Choosing Between PVE and PVP

SilverSpino

As the title suggests I'm now debating moving from PVP to PVE but am unsure weather or not thats a good move.
I know from about a year ago PVE was horribly balanced. Structures everywhere, people building all around your structures to stop you expanding.
Yet the issue below states why i feel the need to back out of PVP.

I know many will tell me to stop crying as it's PVP but in all fairness PVP had balance before the transfer. trading items and dino's is fine but the stat of which and to how this occured is ridiculous.

I'll just copy and paste a part of a post I made earlier.

Last night while I myself and most of the eu players on the server were offline a huge (assumed troll) tribe came through to the server and destroyed nearly every main base on the map and then proceeded to block all natural resources points and caves. Which is a shame as my server PVP Official was one of the friendliest and well managed servers you would find on the PVP side of things. 

So understandably I will be taking a break from Ark and will no longer (Temporary as we all know I'll be back) be trading. I apologize to any and all I had dealings with or was making trades with.

I've never complained about the transfer system before.
But this was ludicrously out of hand. To think there are super tribes going around wiping servers and locking them down is ridiculous.

I'd never given it much thought but if the transfer system stays active and actions like this continue I can see many people buying the game and then tossing it aside.
The fact that all this happened over night astonishes me. But I'll save the majority of my b*tching to the right section.

I'm not angry just disappointed as most tribes and myself had been there for nearly half a year. Realizing the total time spent being rendered mute in less than a day has pretty much thrown me for a loop. I like fighting off trolls and being wary of all those around me but this was ridiculous.
When you can't even protect yourself or defend what you have built because players outside your region attack at your 3-5am time frame i feel you are pretty much cheated.
The logic seems to be a don't sleep ever and you have a chance to survive.

So the main point and question is. PVE or PVP.
Is PvE still broken ? Because i will not play it if there is still heavy unavoidable griefing going on.
Or is it putting up with the ridiculous Logic PVP holds?

As I've said before, PVE and PVP are almost entirely different games. Some stuff in PVE is broken, but it's not that big of a deal. The pillars can be an issue but not nearly like they were 8 months to a year ago, before they had to be double stacked. Obviously more people are playing now, so spots are taken, especially the noob spots in the south, but you can find places to build. And some people definitely kite, which is why I'm always in favor of behemoth gates surrounding your base and having all of your dinos in an enclosed barn if at all possible. I've played and love both game types, but as a solo player I prefer PVE most of the time, it's just much less stressful and you can actually participate in more of the content of the game (dinos, building, etc, obviously you miss out on certain things like picking up wild dinos). If you got wiped and just want to relax and play and enjoy the game for a while, go to PVE. Worst case you'll have a leveled character on PVE in case you ever decide to come back, and you'll know which you prefer. 

Just do some research and scout out new pve servers before you commit and start building in ernest. Keep an eye on global chat as ive showed up on new maps just to se some bloody tirade form some power tripping "alpha"  saying is anyone buys form player or tribe x i will wipe you... This is an example of a bad community in pve.but not all are like that and i would also recommend checking out the center with a flier as most people build all along the beaches and pass up the best spots high in the hills and mountains where theres actually plenty of flat free space

I've played Ark for a couple months before they released the Dire Bear and quit shortly afterwards because of job, gf, life etc etc. I recently joined back and I'm having a blast! Maybe a break would be good for you to expand your horizons and enjoy other games, but if you want to play Ark I would do PVE. Kiting and Pillars really are not an issue (via behemoth gates), what people have issues about in their unicorn tears is because they just can't build exactly what where they want to. Of course they're is exceptions like mass pillaring the swamps or something like that but rare in my experience. I would recommend an official PVE server with low activity to have a more closer community and less "trolling".

PVE

• Instead of fire hydrants, which dogs pee on to mark territory, you will find pillars which players place down to mark territory.
  • You will want to familiarize yourself with the medieval feudal system including fiefs. By doing so, you will better be able to negotiate a base location for yourself.
  • Assume the island, if that’s the map you play on, is actually a zoo complex. It will help you better understand the massive pens of dozens of dinos standing around.
  • Do not be surprised by the amount of rafts you come across. No one knew the island was also a massive marina.
  • Make sure you log in weekly or your dinos will almost definitely belong to someone who already has 400 hidden away but just cant help to claim yours.
  • Expect to come across the one creep on the island who collects low level bodies of players.

