A Story Of My First Rex Tame

Nayte

Greetings fellow survivors,

Upon the success of my first Rex kill, and my house boat holding up to the barrage of damage that big guy inflicted, it was time to venture out to find another one. This time a tame was in order. I had previously scouted an area with a lone Rex hunting at a river not too far from home base. With 50 tranq arrows, narcotics, and a preserving bin full of meat, it was time to head out to say hello to that fine specimen. I brought Giles (my trike) along, just in case I needed more resources in a pinch.

It was a bit before morning, when I spotted the Rex, feasting uncontrollably just yards up the river. I left Giles safely on the shore down river, and slowly inched my way towards the Rex. At 4:00 I docked on the beach, and made my way to a rock cluster, which looked like a perfect vantage point. Just as the Rex came in nearby to attack a Stego I began firing tranqs at her. She completely ignored my attacks, until she finished her meal, and proceeded to walk right over the rock formation with little effort.

I made haste back to my boat, with the big girl hot on my heels. Running up the ramp and into the second story doorway, I was safe from her attacks..for now. A few dozen arrows later, and she collapsed! Falling right smack on top of my entire boat, actually leaving me trapped in my sleeping quarters. After breaking down a wall, I was able to get outside and behold her gloriousness. That's when I thought, "Perhaps I can sail back home, with her still unconscious on my boat". Sure enough, it worked! I sailed back to base, which made the taming process much easier. I also brought out a few other of my dinos to welcome her into our fold once she was re-born.

Lex is now a very welcome member of our family, though she does seem a bit lonely.. ;)

Until the next time survivors!

I remember the first solo tame I did....I was a total nervous wreck.  Lol.  I was hunting sabers and trying to find the right color and right level and then the right place. It was exhilarating when the tame finished. I was sure we would be attacked before it was done.  

Gratz on your tame.  Quite a bit of good fortune, that she collapse on your boat. Well done!  

I remember my first tame.

A Raptor, named Slash.

She was a beautiful black/dark red color, level 23.

Attacked me on the beach. Thankfully I had leveled up and was wearing Hide armor, so I was able to stand and fight.

Let's face it, you're not gonna run away from a raptor.

Booped her on the snoot a couple times. She almost killed me, but I managed to knock her out. Then I killed a few dodos that were roaming around for meat, and sat next to her and tamed her.

She was with me for weeks as my main mount.

By the time she hit Max Level, she could outrun anything on the island, or kill almost anything. (This was before the Giganoto was added, mind you)

Got her a swanky Apprentice Saddle, and gave her a wicked cool tattoo.

She was my best pal.

Until she finally died when I got swarmed by Titanoboas that knocked her out.

I was able to jump off of her and run to safety, but then I saw her death notification.

I must have murdered about 100 snakes that day.

39 minutes ago, Grognak said:

Great stories! Its amazing how Wildcard really makes you love these dinos.

My first tame was a trike named "Frontend Loader" He was my best buddy till I got him stuck in a cave entrance because I forgot he was on follow... I had to execute him to leave the cave...

Happened to me with Mike the Trike. Here is how I got him out, I crawled under him to get out of the cave, got on him, and backed him out of the cave entrance.

19 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

Happened to me with Mike the Trike. Here is how I got him out, I crawled under him to get out of the cave, got on him, and backed him out of the cave entrance.

Brother believe me when I say I tried that... for almost 2 hrs... I loved that trike... he was black and gold which are now my flagship colors on all my structures, armors, weapons, saddles, anything I can paint...

2 hours ago, Leonhardt said:

A Raptor, named Slash.

Attacked me on the beach. Thankfully I had leveled up and was wearing Hide armor, so I was able to stand and fight.

Booped her on the snoot a couple times. She almost killed me, but I managed to knock her out. Then I killed a few dodos that were roaming around for meat, and sat next to her and tamed her.

By the time she hit Max Level, she could outrun anything on the island, or kill almost anything. (This was before the Giganoto was added, mind you)

She was my best pal.

I was able to jump off of her and run to safety, but then I saw her death notification.

That's so sad. Sorry about that. I know the feeling of hatred towards Titanoboas.

A level four killed our entire pack of animals while we were offline (they were on passive so they wouldn't attack our allied tribes who frequently visit our base). They were also behind a two wall high enclosure with spike walls. Somehow, a Titanoboa got in and killed our two high level Raptors, our Trike, our Pachy, and our Beezlebufo.

