Dont Understand

aequitas1986

So the game is fun, but what i don't understand is this company has made $$$ of of us and yet they continue to do nothing about the lag issues.  They make DLC but still cant fix the lag issues.... DO they not care or is it just ignorance? I cant even enjoy a hour or so on this game without dying due to lag and my dinos dying.... Fix the lag, please. Until then I feel like i have wasted my money and time, what a waste!

Okay maybe I can help you with this, in development there is such thing as a development cycle with a number of stages, pre-alpha, where they get the core game mechanics together to actually design the game, alpha, where they add a bunch of content, beta in which they realease bug fixes ad finally release in which they elease the polished version of the game,  the reason the released scorched in alpha is because they started making it in development for a companion with the realease, but the main game was delayed so they thought they might as well release the DLC, they didn't anticipate the community backlash, and the reason they don't fix bugs is because adding content and other bug fixes can break the original bug, it's simply s waste of time, if you don't bother to read this or argue against pure facts than you are ignorant.

sincerely

ILTAD

There are a million threads on here about how optimizing the game is the very last thing you do during development. DLC was because they got sued into the ground, agree/disagree with it WC would have had to make major sacrifices (possibly keeping their doors open) without it.

Also, I have definitely noticed lag improve over the long haul, to the point it's really only bugging me once or twice a session at this point. I play official PC servers, have a decent internet connection and machine, but not outstanding. Maybe your situation is different and that's leading to the issues - I know lots of players/dinos in big bases still can cause issues, but again over time I really feel lag has improved.

12 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

There are a million threads on here about how optimizing the game is the very last thing you do during development.

I'm not trying to stir the pot here ... but does that tell you anything that so many people dont understand this EA concept?  If that's the case (and it clearly is), is it something wrong with the sale process or the customer?

Personally, I think EA *may* have been a genuine approach to indie game development - but today, it's really just a sham.  Where WC falls into that spectrum, I do not know.

54 minutes ago, aequitas1986 said:

So the game is fun, but what i don't understand is this company has made $$$ of of us and yet they continue to do nothing about the lag issues.  They make DLC but still cant fix the lag issues.... DO they not care or is it just ignorance? I cant even enjoy a hour or so on this game without dying due to lag and my dinos dying.... Fix the lag, please. Until then I feel like i have wasted my money and time, what a waste!

What I don't understand is how people till come here to complain, after loading right past caption " Neither Wildcard or Microsoft will provide customer service , your game may crash, glitch, etc. blah blah blah.....

8 minutes ago, theronin said:

I'm not trying to stir the pot here ... but does that tell you anything that so many people dont understand this EA concept?  If that's the case (and it clearly is), is it something wrong with the sale process or the customer?

Personally, I think EA *may* have been a genuine approach to indie game development - but today, it's really just a sham.  Where WC falls into that spectrum, I do not know.

Def the customer, bunch of dummies who don't know how to read the warnings or refuse to acknowledge

them. Before you buy, after you buy, and during the loading screen even. 

1 minute ago, theronin said:

I think the biggest issue is that companies are pushing to EA too soon. I've worked in tech for a long time, not games, and I really doubt that most of these small studios go into game development with the attitude of "let's see how much money we can squeeze out during EA and string people along forever." I'm not saying that never happens, and certainly in some situations investors/board could make demands that push things that way, but overall as a lead/sr. developer a couple of awful miss-starts associated with your name and I'd think you're going to looking for a new industry.

In WC's I think they bit off way more than they could chew, then faced some unforeseen setbacks that exacerbated the problem. I'll admit that sometimes all the content they keep adding sometimes feels like "buying time" and that's concerning. However, the more recent eye towards balancing issues, maybe limited, misguided, etc. (as opinions may vary), but it's attention. 

2 minutes ago, akamurk said:

Def the customer, bunch of dummies who don't know how to read the warnings or refuse to acknowledge

One other thing I thought of that relates to this. Ark is quite popular, and I'd say still has a quite a number of issue for being this deep into EA. You're absolutely right that it says EA all over the place, but I'm betting a lot of people aren't that familiar with the EA process (not saying that OP necessarily).

Counter argument is that they intentionally misrepresented their launch date (which seems to keep moving) BUT I personally don't really get behind that. No where in the fine print does it guarantee a release date (or that the game will actually ever be released). Still WC being more candid about these things couldn't hurt.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

One other thing I thought of that relates to this. Ark is quite popular, and I'd say still has a quite a number of issue for being this deep into EA. You're absolutely right that it says EA all over the place, but I'm betting a lot of people aren't that familiar with the EA process (not saying that OP necessarily).

That still points towards a flaw with the consumer for failing to do their due diligence in research. I mean, would people sue their teachers for getting a failing grade due to not studying the subject matter?

42 minutes ago, akamurk said:

That is a fair statement.

Consider this though - after a while, the customer will get smart.  When they do, then where will the demand for EA products be?  If customers are smart, like you say, then they would understand the implications of EA and given the multitudes of complaints, it would be a fair statement to say they would not buy.  What would you say - over half fall into this category?  Let's be conservative and say it's only half.  So now you have a "corrected market" where the buyer is fully aware - and it's only half of what it used to be.  Do you think EA as a indie development funding option will thrive then?  So who is the winner here?

I've said this so many times and for sure customers do not understand this:  EA is *interest free* project financing.  By definition, there is a disconnect there.

I mean i was a little mad when i posted this, i bought the game when it came out on ps4 and i love the concept! but xbox has had the lag since it came out. I understand its prob the last thing they are worried about but its sometimes almost unplayable because of the lag. I hate having to spend hours on a tame and then lose it in 5 mins due to a lag spike and the server still reacting but local side is not and when it finally stops lagging what you worked so hard to do is gone. I was ranting but I just wish they would try to fix the lag issues more. But honestly thats the only issue i have had with the game.

It is literally like this.

"Hey kid, I got a cool game. It's dino survival, with elements of tribal warfare and PvP political suspense. It's not finished though, still want it? Only twenty bucks."

"Sure, will you get all the bugs out of it, optimize it greatly and provide patches in a timely manner?"

"...I only promise to try."

"Sure, here's twenty bucks."

2 hours ago, ciabattaroll said:

That still points towards a flaw with the consumer for failing to do their due diligence in research. I mean, would people sue their teachers for getting a failing grade due to not studying the subject matter?

I'm not disagreeing with that at all. My point is actually that WC is a victim of its own success in this regard. The popularity means that there's a higher likelihood of customers who aren't really familiar with EA and development timelines buy in EA than otherwise would. 

Buyer beware at all times, but I'm thinking about explanations about why people do what they do and say what they say. I'm not even saying WC can or should be doing anything differently, but getting a bad rap isn't good whether it's justified or not.

@theronin 's question is really interesting though. Since this sort post keeps popping up clearly there is a disconnect between the customer and what EA means, and it's not as though this is first EA title to get this kind of criticism. The point is, if customers are confused, whether you or I think it's valid that they're confused, it's still a problem for EA developers and for the EA program on Steam. I'm not in anyway saying that it's only on WC or Steam to figure out how to make things even more clear (or to moderate how long a game can remain in EA), but it is up to industry to figure that out. If they don't the model might die out, which is not good for anyone (imho).

It's also possible that folks upset about the EA process specifically are an extremely vocal but actually insignificant group, but I don't really think that's the case (vocal yes, insignificant no). I don't work in games, I have worked in software development (not as a developer though). I've got experience in how long software development cycles can stretch over initial estimates (years), but there are still days where I think, "come on guys, it's time to stop adding content and fix your x, y, z. Release this stuff later, you've got me for a $100 of DLC at least anyway" (:D).

46 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

It is literally like this.

"Hey kid, I got a cool game. It's dino survival, with elements of tribal warfare and PvP political suspense. It's not finished though, still want it? Only twenty bucks."

"Sure, will you get all the bugs out of it, optimize it greatly and provide patches in a timely manner?"

"...I only promise to try."

"Sure, here's twenty bucks."

Except they have promised to fix it. It's just not happening RIGHT NOW! and people are continuing to cry about it even though they've been told countless times that they are not yet in the optimization phase.

And in spite of that, they have done a lot of optimization already. It's nowhere near finished of course, but I've noticed a difference in the time I've been playing. When I first started, even after upgrading my RAM and graphics card, I could barely play on the lowest settings. Now, the game runs smoothly on those settings. And with a few tweaks done via startup commands, I can make it run smoothly with slightly increased graphics.

2 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Except they have promised to fix it. It's just not happening RIGHT NOW! and people are continuing to cry about it even though they've been told countless times that they are not yet in the optimization phase.

And in spite of that, they have done a lot of optimization already. It's nowhere near finished of course, but I've noticed a difference in the time I've been playing. When I first started, even after upgrading my RAM and graphics card, I could barely play on the lowest settings. Now, the game runs smoothly on those settings. And with a few tweaks done via startup commands, I can make it run smoothly with slightly increased graphics.

The game ran fine until the patch where they added the Tuso, but then after the Electric Eel it ran smoothly again, I've had the same specs and playe on Official since I bought this rig, and only on the Tuso/Tek era did my computer choke out and crash because of problems with the game. 

However, I don't partake in 100 player raids so I haven't been able to test my limits just yet.

11 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

The game ran fine until the patch where they added the Tuso, but then after the Electric Eel it ran smoothly again, I've had the same specs and playe on Official since I bought this rig, and only on the Tuso/Tek era did my computer choke out and crash because of problems with the game. 

