So what did you do in ARK today?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I logged in and lagged out for about 5 minutes, then rubber-banded all over the place so I quit and went to work where it's less stressful.

I always find this one of the most interesting posts to read. What did you do on *ARK* today? I for one tamed a few scorpions, filled my troughs full of berries and meat and then decided to look

PS4 - Private Server - Ragnarok   No new color mutations on the ravagers last night, so all those babies got killed. I then was flying around, and I saw a whole group of high level even

Posted Images

Finally lol. After a few nights worth of work I have finished the base conversion on the Island. Took longer than I thought it would, and a few changes in plans. I scaled back the amount of glass peices, I could easily have made the entire roof glass lol. Tried to keep the original character of the build while expanding to it, well at least keep one or two key features. Definitely feels more like a new build though. Got the usual crafting areas, storage areas aswell as the the now compulsory bp library that every base must have.  Am really happy with it although I am still not happy with the stairs, need to work out a better way of accessing the first floor. Theres alot of room left to add things, so maybe I can add a small indoor green house in the corner or even just more storage.

I think next up is demolishing the snow owl pellet tower and the old breeding barn and creating a new breeding barn. Shall have to sleep on that idea. 

• Like 4

PVE-Official Cluster

Today I started out on the island map and the first thing i did was fed my rexs and owls who were out, then proceeded to transfer across to Valguero as I hadn't been there all weekend.  Once there I gathered meat to feed the meat eaters, and afterwards headed to the swamp with my kangaroo to collect berries.  The roo is really useful on Valguero, i need to try this on the island as well.  Collecting the small dark bushes around the swamp i can get 2k weight in berries in a matter of minutes with him.  After gathering the berries I headed back and fed the veggie eaters.

After feeding the veggie eaters I logged in with my other computer and hopped on with my crafting character im creating, moved all the narco berries and stimberries up into the chem bench then proceeded to make stimulate and narcotic, at the same time I took a load of tintoberries up and started making medi brew.  Another 5 levels added to the character :).  I put them back to bed, then with my main character, I transfered out and refreshed the bases on my ragnarok, SE, and two extinction bases.

Afterwards I headed onto the server the one tribe wanted me to join with some basic gear of myself and a little bit of ammo, one of the other tribe members was on there and watned to know if i wanted to do a OSD with them so we headed out to a red one.   It went pretty fast, both of us standing in opposite directions on each side of the OSD on gigas and just chomping away.  The OSD was safe, and it didnt feel like it took more then 10 minutes to do.   Afterwards we did a second one, and then a element vein.  Once done I headed back to base, put away the gear in a little storage box, and headed to another extinction server.

This server has been having alot of bases decay, and we built a little box house there tucked in a corner for transfering in and out.  I popped on the second computer and created a new character on that pc for that server, just to make it a bit easier to refresh the little base.   it took me 3 attempts to get the character to the base, first time a enraged enforcer back handed me,  the second time a group of pissed off little ants chased me for about ever.  The final time I managed to get to the front door, almost starving, but made it in safely.  after tossing some food out for that character I took my main character back to the island, then logged the second computer out.

I finally decided to get Genesis for the second computer, I figure sense Im making the crafting character and already spent the money for the other addon dlc, I might as well grab that too.  So I'll be able to take the best crafter out of them to genesis with me, I know its going to come in handy.

Once back on the island i set out to do a few chores, when someone needed some help.  I set out to aid them but they lost the dino they were trying to tame,  I did however drop off some narcotic and a few kibble for them just incase they found another, which they did, but they didn't want to tame the one they found, as it was in too dangerous of a area, and they were just starting out, well, had a small base and a few dinos.   Back at their base the door had been blocked off by a tek raptor, i thought i had my sniper rifle out at first and shot it twice, down it went... oops... that was my tranq gun... lol... "you want a raptor?" "sure!" they replied. So i tossed some kibble in it and boom it was tamed.... wait.. it was 5hrs past 2x, but it was still on.  They decided to tame a anky, and while they knocked it out and tamed it, i took out 3 allo's and 2 carnos that were close by with my sniper rifle.  I spotted a little doedic, only lvl 40, and asked them if they wanted it, they did but didn't have a way to get it back sense they were taming a anky, told them "i got a cryo pod :)" and pulled it over to the side the anky was on.  once it calmed I healed it with my owl, then proceeded to knock it out,  4 tranqs later to the face, down it went.

