The state of ark pvp - And why it is broken

CrittingOut

Hey,
First off I would like to say I enjoy combat in this game, Its the only reason I play, But there are a few things that are really messed up about it, first off, hit registration is way off, sometimes arrows and even bullets will hit a player but do no damage even though it shows blood or an arrow in the character, Second, At least for pvp servers there should be a nerf on the club, people upgrade melee damage and can one hit people in flak/riot armor, Not only does that break pvp but it makes the game less enjoyable as people will sit outside your base and hit you once, get in and steal everything, On no tame servers I believe they should heavily nerf club or even disable it, Combat should not be whoever gets a lucky melee hit that can be glitchy due to lag.

TL;DR - Clubs are too overpowered and dominate the pvp scene and hit registration is glitched

Do you agree? Answer in the comments
o7

100% agree on the club nerf. That would be the first great step to fixing PvP and I know A LOT of players would hate that, but I'm for it and I have an ascendant club myself. Clubs should not be able to K.O people that easily. I reckon the K.O should work only if you hit the player from behind, and of course the torpor effect should be nerfed too. It doesn't provide skill to just 1 click somebody and take their loot etc. 

Somebody is bound to tell you "Put more points into fortitude then dude!" No. I roll with 30 and fortitude won't save you from a high quality club 1 hit K.O regardless.

On the clubs, does spamming stimulants as you're getting hit work? I've only ever been knocked out when I haven't had stimulants, but I rock plenty of fortitude and try to avoid clubbers so maybe I've never been hit hard enough to go down instantly (one-shot) when there hasn't been lag or some other factor involved. Essentially I'm asking, is there any build up at all when hit by a club or does all the torpor get added instantly?

There's definitely an issue with the hit thing, but I think it's lag related. Ever ran up to a tree to cut it down, gotten 1-2 whacks in, then had the game rubber-band? Do you don't get the resources (because you didn't actually hit the tree), but there are still divots on the trunk. I think that's the same thing with other players and dinos - if you hit where your computer thought they were at the time you see the animation, but, if because of lag they were actually somewhere else you don't deal the damage.

Honestly sometimes the whole implementation of the system is broken the thing is in pvp players will always find the quicker and easier to kill and that's what torpor is the current quicker way to win something needs to make it so that it takes as much effort to ko a guy with 20 fort as a guy with 300 hp and torpor kills other another advantage keeping the foe out of the fight by locking him up so it serves a dual purpose

an idea would be to give armour better scaling against torpor damage

1 hour ago, spacejam said:

I think its accurate tho, if you hit someone in the head with a big wood club youll probably knock them out reguardless of what helmet they are wearing lol.

If I was wearing a metal helmet and someone hit me in the head with a club it would do next to nothing, Yet you can still hit someone once with enough melee to knock them out while they have full flak maybe even riot, Also, If I shot you with a bow when you are naked you would die, But in the game you can survive multiple shots, This isn't a realistic game and I think this post was more to point out the fact that pvp is turning into whoever has more melee damage and gets a lucky hit wins.

1 hour ago, spacejam said:

I think its accurate tho, if you hit someone in the head with a big wood club youll probably knock them out reguardless of what helmet they are wearing lol.

I can agree with this. Also, even if you were wearing flak irl most likely it would dent the metal flak and cause the metal to fracture your skull. Kind of why they used to use broad sword back on the day to combat flak. They didn't even sharpen the swords it was meant to break bones and skulls regardless of what metal flak they wore.

if I was to agree to anything getting nerfed it would be percentage per level you gained from upgrading melee. Let's say 2.5% instead of the norm 5%

then if they still use all levels in melee it would be your own fault you didn't kill them because they would be stuck at 100 health lol

EDIT: @CrittingOut I figure I should mention you in this, could be a problem solver

EDIT: @Riotinq just saw your post. False on the whole you would feel anything aspect. A big wooden club would take any human down irl regardless of what they were wearing.  On a positive note for you, I completely agree with you on the arrow situation.

also I want to add that I am on a mobile phone so I will not be doing ANY multi quotes. If people want to complain I always send a reply to everyone I will just start doing edits and you can deal with it

2 hours ago, Riotinq said:

If I was wearing a metal helmet and someone hit me in the head with a club it would do next to nothing, Yet you can still hit someone once with enough melee to knock them out while they have full flak maybe even riot, Also, If I shot you with a bow when you are naked you would die, But in the game you can survive multiple shots, This isn't a realistic game and I think this post was more to point out the fact that pvp is turning into whoever has more melee damage and gets a lucky hit wins.

Well, actually wearing a metal helmet wouldn't do that much. You'd still easily get a concussion. Its only if the helmet was padded. 

I expected to see a thread relevant to PvP, and was only minorly rewarded.

Club is pretty overpowered, but in no way, shape or form does it "Dominate" the PvP scene.

Realistically, the problems with PvP are too many to mention, but before you address Club being OP, you should probably address:

The oceanic advantage attackers have over defenders (Exponential resource denial vs linear resource gather is always problematic)

Picking (No explanation needed here.)