PVP

• Never grow attached to anything you own.
  • Expect to log in each time with nothing. Also dead.
  • Always assume there are 2 or more alpha tribes "running the island". Think of the scene in Apocalypse Now with Marlin Brando.
  • Expect to die at least twice a day from pre-puberty teens who have a proving right they are trying to accomplish.
  • Always assume your building on a tribe’s property. That $30 you paid wasn’t for your own game. See PVE comment regarding fiefs.
  • Revenge is a dish best served offline..

4 minutes ago, HoMeRj613 said:

Why is it people collect low level bodies, we have one of those on our server and I just can't figure out what the point is, his base is so big it causes you to lag out when you fly over it, had to go rescue a tribemate and was shocked to see about 150 naked bodies scattered everywhere.

Some do it for fun, but back in the days of no wild dino anywhere...I used to do that. Because dead bodies are a great source of meat and your dinos are not picky when it comes to where does the food you give them comes from.

@JetJaguar Great post, I could not have said better.

@SilverSpino

I know from about a year ago PVE was horribly balanced. Structures everywhere, people building all around your structures to stop you expanding.
Yet the issue below states why i feel the need to back out of PVP.

Honestly, a 5 minute read on the forums would have given you the answer. PVE is just as bad as before if not worse.

1 minute ago, spacejam said:

PVE seems to belong to the group of people who complain about loosing everything and cant seem to deal with small changes. PVP is kill or be killed eventually. If your soft go play pve if you have the mental capacity to rebuild time over time and don't get attached to something that isn't real play pvp

Please. They're just entirely different games. Relax man

Just now, Harrist14 said:

Please. They're just entirely different games. Relax man

I'm relaxed I'm just pointing out what I've noticed after reading these forums for a long time. It might upset some PVE player but it doesn't make it any less true. Obviously there are always people that are outside of the stereo type or the norm but the general amount of people. 

5 minutes ago, spacejam said:

I'm relaxed I'm just pointing out what I've noticed after reading these forums for a long time. It might upset some PVE player but it doesn't make it any less true. Obviously there are always people that are outside of the stereo type or the norm but the general amount of people. 

The loud people complaining generally don't reflect the norm. It's the same issue as expecting real life polls to reflect anything resembling the average person, who's willing to answer a poll? You're getting the people that most want to complain about or praise someone or something. Having played a lot on both, the people are the same, they're just playing a different game, so personalities manifest differently. It's silly to make large generalizations like that. 

The loud people complaining generally don't reflect the norm. It's the same issue as expecting real life polls to reflect anything resembling the average person, who's willing to answer a poll? You're getting the people that most want to complain about or praise someone or something. Having played a lot on both, the people are the same, they're just playing a different game, so personalities manifest differently. It's silly to make large generalizations like that. 

I suppose its silly to make that statement across the whole game, but as far as looking solely at the people who's voices are heard its not exactly the greatest outlook. you have to base your findings of what you've actually seen.  ill admit I haven't played much pve tho. tried playing pve and it just give me the poops not being able to build anywhere random small bases everywhere taking up so much room and limiting your on builds. Its not for me. I also don't like that if there is a few people who are less than enjoyable on the server on pvp you can actually do something about it.

5 minutes ago, spacejam said:

I suppose its silly to make that statement across the whole game, but as far as looking solely at the people who's voices are heard its not exactly the greatest outlook. you have to base your findings of what you've actually seen.  ill admit I haven't played much pve tho. tried playing pve and it just give me the poops not being able to build anywhere random small bases everywhere taking up so much room and limiting your on builds. Its not for me. I also don't like that if there is a few people who are less than enjoyable on the server on pvp you can actually do something about it.

Nothing wrong with that, it's completely fair to prefer a game mode. Wouldn't it have been much more reasonable though to say you prefer PVP for x reasons than to say essentially that PVE players are whiny babies and PVP players are cool adults? ;) It's all good, both are fun, just different mindsets. Some days I feel like playing each, but as I'm a solo tribe, I can't maintain a full time base on each, so I keep the PVE one always and restart on PVP servers when I get the itch. 

Nothing wrong with that, it's completely fair to prefer a game mode. Wouldn't it have been much more reasonable though to say you prefer PVP for x reasons than to say essentially that PVE players are whiny babies and PVP players are cool adults? ;) It's all good, both are fun, just different mindsets. Some days I feel like playing each, but as I'm a solo tribe, I can't maintain a full time base on each, so I keep the PVE one always and restart on PVP servers when I get the itch. 

I definitely wasn't saying pvpers are cool adults. I was more saying that the difference in both games really depends on the type of personality of the individual person. People who tend to complain and hate loosing things always end up playing PVE. People who are sociopaths ( greifers) or people who don't mind the early game grind and rebuild enjoy the PVP aspect.

Just now, akamurk said:

haha nice try buddy, talk to me when you hit puberty or grow an laryngeal prominence. 

More of a man that you'll ever hope to become, little champion.

3 minutes ago, akamurk said:

PvP is for little griefers and tribes comprised of geeky adolescents who think they are alpha. I have never seen a fair fight, always offline or massively out numbered or geared. That tells you something about the type of people who play it. 

as by this statement you show you belong in the group of weak minded people who cant hack loosing some digital progression in a game and probably blame the people around you for all your faults.

4 minutes ago, spacejam said:

More of a man that you'll ever hope to become, little champion.

as by this statement you show you belong in the group of weak minded people who cant hack loosing some digital progression in a game and probably blame the people around you for all your faults.

And it looks like you fall into the group that cannot spell and must attempt to show off their tiny E-Peen.

On Topic:As for PVE vs PVP, i play both, but i have different aims in both, PVE is for the fun, gotta catch them all mentality, where you just want to hang out progress and tame. PVP however, i play from the shadows, small huts hidden deep in the woods, i basically play PVP when i want more excitement than i get from PVE.

6 minutes ago, ilShadow said:

And it looks like you fall into the group that cannot spell and must attempt to show off their tiny E-Peen.

On Topic:As for PVE vs PVP, i play both, but i have different aims in both, PVE is for the fun, gotta catch them all mentality, where you just want to hang out progress and tame. PVP however, i play from the shadows, small huts hidden deep in the woods, i basically play PVP when i want more excitement than i get from PVE.

Spelling is definitely has never been my strongest ability. I am okay with that,  it wasn't really a spelling error either more of a typo I didn't proof read.

Playing got to catch em all I just play SP

The problem you've experienced is exactly why I started my own server. I do like PVP, in the open, against other people, but the ability to troll stomp bases in this game is ridiculous.

So this server is setup to encourage "in the open" pvp, while making it more difficult to troll stomp bases. It's not for everybody, but here's how it goes.

It's on Ragnarok map. It has structure resistance turned WAY up to make it very hard to destroy bases. Dino saddles that can destroy bases are also disabled - such as Quetz Platform, Rex, Giga's, Golems and Spino's. Those dino's remain "wild" and are there to make the game scarey again. If a Rex bites you, you're dead in one chomp without armor on.

Explosives, grenades and rockets are also disabled. All this makes it much harder to troll stomp bases....

You also have to start from scratch, as I did. No importing of characters, or dinos' etc.

If this is your cup of tea, I'd love to have you. Right now its just me and 2 other players but hoping more join as I start advertising the server on these forums now.

There are some mods. Not a lot, and they're all relatively small with the exception of Structures Plus.

5x XP, 4x Tame, 3x Dino Harvesting (Yield).
This is a small tribe server (5 players max). Bases have their durability pumped up so build in relative peace. Fear the wild dino's, they are 3 times stronger. No Quetz Platforms.

This is a Kid Friendly server! 

IP Address: 107.173.81.70
Game Port: 18315
Query Port: 18316

Steam Collection 
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885298168

2 minutes ago, Shizniticus said:

The problem you've experienced is exactly why I started my own server. I do like PVP, in the open, against other people, but the ability to troll stomp bases in this game is ridiculous.

So this server is setup to encourage "in the open" pvp, while making it more difficult to troll stomp bases. It's not for everybody, but here's how it goes.

It's on Ragnarok map. It has structure resistance turned WAY up to make it very hard to destroy bases. Dino saddles that can destroy bases are also disabled - such as Quetz Platform, Rex, Giga's, Golems and Spino's. Those dino's remain "wild" and are there to make the game scarey again. If a Rex bites you, you're dead in one chomp without armor on.

Explosives, grenades and rockets are also disabled. All this makes it much harder to troll stomp bases....

You also have to start from scratch, as I did. No importing of characters, or dinos' etc.

If this is your cup of tea, I'd love to have you. Right now its just me and 2 other players but hoping more join as I start advertising the server on these forums now.

There are some mods. Not a lot, and they're all relatively small with the exception of Structures Plus.

5x XP, 4x Tame, 3x Dino Harvesting (Yield).
This is a small tribe server (5 players max). Bases have their durability pumped up so build in relative peace. Fear the wild dino's, they are 3 times stronger. No Quetz Platforms.

This is a Kid Friendly server! 

IP Address: 107.173.81.70
Game Port: 18315
Query Port: 18316

Steam Collection 
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885298168

Question about the map, last I heard the map was still very unfinished and very unstable. has it been worked on some and become more stable ? I am keen to look at that map myself

Archived