They took their anky back to their base while i waited on the doedic to tame,  right after they left, 6 raptors and 5 saber spawned within range of the doedic, I quickly argoed them all and pulled them into the ocean,  once all of them were swimming i just sat there on the owl attacking, and killed them all off one by one.  15 minutes later, the doedic was tamed and took it back to their base, on the way back i saw a 110 theri, and tried to pull it, a second theri joined in the chase, but i kept pulling, 1/2 way to where i was trying to get them to a nice spot to tame, one gave up chase and wouldn't join  back in, so i kept pulling the one, thinking it was the 110.  Once i got it to the spot I started knocking it out, after 4 tranq's it started running away,  I took aim down my sites thinking "this is too easy" and it it one last time, down it went.  I went over to see what it was I knocked out it turned out to be a level..... 5 lol.... the other person wanted it anyhow, so 5 kibble later and 30 narco, it was tamed. 

I gave them a giga for a little bit of base defense, nothing fancy, it started as a level 20 and it had been passed through 3 different tribes already.  I also tossed out 25 metal spike walls so that they could throw them up to block the open spots on their unfinished wall to at least keep out the carno and raptors from their small base.  I felt I did something nice, helping the player and giving them the one dino, and a bit of flak armor that came from my gacha, they appreciated it.

after all that I decided to call it a day and headed off... a productive day.

Now to go watch that video  WarpSpasm found for me! Thanks mate :)

• Like 5

PS4 Single Player

Done a bit in the last few days.  

Took the Argy's over to the island but of course they disappeared when I tried to download them. 

I spawned a 135 and 140 to replace them. Didn't get the high melee but got better stam. 

I'll take it. 

Raised 2 up. One for battle, one to farm. I took the battle one out first. Grabbed 5 notes and started killing stuff. 

Came across a 140 Anky so I farmed up a quick trap and KO'd it. Might be the worse 140 I ever knocked but anything is better than a prim pick. 

After that was done, I grabbed the farmer and hit some more notes to get it levels. 

I decided I wanted a better pair of Anky's so I decided to head to Valguero. I made up some structures to build a spawn in point, loaded up my gear and the battle Argy. 

Spawned in and made my way to Green Ob which is the safest ob. Only had to outrun one set of Raptors and a Rex so not a bad trek. 

Decided to place my spawn in right at green. Then I remembered the poly dolphins so farmed up some mats to make cryo's for safer transport. 

Eyeballed some Anky's by green but all were lower level so I headed over to Chalk Hills. Looked for Deino eggs but found no nests at the usual spots. Spotted a 145 Anky so placed a trap and KO'd that. That one tamed out with 351 melee so acceptable. Then I found a 140 Female Anky so tamed her up. She had 340 something melee. Perfect pair for my needs. 

Loaded them up and back to the island.

I bred them and got myself a baby for the imprint. 

More to follow in a bit...

• Like 6

PS4 Single Player continued

I currently am operating out of a simple 2 x 2 wood house over at Stonehenge so decided it was time to figure out where to build the main base. 

I want to be somewhat close to an Ob and the resource pickings are slim at Red. I considered going Central on Redwood mountain but I like to farm metal there. I lived right at Green on legacy so would like to switch that up too. 

I want the natural landscape to provide a lot of my protection so I don't need to place a lot of gates and walls. I scouted a few locations but nothing appealed to me so I decided to farm up some metal. 

I made a small platform and placed 6 refining forges and cleared a couple of the mountain tops near my base. Got crystal and metal. 

I needed paste so I went to hit some beaver dams but couldn't find one nor even a beaver on the map. I did a dino wipe and did another trip. Still no beavers but I did find a 140 Theri. I put it on my to do list and then grabbed up some stuff for a Rag jump. 