Movement Speed (This whole mechanic is busted in half a dozen ways. Exacerbates the laggy nature of Ark to make PvP seem/feel horrible)

Guns (Absolutely worthless against Dinos)

Platform Saddles (Think Paracer vs Diplo. These saddles make dinos without, irrelevant most of the time)

Cheating (Which is quite common, particularly as of recently)

Exploits (Of which there are, quite literally, dozens that almost break the concept of PvP)

Cross Server Transfers (It's really neither fun, nor engaging, to be offline raided at 4 in the morning on weekdays)

Horrible Map Imbalances (Island is the most defendable but Center is has more of literally everything relevant. Scorched is nearly undefendable)

Dino-Imbalance as a whole

Flame Arrows, Cluster Grenades and C4 Wyverns being outright broken.

Then maybe I'ld say Clubs rank about right here. Maybe lower. Could be very debatable. Might even be lower.

Realistically, I can't remember the last time I had a relevant PvP experience where someone got close enough to club me where I wasn't already basically dead and/or expecting to be so. 

Something definitely needs to be done about clubs. I don't play that garbage some people actually think is PvP on official servers. Not anymore. I'm really liking these no tame servers. But the club is OP, especially if you have melee pumped and a higher quality club. I guess it's balanced in a way because you have to get close, but with high melee/speed +lag it's just crazy.

I think we shouldn't just say "club op ban club" but work around it. Maybe make it so you have to reach max torpor to become unconscious or increase torpor resistance a lot more with fortitude. Do you want to sacrifice a few points into HP to take a couple more hits with a club? Maybe make the club swing slower or use more stamina? Maybe add a fatigue status so when you swing a club you move slower shortly.

Armor really shouldn't be buffed to much. You shouldn't be care free roaming the beach because you got a fancy set of armor. But something needs to be done.

I dont think the club is too op to be honest.

Ascendant riot gear with around 20 fortitude will take a few good hits from a 280 plus damage club.

The one thing i do think that is op are fists,the range on fists is just insane,you can run rings round someone with a club,punching them to keep them at a distance far enough so they cant club you.

Other than that i have no problem with the way things work,whatever ive wanted to kill ive killed it.

As for guns being useless,uh what?

Have you not seen what a assault rifle with 300 plus damage does to a dino,let alone a flying one.

I'm currently on a no tame player dedi on xbox. Club and Rockets have been disabled which makes PVP a much more fun experience and stops the one hitters camping outside your base.

If anybody would like a go just add and message arkatraznotame.

They also have a discord set up if you would like to get a feel for the place first before jumping straight in.

6 hours ago, Riotinq said:

Actually blunt weapons were a go to thing when metal armor was being worn. Blades wouldn't do much against plate armor but blunt weapons could cave in plates because of the added weight and such. 

10 hours ago, Crows said:

Somebody is bound to tell you "Put more points into fortitude then dude!" No. I roll with 30 and fortitude won't save you from a high quality club 1 hit K.O regardless.

We have members in our tribe who have 40-60 fortitude and it makes no difference when your hit by a high melee build and ascendant club.

Club doesn't need a Nerf but it does need a rebalance. A club is the only weapon that can be used to legitamly take on a high lvl player when if your lvl 1. That's good thing but it is open to stupid abuse

I don't think clubs need nerfed. Yes they ignore armor and a person with 250% melee and prim. club can one hit anyone regardless of armor but that is the point. It has very little reach and if you are full geared letting a naked run up to you, you deserve it. It is the only way a low lvl player without end game gear stands a chance in pvp battles against a high level person. 

Hit detection and hit box is totally glitched/non-existent. Turns into a battle of luck or people poking items/ppl through walls/ceilings.

Remove flyers from the game and giga. They are OP and ruin everything about the game in terms of farming, raiding, making the game too easy, etc. Look at server pop for no tame pvp vs regular official if you want proof which is more popular. Devs admitted before the gigas were a mistake. 

5 hours ago, MijuIRL said:

We have members in our tribe who have 40-60 fortitude and it makes no difference when your hit by a high melee build and ascendant club.

Club doesn't need a Nerf but it does need a rebalance. A club is the only weapon that can be used to legitamly take on a high lvl player when if your lvl 1. That's good thing but it is open to stupid abuse

I think maybe the answer to solve the club is taking quality away from it. So from then on it only comes in primitive. I reckon that would balance it out

Ok ok, So I understand that their are other problems with pvp, I wasn't thinking about tame servers when I made the post as I absolutely despise them but anyways, 300% melee will one shot flak so you just camp outside a base and hit someone with a club, Loot everything and repeat, Club needs either a nerf or a rebalance, Speed is balanced on notame aswell, And guns are usefull on notame, If you want better pvp you should go to notame as it is not full of people who pick you up or op tames that you can wipe people with, Things they could do to fix club would be, Making torpor not instant from clubs, Making your max torpor the point at which you knock out, Lower club knockout vr players, Make melee not work with club, Increase the effect fortitude has against torpor. You shouldn't be able to knock people with higher end gear out with one hit with a club that takes 45 seconds to make, Its just dumb.

Archived