Upcoming Patch v256 Discussion Thread

Jatheish

I haven't checked in quite a while but are frogs and beavers still unable to attack under water cause I feel like that is an unresolved issue as well.  Like I can get down w/ some of these changes that are made for balance but on the other side there is a lot of balance that is lacking on that kind of front.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i'll put in my suggestions and complaints here.

Flyer Nerf - I understand Wildcards need to balance flyers, especially in a PVP setting. The problem is, that they need to focus on PVP balance in those servers and fix the places where people and tribes are abusing the system. Nerfing flying dinos doesn't really address the root of those problems. What's happening here, is that need for PVP balance is spilling over into the PVE enjoyment and really just forcing a hit to all players.

As a primarily PVE player on my own server, the nerf to flyers is so bad, that even turning Dino Stamina Drain down to 0.1 (which is the lowest you can go since Wildcard has ALSO failed to fix it where stamina turned to 0.0 works), my dino still doesn't even make it 1/2 of the distance it could when it was at 1.0 pre-patch. That's a HUGE hit for someone that's just playing PVE to explore, collect, and build. I would suggest either allowing PVE players/Servers to turn off stamina drain on Dinos (effectively fix it so that 0.0 works), or allow them to adjust it accordingly per player/server.

UI - The UI I feel needs some work still too. Mainly, it needs color options. I like the new style, and the layout. No complaints there. It looks much more like a modern layout. But the font, coloring, and size are horrible.

1. Blue on Blue, (blue font on blue background) -  horrible idea. Lettering needs to be white, or a more primary color. I don't sit RIGHT on top of my TV when I play, so it's hard to see from a distance with that color set.

2. UI scale - Needs to be adjustable. Again, as a person who plays from a bit of distance, I do feel the previous UI was perfect in size and scale. There needs to be options added to adjust UI size and font size.

Pros

Really love that there are underwater bases now. Haven't gotten that far yet to make them, but i've been looking forward to this for a long time.

Tek Teleporter! Again, i'll get there eventually, but so much better than bed porting.

I'll also add in that the speed nerf on flyers, although annoying, I do find as a reasonable nerf. Yea, it sucks, but I didn't stack tons of speed into them anyways because they already move without much restriction via air travel. Limiting their speed to a set rate is cool, just make sure it balances with the wild flying dinos too (Ex: tamed ptero should still be able to outfly a wild argy)

23 hours ago, DragonEnchantress said:

Wyverns are supposed to be end game mounts, they're not supposed to be accommodating and easy to get until someone has the proper means to handle the task. You're basically saying if you haven't even gotten a rock golem (which I've tamed solo many times no sweat with literally just a paracer and a cannon) then you probably aren't ready to get a wyvern egg anyway. The problem with SE is the wyverns were basically a final go to task and people were getting them seriously early in the game and, once again, low levels shouldn't own them. If having a pteradon at level 35 is too much progression in the devs eyes you think having a wyvern at an early level was intended?

I really think you are wrong when you say low levels were getting wyverns. I think the only way that was happening is that someone was giving them one. If you do it without help of a tribe on an official server, I think most players would be about level 70 or higher before getting one. Maybe you think level 70 is low level? 

Lots of trading for wyverns was going on. That could still happen no matter how hard they make it to get one. The way it currently works, I don't think I would ever get one other than trading for one. I've played thousands of hours, but wouldn't call myself a hard core player. 

Possibly some think only hard core players should have a wyvern?

@Jat I previously posted my thoughts on this patch, but I only focused on the flyer nerf. There are other things in the patch that I like and dislike and would like to make my thoughts known since most people seem to be only focusing on the flyer nerf as I did, initially. 

UI:

• The font took some getting used to, but it's ok. I still think some text sections are too bold and others are too narrow.  
  • The tooltip window is better now that you made it semi-transparent, but it would be great if there was an option to disable it. 
  • I like the quality color glow behind weapons and armor, but why isn't ascendant red anymore? The cyan used for ascendant blends into the background of the UI too much and sometimes I mistake them for primitive. Also, if the ascendant items are now color coded cyan, then the red crystals should also be cyan since the crystal colors and unlocking seem to correspond with the quality tiers.
  • I'd suggest a greyed out or some other method of identifying the blueprints that you don't have enough mats in your inventory to craft instead of the red. The text on top of the red is hard to read. Maybe that's why the ascendant color changed? But either way, I think you should take another look at this.
  • Maybe I just haven't seen it, but I'd like to see the Dino's name when I'm in their inventory. Sometimes I get distracted and I forget which "Direwolf" I'm looking inside when I get back to the game.
  • Good things:
    • It's clearly marked how to delete inventory folders now. I couldn't figure out how to do it before, if it was even possible. 
    • Craft a specific amount - very awesome and appreciated!
    • Easily see and switch between information about character or other inventory by click of a tab
    • Baby Maturation % - great addition
    • Amount of level ups available shown is very helpful!

Sounds:

• Female character sounds: I'm sorry, but the new sounds my character has do not seem appropriate for all audiences. Each time she gets hungry or thirsty or cold.... the sounds sound like they were recorded from adult movies. I'm not a prude, I'm just trying to use nicer language here. The sounds have become more of a joke to me in-game actually, but I don't think they are appropriate, regardless. The whining my character did before was more realistic to sounds a real person would make when they felt those things.
  • New Dino sounds:
    • Rex: The rex doesn't sound intimidating anymore. I don't know why you chose to remove the reverb/bass from the roar, but please change it back or at least to something more threatening! I'm not excited about the new raptor sound, but I can deal with it. The rex roar is now practically nonexistent however.
    • Direwolf: Again, not very intimidating. Too high-pitched. And the howl is cut off at the end.
    • Quetzal: I think it sounds more like a seagull now than a giant bird/dinosaur.

8 minutes ago, geneticbits said:

Sounds:

• New Dino sounds:
    • Rex: The rex doesn't sound intimidating anymore. I don't know why you chose to remove the reverb/bass from the roar, but please change it back or at least to something more threatening! I'm not excited about the new raptor sound, but I can deal with it. The rex roar is now practically nonexistent however.
    • Direwolf: Again, not very intimidating. Too high-pitched. And the howl is cut off at the end.
    • Quetzal: I think it sounds more like a seagull now than a giant bird/dinosaur.

All the new dino sounds make them sound like they're squeek toys.. I miss dinos sounding like dinos..

• Administrator

Hey guys,

I'm back now and it's clear a lot of you have some concerns and thoughts over the recent flyer balance. There's a lot of frustration out there due to the changes, and we understand it comes from the passion you have for the game. I'm going to go ahead and lock+unpin this topic so I can start going through the responses here (as well as any other posts that I had been tagged in regarding feedback about the patch). 

I'll also be creating a mega-thread where you guys can continue to discuss your thoughts, please try and stick to that topic and let's not be so hostile towards one another. Everyone is going to have an opinion, and they're allowed to! Don't give someone a hard time just because you disagree with what they think. If you have a post that you'd like to do separately because you feel it's an alternative approach that may derail current discussion, by all means go for it, we'll check it out but our mods will be redirecting discussion to the main thread.

Mega Thread:

• Jatheish unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived