So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Well officially worst day ever, don't know can be worst than this. 

Player from our  server wanted to do beta king titan, and asked for support. 

He did his job by taming all 3 titans, so we schould only go in with gigas and meks. Fight started and everything was fine, we had him almost at 20 - 25% HP, than ping 255,  super punch and mine and all others gigas died, he wasn't able to stop him while charging. 

OK, respawn, go in again. After 1 minute again ping hit realy bad, but this time we got almost all DC. To make it short, nothing survived in king arena.  Well, things like this happens, it's beyond us, so I went home to craft some saddles (bought Rex bp before few days), during crafting, collecting and putting mats in replu I got dc again, wasn't able to join for 30-40  minutes because pc wasn't abble to load map, snapshot 10. 

When I finally managed to log on, I found myself dead. Everything was gone, Rex bp, long neck bp, nothing in  tribe log, just that I died. 

Done for today. 

• Sad 5

Bad day... 

On single player, I went to transfer supplies over to ragnarok and found that everything in the Obelisk was deleted. No idea how or why. I decided to try and transfer anyway, but when I hopped on Ragnarok, the items weren't there. 

While I was on Ragnarok I decided I would try to get another Griffin. I caged it successfully, and after knocking it out I left for a moment on my Wyvern to go grab prime meat... 

I barely went into another biome, and the griffin was despawned when I got back ?

It's only 10 a.m., but I think I'm done for a while

• Sad 2

Took some time away from the dev kit to work on my solo series (on a server, not in SP).

Saturday, I leveled and tested out the gamma overseer crew on the beta/alpha megapithecus and succeeded. So I decided to prep up for the actual tek cave + overseer fight on sunday.

Sunday, moved the crew at the entrance of said cave. Went in with 16 rexes (20k hp/550% dmg, 80 saddles), 3 theriz (same stats as the rexes) and 1 yuti. Took me about 45 mins to clear it (3/4 of the stuff can be sniped and dragged into the lava). Lost a single rex to the lava... stupid pathing IA.

The actual fight was surprisingly easier than expected (despite losing 14 dinos). Here is what you should know if you ever want to do it solo as I did :
- Ignore the defense units, unless your dinos are stuck in them.
- Ignore the drones, they hardly do any damage at all.

- Level your dinos into damage more than hp. The dragon phase will still take its toll no matter the hp of your creatures.

overseer_gamma.thumb.jpg.77ae6443dd589edac94b20ac5d04ccea.jpg

Beta overseer is next!

Edited by Darkholis
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

(SP Extinction?)

The metal base on the roof above the City Terminal is complete. Still trying to decide if I want to add turrets, but I don't think I'll really need them. Anyway, after wandering around almost got me killed last time, I decided to change things up. It's time to take a trip to Valguero.

I put Mortley and Myrtle in charge of the base while I'm gone (crosses fingers), grabbed my pteranodon (Triton), and flew down to the City Terminal below. Things started off well, like finding an old Lotto ticket in the pocket of your winter coat that turns out to be a winner well. I opened the terminal, and even though I had cleared my SP save data at the start of this play through, I had a bunch of rexes and saddles in there from a previous SP character. Woot! I proceeded to load Triton and the rest of my equipment into it before uploading my survivor (Slynn), and we were off.

Of course, I picked the islands area to spawn in, since I know it's safe. I constructed a small stone base, containing the essentials, tamed a female phiomia named, "Fridgina," to hold meat and berries, and then realized I still had my HLN-A skin on me. She popped into existence a few moments later. 

After looking around, she focused on me and said, "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto."

"Hmm. So, I'm a little dog?"

"Oh no, Dearie," she started, "He was much smarter than you." 

"Okay, thanks." Tick... Tock.... Tick... Tock... Tick... "WTH?"

Anyway, with a static place to re-spawn, I was ready to retrieve my stuff from an obelisk. After careful consideration, the fact that journeying to red obelisk was a purlovia risk, and journeying to blue obelisk was a yuty risk, led me to decide on Green! It was my favorite color when I was younger, after all, seeing as our currency is green. (Seriously, though, I was just trying to be cool when I told my parents this.) 

