So what did you do in ARK today?

Well i decided everyone was gunna be playing genesis so i started a new run on rag pvp small tribes. Yesterday was pretty much entirely spent getting a ghetto forge and smithy pad built on the beach and laying in bushes crafting bows until i could tame a ptera and make a saddle. Very boring 1st day but at least it got the noob grind out of the way. Then i flew to my favorite super secret hush hush base location and built a new pad and bed there and gathered up about 2500 metal. Since i wanted to keep my area small im running without the 8 or 12 forges i normally like to build so while the metal cooked i went looking around.

I had intended to shove my stuff in a box, kill myself and respawn nekkid on the beach to craft bows. Instead of bow crafting, these two guys presented way too convenient of a target and I ran my nekkid booty over there and punched one of them unconscious and took his stuff (I'm specced move speed and melee damage and some health and stam in early game). His buddy spoiled my fun and started hacking at me with an axe tho so i had to cut my looting short. I sprinted away and leapt off a huge cliff sailing prolly 100 feet through the air to land in the bay where i swam into the river system and escaped. I hid a box underwater to stash the loot so i could return for it later. It was mostly garbage but it did get a purple sickle and a masterwork iguanodon saddle BP. Not the most glorious loot but both are actually useful to me.

Now that i had my trusty stolen sickle i decided it was a great idea to try to tame my dreaded enemy. The lowly pelican. Ichthyornis are incredibly irritating. I hate the little buggers always chasing me down and stealing my stuff. But! they are an important part of my plan. I need them to help me tame things since I dont have the luxury of having the tames and facilities a lot of tribes have. Im a solo player, people complicate things. I found a convenient one and boloed it down and clubbed it out. Running to get narcoberries and looking for salmon to hack apart with my sickle is only marginally more fun than gathering metal (heh.) but it will all be worth it soon.

Tomorrow I hope to finish my base and get my hesperornis so the real fun can begin.

• Like 3
  • Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I logged in and lagged out for about 5 minutes, then rubber-banded all over the place so I quit and went to work where it's less stressful.

I always find this one of the most interesting posts to read. What did you do on *ARK* today? I for one tamed a few scorpions, filled my troughs full of berries and meat and then decided to look

PS4 - Private Server - Ragnarok   No new color mutations on the ravagers last night, so all those babies got killed. I then was flying around, and I saw a whole group of high level even

Posted Images

Today: a meat run, a berry run, couple trips to the old base to dismantle some more of it for materials (and to be a decent person, because maybe someone else gonna want the place now that I don't live there). Stretched the pipes to the new base, placed a cryofridge (which I made yesterday, along with twelve more cryopods), started building the house, finished the walls and the roof of the hatchery and placed five ACs in it, so I can already start breeding things again, though nothing too temperature-sensitive. Pretty productive, though not nearly as much as what I did yesterday (then again, not a whole lot of things can compare to making a rather large chunk of land into something that's safe to live in in the span of a single day).

Of course I joined in on the excitement and played a little bit on Genesis. But with so many spawns broken on single player and it obviously being a map for endgame players to play on, it got me back onto The Island to carry on with my "Ultimate" run. And I think I can finally articulate what's wrong with the single player endgame progression.

Frankly, the game is balanced too heavily in favor of online play and the severe limitations of offline mode causes too many bottlenecks. I don't have tribemates to carry on with the grind, and I don't have a server running to keep production of mission critical assets moving. Even with my single player settings adjusted to account for these issues, Ark has turned into primarily an idle game for me. I've been "playing" for practically 2 days straight with my character sitting in a chair while I periodically return to pop some eggs, kill a bunch of babies, sit back in the chair again. Rinse and repeat.

On the bright side, I'm almost at a point where I can start building my "final" army. I'm done with HP mutations for now, they hatch with 20.2k HP which is exactly double the 10.1k I started with. I am immensely proud of advancing the line this far tbh, but my melee has lagged from the start. That's what I'm grinding out now, almost at the point where I'm going to call it for this gen. Just shy of 600% melee at hatching, up from my base 349%. One more mutation is all I'm looking for to push over that 600% threshold, which is how much melee my first gen rexes have after being leveled up.