Decided I needed a doedic or a pair so went hunting on Rag since I was heading over there. Found a 140 close to green. I grabbed it and dropped it between a metal node and mountain it was very stuck and safe. KO'd it. Nothing remarkable and scouted some more while it tamed. 

I could easily find some in the desert but didn't want to make the trip so I grabbed up the Doedic and headed to the dams near Viking Bay. 

How I grab cp is I lay down some sleeping bags and then just grab the whole dam. If I can drop the wood I'll hit a few, if not I just respawn and grab the good stuff off my corpse and continue. Only found 5 giant dams this time, no smaller ones so got about 1800 CP. That'll do for now. 

Back to the island and I started getting stone. Figure I'll make my base out of stone. Perhaps permanently or maybe I'll switch it around down the line. 

I took some of that stone and made up a trap for the Theri. Set that up and tamed it too. Just like the 140 Anky, may be the worse 140 Theri I ever tamed. 5.9k hp, 800 stam, 280ish melee. It got 570 or so weight but definitely disappointing. 

Still I got a wood gatherer now so I put the weight Argy on follow and grabbed some. I started pre making stone structures. 

I did another base scout location and decided that building on the flat plateaus on the Westside of green just made the most sense. I'm going to connect the two plateaus with a bridge so I may post a pic of that at some point.

That's what I'll cover for now. I have a few things I want to do in the next couple of plays. I will probably jump to Extinction to get some Gacha's and Owls and I want to get a Griffin so I can farm the loot drops on SE though maybe I can get a good Owl to do that instead. 

Until next time.

• Like 3
On 8/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, Cythraul said:

On another note, a friend from college has just bought Ark and is wanting to play with me so I have been thinking about joining a PVE server. The cluster that Aushegun plays on sounds like it has great community and helpful players so I would love to join that one but also think that it might only be for a select group of individuals and it would be tough to get into. If it is open to the public, could you share the server name so I could check it out Aushegun? If not, any recommendations of PVE servers with great community and active admins would be appreciated.

Funny you should bring it up. because Yesterday was filled with drama on the Cluster discord, as apparently they are running out of money to keep the servers going, and a bunch of admins quit, and basically I am now looking for a new cluster, as it appears this one is most likely doomed.

So if YOU find a good PS4 unofficial cluster, let me know!  :Jerbcry:     (I am perfectly willing to donate on a regular basis to a cluster that is to my liking, as I understand that servers are expensive to rent.  Apparently I was one of the few donating to my current cluster, and too many others were not.)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

Funny you should bring it up. because Yesterday was filled with drama on the Cluster discord, as apparently they are running out of money to keep the servers going, and a bunch of admins quit, and basically I am now looking for a new cluster, as it appears this one is most likely doomed.

So if YOU find a good PS4 unofficial cluster, let me know!  :Jerbcry:     (I am perfectly willing to donate on a regular basis to a cluster that is to my liking, as I understand that servers are expensive to rent.  Apparently I was one of the few donating to my current cluster, and too many others were not.)

thats one thing i didn't like about unofficial server, i' d feel like i was finally getting somewhere on them and then poof, the server was gone, never to be seen again.  I know some have been around for a while now, but when people try to get me to play on them I tell them im just not into playing on a "here today, gone tomorrow" server.

Edited by caleb68
typos
On 9/1/2019 at 9:24 PM, WarpSpasm said:

'The apex way' posted a video of him doing the tek cave with other tribes about a month or so ago, it may be useful to you.

I found the link, 

I wish you luck for your glorious rematch.