I swam from the island to the closest shore and began making my way in that direction. I tried crossing the water a couple times toward green obi (Hindsight roll: Nat 20. "Doh! Why didn't I make a raft?") but was forced back to shore by sharks, piranhas, and what looked to be some type of jellyfish rave. (I'm pretty sure that's what's happening at my base on Extinction right now. But instead of jellyfish, it's owls and otters.)

I entered the White Cliffs area with some trepidation and soon ran across a dilo. Deciding that I may have need of a distraction, I punched him senseless, and named him, "Goner". We traveled along the beach, eventually making it to a spot that looked safe to cross. Well, it was sort of safe. I was only attacked by one shark as I was nearing the opposite shore. Goner and I both made it. 

"I really didn't think you were going to make it this far," HLN-A said, before dialing her bookie. 

"Um..." Goner and I said looking at each other. Or at least, that's what I imagined him saying.

We followed a switchback, leading upward, the giant green obelisk hovering in the background. I ran afoul of a raptor shortly after reaching the top, but managed to defeat it. Unfortunately, Goner, perhaps living up to his name, was nowhere to be found afterward.  I pressed on, swimming through the lake with all the beavers. It was nearing 5:00pm by the time I left them behind and emerged on the opposite shore. 

Spear at the ready, I made my way to the obelisk. A raptor charged me as I was descending to the platform with the transmitter. Fumbling, I was actually able to change over to my bola and stop him before I was pounced. More hide was added to my supply, and then we were there. The first thing I did was remove, "Rexy," and put a saddle on her for protection. That was a good choice, too, seeing as I was attacked three separate times while getting Triton and my equipment out of there.

"I just can't win a bet for anything today," HLN-A commented after that last carno dropped. 

(So I ended up stumbling across a cave that is atop one of the nearby waterfalls and am in the process of making that my main base on Val. While doing so, I retraced my path and ran into Goner. Wagging his tail, he sprinted toward me, and it was a happy re-union. I might have to change his name, now, though. Any suggestions?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Couldn't help myself and spent some time again in the dev kit on the test map... Here is the current progress :

foliage.thumb.jpg.2156c7d70ffd8f02383385ea57da8f07.jpg

Next step, custom dino spawns & drops!

Land creatures of the starter region will include (Creatures not seen here will be part of the harder regions of the main map) :

image.thumb.png.a5bc9eca9eb43bdae84850deda13329a.png

+ jerboas

Edited by Darkholis
  • Like 7

Today i hopped on the offical Valgeuro server with no plans in mind, I'd been working hard on getting my base built there, found a nice flat spot in the chalk that wasn't pillared and after a few weeks its looking pretty nice, but i needed a break from the grind. 

so, i grabbed my argy and flew to the little dino pin I had built seprately up on the hillside close by, filled with mostly with horses I had gotten during the event.   I set the three unicorns to mate, and headed out on my argy.   I wandered about the map for awhile, and people on the server were being a little edgy, so i mostly kept to myself and flew around exploring areas I hadn't been to.

I spotted a 150 rex not to far from my base and decided to tame it, flew over close to it while it was busy chomping on a doedic, hopped off and took aim, after shooting it 3 times the rex proceeded to run away from me... wait... 3 shots with a crossbow? it should be chasing me... but I ended up chasing it, shooting it multiple times,  finally the rex stopped, let out its roar and i figured it would start chasing me, but nope, after it roared, it faced me, then ran off to the left, there i was chasing it again. by the time I finally knocked the rex out, it was almost at the front gate of my base,  I felt like i had chased it forever.  I stood there watching over it during the tame, only had to kill two raptors to keep it safe, and after it was done taming.... I found it had worse stats then the 130 i had tamed the previous day.

after that i wandered abit more, and one of my two tribemates logged in, they headed off to a cave to get some loot crates and I made a trade deal for a event color argy to breed with my argys, so i proceeded to collect wood back on the newb islands. apparently all hell broke lose in the cave between my tribemate and another tribe, their dinos were blocking the exit so he couldn't get out and things just escalated between them both from there, mostly because of a language barrier i think.  Anyhow after that was all calmed down, my other tribemate logged in and we all headed out to go do some caves, but due to miscommunication on what was at the caves, we weren't prepared, and it ended our joureny quickly.

Once again i found myself alone on the server as one tribe member headed to bed, and the other headed off to work. So i started wandering again, and came across a spino,  I was feeling a little bored so i decided to tame it even though it was only a lvl 20, perhaps i could get some eggs from her.  It was a pretty quick tame being it was still 2x, and afterwards I still had a bunch of mutton left, while heading back to base with spino I spotted a 135 ptera that was stuck in a trap, yep had to tame it. while i was taming that one 2 compy decided to run up and nip at my heals, couple trank darts later a 145, and 150 compy were out, hey, I had mutton why not? so i tamed them as well.  While waiting on the 135 ptera to finsh taming, a 145 landed right in front of me, bola'ed and proceeded to tame it as well. So the day wasn't a total loss.   Oh man the unicorns!

Headed back to base and had a few minutes to wait on the unicorns, after a short time out popped a 158 and a 111 unicorn baby.  I was happy, fed them some berries then cryo'ed them to take care of another day.   Fed my dino's and decided to call it a night.  still more to do on the base, but it was nice to take a breather from just building and wander around abit, even though i didn't have any idea what I wanted to do.

well... till the next day.

• Like 3

Flying back to base and spot a lone Daeodon. I'm at the stage where I needed to start thinking about getting troops ready for boss fights so I pull out the spyglass. Level 96 (max 120) not too bad, I can work with that, base is just over the hill so I scoop him up with my argy and drop him in the taming pen. Open up dododex (2x taming) and...yeah, nah, not even close to ready to have the stuff needed for the tame. Greedy bl**dy pigs... ?

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, IvyOfARK said:

Bad day... 

On single player, I went to transfer supplies over to ragnarok and found that everything in the Obelisk was deleted. No idea how or why. I decided to try and transfer anyway, but when I hopped on Ragnarok, the items weren't there. 

While I was on Ragnarok I decided I would try to get another Griffin. I caged it successfully, and after knocking it out I left for a moment on my Wyvern to go grab prime meat... 

I barely went into another biome, and the griffin was despawned when I got back ?

It's only 10 a.m., but I think I'm done for a while

IS it possible you uploaded them items into the wrong section of the OB?  There are 3 tabs item, dinos, and tributes.   Perhaps you loaded them into the Tribute section byb mistake?

16 hours ago, Chudz66 said:

(So I ended up stumbling across a cave that is atop one of the nearby waterfalls and am in the process of making that my main base on Val. While doing so, I retraced my path and ran into Goner. Wagging his tail, he sprinted toward me, and it was a happy re-union. I might have to change his name, now, though. Any suggestions?)

Well..... based on your track record, "Goner" seems appropriate!   lol

• Haha 2

PS4 - Unofficial cluster

Well last night the 2nd in command Admin on the cluster retired. I'm feeling more guilty about saying no to the admin offer, but I will just make sure to set a good example by being a patient and helpful player, and assist noobs when the admins aren't on.

This weekend was a Easter color event on Extinction and Valentines on Island.

So naturally I spent most of Saturday taming owls in the snow biome.  I know it is kind of cheating, but I tamed up a event owl that had the last Cyan zone that I had been missing for a month. Was able to breed that zone in on Sunday, and now have a breeding pair of solid Cyan owls.

On Saturday evening, the admins had a paint party on Ragnarok. Every paint party I've attended before on servers, the dinos had to be either unbreedable (wyverns/Griffins) or neutured/spayed.   But that wasn't a rule this time.

So I took a breeding pair of my identical max level owls, and had them painted all albino white in every zone.  I figured with all white breeders going forward, the color mutations will really stand out when hatched. (My current max level breeders all have brown shoulders, grey wings and white chest and stripes.)