I've also bred my yutys up and I now have a pair to bring to the Overseer. Not descendants of Yulia but a brother-sister team I've named Grito and Rira.

Deciding where to go from here. I still have some other preparations to take care of so I have time. Honestly I'm considering putting my first gen rex army back into play. I didn't cull them, they're just hanging around chomping the occasional seagull/argent. I'm thinking I could bring them into the Tek cave with me to use as my advance force, clearing the way for the main force to come in behind them. They're basically expendable at this point so I might as well make use of them.

• Like 1

so this weekend was pretty eventful and hectic. on the weekend riley and i were taming and breeding feroxes. we managed to get a ferox with slightly over 10k hp when transformed. the calculator marked it as too high for the tames level so we got lucky, the final stats were all extremely high. i think we have the best ferox stats on the server. me being the crazed ferox fan i was wasted over 100 element on breeding. luckily we have place on the server where you can breed feroxes. so i managed to breed out a few mutations and ended up with a fully dark blue ferox, a fully green ferox and my desired colours, a red bellied and cyan bodied one. i managed to 100% imprint it. i also traded some coloured feroxes for 20 X rex eggs, nothing with good stats, just so i could get some levels on my ferox. after mass killing babies i had 20+ levels to pump. i bumped my feroxes melee by 15 and the rest into HP. btw can someone answer this, if you level a ferox's movement speed does its attack speed increase, and if its food in increased, does its transformation time increase. anyway i got real cocky and went to the bog beat down. using my new ferox. we smashed gamma and beta but alpha posed a challenge. my ferox was being swarmed and my armor was nearly broken. luckily he pulled trough and killed everything. i got a acs longneck with 500+ damage. after that i went to the lava biome to try out my new riffle. well after walking around on my blood stalker fr an hour or so i spot a 180 X rex, right next to it is a 164 X rex. jackpot. i quickly throw together a trap and lead the 150 in. i feed it kibble and in 30 minutes he is up and ready to go. i then cryo him and knock out his friend, feed her kibble and tame her up. riley then tells me he has spotted some more high level rexes throughout the biome, so i go on a taming spree and end up with 12 rexes. is it just me or does genesis have better level rarity than the other story maps. its dino level rarity is like that of the free maps. so i head back to base and breed up, i managed to get the health and melee into a male, and the stam and weight into a female. i gave them a brake and realized we were low on some resources. so i done quite a long resource run. after a few hours of grinding i managed to get out 100K metal ingots, 200K stone, 50K paste, 5K oil, 20K polymer, 5000 element and a few other things. as i was building a 5th industrial forge and 5 more chem benches i heard a explosion outside the base. i saw alot of damage numbers and realized we were being raided. i fed our ferox squad of 20 and charged out. whistling them to aggressive, it was one of the bigger tribes on the server. they were not as built up as us but they were stacked on combat tames. they had 3 magmasaurs,  like 10 blood stalkers, 5 feroxes and 2 turtles. they then decided to throw out a space whale. i called joe, riley and skull on to help me fight. skull and riley used blood stalkers to kill the players. i stayed on the ferox to kill the bigger tames and joe used our spare dud rexes. well in the fight we lost half of our rexes, a few feroxes, 5 blood stalkers. we managed to defend the base but w ehad more loses. once we had killed 2 magmasuars, their whale, one of their turtles and a ferox they retreated, we also killed them a few times but they had a spawn hidden somewhere. we rebuilt the base and i made improvements. we heavy turrets, thick metal walls lined with spikes, alarms set, narcotic traps, every possible defence mechanism was used. by the time we were done fortifying the resources i had gathered was almost gone. i done a second smaller run to somewhat refill out supplies. i then went back to breeding som creatures. i managed to breed the rexes into a pair, i then bred them to haul out twins of different genders which i then got 6 females and 2 males out of. i then used them to get some mutations which i have stored in a fridge in out secure vault. in the time i had done that riley had tamed a but load of blood stalkers with good stats, so i bred them up and got use 2 breeding groups. i monitored one and riley monitored the other each consisted of a male with 6 females circled around. we got some cool mutations which i stored away for future uses. me being desperate for a better stalker. well i had bred myself a nice pitch black one and named it venom II, riley bred a mutated fully red one which he called carnage. mines had a few muts into health and melee but it was not heavily mutated. rileies on the other hand was stacked purely in health and melee after he lost to a X rex with an old one. we went out and tamed a bunch of random creatures which could pose useful for PvP like yuty's pigs, barys and theriz. riley wants to start on an ocean biome base. since we now have a sarco, bary and spino breeding line he says its time we expand to the water. so i built some metal platforms and gave them to him. so overall we had a successful weekend. we survived a full scale raid, improved the base and i tired myself to the point of collapse. literally i have not slept over the entire period of the weekend. when i got home i collapsed into my gaming chair and played some much deserved TF2 with my friends. one thing that worries me is if those raiders come back and i am not there, we may lose the base. since i am the best and honestly only PvP player in the server. btw we are located in the arctic biome. not gonna say where as i know people on the server i play on monitor the forums and this thread. so good luck finding that out guys. ?