We quickly proceeded to embark on a Titanoboa slaughtering spree...

Aww how adorable a story that was but my first tame was a raptor on a PvP server in the swamp I saw her at around 6pm so it's getting dark I entice her to chase me into an open area but which still had privacy from enemies and other players by the time she's down its around 11pm an I can't see anything I load up on the meat an narcoberries an continue to defend her from compys, ants an Dragonflies which got me enough hide to make a saddle an prevent me from starving to death it takes roughly all night as the sun was just rising as I set of for camp to surprise the tribe an stop them from bitching because the Hunter hasn't returned with food like seriously our base or new base was on a beach full of dodos, dilos an coalacanths among paras and brontos but nope it was up to me to kill everything.

Anyway I made it back to camp with everyone still bitching where's my food where's my food to which I replied out the door to your left its a level 2 bronto have fun an then I drop off what food I had on the fire an went back outside to continue hunting an possibly tame some dilos to help in the hunting party consisting of me an the raptor when I noticed a fellow damn idiot tribe member trying to kill said bronto with my level 10 raptor which peed me off I called it off even whistled passive but to no avail as the moron got her killed an himself in the process not to mention he got our house destroyed damn idiot an that was the last time I bothered naming things on public server's funny thing is the same idiot got my dilos killed the following night when I was off-line by trying to take on a level 30 titanboa an my dilos where only 3s an 4s with one 6 as the pack leader at that point I said eff it an stopped taking tamed dinos back to camp an basically started living on my own.

great post and great stories...

im still pretty new (just out my first week taking it slow) so ive got no stories of taming rex's or the like. :( but my first tame in game was no less stressfull :D...

I was keen to tame my first mount and spotted a Phiomia not far from my base.. so with a hand full of rocks and berries and a slingshot I gave chase, knocking him down at the foot of a cliff face... all was going well until I noticed the rate this guy was going through my berries!!  so I set out collecting berries like a wild animal! I was just keeping pace with his hunger for my berrys when while returning to him from another berry trip I noticed the spino that had been causing me hassle near my base for a few days now WAAAAAY to close for comfort, he was JUST out of agro range, and being fully aware of the speed these big guys attack I was having an heart attack...

by the grace of god I managed to get it done and rode chubbs outa there like the wind!! lol... this game can be sooo stressfull sometimes lol 

8 hours ago, Grognak said:

Great stories! Its amazing how Wildcard really makes you love these dinos.

My first tame was a trike named "Frontend Loader" He was my best buddy till I got him stuck in a cave entrance because I forgot he was on follow... I had to execute him to leave the cave...

That is awful. It's crazy how attached we can get to these guys.  

Your tribe could have brought that Bronto down with 15 - 20 tranc arrows to the head. Of course, you now know better.

Lost Ronda Raptor similar to that. I was recovering my raft from Drayo's Cove when I saw the Brontos there acting upset. Opps, a T-Rex was attacking one. I got her on the raft jumped off, and got on the tiller. Too late, Ronda jumped off and went after the Bronto. Left me no choice but to try and kill the Rex. We both got killed.

I reverted the game back two days, went looking for that Rex, found him, and agro him from the cliff. Took 45 tranc arrows from a crossbow to drop it.

A month later, she went after a Super Turkey level one. I made the mistake of shooting one with the crossbow. A Trike attacked me. She went after the turkey. I managed to get on her and ride away but that thing had beat her up pretty bad. She was a level 38 then. Got on the raft, baited the turkey to follow, and left it to play with the sharks.

17 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

A month later, she went after a Super Turkey level one. I made the mistake of shooting one with the crossbow. A Trike attacked me. She went after the turkey. I managed to get on her and ride away but that thing had beat her up pretty bad. She was a level 38 then. Got on the raft, baited the turkey to follow, and left it to play with the sharks.

i love having fun with the sharks to the point of feeding them with whatever i can carry from sabers to carnos i will scoop them up an drop them off an just wait for the sharks to appear from below if only the mosasaur came to the surface id have fun feeding that.

