Upcoming Patch v256 Discussion Thread

Jatheish

right now we are being held hostage for their creative team, like they say, they expect feedback and to make changes in the future. If no feedback is given this is what we will get, so if we all stopped playing no feedback would be given and the game dies, sounds like a bad plan to me. And like i said before today, as in not within the last 24 hours, we have been begging for more info on what it was going to be and we got nothing except maybe a stamina and health nerf.

And i didn't suggest them before because i literally just pulled them out of my head, it's amazing what creativity and logic can do at short notice

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ur update destroyed the dynamics of the game. I am an avid Ark player with more thank 3,000 hours invested in this game. Nerf of all flying dinos is way too much. It now takes 3 stops just to get from Sothern Tropical Island to Northern Tropical Island with what used to be a high level quetz. If you do not return a large portion of flying dino capability, I will no long play the game and will do everything I can to let ppl know the dynamics of the game have been destroyed. I am not a happy gamer at all. Hope you listen to the community because I am seeing a whole lot of ppl complaining about it. and only a few saying it is good.

4 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

Well, this ought to be interesting!  

This has likely been posted before, but it's probably a good idea to put it up again.

Originally posted by TheRightHand:

Just commenting here so that a lot of people will see it and can echo it elsewhere:

We plan to tweak these numbers a lot based on community feedback over the next few days, this is a starting place so that we can measure feedback and collect thoughts.

If we released a series of nerfs over the next few days, people would be far, far more upset at the continual degradation of their dinos. Instead, we will be able to buff them now until they're more in line with what the overall community feedback tells us. 

We have always worked best through iteration with the community, just make your voices heard and let us know. These aren't final numbers (=

- The Right Hand

If you think back a little bit this is not the first time that a large scale nerf has been rolled out in this fashion... hitting it hard core right out of the gate to get past the initial shock value and then gradually easing things back up a bit at a time until things hit an optimal level.  You have to admit, it does get the worst of it over with quickly and then leads to a more favorable reception when things are eased back some.

For what it's worth, I think most of us knew this was going to come eventually.  Fliers are the group most guilty of invalidating the usefulness of large numbers of other creatures, and negating most of the more interesting combat tactics available to the player base.  Remember the earliest descriptions of the creatures of ARK, and how fliers were described as making travel/scouting easier but also having large drawbacks/vulnerabilities for anything else?  Those descriptions made perfect sense, far more sense than what the game has evolved into where air power is the single most important thing you can have.  Until this patch you had precious little need for much of anything else.

I'm somewhat excited to see how this pans out in the end.

TheRightHand's statement look like classic negotiation tactic. "introduce and offer something totally unacceptable, so we can offer something less bad we want truely and then you will accept it" i loath this manipulative tactic.

Also I am pretty sure fallowing buffing dinos up will be half done, half fixed like previous dino nerf when they made over half of dinosaurs not worth taming. Sigh... At that time having a pack of dilos was fun.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
15 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

Points were refunded in this nerf.

So what about the base speed nerf that happened prior? Refunded? No... The fact that the points were refunded this time mean nothing as my WHOLE BREEDING STOCK are WORTHLESS due to the speed cap, the stamina being a quarter and all the rest of this bull....

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, BubbaCrawfish said:

So what about the base speed nerf that happened prior? Refunded? No... The fact that the points were refunded this time mean nothing as my WHOLE BREEDING STOCK are WORTHLESS due to the speed cap, the stamina being a quarter and all the rest of this bull....

Then give it some time to see what buffs they add in the coming days for the feedback.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
Just now, GamerPerfection said:

Then give it some time to see what buffs they add in the coming days for the feedback.

So if this was discussed, where was it discussed... And where do we go to give the "feedback" as really, where the heck did they even concoct this stupid idea in the first place...

And as I said, the first nerf of the pteradons, had nothing either, yet it got done, and wasn't even compensated in the slightest.

If anything, this update should have a dino mindwipe added in to revert our stat spending in dinos due to having these sort of changes turn up...

Here is a little feedback from my side to WC:

UI: I like the UI. it is more modern, more clean and you have more possibilities. The old one was a little bulky. Maybe it is possible to make the UI scaled depending on your screen size?

I think the flyer nerf was necassary, but it on the other side it's a little bit radical. I usually try to avoid using flies, because in my oppinion it's too easy. Doing everything on the ground is more exciting and fun. This nerf helps to use fliers only in the immidiate area around the base (or other save landing platforms). It also motivates me to build a mobile base on a Paracer to get the flyrer closer to the destination or even don't use one (walk with Paracer-base and body guards near the target and use the flyer then. In my oppinion the nerf makes the game more interesting. The only problem I see is, how to get Wyvern eggs. Against some other comments about Wyvern beiing useless, I think they are still good compared to the other flyers, and I love dragons/wyverns anyhow :). Till now my Wyvern was more decoration, but I might use it now to get arount the island faster, as it is still the fastest flyer (visit a friend or scout for tames).

