Upcoming Patch v256 Discussion Thread

Jatheish

7 hours ago, BobRoss said:

i think both you and i have a different perspective on personal transport but i have always used the quetz as personal transport because its just the best statwise, you can transport alot of gear/weapons and it gets the bet % per point you put in MS, and it gets the best taming bonus in MS aswell. 

and the quetz is used as alpha killer (knockback), prime meat farmer+cooker, mobile base, transporter of (multiple) dinos across the entire island, resource transporter, farming companion and for me personal transport. on PVP its used as warbird, turtle carrier, pickup bird to tame.

do i need to go on? its practically used for anything in the game and thats the problem with it. if its a farmer companion then fine, scrap the platform saddle, decrease the movement speed alot kleep the weight the same as it is nerf its damage and knockback drastically and its fine.

Speaking as someone who spent most of their time originally in a private server and recently went to an official server I would be very upset if they destroy the usefulness of the quetz. I am, for the most part, a lone wolf player and the costs for doing endgame stuff are astronomical. I have always thought the primary gameplay loop of the game was you start out barely able to scratch by with just the tools and clothes on your back and then slowly increase your dino roster with each filling various roles that increase production. As production increases you are then able to step up to the next tier which has further increased cost until you reach the equilibrium point. Quetzals represent that equilibrium point to me, as a lone wolf player I will go with whatever has the least amount of risk involved, and flying ensures that my stuff will survive as long as I don't do anything stupid.

Land based trains make very little sense if you're trying to herd by yourself. Rexes when not mounted have slow attack speed and can be overwhelmed if they step on something stupid and get stuck. Almost all of the land dinos (and fliers to a lesser extent) have similar problems and make many thing untenable to a lone wolf. Alpha and larger tribes won't be hit by this, they'll just change tactics or lock up nodes to monopolize them (speaking from a PvE perspective, where there is no way to challenge them) making it even harder for those of us who choose to go it alone. It also bears mention that on official server there is a platform saddle limit (which my server has hit before I was able to even build a platform) so I'm already operating with a hampered gathering method.

The thing that I have always enjoyed about Ark is that if you were willing to put in the time, you could get to "the fastest way..." with time and diligence. Once you reach that point the gameplay begins to open up with breeding, caving, bosses and the like. I'm a lone wolf who is most interested in building an interesting base and fighting some dinos. If I wanted to play a mining simulator I'd have bought that. Grind and resource gathering is part and parcel with survival games, but who said it had to be the only feature? I have a use for my brontos already, and I choose to ride all of the dinos I tame but how and when I use them is my choice. If people don't do that, then that is on them and shouldn't make my gameplay more tedious.

I can only give my perspective of course, I'm sure many have much greater experience and I respect that. I would rather see them introduce a buff to land animals or some such that encourages competition between land vs air rather than see them nerf something to bring it down to a different level. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BubbaCrawfish
15 minutes ago, CameronAu said:

Any official news on the Flyer nerf? Not speculation, but actual news

And any way that servers can simply reinstate the stats that are being nerfed?

I prefer them the way they are, and would love to have the OPTION of having the nerf applied or not.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

The people crying for nerfs and such, should be thinking about how they'd like it if their main workhorses got annihilated in one of these nerfs...

We need a damn optional situation on this, as seriously, you nerf things on a whim for no apparent reason, then expect it to just be fine... Especially with no consultation about it, it just simply gets done back-room style, via some reddit group, or steam discussion, where it's not even being talked about on these forums...

9 hours ago, MrGhosty said:

Speaking as someone who spent most of their time originally in a private server and recently went to an official server I would be very upset if they destroy the usefulness of the quetz. I am, for the most part, a lone wolf player and the costs for doing endgame stuff are astronomical. I have always thought the primary gameplay loop of the game was you start out barely able to scratch by with just the tools and clothes on your back and then slowly increase your dino roster with each filling various roles that increase production. As production increases you are then able to step up to the next tier which has further increased cost until you reach the equilibrium point. Quetzals represent that equilibrium point to me, as a lone wolf player I will go with whatever has the least amount of risk involved, and flying ensures that my stuff will survive as long as I don't do anything stupid.

Land based trains make very little sense if you're trying to herd by yourself. Rexes when not mounted have slow attack speed and can be overwhelmed if they step on something stupid and get stuck. Almost all of the land dinos (and fliers to a lesser extent) have similar problems and make many thing untenable to a lone wolf. Alpha and larger tribes won't be hit by this, they'll just change tactics or lock up nodes to monopolize them (speaking from a PvE perspective, where there is no way to challenge them) making it even harder for those of us who choose to go it alone. It also bears mention that on official server there is a platform saddle limit (which my server has hit before I was able to even build a platform) so I'm already operating with a hampered gathering method.