I can see clearly where they went wrong with their venture in the tek cave when it came to the alpha boss, we even had more time then they did in the video to defeat the boss, seems they weren't truthful about doing the alpha "many times", im guessing they did the omega not alpha cave with the method they were using.  thanks for the video WarpSpasm, it clearly showed what was done wrong :)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WarpSpasm said:

You are most welcome, glad it helped you. I haven't done any boss fights yet (only recently started breeding tek rexes on the island for bosses) but solo ascension scares the heck out of me.

ha yeah i know i'd probably fail solo ascension, speaking of, i need to find someone i can join the king titan battle with again :( still need to finish recovering my character from the great character wipe. The GM helped with getting some of the stuff back and getting all my imprints back so that saved alot of time there, but still need to redo all them bosses.  I'd hate to try to do alpha tek cave by myself, still looks pretty difficult,  i do need the cave though, as im stuck at level 105 now.  Someone offered to take me for a run for 50 element but i didn't have the element and i'd rather join in, cause thats half the fun.  So far I have alpha broodmother, alpha ape, beta manticore, and beta dragon done.  Soon i'll be heading in to a boss fight on Valguero with a tribe to do the alpha's, so that will get me the Alpha Dragon and Manticore, and the rest of my manticore armor skins :D, then its just rockwell, tek cave, and the titans on Extinction to do :)

EU-PVP-Official-[REDACTED]

I'd been hanging around the mountain for too long, picking up too much heat, so I packed up shop and moved out to Safehouse 3. It's a compact, bijou residence with a striking Cubist design.

No real pvp action to speak of for the last couple of days, I've mostly been keeping my head down and making pokeballs cryopods.

• Like 2

it was a slow day today, spent most of it hatching and raising Rexs, and painting rex saddles so I knew who had prim/ramshackle/journeyman/mastercraft. 

traded 12k worth of organic poly gacha crystals for a Black griffon clone with red underbelly and abit of red on its wings.  Thinking about going to extinction and farming some element veins so that I can clone this guy, only 14k shards needed.

• Like 2

Extinction, SP

Played short sessions throughout the last few weeks, but was able to spend a fair amount of time in Ark over the long weekend to finish projects.

Finished raising and imprinting my 5 member flock of Argys.  With over 1000 weight after imprint, they are excellent as carriers for metal runs.

Finished raising and imprinting a 5 member wolf pack.  They are from my Rag breeding line that has red body and feet with a black back stripe.  500 melee after imprint, so these guys are going to shred.  I have dubbed them the Knights of Tails; Sir Chewsalot and Madam Swift are the pack leaders.

I then tamed a snow owl, which came in handy to find the seemingly near-extinct Queen Bee.  Tamed the bee and set her up in my greenhouse. 

The bees took their jolly sweet time creating honey so I multitasked by popping out my breeder Rexs and set to work raising and imprinting 5 Rexs.  By the time the beginning of my Rex army was saddled, the bees had done their job.  I plopped down my new industrial cooker and made 5 veggie cakes.  The snow owl and I then hunted down a low level Achatina; we had to save it from 3 spiders.  Tamed it, and set it wandering in a Dino leash at base.  

Metal shortage problem - solved 

Paste shortage problem - solved

• Like 4

Official Valguero, PvP, all by myself

My usual griefer came calling yesterday as I was on.  As previously documented, he jpined my tribe as a level 4 and promptly killed me with the weapons that I gave him.  This time, he flew in on a dragon (probably a wyvern - I can't really tell between dragons except for Managarmrs) so I did not kill him on sight.  He spent a little while picking up my Stego and dropping it and then picking me up and dropping me.  I was shooting with my crossbow with tranq arrows (I had been taming a Ptera when he caught me outside) and when he was done playing (or maybe when his dragon started getting groggy from tranq arrows), he killed me with a shotgun.

The good thing is that he did not kill my Stego and did not loot my body or wreck my base (not sure if he could actually hurt stone).  It was no problem to respawn inside my base and wait until he gave up taunting and went away so that I could go collect the stuff on my body.  The bad thing is that even though i have a mastercraft shotgun (it was safe in my base while he was killing me), I really do not have adequate defenses against him other than hiding in my base.  My dinos in the pen are vulnerable to flyers unless I attempt to build a truly huge box with a large dino gate.  I suspect that the roof could not be built without foundations below it or lots of pillars in the middle of my pen.

