast clear pillars. If anyone knows of an island or center pve server i can build on please let me know. my gamertag is Lil Birdy OG just hmu. I would also like to add that because of the ability to transfer building materials across servers no new people can really get into pve or pvp. when new maps and new servers get released its going to be completely pillared off by the end of day one. and as for pvp alpha tribes will simply prefab entire bases and then go into the new map place down a base and claim the server as there own. I believe that if i pay for this game and the dlc i should be able to play it with out having to ask an alpha tribe for permission to build on their server or ask some guy if he can remove pillars so i can play on there pve server. oficial servers should be able to be enjoyed by everyone not just the people who have been playing for longer.  I kinda understand this in pvp after all the whole point of pvp is to battle other tribes and take over the server but i feel like alphas shouldnt be able to bring prefabed bases over to a new server and take it over on day one. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game needs private servers ASAP. They've been saying for ages that Xbox Play Anywhere is on the way and a lot of us are hoping that will mean we can host servers from a PC.

We should have held off buying until they actually released the game. Now they have no incentive to actually finish anything. They can just keep adding buggy new features to keep the current players hooked until they release more pre-release DLC.

The problem is noobs come onto the server and pack themselves in like sardine cans. If we don't pillar you kill all the spawns and there is literally no dinos/areas left. there is many places to build on every server. I don't get this whole "its pillared to hell" mentality because I have joined 4 different serves and there is always placed to buld. Its never a "Prime location" or a "beach location" but there is definitely places to build.

Just accept the fact that you are way late and all the prime places are taken. Go build in the forest or the swamp because that's all that Is left. You will not get a metal spawn or ruins at this point.

I did pve for a while not long ago.  I spent a week living on rafts and making friends via general chat.  Rafts are fine to use in early stages.  You can have one raft as a medium dino pen and another as your workshop.  Eventually I found a small plot of land and as I established myself people were willing to come and let me expand.

Now back when I first started on xbox over a year ago the pve servers were fine and pretty clear.  Within a month there were barely any metal spawns, the volcano had homes all over it, the beach was devoid of dinos and most of the forests were just gone.  Nowadays on PvE you get some noobs who come on for a day and plop down a few stone foundations and then never log in again.  This leaves everyone stuck with that eye sore for a couple weeks.

There has to be a better way but I can't think of one.

3 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

This is called singleplayer.

xbox and PS4 users should have the ability to host their own servers and enforce their own rules on them. ive had more fun on unofficials with good admins than ive had on officials where there are basically no rules. a well policed unofficial is the best way for me to have fun

and some people want to still have a community to play with, alone is alone after all.

12 hours ago, DaGoodNamesWereTaken said:

The problem is noobs come onto the server and pack themselves in like sardine cans. If we don't pillar you kill all the spawns and there is literally no dinos/areas left. there is many places to build on every server. I don't get this whole "its pillared to hell" mentality because I have joined 4 different serves and there is always placed to buld. Its never a "Prime location" or a "beach location" but there is definitely places to build.

Just accept the fact that you are way late and all the prime places are taken. Go build in the forest or the swamp because that's all that Is left. You will not get a metal spawn or ruins at this point.

No.

No one should 'accept' a screwed up mentality like that..

I've done an experiment, where i've joined 100 official servers for PVE.

On all of them, you had walled up spawn zones where you get trapped, with no way out. On others, you can't even get any foundations down because 'Cannot place blabla next to enemy structures' etc.

Then there's the resource hogging where people wall in huge areas to keep resources for themselves.

I host my own server, with my own rules, and i've only had to set an example ONCE, since i started it up.

The mentality of those who play on unofficials, is vastly different from those who play on officials. There's a reason why there are more unofficial servers than official ones..

Unfortunately my server is only open to players from the EU or UK, as US players would make it far too laggy.

Like it's already been mentioned, the whole "the entire map is pillared off on every server!" argument is an over-exaggeration. Every spot you want is pillared off. All the prime locations are snatched up. At this point, you're going to have to build in a spot you're unfamiliar or uncomfortable with.

I forgot what Center server it was, but when my tribe and I joined, all the starter spots were taken. All the islands were used. We ended up having to build on one of the plateau's at the green obelisk and pretty much keep small. Same with an Island server we joined previously; we had to build in a random spot not too far from the green obelisk since it was an unattractive area, far from the ocean and there weren't any players anywhere around.

You're not going to be able to spawn in and drop a thatch hut where you stand. Those days are over. You're going to have to trek through the woods, or swamp, or learn how to build on the side of mountains/hills with pillars. You're not going to get that amazing spot; you're going to get the spot no one else wants, but there's still plenty of room.