38 minutes ago, Cymas said:

Of course I joined in on the excitement and played a little bit on Genesis. But with so many spawns broken on single player and it obviously being a map for endgame players to play on, it got me back onto The Island to carry on with my "Ultimate" run. And I think I can finally articulate what's wrong with the single player endgame progression.

Frankly, the game is balanced too heavily in favor of online play and the severe limitations of offline mode causes too many bottlenecks. I don't have tribemates to carry on with the grind, and I don't have a server running to keep production of mission critical assets moving. Even with my single player settings adjusted to account for these issues, Ark has turned into primarily an idle game for me. I've been "playing" for practically 2 days straight with my character sitting in a chair while I periodically return to pop some eggs, kill a bunch of babies, sit back in the chair again. Rinse and repeat.

On the bright side, I'm almost at a point where I can start building my "final" army. I'm done with HP mutations for now, they hatch with 20.2k HP which is exactly double the 10.1k I started with. I am immensely proud of advancing the line this far tbh, but my melee has lagged from the start. That's what I'm grinding out now, almost at the point where I'm going to call it for this gen. Just shy of 600% melee at hatching, up from my base 349%. One more mutation is all I'm looking for to push over that 600% threshold, which is how much melee my first gen rexes have after being leveled up.

I've also bred my yutys up and I now have a pair to bring to the Overseer. Not descendants of Yulia but a brother-sister team I've named Grito and Rira.

Deciding where to go from here. I still have some other preparations to take care of so I have time. Honestly I'm considering putting my first gen rex army back into play. I didn't cull them, they're just hanging around chomping the occasional seagull/argent. I'm thinking I could bring them into the Tek cave with me to use as my advance force, clearing the way for the main force to come in behind them. They're basically expendable at this point so I might as well make use of them.

try using the X rexes from gen, they kinda better than the normal rex, but the downside is it will take time to mutate them again. anyway i agree on the afking and idle gameplay. when i singal player and mass breeding things like gigas, i just set the game to slomo 100 (i know it goes to 10 its an act of habit) and i use the players only cheat to prevent egg spoil or egg health loss and random hatching.  know its cheating but i dont have the time to sit there. even with my current settings the breeding cool down is still like 20 mins to 1 hours, hell my mutation factory consists of 50 females and 10 males, out of 3 hours of afk speed breeding i get about 500 eggs which does not amount to much for me. strangely i seem to get mutations more often on servers than on signal player. i am also surprised my PS4 can handle it. although i have a portable aircon right next to it to cool it down.

Edited by Kodking194

try using the X rexes from gen, they kinda better than the normal rex, but the downside is it will take time to mutate them again.

By better u dont mean the bonus dmg and dmg resistance buff wild ones have right? Cos they lose it when tamed. Or are u refering to the lower hp and slighter higher dmg like aberrant versions of other dinos?

If starting a new line i would rather do with tek rex, easier find one with higher melee to start mutating then a normal one.
26 minutes ago, Castlerock said:

By better u dont mean the bonus dmg and dmg resistance buff wild ones have right? Cos they lose it when tamed. Or are u refering to the lower hp and slighter higher dmg like aberrant versions of other dinos?