I am debating giving up on this whole PvP thing.  I have tried it and have survived and prospered, but it is a real pain to do anything permanently.  I cannot keep any dinosaur too large to put in my house (I have a large hatchframe and can put small flyers like Pteros inside).  I may just move to a PvE Valguero server as I have heard that the neighbors are more friendly on PvE  ?  If I move to an offical PvE server, can I move back to am official PVP server in the future?  I would hate to lose the only PvP survivor that i have leveled up in case I want to return to PvP someday.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stretch11 said:

Official Valguero, PvP, all by myself

My usual griefer came calling yesterday as I was on.  As previously documented, he jpined my tribe as a level 4 and promptly killed me with the weapons that I gave him.  This time, he flew in on a dragon (probably a wyvern - I can't really tell between dragons except for Managarmrs) so I did not kill him on sight.  He spent a little while picking up my Stego and dropping it and then picking me up and dropping me.  I was shooting with my crossbow with tranq arrows (I had been taming a Ptera when he caught me outside) and when he was done playing (or maybe when his dragon started getting groggy from tranq arrows), he killed me with a shotgun.

The good thing is that he did not kill my Stego and did not loot my body or wreck my base (not sure if he could actually hurt stone).  It was no problem to respawn inside my base and wait until he gave up taunting and went away so that I could go collect the stuff on my body.  The bad thing is that even though i have a mastercraft shotgun (it was safe in my base while he was killing me), I really do not have adequate defenses against him other than hiding in my base.  My dinos in the pen are vulnerable to flyers unless I attempt to build a truly huge box with a large dino gate.  I suspect that the roof could not be built without foundations below it or lots of pillars in the middle of my pen.

I am debating giving up on this whole PvP thing.  I have tried it and have survived and prospered, but it is a real pain to do anything permanently.  I cannot keep any dinosaur too large to put in my house (I have a large hatchframe and can put small flyers like Pteros inside).  I may just move to a PvE Valguero server as I have heard that the neighbors are more friendly on PvE  ?  If I move to an offical PvE server, can I move back to am official PVP server in the future?  I would hate to lose the only PvP survivor that i have leveled up in case I want to return to PvP someday.

Hey Stretch, if you'll take some unsolicited advice from a fairly new solo surviver - rely on your base as little as you can, and be prepared to ditch it at short notice. You can always come back later. A wrecked base with no door that's been empty for a week can be safer than a brand new base, though anything of value is best stashed away elsewhere. Cryopods will (partially) solve the dino problem - 10 crystal, 15 fibre, 5 hide, 2 metal, 4 oil, 8 polymer and you can make them at a cargo beacon.

As a solo pvper you're always going to be outgunned, but sometimes you can outsmart the buggers. Good luck!

• Like 2

PS. Pro tip: gamma 4

PPS. One more pearl of wisdom, while I think of it. Don't get too hung up on tech that you don't absolutely need for survival or fighting. The real advantage of levelling up is being able to survive with less. Go back to basics, see what you can live without. In the immortal words of William Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic, "If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude."

And finally, hiding in your base is a perfectly acceptable military strategy. I've spent a fun twenty minutes taking potshots at a tiny man in pants who was quite frustrated that I wouldn't come down and fight him with a club like a man. ?

Final edit. With that said, a club is an absolute must in the arsenal. These zippy little guys want to get up close and personal before you can aim, but often can't take a punch.

Edited by chris282
Additional.
  • Like 1

I'm on PS4 and I'm stuck on AB so i built a new crab trap. Went egg hunting and found a few eggs (180, 175, 2 145's). Raised a 160 drake and two 100's as backup. Got pregnant by a 110 reaper and started doing metal runs down in blue. So being stuck has been good for me.  Made a couple of deals for 1002 melee rexs so now i have something to look forward too.