What I don't like about the nerf ist, that it's just "you can no longer to that" instead of giving it a good reason, of course thats the easy way. I would like Ark to have a little bit more realistic flying. What I mean/suggest by that:

- Flyers cannot stand in the air (at least if they move the wings as slow as the current flyrs). Maybe this can be prevented or flyers just use more stam while standing in the air

- Use more stam dependent on the ascending angle, the higher, the more as it is more exhausting. Ascending should be slower and you can gain speed by descending (and less stam usage). This would mean you can still gain higher speeds by swooping down, but you have less controll, because you cannot stopp that easy.

- Flying is weather dependend. Make a wind speed and direction. It should be more exhausted and slow to fly against the wind (depending on the wind speed) than with the wind. Have the wind direction on the side, the flyer should sway on a wind blow. Flying at bad weather should be more exhausting/slow or even deadly (in a storm) (Jerboa weather frog on the island :) ).

Using these changes you would need to considder a few things before taking off (or not at all).

I hope I could give WC some inspiration. Thanks for making the game more interesting, keep up the good work! :)  Now I need to plan my mobile base asap :D 

Well again I spend 6 months breeding and hrs of 100% imprinting losing many hrs of sleep too gain the best advantage of my flyers, I have nearly 7000 hrs on one account and a 1000 on another but view this latest update as the finale draw for me. Probably i will be better of and I can now go on a holiday and not have teh worry of returning to nothing. Ark I think you got it wrong with 256. 

This is it guys. I have over 5000h in game, so I'm not a begginer and that guy that dont knows ARK... ok

I have jsut to say, today, I'm out too... GGs WC

Waiting for a good reverse maj ...

Continue with your dumb nerfs and you will lose all of your players....

How to destroy a good game? You have the best asnwer, this you know how to do...

#SADnessinside

#RIPARK

As i've never really been a sucker for Pteras, Quetzes and Wyverns, but as someone who's almost exclusively breeding argies on PVE I must say I can more or less almost live with this first iteration of the balancing process. The only thing I perceive as too drastic is the movement speed cap at 100%. I would think a cap at 115%-120% would be more acceptable. In the interest of balancing things I can accept having less points to invest into Health and/or Damage in order to increase Stamina, because at higher levels so far I never had to spend any points for Stamina, as long as having to invest these points now can bring it back to an acceptable pre-patch 2500-3000 Stamina level.

Of course I can only speak about the high level Argy environment I've been playing with in the past months and am of course aware that this might not necessarily be helpful for beginners or SE Egg stealing situations which i don't have any experience with.

I don't really see WC leaving speed at these levels, but if they really do, i would consider extending spoiling timers for Prim meat (and milk as far as i understand the whole SE business)

*nicely paying my 2cts*

Okay.. I have owned ark almost 2 years and today was my first "ragequit". I don't even want to talk about flyer nerf, you devs know it sucked ass and all PVE players kinda hate you now (at least most of them). But because of that nerf I though finding unicorn with thyla would be lot easier. Well... nope. Two pegomastax later they took all my troodon and microraptor kibble I just made. And ate them. All of them. I hate you. This is first time ever I think you made bad, REALLY bad update.

And I really hope that there is command so PVE servers can skip that stupid nerf.

I do not like this update at all because first It takes a half hour to get to the obi from my base second my base is like a cheese all holes cause you never thought about anouncing it... Also how are noobies going to get milk and eggs. They can't cause argy base speed is freaking slow you should fix it please maybe with rolleback but please fix it cause many people I know around 300 stopped playing and hope there comes a fix otherwise they say ark is ruined. This only gives an advantage to the PVE players on PVP official servers. We were praying last night under the green obi after the first minor update but didn't happen...

I'm completely against the flying nerf that's been done on PVE servers if only because you have simply swept away many hundreds of hours of effort that players have put in without any consideration of the impact it will really have not to mention the apparent arrogance of doing this. We accept the implications of an early release and that changes are necessary but I think this goes well beyond what is reasonable to swallow. I sincerely hope that you are looking for a fresh generation of new players and therefore revenue because the majority opinion among many of my fellow players who have been playing for a very long time is actually not repeatable here.

I think the new inventory system is an improvement but there are some flaws. Snails generating CP is broken. Grinder management initially looked better but is now actually RSI inducing when converting wood to thatch for levelling and the specify volume cannot be used as all attempts to enter a volume are thwarted by the screen navigation logic.

I have just tried to carry a high level Mantis recently tamed on SE using my high level bred Q bird. The stamina was gone before I'd flown 10% of a journey that would not previouslyh have required a stop. Jumping off/on the platform saddle failed to replenish. The Mantis was dropped. Coming back with my high level bred Argent I found the Mantis (passive) being attacked by a Theriz. Whistle neutral did not work for me. I attacked the Theriz with my Argent and it lost half health with one swipe from the Theriz so I had to withdraw. The Mantis was killed. And so, the many hours taming and levelling the Mantis has been lost. The many hours breeding and imprinting the Q bird and the Argent have been wasted. A simple low risk carry flight is now extremely difficult to the point where you have to ask the question "Why on earth am I doing this?"  