2 hours ago, BobRoss said:

xbox and PS4 users should have the ability to host their own servers and enforce their own rules on them. ive had more fun on unofficials with good admins than ive had on officials where there are basically no rules. a well policed unofficial is the best way for me to have fun

and some people want to still have a community to play with, alone is alone after all.

They can. If they get a second console.

That's console limitation for you. Casual playing in front of your TV.

Sad truth is, if you want to get more "hardcore", you have to switch to a PC.

6 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

i know thats the truth right now, doesnt mean it cant change in the future.

i own both a console and a PC and i'd never buy ARK for my PS4, its just not the game for it :) but that doesnt mean others shouldnt be able to enjoy it the way we do.

• Volunteer Moderator

That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen you write. More hardcore what a joke. Wildcard just needs to rent private servers ea has done it.  A gamer is a gamer no matter what platform they play on. Saying one is better then the other makes you look foolish. Most people play on pc and consoles so I guess that makes them super gamers. Nope just still gamers. Trying the whole master race PC Card is what children do. I play on my pc in front of my 60 inch tv guess I'm lazy as well. 

10 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen you write. More hardcore what a joke. Wildcard just needs to rent private servers ea has done it.  A gamer is a gamer no matter what platform they play on. Saying one is better then the other makes you look foolish. Most people play on pc and consoles so I guess that makes them super gamers. Nope just still gamers. Trying the whole master race PC Card is what children do. I play on my pc in front of my 60 inch tv guess I'm lazy as well. 

I did not write more hardcore. I wrote more "hardcore". More in-depth, more professional, call if whatever you want.

I don't care about the children console war. But you cannot deny the facts that PC gaming is more polished than console gaming. And that ARK is more polished on PCs. The hardware it was made on and for in the first line.

Admin commands, modding tools, mods itself. It's all PC playground and will be right now.

The official PVE server I play on has a steady and continuous influx of new players. Its great and sucks at the same time. The map just cannot support the amount of players that keep coming in. Between the platform and dino caps and resource spawns, its just not big enough. They really need to limit officials on how many players can be on them period.

And as for the pillars: Ive said 100x: people aren't just pillaring resource areas to protect them: they are pillaring landscapes for no reason.

15 hours ago, LilBirdy said:

I believe that if i pay for this game and the dlc i should be able to play it with out having to ask an alpha tribe for permission to build on their server or ask some guy if he can remove pillars so i can play on there pve server. oficial servers should be able to be enjoyed by everyone not just the people who have been playing for longer.  I kinda understand this in pvp after all the whole point of pvp is to battle other tribes and take over the server but i feel like alphas shouldnt be able to bring prefabed bases over to a new server and take it over on day one. 

I think your missing the point of the game. There will always be an alpha on a server (even if they don't build prefabbed bases) .

Wildcard designed the game for each server to be it's own mini universe where if you down like it you can move and experience a different server / universe.

As for asking for alphas permission you don't HAVE to do anything and that includes talking to alphas. But every action has a consequence and that again is part of Wildcards design.

• Volunteer Moderator

I did not write more hardcore. I wrote more "hardcore". More in-depth, more professional, call if whatever you want.

Lol.. dude just give up I'm not going to sit here and argue with you on this subject. I could easily say a person that plays across multiple platforms is way more professional and more of a gamer then one that only plays one. Just admit to yourself your comment was silly and move on in life. I'm done with the subject. 

Just now, Captnmorgan said:

Lol.. dude just give up I'm not going to sit here and argue with you on this subject. I could easily say a person that plays across multiple platforms is way more professional and more of a gamer then one that only plays one. Just admit to yourself your comment was silly and move on in life. I'm done with the subject. 

No. You made that up.

6 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

The official PVE server I play on has a steady and continuous influx of new players. Its great and sucks at the same time. The map just cannot support the amount of players that keep coming in. Between the platform and dino caps and resource spawns, its just not big enough. They really need to limit officials on how many players can be on them period.

And as for the pillars: Ive said 100x: people aren't just pillaring resource areas to protect them: they are pillaring landscapes for no reason.

I agree with this. 

My official server lives with the same problem. Currently servers are supposed to support 50 to 70 players. At 20 players every build-able space is taken and no one wants to live in a crowded downtown high rises on ARK. Wild dino spawns start drastically dropping down. So, yes we do pillar the poop out of our neighborhood and so do the other tribes in the vicinity. 

2 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

I agree with this. 

My official server lives with the same problem. Currently servers are supposed to support 50 to 70 players. At 20 players every build-able space is taken and no one wants to live in a crowded downtown high rises on ARK. Wild dino spawns start drastically dropping down. So, yes we do pillar the poop out of our neighborhood and so do the other tribes in the vicinity. 