If starting a new line i would rather do with tek rex, easier find one with higher melee to start mutating then a normal one.

i know they lose their dmg resistance, i mean the higher melee, the saddles can make up for lost HP

After 2 months of playing on Valguero Official PVE Server (I love this map, in the past i only played The Island) my main base finally is all upgraded to metal. Im living at White Cliffs, is a nice place to live and i starting to build a second base at Frozen Zone, near to the Wyvern Cave.

Also, i'm raising Rexys and Wyverns babys (some of them starts the teen fase lastnight) full imprinting with high stats and nice colors (i have a couple of rexys from Christmas and Valentines events).

I hope in the next weeks, take the next step to do the Bosses Fight. Is hard to collect all the trophys by myself, but in that server there are always people and tribes asking for others to join Bosses Fight.

I'm so happy with this server and Valguero map!

• Like 2

Today I finished relocating non-perishable resources from the old base to the new one. The only thing left to do before dismantling what's left of the old place is installing a refrigerator at the new one and getting all those eggs, kibble and other stuff I accumulated into it. Also, added lamps and three more ACs to the hatchery, gonna hatch some rex and allo eggs in it today.

• Like 2

I’m heading back from the Arctic with enough pelt to make my final piece of fur armor. Woo Hoo! No more freezing ears! Unfortunately, I forget to switch out of my existing fur armor before slogging my way back through Da Bog to base. Partway there, I also fail to notice a partially submerged, scaly creature whose yellow eyes are glaring at my Carno and I with a primal intensity.

I hear a sibilant, “Nobody expects the Bog Inquisition!” before I’m bulldozed off my carno and am flying through the air. My attacker and I land in a tangled heap on dry land, flattening the local flora and knocking the breath out of my lungs. Woof! The Kapro is busy shredding my fur armor while I’m trying to push his maw away with one hand and scrambling to get my pike with the other. After a bit, though, he makes a gagging noise and scampers off a few paces.

Confused, I rise unsteadily, using my pike for support. Mortley, my equally confused Carno, stomps up seconds later and looks back and forth from me to the Kapro, wondering what to do. For his part, the Kapro, with tufts of fur sticking out of his mouth,  turns to give me a dirty look.

Suddenly, he makes a “Thhhbbbbbttt,” sound, causing both Mortley and I to jump a little. When he does this a few more times, I realize he’s trying to spit the fur out of his mouth. A laugh escapes me before I can smother it with a once fur-gauntleted hand. Mortley joins in with a nervous rumble (chuckle) of his own. Obviously none too pleased with our mockery, the Kapro glares at us for a few seconds before his body suddenly spasms, arching his back, and causing him to emit a horrible retching noise. Wide-eyed, Mortley and I take a few hurried steps backward, putting distance between us and the contorting creature.   

“If he turns into a werewolf, we’re totally out of here,” I say, and Mortley nods in agreement.

It happens a few more times as we watch, sounding worse each time. Instinct screams at me to flee, but I’m unable to draw my eyes away from the spectacle. And after one last horrible, wracking fit, the Kapro horks up a wad of slimy fur, which plops on the ground in front of him. We all stare at it intently for a few heartbeats, waiting for it to start moving or something. Then . . . nothing happens.

“Gross, dude. Did you just cough up a hairball?” I ask.

Miffed, the Kapro turns and stalks off into the bog, eventually slipping out of sight beneath the muddy water.  

Mortley nudges my hand with the dry scales of his snout, causing me to freak a little. “EYAH!” I shout, hopping three feet away.

He emits a rumbling noise that I recognize as laughter.

“Dude, not funny!” I pause and look at my right hand which no longer has a gauntlet on it. “Hmm.” I then look at the steaming pile of slimy fur several paces away and notice the glint of metal coming from it in a few places. “Oh, heck no!”

While I’m trying to decide if I want to salvage the gauntlet or not, a number of insects crawl out of the nearby bushes and start gnawing on the gooey mess.

“Urk,” I grunt, trying not to heave. Mortley is a little paler than usual when I turn to look at him as well. We quickly decide that returning to base is the thing to do and head off on our way, leaving this memory behind.