However, I don't partake in 100 player raids so I haven't been able to test my limits just yet.

lol you dont want to be on a full center server a full island server with no ddosing turrets barely function lol & why is the game so laggy just poor game design and developers that only care about releasing pve another useless fur ball so in summery a fix is not coming get used to it.

14 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

The point is, if customers are confused, whether you or I think it's valid that they're confused, it's still a problem for EA developers and for the EA program on Steam. I'm not in anyway saying that it's only on WC or Steam to figure out how to make things even more clear (or to moderate how long a game can remain in EA), but it is up to industry to figure that out. If they don't the model might die out, which is not good for anyone (imho).

You nailed it, @Arkasaurio

But I'll take it a step further (since it took this long to for someone to finally understand what I was getting at) ... perhaps there is something inherently wrong with the model to begin with??  If the customer can't understand your product, it's not the customer's fault LOL.  And here I will reinforce what I keep on saying ... there is nothing normal about *interest free* project financing.  Nothing.  I'll let you chew on that for a while.

18 hours ago, ILuvTheAwesomeDevs said:

Okay maybe I can help you with this, in development there is such thing as a development cycle with a number of stages, pre-alpha, where they get the core game mechanics together to actually design the game, alpha, where they add a bunch of content, beta in which they realease bug fixes ad finally release in which they elease the polished version of the game,  the reason the released scorched in alpha is because they started making it in development for a companion with the realease, but the main game was delayed so they thought they might as well release the DLC, they didn't anticipate the community backlash, and the reason they don't fix bugs is because adding content and other bug fixes can break the original bug, it's simply s waste of time, if you don't bother to read this or argue against pure facts than you are ignorant.

sincerely

ILTAD

Only reason they released Scorched Earth when they did was because they had a $40M lawsuit on their ass and needed money.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, theronin said:

If the customer can't understand your product, it's not the customer's fault LOL.

how is it not the customers fault? because they spent money or simply because they are the "customer"  and as we have all been taught, no matter how abusive or intolerant or ignorant, the customer is king (which is an outdated concept). surely this statement was in jest.

Well the question I have is how many creatures and content do you have to add before you go into glitch and lag issue fixing. There is currently about 84 creatures in game. do we really need more? I personally think not. What about the Tek gear? Is it really necessary? And if so do we really need that prior to release. Games get released officially and new content is added after release. Hell WoW is still releasing new content. Imho this game could have been released long before now with content added after release. I don't buy this argument that you fix a glitch and then later release new content and the glitch comes back and maybe even worse. The game has been designed. Time to move on and fix problems now and release the game then release more content after. What is ignorant is thinking you can't fix glitches prior to releasing more content and thinking that content will "break the original bug". If that is the case no new content would ever be released even after official release.

• Volunteer Moderator
37 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

because they had a $40M lawsuit on their ass and needed money.

actually it is because it was done and planned to be released with Ark. Ark was delayed, mostly due to massive amount of content (alot of which is user submitted ideas) that was added to the "to do list" after the original release date was conceived.

as far as them being broke or "needing" the money as a reason, WC was and still is doing fine from a monetary standpoint, at least as far as i know from what i can find out with my buddy google. April of 2016 (lawsuit time) WC had just hit 1 million xbox one copies sold and over 4 million PC copies. even at an avg of say $25 (yes i know its been cheaper) thats 125 million. im not privy to the specifics, but im pretty sure they didnt have to plunk down 40 million the same day they left court, and even if they did they couldve probably raised that amount from venture capitalists easily, as this IP has alot of life left in it. 

• Volunteer Moderator
18 minutes ago, JaHakk said:

creatures and content do you have to add before you go into glitch and lag issue fixing

all of the ones that are currently planned i would say? you are certainly welcome to your opinions and thoughts, as are we all (a little less for me i would say) but when it comes to the dev's development process you really have no influence on that. neither do i. they will bugfix and when they deem it is time. sounds like you and i are in agreement in that we would prefer that to happen sooner rather than later, but they are getting close to being content complete so its coming....hang in there.

***sorry everybody, should've multi-quoted, not trying to fill the page with individual banter

I have spent so many hours on this game. Its defiantly justified my 50$, and with the free updates with actual content its hard for me to complain. (map, lots of creatures, items, places, etc.) 

I trust they are trying to fix the game, I just fear by the time the game actually releases everyone will be burned out and over it. I have no idea what there plan is in the long run with release in mind but unless they add significant amounts of content i.e. Maps, models, lots more critters, structures, and get the lag sorted on high cap servers this game will be dead by the time it launches. They developed the game for X amount of time, beta the game, and now EA for over a year at this point? It starts to get a little daunting. Main thing keeping me around is the "What else can they do?" and there are no other games like it with this sandbox open world free style. 

They bit off more then they could chew? 

Archived