My first rex tame didn't go so well

so, i was about level 35 and had just gotten a pteradon tamed, so i was sailing over the island doing some exploring and looking for a rex. i was almost half the island away from my base camp when i spotted one, i perched myself on a rock out of rex bite range and started shooting him with tranq arrows. he goes down without too much hassle, but then he needs food and narcotic. 

so i head down to the ground, it's a grassy area but a ravine, steep cliff walls on either side, but we're pretty much at the end of it, 50ft away from a beach that sits on the edge of a swamp.

i land my pteradon next to the Rex and as i hop off to start putting some food into it's inventory, i'm bitten by a titanboa. i manage to kill the snake but not before another had arrived, which also bit me. i managed to kill the second snake and then collapsed unconscious. in my hazy unconscious state i manage to spot a raptor just up the grasslands and start bricking it. thankfully, he stayed at a distance and didn't approach. after a very tense minute of laying unconscious in the grass, i wake up, take the prime meat from the boa and put it on the rex, night quickly descends.

i've got rock, flint and plenty to cook, but no wood or thatch for a campfire, so i have no choice but to scavenge for wood, the closest of which is the beach at the end of the gulley on the edge of the swamp, i jump on my pteradon and quickly fly down to the edge of the swamp to gather some wood and thatch, i jump off my bird and immediately start hacking at a tree, suddenly, not 1, not 2, but 3 titanboas attack in sync - my torpor is rising at a crazy fast rate and hack and slash with my newly forged and hard sought after sword and managed to kill all 3 boas before i collapse unconscious again. 

about 30 seconds go by, i'm still out cold when the munching begins - a small swarm of meganeura start chewing on my unconscious body, as the seconds pass they gradually chew through my armor piece by piece, i never woke up :( i must've been seconds away from rousing when i was finally killed by a damn dragonfly. due to the tame, my pteradon was set to passive and as such just let them eat me - thanks dude! 

i was playing solo at the time and i was only level 35-ish, everything i owned was on my body - i wasn't expecting to run into a rex, so hadn't assembled a base or bed nearby and i wasn't expecting to play with snakes so didn't have any stimulant. unfortunately, my body with all my stuff on it is now over half the island away and not only that, but my only flying mount is also half an island away and it's now the middle of the night.

so i jump on the back of my gigantopithecus and run like a madman through the pitch-black, naked, on the shoulders of my giganto, we made it about halfway there before my giganto succumbed to the poison and collapsed into a mire, i hopped off an ran for my life in the rough direction of my stuff, hoping to get back there before the rex woke up. i made it about another 100 yards before i succumbed to the poison bites. recovery plan A. failure.

undeterred from my recovery mission, i start out again. this time on my raft, which i've built a small 1x1 thatch hut on, a bed and a campfire, still naked i glide up the rivers, through the night running into sandbars, rocks and sarco's alike, all stalling my progress - eventually, i got boarded by a sarco and a handful of boas and died again. i tried to respawn on the boat only to be instantly swamped by boas again. recovery plan B. failure.

time for plan C. Burt Wondersaur. 
burt wondersaur was my highest level dino at the time, a level 34 carno. it's still the middle of the night, about 2.30 am at this point. i jump on burt and we ride out into the darkness, trying to keep to the edge of the swamp, but not too close to aggro all the boas, i manage to make it about halfway between my my camp and my stuff when Burt succumbed to the scorpion stings, boa bites and general evil of the swamp and went down unconscious - thankfully just far enough away from the swamp to avoid more boa and sarco aggro, but he's down and out and it's still dark. i manage to kill a scorpion by hand and scavenge berries like a madman in a futile attempt to stave off the torpor but quickly succumb - a tense minute later i come around, just in time to fend off another scorpion attack.

by this point, i've almost had a heart attack, my nerves are on edge, my palms are sweaty and i'm in the middle of the jungle, miles from my home, still miles from my stuff, naked, with nothing but a knocked out dinosaur and a hastily crafted spear. i stand my ground and scavenge whilst burt recovers, i get a campfire running, i get a small hut erected, my stress levels start reducing as the sun starts to rise, but my dino is still out and i'm still a distance away from my stuff.

i cook up some meat, burt wakes up and off we go with the sun on our backs, thankfully the rest of the journey is a lot less perilous and all the swamp antics have earned burt a few levels, so we press on, munching our way through the jungle back to the ravine where it all began - as i come down a hill, i start to recognise the area as roughly where i was taming the rex and where i'd lost the battle with the dragonflies. 