(So basically, this is a long winded version of me saying that I ended up using all the pelt I brought back to fix my existing fur armor, leaving me without enough to make the last piece I needed. Back to the Arctic I go with freezing ears. Blah!)

• Like 3

so went to riley's yesterday and stayed the night as he lives close to school. i mentioned before that riley wanted to live in the ocean biome. well he had been grinding since i left the day before. he had leveled 40 times in just crafting structures. (we have nearly defualt player stats but you can get to lvl 200ish with players). so since he had taken all the hard work out of the grinding we deicded to travel over and search for a base location, well we placed a metal platform near a spot where there are alot of turtles, however eels and sharks are also pretty common there so we gotta be carful, because we had no real sea mounts we brought our bloodstalkers. did you guys know you can still swing when over burdened. its so awesome and makes them so good. if they were slightly higher in terms of base health and melee they would be my new fav creature. anyway i placed the platform and asked riley if he had a nice base design. he said no and thats why he mass made structures, so we could go crazy. i said that i knew a design. i watched syntac's vid where he made an ocean base using the platform and based it somewhat off of that. sadly we were restricted by stupid ark building rules. it came out fairly well. we had a tame stable for a few tames. required crafting tables like smithy, fab and chem bench. btw can you snap to foundations together, we wanan know so we can expand the base more. riley said he wanted to tame some turtles but i wanted to go to lava biome. well we decided to split to get more done at once. well i went to the lava biome with a handful of structures in hand and scoped out a good PvP spot. we had made a server rule where the lava biome was mainly for PvP which we thought was a good idea, the community felt the same way. well i picked out an awesome spot near the volcano. that was a bad idea. not even 15 minutes in and i get hit my a lava ball from the volcanoes. everything was destroyed. luckily i had venom in a cryopod. well i spawned at base and took out my ferox (still needs a name if anyone has one) and went to collect my body. was coming back on venom when i spotted a really nice red X rex, riley randomly activates events to reward the players for their donations and help. so rn it was Christmas on the cluster (i only wanted colours) i had 500 shock dart on me so i had more than enough to knock him out. i made a trap and lured him in. knocking him out was the easy part, taming him was hard as soon as he went out everything started attacking, magmasaurs, rexes allos. so i had to get riley to bring me some kibble. we protected him until he was tamed and took him back to base. while taming him i checked his stats and he had better melee and stam than what we currently had. so i bred the stats into the line and had to redo the mutation breeding group which i plan to get onto soon. riley tamed 5 turtles all high leveled and bred them for their stats. we plan to use them as turret towers and tanks. i sold a few rexes for some required resources we were low on like element and paste. we done a bit of friendly PvP with some members on the server and helped a small tribe defend against the mega tribe on the server. as of now they have more PvP tames, however we have a better base and wepaons.

Finished the roof of my house on Rag, Tamed an Otter and got my fridge working, Went up to the Oil Pump on the mountain but it had Auto-decayed :( Still not sure why.

So in utter despair (refrained from saying "Otter Despair") I went into the desert and made a base  to collect Salt from.

Pic of my Otter and the waterfall through my roof.......It is a picture and not a screen shot....Rookie pic I know.

Otter.thumb.jpeg.721fa0018d8abfcd79c38ed3fbdce582.jpeg

• Like 2

Today: finished the hatchery. Almost. Just needs two more ACs (it already has... Lots. The hatchery is 3 foundations long/wide, ACs are lining the walls, packed as tightly as possible). Not for the temperature - I can definitely hatch deinos in there without any problem as it is. For symmetry, because there are 3 ACs on one side from the door, so there MUST be the same number on the other side as well.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

Back on ARK. Been around but not enough to post as I was only raising Abb Otters and a few Rexes. 

Genesis is now out, so I am working on 2 bases; one in the Ocean biome and the other currently in the Swamp biome - man that place is terrifyng.

Tamed up about 5 Mechaleons or whatever those Giant Turtles are called, all 145s or 150s. Just tamed a pair of Carnos and a Bary over in the swamp but they arent X variants so nothing amazing.

Looking to get a  pair of bloodsuckers this weekend as we already have some X basis and a Feroxx or whatever it is.