Not wanting to take the fun out of breeding for colors in the future with other dinos, I only had a wyvern and a Griffin painted beside the breeder owls.  I had my fire wyvern painted black in the body and then blaze orange in the wings and belly.  Looks AWESOME.  I also had a Griffin painted black body with neon green wings and chest.

My buddy who already had the vast majority of Gigas in color mutations, had them make him an all black giga, and then he spent the weekend breeding up color mixes on the Island taking advantage of the event timer bonus. 

I managed to tame a event owl that is Chocolate brown everywhere but the chest, which is more of a caramel brown.  I think I have a chocolate chest owl in cryo, so I should be able to make a solid chocolate soon.

I tamed an owl that had a slightly different red (watermelon) in its chest, and a lighter  yellow wings than my yellow solid, so looks like I have more colors to breed to all solid.

I then spent most of my ARK time on Sunday building the main house base on Valguerro in my new location, and then moving supplies/dinos from the old base location to the new one. Thankfully the distance between the two is not far, but it is over water, so I had to cryo all the dinos for transport.  So for most of the evening, I had about 50 sleeping rexs, allos, yutys, wyverns, manas and Rock Drake.  It was a weird sound to try and build with a constant barrage of "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" ringing thruout my base.

I still have to build a breeding/storage barn or two for the larger dinos, but the main house is done, and 85% of the supplies & items transferred over from old base.

I sure hope that there are some event dinos still alive on Extinction tonight, as I want a few more color options, and I need to find a high level colored MegaSloth to breed to my max level brown female.   My buddy wants to try them in a cave with a lot of Arthos.

By the way, my new buddy that got hooked on Owls had to crypod a bunch on Sunday, as he reached his tame limit, and it is 99% just owls. LOL, he is addicted just like me.

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, chris282 said:

Quick update from the EU-PVP-Official-[REDACTED] front line: I have mostly been collecting berries and writing letters to the widows of enlisted Parasaurs. The war machine feeds on blood and narcoberries.

Haven you considered just mass printing a sympathy letter.  I'm guessing it will save you a lot of time.

"Dear Mrs. Parasaur Ryan,

I'm writing to you today, to let you know of the valiant way your son died in battle today.

Seems we had a little communication error, and your son ran left, when I said right, and well..... he dead.

But in now way, shape or form, am I as his commanding officer to be blamed. He just wouldn't follow directions.

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

PS4 - Unofficial Cluster

Spent the majority of my time on Extinction. Went back to the snow biome to try and tame any Owls leftover from the weekend Easter event on the map.  Sadly, only found 1 colored Owl, as it seems everyone else was looking for owls too.  But I did find a couple more high level MegaSloths, and also while not planning on it, kept getting attacked by leftover colored manas. I was able to trap and tame 5-6 different colored ones, including yellow, mint, brown, and orange ones.  Now to just breed them with my high level manas, to get the color on better level manas.

• Like 4

Watched the students leave the game because school is starting up / started up.  Watched their buildings go poof.  Watched the general chat go dead.  Ark is to grindy for them to afford to stay invested and have enough time for school work.  Pondered how you would make a game less grindy yet remain interesting.  Fly around and collect junk from supply drops because to exhausted sleep deprivation commit brain functions.  Not Ark's fault just have insomnia.  Wondered if humans require act of greed to remain amused.  Assessed games are actually played by adults and the young people come and go like waves crashing on the shore.  Then they grow up, graduate, and become my dentist who charged me more money than a russian tsar to get my teeth worked on.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Dear Mrs Parasaur Butcher,

I regret to inform you that your son has died in the line of duty.

The cause of death has been recorded as:

1. Sacrificed self to save superior officer [  ]
  2. Heroic last stand in face of overwhelming odds [  ]
  3. Collateral damage in routine mining operation [X]
  4. Shot self in back of head (bullet) [  ]
  5. Shot self in back of head (arrow) [  ]
  6. Shot self in back of head (rock or bludgeoning instrument) [  ]
  7. "Food shortage" [  ]
  8. Miscellaneous [  ]

As a token of our appreciation for his service, Private Butcher has been posthumously awarded the not applicable.