The thing that I have always enjoyed about Ark is that if you were willing to put in the time, you could get to "the fastest way..." with time and diligence. Once you reach that point the gameplay begins to open up with breeding, caving, bosses and the like. I'm a lone wolf who is most interested in building an interesting base and fighting some dinos. If I wanted to play a mining simulator I'd have bought that. Grind and resource gathering is part and parcel with survival games, but who said it had to be the only feature? I have a use for my brontos already, and I choose to ride all of the dinos I tame but how and when I use them is my choice. If people don't do that, then that is on them and shouldn't make my gameplay more tedious.

I can only give my perspective of course, I'm sure many have much greater experience and I respect that. I would rather see them introduce a buff to land animals or some such that encourages competition between land vs air rather than see them nerf something to bring it down to a different level. 

you are acting like they are gonna take out the quetz... the way i see it is you will still be able to mine with the quetz but it would take alot longer than now and you would have to do more trips. this way, when you pick the safest way to mine ,being the quetz anky method, you would lose on efficiency compared to the la d method being the, efficient one and with more risk involved. right fliers have both no risk and high reward and land transport has high risk low reward. ot should be low risk low reward and high risk high reward

this game does not need to become more of a grind.  ive been playing this game on official since launch. there is absolutely no need for flyer nerf. the quetzls already have been nerfed a ton and so has every other flyer. there should be some aspect of this game that has no risk and high reward. people who think otherwise should just stick to stone tools. 

Regarding nerf:

Beeing a survival simulator, makes sense a high risk high reward-low risk low reward dicotomy.

PvE POV: There is NO threat to people on the air. Pump stam/speed/both on your bird and you can traverse the island diagonally without challenge (I'm able to browse 9GAG while flying from A to B)

PvP: No experience. Probably needs pickup tweaked (not removed) and some other tweaks.

Talking with a tribe mate yesterday, he was stoked for the nerf. More reason to use a roo or dire wolf to go around. I am neutral towards the nerf. Whatever they throw at us, I'll adapt. Part of survival.

Example:

Everyone loves rexes. I like them as well. But I got fed up with their turn radius and getting stuck all the time. So I switched to carnos. More risk, sure. Less time wasted maneuvering an 18 wheeler around an alleyway, though. It helps having a bred carno.

We are also assuming that the nerf is blanketed, meaning that all fliers will have the same kind of changes. They could do that to ensure that only the air-ground balance is affected and the air units remaing like they are in relation to each other. They could also decide to give something to the argy and nerf pteras/tapes (why is everyone only talking about pteras?) or buff the argy. They can increase the stam drain in pteras/argies at high altitudes (quetz/tape are (or can be) found at higher altitudes than the other two). They can - as someone suggested - make the pickup mechanic different with each class of flyer. 

The point of the above paragraph was to call attention to what we are doing, as a comunity. We are assuming. Worse still, we are assuming that they will make a change that will cause us to leave the the game (as I so many times have seen threatened). Of course, the reasons for one to leave a game are different from person to person, so trying to stem that situation is a no-win scenario for the devs. 

Speaking of devs: they are doing what I would do as a game dev. I'm a software dev (with the not so secret dream of transitioning to game dev) and let me tell you that contact with the client/user is the most harrowing experience as a developer. If I don't have to talk to them too much, I am happy. Of course, I don't advocate 0 communication, but the point is that is exausting to hear a bunch of whining reviews that add little to nothing to my product. You just can't win. if you cater to a group of whiners, you incur the wrath of the other, and so on.

I've been following the discussion on the flyer nerf since day 1. I've seen SO MANY posts that caused me to facepalm hard staring at the screen.

Additionally: I fully agree with full disclosure of what any change entails. But they would get so much flak no matter what they did, that I can understand they not giving a flying duck. I don't agree...But not agreeing does not mean that I don't understand. This subtle difference is somewhat lost on most people.

Regarding the UI:

For some time I've watching some people on the forums all like: "Ugh, the UI is garbage", "The UI makes the game unplayable", etc, etc. Then the UI update comes along and so many people like: "Ugh, the new UI is garbage", "The new UI makes the game unplayable".

Side note to @Jat and the rest of the team: Regarding the above and seen that your are fond of the ini file (blergh). "InventorySkin" option would save a lot of grief. then you could go: InventorySkin=0 for old UI, or InventorySkin=1 for new. It would also give you room to grow the choice range. If not now...next update.