Slightly off topic though - anyone know what the best setup for Alpha Dragon on Island is these days, its been so long (18 months) and fancy ascending with another character... stats and numbers of dinos would be appreciated thanks :)

So all in all, Genesis progressing quite nicely, all other bases just in a slow moving state :)

• Like 2

so i went over to riley's again yesterday. riley had been planning to get magmasaur. riley had bred out 4 dud stalkers each. we went in their and spent the first bit killing all low levels, there were surprisingly little low levels, most of them were over 156. as we stole some eggs the erupting icon appeared so we scrammed out of there, our first run had gotten us 174, 174, 168 and a 156. but we spotted multiple 180s and wanted them eggs. while waiting for the eruption to stop we found a cool blue 180 X anky. as i was cryoing it a freakin lavaball smacks down and kills me. luckily the anky was in the pod so it survived. we went back in and after and we came out like kings. i managed to grab 3 180 eggs, riley grabbed 4 180 eggs. we ended up with some awesome looking magmasaurs including a somewhat blue one. i took my new anky out and a dud magmasuar and we went to the lava biome to gather some metal. for some reason even though i gave it like 10 rows of meat it was not eating, when i activated the forge mode and harvested some metal and transported it to the magmasaur it took forever to actually cook the metal. i then used the magmasaur to harvest metal and some other stuff, once its food hit rock bottom it started eating but was not gaining food, when the meat was gone it began eating the wood and stone (or at least i think) because the resources were disappearing. so either it bugged or i am missing something. also wanted to breed them till i found out how to breed them. they need to be in lava. how the hell do i do that?

seriously, i cant swim in lava.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, Anarki said:

Slightly off topic though - anyone know what the best setup for Alpha Dragon on Island is these days, its been so long (18 months) and fancy ascending with another character... stats and numbers of dinos would be appreciated thanks :)

I'm sure my Xbox settings may have some affect on my set up and the ease of the boss fights. I'm not online to check them at the moment.

My set up currently is -  edited to add all are mutated at least 4 X for melee already.

A level 229 yuti for courage roar mine has 90k health all other stats were put into melee. With an ascendant 174 saddle. 1 X mutation.

15 × (189) theris all have 28k health, birth health was 8.5k. All the other levels were put into melee. With an ascendant 90 saddle.

None of my theris took any damage two days ago with this set up yuti took the brunt of 21k damage because my hubby somehow became the target.

Also I do have 19 for the boss fight but I forgot to bring the last 4 so did the fight anyway.

All theris carried veg cakes none were eaten. Daedon outside ob for healing if required. 

I'm sure there are better set ups but I restarted the game fresh in Dec and don't get a lot of time to play so that's my current set up.

Edited by SnowboundGem
Forgot something and had wrong yuti stats
  • Like 1

Came to the realisation today that upon restarting all our maps I deleted my rag save that had all my muts on. All my blue and cyan thylas have been lost. 

Ahh well on the bright side I get to do all that again.. 

Completed all island bosses Sunday to move onto the Tek cave found myself in a very unfortunate situation due to split screen issue for the volcano on the island.

I kept being snapped to player one then being pulled into the lava then back to player one then lava and so on. I was cooked to death! Or meshed not sure it happened so fast. Somehow I don't think I can ascend split screen now.

Nearly caused a heart attack. Good job I wasn't carrying anything did loose my argy but he wasn't named or important he was a spare..

• Sad 2

Genesis cont..

So I finally got into a position to move to the snow, I'd done pretty well from a few missions and had some nice journeyman, picks/longneck etc and some better than prim armor.

I built lots of Keep building materials and transferred over to the snow biome, I put a makeshift base down ready to move everything over and begin the search for a new home.

I transferred back to the bog and loaded up my spino with all of my materials from the base and put the sarco, frog, bloodstalker and moschops in cryopods.  I transferred back to the Arctic and waited, it took a little longer to load than usual but I've played ARK for a while, its nothing unusual.

"You have died".....

Fantastic! Now I'm going to have to run and find my body...

I went back to my death spot.....no green light....no body....

I am admin of my server so i ghosted under the map to look around....nothing

So now I have a nice box base in the freezing cold with no items and no tames....

Time to start over! 

• Sad 1