Yrs etc, and could you get that out for the lunchtime post please, thank you Margaret.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Extinction, Singleplayer, PS4

Built a greenhouse and started growing veggies.

Made a trip to the sunken forest to tame Gachas.  2 of the 3 I tamed produce oil, so my oil shortage problem is now solved.  1 of them also produce black pearls, which will be useful later.

Also made my first real journey in the waste by flying around the southwest corner of the map in search of a dung beetle.  My fire wyvern, Reckoning, had no trouble dealing with the mobs of corrupted dinos, but the heat was slowly killing my character.  So I jumped over to the desert biome for silk.  Now I have a full set of desert gear.

• Like 5

Finally, the Linux version of ARK client was updated and for the last couple of days I have been trying to build a safe place in PvP Valguero.  I estimate 20-30 deaths per day, but now I can find my way back to my stronghold blindfolded from any spawn point.  I discovered that you can drop any amount of distance into water as long as you miss rocks.  About half my paths back home included diving off of the White Cliffs.  I built a 1x1x1 stone cube in which to respawn, but I died before I could build a bed for it.  The rest of the day was spent respawning and trying to make it back to my cube.  I gave up on day 2 and cowered in place for a while.  There are a lot of box canyons in the White Cliffs and some are narrow enough to build a wall across them with only a few walls.  There were some rocks at the back of the canyon in which I was cowering behind which to hide and none of the carnivores seemed to wander too close.  I built a foundation , a bed, and a storage box behind the rocks and called it my hideaway.

I spent the rest of day 2 gathering resources for my walls.  I would peek out from behind the rocks.  If the Allosaurs, Raptors, and Dienonychus (ARD) were far enough away, I would run like mad for a tree or rock, gather some resources, and return.  I would deposit everything in the box and run out again.  If ARD caught me while I was out, I was only down a pick and a hatchet.

I decided to use stone fence supports to make the fence level.  While I was putting up the last few fence supports, an Anky wandered into my area and so I just trapped him in there.  I will tame him later and he is not really bothering anything.  I built a stone dino gate and built up two rows of stone walls.  At last I had some breathing room.  I built a forge and am still working on getting the resources for a smithy so that i can use the metal that I have gathered along with the rocks and flint.  An Allo came over my two-high wall, but he just chewed on my trapped Anky and then left without bothering me.  I really need the third and fourth course of rock to keep out bigger dinos.  I wonder how high Dienonys can jump?

Wild dinos keep falling off the cliff above my base into my base.  Fortunately, they have all been nonagressive herbivores, but I am not set up yet to keep them after taming.  They all seem to despawn in a few game days except for the original Anky which has been around for a couple of real days so far.  I should be able to use this to safely tame a few dinos without having to guard them outside.  I have had the following drop into my base:  Sheep, horses, lots of kangaroos, and an armadillo.

The next canyon over is walled off with a giant dino gate and I have not seen any movement from them since I got here a few days ago.  I do not know if they are AWOL or just infrequent.  I hope they do not take offense to my closeness and trash my base.  Although I have defenses against dinos, people can get in easily by going up a little trail and jumping.  The thing that I like the most about Valguero is that everyone is so busy trying to survive the tremendously aggressive and numerous carnivores that there is hardly any time to snipe each other or destroy bases.

Ironically after I started wandering a bit further from my base as I gained confidence, I discovered thay my original 1x1x1 stone cube was almost in sight from my dino gate.  I had almost made it home before I gave up, but it resulted in a much better home.

• Like 7

Spent most of my time recently slowly progressing on Valguero, adding bits and bobs to our base.  Also expanded our metal farming out a little bit, I think it might double up as our water tame base as the cave seems to have access into the deep water trench. Got some basilos in cryo ready for when we decide to do some diving.