• Like 4

I continued with the Island base update. With the main base finished, I tore down the owl tower and old breeding barn. I layed down the ground work for the new breeding barn. Took a bit of fiddling but I got the cliff platforms down. The rest went up pretty quickly. Mostly happy with the build but am a bit unsure about the bare ground in the middle of the barn for maturing dinos. Its a bit of a mess with the cliff platforms and rocks, but shall see how it goes. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, chris282 said:

PS. Pro tip: gamma 4

PPS. One more pearl of wisdom, while I think of it. Don't get too hung up on tech that you don't absolutely need for survival or fighting. The real advantage of levelling up is being able to survive with less. Go back to basics, see what you can live without. In the immortal words of William Gibson's Johnny Mnemonic, "If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude."

And finally, hiding in your base is a perfectly acceptable military strategy. I've spent a fun twenty minutes taking potshots at a tiny man in pants who was quite frustrated that I wouldn't come down and fight him with a club like a man. ?

Final edit. With that said, a club is an absolute must in the arsenal. These zippy little guys want to get up close and personal before you can aim, but often can't take a punch.

I have given up so many bases, it is not funny.  I am perfectly familiar with starting from nothing over and over.  When I was on The Island, I had to build up a metal base bit by bit so that only C4 could get in (and there were plenty of griefers carrying C4).  I guess I am getting a little attached to this stone base which I have been able to maintain a few tame dinos.  I have not tried to Cryopod yet, but that sounds like it might be a useful option to keep my dinos safe and to raise them a bit at a time when I have an hour here and there.  Clubs sound nice, but I have preferred pikes and swords so far.  I can usually get to those technololgies in a few hours after starting from scratch.  Flak armor is nice, but I can make do with hide.  Crossbows are nice (rifles are nicer), but I can get by with bows.

I just have to decide whether my purpose in playing at the moment is about proving that I can outlast, outwit, etc. my fellow survivors or whether it is to beat the game and its dinos and bosses.

What do you mean by "gamma 4"?  Is this a setting to make the game run smoother?  My computer is running enough FPS.  Is it something to lighten the display?  I have cranked up the brightness of my TV to where I can see in pretty much every condition except the night/fog/rain condition on The Island.  The drawback is that i get crazy lens flares when the sun is low in the sky and I cannot stand to see myself in metal armor.

Thanks for the info and advice.

• Like 1

went osd hunting on extinction today, we found 4, first was a blue and gave a decent amount of loot, but mostly wood construction items.   Second was a yellow, got a nice bit of cryopods from it but most the items were blue as well as the blueprints,  third was a yellow and had a decent amount of loot in it, however one items showed as a "Tek Replicator" when we picked it up, it vanished from our inventory.

The last was a red, we were a little freaked as it was the first red we had tried by ourselves, though it went threw as a major success and got quite abit of nice loot from it, but again, another item showed as "Tek Replicator" and as soon as it was picked up, it vanished from our inventory. 

So this happened twice, we though "oh cool a tek replicator we can use!" but it just turned out to be a cruel joke thrown in our faces not once, but twice by wildcard.

After that we headed back to base after deploying some gasbag balloons to take a bunch of the loot back to base.  once there we put it all away and called it a night.

• Like 2

Extinction, SP

Went on a metal run for ~2.5k metal ingot worth.  Then wacked some lampposts and tables with a doedic for ~5k crystal and ~5k element dust.

I spotted a blue OSD and decided to give it a shot (I’ve not done an OSD before).  I brought one of my newly raised Tek Rexs and 2 wolves: Sir Chewsalot and Madam Shadow.  After several rounds I was very comfortable thinking this is easy.  But then, as the last wave starts, the sky darkens and the precursor fireflies of a meteor shower start to fall.  I debated giving up the OSD, but figured that trying to cryo my dinos as the wave of corrupted dinos hit was a bad idea, so I risked it.  OSD Completed.  As meteors crashed all around, I rushed around gathering the loot - most of which was useless, but I did get a few extra cryopods.  The main benefit was the confidence that I can handle the OSDs.

Safe back at base, I sorted all the loot and started looking through collected enforcer blueprints.  The best I have is an Asc level 110, but is very costly (13k element dust, but I only have 8k). A level 95 journeyman, however, had only slightly lower health and melee percentages, and was a third the cost.  I crafted this one, named it EN37.  It’ll make a good starter enforcer.

• Like 3