There are some that say the challenge has gone and this change will make it better. As a pure survival game that may be true. There are a legion of players and fans out there on PVE at least that love Ark and what can be achieved with breeding and just the enjoyment of resource collection. Words are difficult to conceive to describe just how frustrated and disappointed most of those players will be feeling today. Myself included.  

I truly hope that you rethink this and apply a rollback before going any further.

3 hours ago, GamerPerfection said:

The fact is the current stats due to the flyer nerf are NOT the final numbers, there will likely be buffs added in line with player feedback.

What is needed is constructive player feedback to help balance those buffs, not exaggerations that do not help the devs at all at getting a feel for what the numbers should be.

Here's some constructive feedback.

What I suggest: It's alright to remove points put into speed. I owned a speed wyvern and it was an airplane it went so fast. Keep speed bonus from imprint. We earned that. However I think that cutting the base speed as well, stamina AND max level, all three of these are unneeded. 

Basically if the flyers kept their base stats, but with variations ranging because of imprint, that would be fine. And if there were to be a stamina nerf, I would say only up to 30% maximum.

3 hours ago, GamerPerfection said:

Points were refunded in this nerf.

Points were refounded , true...but somehow my argent doesnt have the lvl it was born with.....Also Titans have been on pve, for what?????before fly nerf people from server could join to help kill it when its close to a base, but now?Now you just have to watch it near the bases and hope he doesnt get stuck inside or kill anything....Adding more stuff and not planning solutions is bad...

@Jat

My two cents on the matter would be to bring back the speed bonus the imprinting gives to still make it worthwhile breeding flyers and taking your time imprinting them (giving an extra reason to actually take time imprinting flyers).

Also the stamina nerf was too huge, especially when wanting to do your special attack with a wyvern, half or more of the stamina is drained in a single attack. In a PVE-perspective on the matter we were using lightning wyverns to eliminate Titanosaurs that were moving in too close to our bases. Now this task seems almost impossible when you have to land every few seconds.

This years April fools joke has been a complete riot. A new clunky UI that is hard on the eyes, removing the two things that make flyers useful(their speed and stamina), and completely demolishing months of hard painstaking work that people have put in to breeding the best fliers possible. There is not a single server you can visit right now where people are not crying over the ruining of this game, and many people have just quit entirely, especially those who spent all of their time on ark breeding wyverns and other flyers.

I personally feel that the Dev's took it a bit too far with this April fools joke, I mean, the clunky, hard to look at UI was enough of a joke already, but messing with the stats of peoples dinos is just wrong, and the worst part is after April fools, the Dev's will need to rollback all the servers to restore the dinos stats, so everything done over the weekend will be lost. which i'm fine with, I advised everyone I know not to do anything this weekend until the rollback happens, but many people hatched dinos this Friday before the April fools update was released, so their babies might get wiped depending on how far the rollback goes.

Anyways I just wanted to voice my opinion on this years April fools prank by the Dev's. It seems that it was not well thought out and will cost their player base a weekend of progression. I would not worry too much about the players that have quit, we can always call them back after the rollback.

PS. I kinda like some aspects of the Clunky April fools UI, If any devs are reading this, I would love to see this UI in the normal game, just please make it a little more refined and not as hard on the eyes. :D

21 minutes ago, Razen said:

Points were refounded , true...but somehow my argent doesnt have the lvl it was born with.....Also Titans have been on pve, for what?????before fly nerf people from server could join to help kill it when its close to a base, but now?Now you just have to watch it near the bases and hope he doesnt get stuck inside or kill anything....Adding more stuff and not planning solutions is bad...

21 minutes ago, Maedean Shepard said:

My two cents on the matter would be to bring back the speed bonus the imprinting gives to still make it worthwhile breeding flyers and taking your time imprinting them (giving an extra reason to actually take time imprinting flyers).

Also the stamina nerf was too huge, especially when wanting to do your special attack with a wyvern, half or more of the stamina is drained in a single attack. In a PVE-perspective on the matter we were using lightning wyverns to eliminate Titanosaurs that were moving in too close to our bases. Now this task seems almost impossible when you have to land every few seconds.

I compleetly agree with both gentleman.

All I want to say is: "A wild raptor, outruns my 100% imprinted wyvern while flying".

I know there are other posts but I really don't care. This patch is the biggest screw up by WC yet. The flyer nerf is totally ridiculous. I can barely fly anywhere with out having to land. This junk needs to be rolled back. This is probably an absolute game killer for me. I really do not want to even play this game any longer

• Jatheish unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic

Archived