I raised up a few velonosaurs, mainly for base defense just in case we have a rock golem make it inside our base, I really doubt the guard allos could cope with that. I also ran about for a bit killong small and medium carnivores, with our new server settings they are now dropping stone blue prints and I want a couple of full sets. Think I got most of the good peices apart from the ceiling, cant wait to set up a vault or two with the blue prints in them to mass craft stone structures. Also funny experience and not sure if its a Valguero thing or just a mucked up server setting. I yet again spotted another group of Deinonychus fall out of the sky at 50 50, I spotted this a few nights ago and though it could have been a one off, but nope those deinos keep on falling out the sky lol

Also been slowly thinking about the artifacts. Got the three scorched artifacts at the moment; the destroyer, gatekeeper and the crag. I remebered that apparently the drake trench is only spawning ice wyverns at the moment, so I decided to take advantage of that and grab myself an easy Skylord. So I grabed my rock drake and otter and went to the drake trench. Made it past the ice wyverns (I mean with cloaking its easy) and inside the trench but disaster struck in the main chamber. After stoping for stamina I attempted to jump from a perch to a main wall but of course with the drakes being a drake, it instead tripped over the rock and we ended up in the lava. RIP me and my Otter Buizel. Havent had a death message yet for the drake, not sure what position its in but I am not in a position to be attempting a rescue mission, so RIP Salamence too, thankfully I had a spare drake in cryo. Took the disaster as a cue and called it a night.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Made quite a lot of progress in the dev kit, regarding the ice-themed test map. All creature spawns for the main land as well as icebergs are 100% complete.

Tonight, I also finished all my custom loot tables for the supply crates. However, drops placement needs to be completed.
I'll finish them up and place player spawns in a day or two. Map should be out for testing by friends/familly in a few days.

My TODO list before public test release :
- Add SFX.
- Fully create/implement my snow structures tier (Resources already in the map).
- Lower ocean floor in order to spawn dunkleosteus, plesios, etc.
- Add ocean floor meshes. (I already have a trench concept for resources).
- Get started on the inland caves network
. (Which also acts as the entrance/proving grounds towards the mini-Ab zone.)
- Get started on said mini-Ab zone. Still debating if I'll go heavy swamp or ice cave themed on that one... Let's go nuts and make it a frozen Aberration according to my map theme!

Edited by Darkholis
  • Like 7

Operation Mindwipe has been a rousing success. Here's to all the brave dinos who lost their lives ensuring I could rectify that stat point I put into Food.

Operation Cry Havoc And Release The Dogs Of War will resume until further notice.

Operation We Really Need To Do Something About The Egg Situation is currently awaiting review.

Edited by chris282
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Valguero, Official, PvP, all by myself.

I gave up on building a home in the White Cliffs area.  Even if I made it totally inacessible, I cannot just walk out the front door.  Being at the end of a box canyon with the rest of the canyon full of Allos and Raptors is not conducive to starting out by myself.  Every spawn point in the region had Allos camping out around my dead corpses and my death beacons littered the landscape like Christmas lights.  Perhaps when i get more resources and some larger dinos (or any dinos for that matter), I will come back and reclaim my partially-built fortress.  I also kept having my stone foundations disappear along with everything on them like mortar and pestle, forge, drying rack (or whatever the cheap fridge substitute is called).  I think that maybe it is because I did not have enough other structure around them for the game to consider it a "house".  I do not remember this mechanic from The Island.  If I built a foundation and put a forge on it, it was there the next day when I logged in.  Maybe Valguero has different rules about decay or something.  Is was not due to dino or player damage.

Anyway, after my 20th (or so) death yesterday, I gave up and respawned back at the Small Islands.  I found a relatively sharkless spot and swam over to the Redwoods area.  I have not had any issues gathering resources and have not seen an aggressive dino all day.  I will camp out here and gather more resources before attempting a new journey to the White Cliffs.  Redwoods are great!  They give more than 100 wood or thatch each.  Much better than the measly 5-10 for each Acacia tree in the White Cliffs.

• Like 4