See that's the rub: you mention 50-70 players. Do you mean the 70 person player cap? Because that only applies to how many can be online at any given time. Not how many can be on the actual server. In theory, you can have hundreds on one server.

We have people who haven't played in months. One guy I haven't seen since last year, however, their bases all remain, empty, because other tribemates refresh them. Not use them; refresh them. When asked why: "Well they may eventually come back" or "Well we store supplies there". Its a PVE server. Your main base is in the North. What supplies are you storing by red obelisk? With no dinos there?

The new players, and I feel bad for new players coming on our server, almost immediately get pissed because every beach area is pillared to kingdom come. So they are stuck going inland more which means more troodons, raptors, carnos and other crap that isn't fun to deal with at level 1 or 5.. and then the ramshack huts will pop up in the middle of jungles, edge of swamps, right outside the redwoods, etc. But with so many pillars all over, they cant really expand so they make the first base as big as they can and then start making a second bigger one somewhere else.

This is pretty much the landscape. The rivers are lined perfectly with pillars. As you travel inland a bit from the rivers: Pillars. The beaches/starting areas? Pillars. All the 'vital' spots such as the volcanco, obelisks, etc are pillared. Swamp? pillared. redwoods: probably halfway pillared.

I am of two minds with this: The more and more and more players that join: the more and more you're going to want to ensure resources don't get built on. So that means pillars. But on the same hand, Ive had it happen more then once that I cannot even  put down a torch at a time because of pillars..in the middle of nowhere in the woods. Its ridiculous. Its not about building up someone's ass or protecting at that point. Its an OCD issue or something.

Make official servers hold 30 people tops. Period. Regardless if they are online/offline, once 30 people are set on that server its done. It just cannot support the people they keep bringing in..

002E4E7DEA84DD5EE4704FFABDA722821B05D900

Speaking for myself, I've always viewed pillars used in this way as an exploit people use to turn a public PVE server into a private one.  Whatever the original intention, for all intents and purposes that is what the end result is.

We all know that this was NOT the intended use for pillars and their related mechanics.  Eventually the Dev team will come up with a solution to the issue they feel works well, and the ability to pillar off everything will go away.

Perhaps it will be something as simple as very short decay timers for pillars, or perhaps reworking the mechanics affecting how close resources will respawn next to structures... but I have serious doubts that the current "pillar the map mentality" on official PVE servers will be how things are left.

2 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

1: yes, we have to get a second console, just like you'd need a second PC unless you rent a server.

2: Limitation or not, they are developing the game for both the PC and consoles. Saying that one is better than the other is moot.

The difference between a PC gamer and a console gamer: 1 gets a sore ass, the other lays down on the couch to relax and have fun playing games. There's nothing 'hardcore' about being a PC gamer over being a console gamer. It's about personal preferences, nothing more.

2 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

I don't care about the children console war. But you cannot deny the facts that PC gaming is more polished than console gaming. And that ARK is more polished on PCs. The hardware it was made on and for in the first line.

You need to look up the definition of 'hardcore', before you use it.

While the PC version is more polished, that boils down to the fact that they don't have to pay Valve to release patches for the game or hotfixes. They don't have to send Valve their patches to be run through a QA test lasting for several days, before they get a green light to release the patches.

Console limitations? There is no console limitations. Look at Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE.. All the mods that were only available on the PC are now available on the Xbox One. PS4 and Sony have put restrictions in place as they're greedy, but other than that, there are no limitations as the ones you 'think' there are.

Servers? No. EA had servers for BF3-BF4 that players could rent for their consoles.

When it comes to mods, it is all down to the developer and what kind of tools they have. Bethesda uses a link between their mod website and the PS4/Xbox One accounts, meaning when you sign into your PS4 or Xbox One, start up their games, you get access to their mod website in the form of an integrated mod app.

This could also be done with ARK.

4 hours ago, ExcessEvil said:

No.

No one should 'accept' a screwed up mentality like that..

I've done an experiment, where i've joined 100 official servers for PVE.

On all of them, you had walled up spawn zones where you get trapped, with no way out. On others, you can't even get any foundations down because 'Cannot place blabla next to enemy structures' etc.

Then there's the resource hogging where people wall in huge areas to keep resources for themselves.

I host my own server, with my own rules, and i've only had to set an example ONCE, since i started it up.

The mentality of those who play on unofficials, is vastly different from those who play on officials. There's a reason why there are more unofficial servers than official ones..

Unfortunately my server is only open to players from the EU or UK, as US players would make it far too laggy.

Thats because unofficials usually attract people who want to play with others and have a good time, whereas officials attract people who want to be pretend dictators.

Archived