as i make my way towards my corpse, hoping to find my flyer in one piece, the T-rex which i'd failed to tame had woken up and strolls straight across the path between me and my backpack. so i hold back, finally the gods of ark shine upon me and he takes off into the distance, i sprint like a madman straight towards my pack, it's still there! barely a few minutes left on it before it despawns, i quickly recover my gear and re-equip. i have a quick look for my pteradon, only to find another backpack with a saddle and some meat in it. /sadface. i then scarper out of the swamp and back into the grasslands, where i quickly craft a thatch foundation and a new bed as it dawned on me, there's a very long journey home ahead. 

thanks to some clever traversing of rivers, i managed to avoid the swamp and found my way back to the coast, which i then followed all the way home - my epic journey had finally come to an end and i was a wreck, i'd lost my pteradon, my gigantopithecus and the rex i was trying to tame, but i'd found a long lasting bond with burt wondersaur, he saved my bacon that night and i'll never forget it. i'll also never try to tame without prior preparation or run off through the night on a half assed rescue mission without the proper tools, armour or food.

unfortunately burt died a few weeks later in an alpha rex confrontation, due to a misguided basecamp location my girlfriend had chosen, which over the course of the next few days decimated my tamed dino population from about 15, down to 3. i lost 5 argies in a single day! 3 of them were eaten by a wild giganto.

i love this game, some of the best adventures are the unexpected ones

Thanks for the support everyone, it's great to share the same kind of passion this game generates with like minded individuals.

14 hours ago, Leonhardt said:

A Raptor, named Slash.

She was my best pal.

I completely understand, I've lost most of my tames to Titanoboas. There's not too many areas I'll avoid like the swamp biomes. If I need any resources from there, it's just going to be hide armor, a pike or sword, and my two feet going in.  :Torpor:

My first tame ended up being an unintentional solo tame of a level 15 spino and it was terrifying, I'd only been playing for a few days, this first time round I was pretty much carried by bird by my tribe from GW2, given cementing paste to sit and craft "boosted".  I had zero knowledge of the game or dinos or kiting, terrain, rocks.

It was the spawn in the ravine around 48/66 and we both prepared by leaving my adopted sabre and his Ptera on opposite sides and prepared to fire, we'd planned whichever one of us it agro'd on would just do the kiting.  We fired at the same time - and then he crashed out of the game lol OMG I have never been so scared trying to run away and fire at it at the same time with him begging me on comms not to just leave it and me screaming back at him that he was a pleb and to get his ass back in game ASAP.

After a few minutes I'd run out of arrows and had to try and make a mad dash for his unconscious body next to his Ptera to grab more, I made it just in time - only for the spino to aggro on his Ptera.  He still couldn't get back in game but as soon as he heard me say it had de-aggro'd from me and gone for his bird he started screaming to screw the spino and save his ptera lol  Luckily the Ptera started spazzing out like they used to back in the day and flying mad circles over the spinos head and trying to get stuck in trees.

With voice comms on fire by now (we were a hardcore WvW guild in GW2 so you can imagine lol), I couldn't get to mount his ptera so I had no choice but to fire what I had left at the spino.  It finally decided to aggro me again, I was naked with broken armour and left on only a few health when it finally dropped unconscious in front of me.

We laughed a lot afterwards, but I'll never forget the buzz of that first tame.

(my first "proper" tame once those guys had quit and I moved alone to a PvP server is pretty much the same story as Leonhardt, beautiful female red level 60 raptor (max level back then if I remember), I cheesemoded the tame by jumping on a rock back then and it was a raw meat tame but I loved her all the same.  Sadly I lost it a week later when I decided to go into the central cave for the first time ever.  I've always been terrified of caves since then lol)

• 1 year later...

OK. The rex story. I make a shotgun and a raft, a crossbow and tranqs, then I go along the west coast. the strongest thing I see is a sarco (killing a parasaur) and the magalodons under me. I went to the icy mountain (the west one) and I see.... NOTHING!!! only a few argies flying aimlessly. I docked, then explored. I saw two mammoths standing over 3 dead daeodons. No rex. I kept looking, and I saw a doe. I then saw her husband. Her husband might be a good tame. I shot and the buck with tranqs, and it ran away. I chased it... into a pack of direwolfs and their daeodon BFFS. the busk panicked and sprinted-right at me. half of the angry, cross-species mob swarmed me, but the damage was reduced by my flak. I shotgunned them all down with a sliver of health. now, freezing and wounded, my hunt continues...¬¬

Archived