Quetzal Hovering & Ramp building

Currahee

So I finally tamed my first quetzal, and it was not easy nor very fun. But now in the aftermath I've built a platform for him and already did one resource run with it last night.

I've done a little reading but I'm curious if there's a definitive answer: Is there an effective way to make a quetzal hover in one spot? I've read that havnig a ptera tell it to follow and then landing on the platform? Does that still work?

Also I tried to build a ramp down so that I could transport tames on it but couldn't get the ramp to reach. I've read some 'tricks' on how to get it to work but couldn't get it to find a working snap point. Do I have to build a freight ramp anywhere I want to load/unload my tames from my quetzal?

Thanks for the help!

If you look up how to "lower foundations" you can make a ramp that reaches the ground.
The TLDR; one is basically: Thatch foundation --> pillar in middle of it ---> new foundation next to it ---> Tear down first ---> repeat.
Might be a bit fiddly to get the third ramp on, but it works if you park it at a proper angle.

I'd toss in a screenshot but at work so can't really log on to take one.

17 minutes ago, Currahee said:

So I finally tamed my first quetzal, and it was not easy nor very fun. But now in the aftermath I've built a platform for him and already did one resource run with it last night.

I've done a little reading but I'm curious if there's a definitive answer: Is there an effective way to make a quetzal hover in one spot? I've read that havnig a ptera tell it to follow and then landing on the platform? Does that still work?

Also I tried to build a ramp down so that I could transport tames on it but couldn't get the ramp to reach. I've read some 'tricks' on how to get it to work but couldn't get it to find a working snap point. Do I have to build a freight ramp anywhere I want to load/unload my tames from my quetzal?

Thanks for the help!

Take off with the quetzal to get the bottom ramp on. You need to have it hover close above foundations usually so it'll have support. 

I have always built on the platform with 4 foundations. A 2X2 then from the back of the last two put down three ramps on each of them. Reaches the ground. Out to the sides I place ceilings. You can place 4 ceilings in a row down the sides of the foundations. two next to the foundation and then one to the front next to where you sit, and another next to the ramp. The ones in the back are optional.

So yeah, having a tame sitting on the quetzals back with the quetzal ordered to follow it will keep it hovering in the air indefinitely. 

I still can't get a ramp 3 long to the ground though, from any side. I know how to sink the foundations and I've done that to the point they're about the same height as the platform itself, yet I still can't. Even when I take off I can't place that third one. Sitting on top of a structure with the 2nd one hanging right off the side of a roof, still can't place.

I'll keep trying, maybe I need to build a structure closer to the ground for it to hover/land on for foundation support. 

As long as you place the first ramp connected to an actual foundation, you will be able to fit 3 ramps. Place the first 2, and then fly the quetzal in the air and walk down the ramp and place the 3rd. :) Reason why the 3rd can't be placed on the ground is because it is obstructed by the ground. That is why you take flight to place the 3rd ramp

Archived