Regarding suggestions: 

I see so many people: "OMG, you should do <insert feature> this way: <insert suggestion>. Its easy enough to do". Stop. Please. Just because it easy for you to use, it doesn't mean that it is easy to implement. Most of the time is quite the opposite. But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just a lowly software programmer.

Regarding updates:

Other kind of posts I've seen are asking for the inclusion of more dinos and more features. When they get around implementing some new feature, there are posts that say: "Stop adding content, fix lag/this bug/whatever. Proceeding to say "money grabbers", "crap devs", and the like. Another lose-lose kind of situation. I'm not saying you cannot ask for bug to be corrected of course. Can you do it in a constructive way though?

To finish:

I know that this post will fall in deaf ears... But I had to get it out of my system. For my part, I'll probably continue to play as if nothing happened. 

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Shoot1nblankz said:

When is this patch dropping for ps4? And will the inventory and menus change on ps4 as well?

The Patch will drop on PS4 whenever they announce the date for v506, so keep an eye out on the thread linked below. It is typically a few weeks after PC usually.

I believe the UI changes will be on all platforms, but whether it will be in the next console patch i'm not sure myself yet.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

What exactly is this "nerf" going to be? Like super seriously... WHAT IS IT ENTAILING? WHERE IS THE DISCUSSION ON THIS? WILL THERE _EVER_ BE AN OPTION TO FORGO THESE NERFS AS WE LIKE THE GAME HOW IT IS CURRENTLY...

You guys fully destroyed my Ptera hoard simply through nerfing their speed, and from there, we've just got "Flyer Nerf" listed as the patchnote... Nothing more.

Every mention of this crap, is simply speculation, with no real substance.

I'd like to have the option as to whether or not my server population are really so in need of bubble-wrapping, and nerfing everything, rather than simply having these changes thrown upon us...

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 minute ago, usrevenge said:

they have trouble landing

Learn how to land then... I can land on 4x4 foundations at full speed, and I can land on small 2x2 equivalent points of map points (Those points around the obelisks) with no trouble whatsoever...

14 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Learn how to land then... I can land on 4x4 foundations at full speed, and I can land on small 2x2 equivalent points of map points (Those points around the obelisks) with no trouble whatsoever...

I love these people that can seemingly do everything and just say "learn to...!" instead of actually being helpful and giving tips or teaching. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 minute ago, Lumitesi said:

I love these people that can seemingly do everything and just say "learn to...!" instead of actually being helpful and giving tips or teaching. 

Why should I need to... He's not asking for help, he's wanting a damn nerf... And this isn't the help topic, it's a patch discussion... I'm still trying to find out what the flying nerf is without having people simply guess...

I know I can land my wyverns without problem, and I have taught a lot of my friends how to avoid it doing 2 km searches for a landing spot. It's not my responsibility to pass out that info, nor is it in my interests to do so.

28 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Why should I need to... He's not asking for help, he's wanting a damn nerf... And this isn't the help topic, it's a patch discussion... I'm still trying to find out what the flying nerf is without having people simply guess...

I know I can land my wyverns without problem, and I have taught a lot of my friends how to avoid it doing 2 km searches for a landing spot. It's not my responsibility to pass out that info, nor is it in my interests to do so.

That's true, but I'm just saying that it would look much better if you tried to be helpful. Especially because noone gives a damn if you can land a Wyvern on a pin's head tbh. 

Enough with the off-topic. 

So Jat said you guys weren't discussing the nerf yet because things might change before the update hits, but it's already patch day and still no info? Is the patch going to be delayed again? 

Guest BubbaCrawfish

That's true, but I'm just saying that it would look much better if you tried to be helpful. Especially because noone gives a damn if you can land a Wyvern on a pin's head tbh. 

Again, it's not my issue if someone can't land their wyvern, but they're wanting it changed so they don't have to try, or learn how to...

Enough with the off-topic.

You were the one who was off-topic in the first instance by making out I was being a sad guy for not being "helpful"...

So Jat said you guys weren't discussões the nerf yet because things might change before the update hits, but it's already patch day and still no info? Is the patch going to be delayed again? 

I think everything changes on a whim currently, hence why we've got this new nerf with no discussion about it.

But indeed, it will likely be delayed, as per the norm with these current patches.

All I want to know is which tames I'll be disposing of due to changes as there'll no doubt be things I'll be looking at removing due to this from my breeding pool.

What would be REALLY good though is to have the OPTION NOT to have this sort of thing brought upon us. I couldn't change a setting with the pteras to give them back their speed last time due to not wanting to give every other dino speed boosts.

It just seems real odd to have the forum here, and yet no discussion at all about the incoming 'nerf', or any suggestions that are linkable for the reasons as to why it was being looked at even being changed in the first instance.

• Jatheish unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived