So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Ragnarok Unofficial Server

Started off by grinding out a new stone taming raft. Nicked @SaltyMonkeys design and went as far as finding the right video on youtube for the tutorial. Went with the 4x7 raft, with the 4x4 section with dino gates for the trap. I took my utility raft and an equus to the islands north of my setup to do some resource gathering, deforested the islands and mined as much stone as possible. Also found some silk plants and harvested them to craft up some of my favourite desert armour. Tragedy struck, just as I left the north island to go back to base, a sarco ambushed me on the raft. It must have wandered across from the swamps in the north. I fended it off but not before it destryoyed a few boxes and killed my equus. RIP Rusty. Thankfully I didnt lose any of the farmed resources. Am so glad I tamed up two equus when I did. Got back to base and built the new raft.

Took the new raft for a spin and to look for things to tame. After a few laps of the SW islands I spotted a direwolf and baited it into the trap. I got lucky and it was a 130 female and so I knocked it out and tamed it up with prime meat from stegos. To the north on the mainland I put a bit of effort in and tamed up a ichtyornis. Knocked a nice black and white one out and then crossbowed a few megalodons for prime fish to tame the gull up. 

Direwolfs are squishier than I remember, so I found a pack of allos and knocked out a 145 allo in the taming raft. Tamed it up and then realised that I needed 2 more levels to craft up the saddle. So wont be riding that quiet yet. Tamed a 145 pteranodon I spotted hanging around near my base.

For the final tame of the night I found a 130 throny dragon in the south, so I kited it and of course its pal into the raft. I missed judged the kite a bit and both landed right ontop of me when they fell into the trap pinning me inplace, unable to moved they shredded my armour and killed me. I respawned and killed the level 30 and knocked out the 130 and took it back to base unconscious. I had to farm prime meat on the mainland using my ichtyornis to hunt dodos, thank goodness for the stack settings for the server. Tamed up the thorny and called it a night. 

I have done alot of taming but yet little advancing in technology. Still living out my utility raft and my little shack on the island. Once I have tamed up a doed I had better start making moves into electrical equipment.

• Like 3

Found a level 180 Tek Quetzal and solo tamed it in mid-air. 

Also completed a griffin trap that catches them with super ease. Basically you just get them mad at you and park right by the cage. They fly around in wide circles attacking you and... boom! Et voila. 

Edit: Big day. Tamed the lvl 180 Tek Quetzal, 4 x Griffins (130,135,145,145), 140 Anky, and 145 Argie. 

Lvl180 Tek Quetzal.jpg

griffin_trap.jpg

Edited by DeHammer
  • Like 4

Got on to see the servers were having a bit of a fritz, luckily our Center server was okay! 

Had planned to continue my new Rag guy but ARK gods had other plans! Logged on TC. Went about collecting my snail paste, checking a few troughs around base and bred together some Ptera eggs ive been holding onto for over 6 months. Went over to each outpost and threw 100 element in each genny, did a fly about for a few tames (nothing interesting) and went back to base to tend to my Pteras.

Im still not sure which direction I want to go on my Ragnarok playthrough. I know I want something self imposed and different (for a bit) Im going to focus on raft life for a bit for sure. Our tribe has been The Islanders for awhile across multiple servers, since Saltire settled on those islands im thinking thats a good set off point. So far im thinking: Raft focus, I dont really want to rely on fliers this time. I plan to do different breed projects to supplement my other servers, to do this I need self imposed boundries. Torn between Only Mammals and No Carnovours. If I do the latter I can still get one flier to possibly steal wyvern eggs (Pelagornis - piscavour) to 'trade' to my other servers for goodies. I could also use two of my favorites, Baryonyx and Spino (another line im lacking good progress with) Ive done a no mammal before, I do need to work on Megatherium aswell. 

Typing this out made my mind. Im going semi-primitive (tribe wont be - only my personal build) Raft-focused, Island-focused only fish & berry tames. Keeps me away from meta dinos, most fliers and keeps me near the sea. Also not sharing with other servers unless I can form a fair trade with myself.

This is just self imposed so @AngrySaltire doesnt have to follow it, I think the synergy would be interesting with his style of build

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Our tribe has been The Islanders for awhile across multiple servers, since Saltire settled on those islands im thinking thats a good set off point. So far im thinking: Raft focus, I dont really want to rely on fliers this time. . 

Typing this out made my mind. Im going semi-primitive (tribe wont be - only my personal build) Raft-focused, Island-focused only fish & berry tames. Keeps me away from meta dinos, most fliers and keeps me near the sea. 

This is just self imposed so @AngrySaltire doesnt have to follow it, I think the synergy would be interesting with his style of build

I have a feeling my current build will suit this Island playthrough of yours. I shall post a screenshot at somepoint. Saying that the current build couldnt accomodate spinos. For my own play through I was thinking of focusing on primitive building and the like, in various locations taking advantage of the various ruins and beauty spots about the map.

Am unsure about following the fish and berry tame restriction, I have already tamed up a few carnivores and I just have to have a thyla for ground game lol, although I am definitely avoiding flyers atm even though I have tamed up a ptera already but I would like to nick wyvern eggs too for the other servers. Definatly holding back on the argy and griffin tame. I shall mull it over.

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

If I do the latter I can still get one flier to possibly steal wyvern eggs (Pelagornis - piscavour) to 'trade' to my other servers for goodies.

This I have to see. 

P.s. About this piscovore and berry restriction. Whats your plan on pure ocean going tames ? None of them are pure piscivores yet they could suit your play through ? Or would spinos and barys suffice ?

P.P.S The temptation to build an aircraft carrier for pelagornis is is strong

Edited by AngrySaltire
  • Like 2

Ragnarok - Unofficial.

Spent most of the day on Ark. Ended up looking after the house while the folks were away for the day, we're getting the kitchen refitted, such fun and games. Started of on a taming spree and took the taming raft to the SW islands. Spotted two doeds (145 f and 40 m) and got both of them into the taming trap. Downed and tamed both of them.

Finally hit level 67 for the allo saddle. At which point I saddled up and went hunting back in the south west islands. Spotted an ovis and killed it for mutton and lamb chops. Killed some small and medium sized creatures which now drop z seeds (unofficial setting) so I could tame up some of the glowpets now spawning on jerboa island (again unofficial setting). Tamed up two shinehorns and a nice blue featherlight. The featherlight is so getting transfered to the center. 

Noticed a 135 thylo wandering around so I dashed back to base and got the taming raft. Lured the thylo into the raft and knocked it out. I had to waken up the thylo as I put an arrow into it just as it went down, but I knocked it out again and tamed it up. 

Ground out the rest of the night on the build. Started of by building the perimeter fence and installing gates at appropriate points. Sunk foundations on each level of the ruins and built individual rooms. Its messy in bits but overall I like it. Still need to decide what function each room will server. I shall probably build a breeding room off one of the current rooms but thats a plan for another night. D1nks currently turning the bigger room into a makeshift crafting area. Finished off by building a lighthouse style building, the location was begging for a lighthouse for the docks and that hill was begging for a tower of some sort.

rps20190406_232553.thumb.jpg.1e5b2ea11fcd2bf31f782a196fbb2835.jpg

• Like 2

Got on for more time than I thought today, our plans got cancelled and we ended up sitting around! 

Logged in Rag and boated to find the island Saltire is building at to tribe up. After awhile managed to find it, loving the build and built in docks! 

Messed around while waiting, farmed up a bunch of narcs with my Equus then knocked out a random Trike. When Saltire logged in we tribed up and I went to find a Pelagornis. After a few failed attempts on water I landed at Obsidian isl and found a level 55. I was using rare flowers and Bola. As I was tending to it I spotted a 150 in the distance, knocked that out (and fought two angry phiomia, hilarious) Saw another 135 female in the distance, tamed that too. Saltire brought me some fish prime and we tamed em.

Did some farming around base, made some stuff for the crafting room. After saltire logged I did a big stone and wood run. Premade some stone and filled some boxes. Made some more narcs, hatched a few pelagornis eggs by standing torch. Got twins with all stats and an orange body stamina mut. Imprinted them for quick transports and an extra for body recovery. Good thing.

Made a tame addition to my boat, a small 2x4 pen and went to the swamp area to try and get a baryonyx. That went real bad. Died 4 or 5 times, crabs, karpros, sarcos.. the whole works. Used my body recovery pelagornis and after a good hour dodging death made it home and logged.

I finally defined the temporary rules. Mammals and Fish eaters only for me. Saltire is going to grab an Argy too.. I think its probably a good idea after the swamp chaos.. 

Edited by d1nk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, d1nk said:

I finally defined the temporary rules. Mammals and Fish eaters only for me. Saltire is going to grab an Argy too.. I think its probably a good idea after the swamp chaos.. 

I shall tame white and brown ones, pretend they are ospreys and force feed them fish.

Jokes aside, while I dont think I will follow the same restrictions, I am relishing the idea with focusing on raft or motorboats builds. Keep coming up with different potential builds, such as the aircraft carrier/ resource farming boat I keep harping on about, to maybe attempting to build wyvern traps on an motor boat (if its possible) and a few gun boats to assist the wyvern trap. Am going to have to farm alot of metal. Need to work out if the raft/motorboat structure limits are vanilla or increased.

Edited by AngrySaltire
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I shall tame white and brown ones, pretend they are ospreys and force feed them fish.

Jokes aside, while I dont think I will follow the same restrictions, I am relishing the idea with focusing on raft or motorboats builds. Keep coming up with different potential builds, such as the aircraft carrier/ resource farming boat I keep harping on about, to maybe attempting to build wyvern traps on an motor boat (if its possible) and a few gun boats to assist the wyvern trap. Am going to have to farm alot of metal. Need to work out if the raft/motorboat structure limits are vanilla or increased.

2x platform structure limit. 88 x2 for rafts and 138 x2 for motorboats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@d1nk I’m kind of with you on setting limits for myself on the Ragnarok play through. I’m avoiding Wyverns for as long as I can so it forces me to tame other flyers. I’ll only tame a Griffin when I want a Quetzal.

Ragnarok - Private Xbox Cluster

Decided to set up camp on the island just south of the eastern swamp. Originally I had planned to sail into the desert and go from there but decided against it in the end but with a plan to move there once I’m more advanced. I started out with no tames that day but tamed a Bulbdog, Jerboa, Doedi, Trike, Pteranodon, Anklo, and Thorny Dragon. The Bulbdog provides light, the Jerboa is useful in the desert for the rare weather effects, and the rest are for good utility purposes.

Next session, I’ll be setting up the basics on my first camp so I can start preppeing for a more permanent move to my desert location. I may even travel around the map, only taming necessary creatures for the journey.

• Like 2

After a long busy week that kept me from playing, disaster struck in the form of the PAX plague. I ended up cancelling all of my weekend plans so, might as well play Ark...

I also had some bad news from tribemate M, he is going to be unavailable for some time to come. So I'm going to be playing solo, which is fine. I was a solo player for my first 2 years on a server. If anything it's even easier these days with the kibble tree changes and most unofficials running S+ even with Homestead integration.

With plans going awry in every direction, upon logging in yesterday morning I decided my best option was to move to the Ragnarok map. I left the almost-empty houseboat behind as I'll come back later to establish an outpost for boss runs at some point. Then picked the first spawn in Rag and immediately spawn in someone's base. Luckily they are the courteous sort and had left their gates unlocked so I was able to exit and make my way to the blue obelisk, where I proceeded to retrieve my anky, build a new raft out of range, then move all of my stuff. The raft is incredibly ungainly but I built it into a taming/dino pen with a split level cabin alongside to fit all of the basics in. Have to use camera view to move and the map to steer.

Now, I did actually try to enact my plan to simply buy an argentavis. As expected, the first response was about babies not being hard to raise. I know! I've raised dozens of birds, and watched M raise hundreds while I raised a spino army. That's not the point...anyway, by the time I got any serious offers I had already sailed down the coast and tamed essentially the first not-ugly argent I saw. No spyglass because I couldn't find any cursed crystal, but he was a 95 so that was serviceable. Raw meat tame, thoroughly boring but since he didn't need narcs I dozed until he was ready.

Then I saddled him and went in search of crystal for a spyglass. Checked the first doed I came across, 135. Heck yeah I'll take it. Carried it back to the raft, got it in, anky out, made darts and got the doed down. It was another thoroughly boring hour+ on mejos, but every time I start on The Island I end up with like a level 20 doed so yes I did want a good one for a change.

Feeling rather fatigued, I sailed all the way back up to the blue ob with my small team and took a nap for the afternoon. I know the area around the ob is completely safe due to the bases and large number of rafts parked around it for console access.

Later in the afternoon I logged back in and decided I wanted a thorny dragon instead of a beaver, so I flew my bird all the way back across the map. Found one, quickly regretted my decision. They are way faster than I expected. So we retreated and I went for a boring old beaver instead, but not before raiding some unlocked oil pumps to secure 1500 oil, aka a good start. There's still plenty more, the bird just couldn't carry all of it. Picked up the first beaver I saw, a level 95, flew him all the way up to my raft, KO'd him and had another boring tame, beavers are honestly easy with narcoberries, farmed handily by the anky. I also farmed some metal, then realized I didn't have enough paste for the beaver saddle.

So once the beaver tamed we took another long flight out to that area with a ton of beavers and dams and went on a raiding spree. 1500 paste later we made it back to the raft, made the saddle and I'm basically ready to find somewhere to build an actual base now. I kind of want to do a jungle base but we'll see what's available for spots. I packed everything up at that point cause I was tired again, leaving it for the next day.

The next day is today of course, so I'm going to be spending the day scouting and base building most likely, now that I have a set of utility animals. It always annoys me that people get a little judgy about someone wanting to buy animals to actually, you know, use them. It's not like I was begging for freebies, I spent a considerable amount of time farming to pay for them properly! Well, I'll just invest all that metal in an industrial forge instead.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

@d1nk I’m kind of with you on setting limits for myself on the Ragnarok play through. I’m avoiding Wyverns for as long as I can so it forces me to tame other flyers. I’ll only tame a Griffin when I want a Quetzal.

Ragnarok - Private Xbox Cluster

Decided to set up camp on the island just south of the eastern swamp. Originally I had planned to sail into the desert and go from there but decided against it in the end but with a plan to move there once I’m more advanced. I started out with no tames that day but tamed a Bulbdog, Jerboa, Doedi, Trike, Pteranodon, Anklo, and Thorny Dragon. The Bulbdog provides light, the Jerboa is useful in the desert for the rare weather effects, and the rest are for good utility purposes.

Next session, I’ll be setting up the basics on my first camp so I can start preppeing for a more permanent move to my desert location. I may even travel around the map, only taming necessary creatures for the journey.

Thats funny, my main build plans are in the desert too. Going to hit up the desert ruin, that farm Saltire built in last Rag.. unless I come up with a good plan for that half castle

• Like 2

Ragnarok Unofficial 

Continued the island build tonight. I could feel d1nk on the other side of the Atlantic itching to get breeding , so I added a breeding barn onto the side of the crafting area/cellar. Got the shell down but I havent furnished it yet. I really need to get a move on and start crafting up electronics and industrial stuff.

After a bit more touching up around the base I adapted the taming raft to trap flyers and went to the south island where argys spawned. Used my ptera and spotted a 150 male argy on the mountain so lured it back to the trap and downed it. Took it back to base and tamed it up. Went back for a female and spotted a 135 female in the same place, so got that into the trap and took it back to tame up. Put both aside to mate and got a clutch of eggs for hatching later.

Still trying to decide the functions of the different rooms. I think I'll turn the lower level into a generator room and/or log out room. Annoying when playing about with various layouts trying to turn the second level into a bedroom/storage area,  I discovered that when building the second level, I sunk the foundations one too many times and that I can not place any structures on this level at all. And because I lowered the foundations too far them to far I can not pick them up to rectify the problem. I shall probably have to ask the admin to come along and remove the foundations in ghost mode.... such a sily mistake. Am just glad the way I built the build that removing the second level should not impact the first and third levels.

Edited by AngrySaltire
  • Like 2

Having self diagnosed myself with an absolutely miserable case of strep throat, I spent the day in Ark taking my mind off of it. Basically just doing my best to keep the fever down until I can get to the doctor tomorrow morning.

First thing I took the bird out to scout for a base location. As I expected, most of the area where I wanted to build was dense with bases in varying degrees of complexity. It seems like everything just spawns in and builds around Viking Bay. We circled further out afield and managed to find and kill a sheep, which will become important later. Ever the opportunist, I'm always keeping an eye out for anything useful.

Eventually I found a spot, it's rather isolated and honestly a bit desolate. Almost nothing seems to spawn here, although there is a local allo spawn point nearby. It's a fairly prominent rocky outcrop overlooking large stone pillar formations on the coast, I didn't think to get any screenshots but it's a recognizable location. Just far enough out that newbies won't want to build here, as there is the occasional wandering argent overhead.

I went back to the raft, sailed over and carried my tames up to get to work. All morning I built my new base, occasionally fending off said argents when they wandered too close. Also lured an allo pack over the cliff edge just to get them out of my way. Not much to describe really. It's a base, made out of stone, big enough for now but will need expansion later.

Once we finished building it was time to move everything from the raft. This is where I made a fatal mistake. I had taken note that one of the allos was a 135 female with potentially breedable stamina so I was thinking about mutton taming her later on. They weren't really moving around so I stopped watching them. Next thing I knew I was trapped in my raft with my argent, all 3 allos snapping at us through the walls. One somehow managed to get into the top part of the raft, don't even know. I fought valiantly and almost killed one via pike applied liberally to the facial regions, but to no avail. I died, and realized my second mistake. I hadn't put a bed down in the new base, only the one on the raft was there. Respawned, died almost immediately, was hoping to at least save the bird. She died while I was running back after respawning at a player spawn some ways away.

But in all of the commotion, global chat stirred. My misfortune had not gone unnoticed. Someone with a wyvern asked me what was going on and I explained the situation. They killed two of the allos and generously airlifted the alpha allo to a nearby taming pen, offering to tame it for me. Remember the mutton? I managed to salvage it from my bird's corpse and offered it as payment. 45 mutton after spoilage, more than enough for the allo and payment for the tame. While they did that, I frantically salvaged my 3.5k ingots from the smithy that was broken by the pack. A calm mind will prevail most of the time. But in my haste I didn't notice there is no easy path up to my base on foot so I had to go around and follow the path. Luckily I got my anky and cheesed it up the cliff, ankys are surprisingly good at that. My new friend, meanwhile, also downed a 150 argent flying nearby to replace my lost bird.

Long story slightly shorter, I saved all of my gear and items, a replacement argent, and an allo. The argent also has impressively good breeding stats. A fair enough trade, there was enough mutton left for at least one more high level tame, and they said they might call on me later, which is fine.

Much of the rest of the day was spent farming, including another run out to the oil pumps. I also got a nice level beetle after fighting off seemingly every carnivore within a mile of that particular beetle. I've got my crafting stations, electricity, and starting to grow crops. This is a surprisingly nice spot really, within easy flying distance of almost anything I might need for raw mats, except for cactus sap and sulfur, but I was out that way anyways so I've got plenty of propellant to run my item collector now. I also returned the kindness by making said new friend a quetz saddle, they used the mutton to tame a 140 that I had scouted in the area while out and about.

All in all, a long and excellent day. I have the bare bones so now it's all about infrastructure and supplies. In short, a whole lot of hurry up and wait for the immediate future. Which is fine heading into the week. I'll be on call but not actually at work tomorrow so I will probably continue working on some of these projects that require a long lead time to get results.

• Like 4

(Gonna try my usual narrative style for the official server. Why not! Seems fun!)

#1 #2 #3

It's been a grueling first week on this new ARK. I only spent one day alone, but even with the help of my one new friend, it's been... difficult. Refreshingly so, however. I have spent a little too long being comforted by the pampering of some friends on another ARK.... I'm glad to have finally found the time and materials to write down my adventures.

Following Helena's journals and the myriad other survivors I have encountered across the few other ARKs I have transiently moved through, I have a basic understanding of their mechanics, and how they operate. This experience, however, is new... Most of my ARKs have stuck me isolated and alone on the Island, or with a small, select group of friends. I ventured into more densely populated ARKs here and there only to make the quickest beeline I could for the obelisk, to quickly forget about this ARK altogether. It's a miserable existence, understanding the multitudes of ARKs out there, and that none of them mean much of anything in the grand scheme of things...

But, this is different. This one isn't so densely populated, but there certainly are people. They seem more apt to trade and discuss than draw their spears immediately, though I've certainly witnessed a couple flare-up of tempers. Nothing that resulted in devastating casualties, however. Nobody has approached me nor my friend in a hostile manner, really. Several have offered their assistance, actually! One helped us befriend several creatures, and yet more helped us befriend the fantastical griffin. Despite having owned one in a previous ARK, it still blows my mind that such a creature graces the harrowing ARKs... and that it is willing to accept human command.

Despite the streak of good favor in between the brutal, ruthless deaths, I can't shake the bitter taste the ARK still leaves in my mouth til this day. Many have moved past this, and understand this is their life now. Many don't seem interested in leaving any time soon, and even enjoy the time they spend here. Personally, I still want to find out how to go home. Though, I understand the reluctance... I have no idea if "home" even still exists, and it is a painful thought to leave behind all of my creatures, my friends. 

But just as the ARK can give friends, it takes. My first friends on this one were laughably destroyed, one after the other. First Courier, a megaloceros, then Pinstripe, a parasaur... then Moonside, and Spry, both also parasaurs... And poor Lucille, my first raptor here... Algae, Lucitania, again, parasaurs.. Those are just the ones I lost before my friend joined me. She lost a little dodo she had named Plankton shortly after that.

I need to remember their names so once I can begin the graveyard, I have them on record. Many call me silly for this, getting so sentimental over these creatures that many tame with the understanding will die. But even if they are artificially created... they live in the time they are with us. And I can't help but feel guilt when their assistance to me brings about their untimely demise...

Currently, I am living in a mash of wooden and stone encampment. My new friend - I'll call her D for short - has an affinity for building while I have an affinity for the creatures of the ARKs. While she has been busy working on the base, I have been tirelessly gathering us new friends. Our current lineup includes five raptors - Looper, Special Girl, Slick, Dustin, and Jailor... I have missed having a raptor pack, though one of them, Special Girl, appears to have a lame foot. She is much slower than the rest, and I can't for the life of me figure out how, or why. Perhaps it explains why she befriended us so readily... An offering of free food to an injured, lone raptor must have seemed like a gift from the gods themselves. Before these five I had managed to find another after Lucille, who I had jokingly named 'Sinna,' as in sinner. He had been a confident goofball... Poor fellow only lasted a day. I felt awful for it, as it was innately my fault. I had been walking him through some woods in a bid to find ankylosaurus in the treeline.  A pack of wild raptors, however, called these woods home. They rushed us from all sides and even after throwing me free and to safety, they continued to assault him. Sinna tried desperately, it seemed, to 'negotiate'... But after listening to his snarls and pleading growls for a few seconds, the alpha of this new pack had decided it had heard enough, and lunged at his throat. I had been forced to look away at that point, but that didn't save me from their cruel jaws next. Why couldn't that stupid raptor have ran?

Ahem... Anyway... continuing on... We also have a carnotaurus. That was one of the dinos a fellow survivor helped us with. I never quite understood what he was saying, but I knew his name began with an A, so I just call him A. The carno is a spunky one, but seems to think it's a jerboa, with its desire to be as physically close to you as possible at all times. I'm starting to think he may be so clingy because of body heat. We do live awfully close to the tundras...

Shortly before Sinna died his cruel death, I managed to down a tyrannosaurus. This beast was vibrant green with angry red streaks mixed in to her scales. Her name became Palmyra, after a valiant struggle to gain her trust, I succeeded.  She, of course, is very much still alive.

Among our other beasts include an otter, a pteranodon, two griffins, two doedicurus, a dimorphodon, a tek stegosaurus, and a castoroides. Well... we did have a castoroides... It must have gotten separated from the rest back at camp while I was out dealing with Special Girl, Slick, Dustin, and Jailor earlier tonight, because I came back to find his corpse... I'm not sure what I'll tell D, as she spent a lot of effort taming that thing down... Oh, and that's another one to add to the grave list, damn...

Graves: Courier (megaloceros), Pinstripe (parasaurolophus),  Moonside (parasaurolophus), Spry (parasaurolophus), Lucille (raptor), Algae (parasaurolophus), Lucitania (parasaurolophus), Plankton (dodo), Miata (parasaurolophus), Ashley (pteranodon), Hiro (dilophosaurus), Honeydew (dilophosaurus), Sinna (raptor), Liara (pteranodon), unnamed Castoroides; in that order

Notes: Need to make perimeter wall keep direbears out

Must find male rex

Must find several ankylos

Must find an argentavis

Break news to D about beaver; letting it loosely wander the direbear and terror-bird ridden woods is a dangerous gamble

Edited by Slvr
  • Like 3

A weekend of ARK... well nearly a full weekend and boy did I make the most of it.

Tribe limit was 488/500 and I was getting pains at having to log in to feed everything twice weekly (Gigas, Rexes and the little ones dont have high food stats) so I decided to have a clear out. Created a few more cryo fridges and pods and got to work. 30 Allos, 30 Otters, a few Gigas and Rexes, 20 Terrorbirds, Pteras, Argies... I was running out of pods. So I now have 5 Cryo fridges full of dinos and hatched 49 eggs so created a baby folder so I could raise at a later date. 

I started to raise 15 new Pteras - no major stat breakthroughs but just a few newer females with a newer stat... saves me trying at a later date.

The Yuty I have is a born 258 and I have one born 226... bred them and somehow came out at 277. Upon inspection nothing seemed to jump out statswise as to why it was higher - possibly torp - can you get a  mutation in torp? I kept it, will be happy raising that - shame it didnt get a new colour.

My 5th 100% imp Giga is now complete - and no more raising for a long long time, but took the fresher out on a meat run to start levelling it up - didnt take long to get to 300.

metal, oh how I do love metal. Anky, 7000 weight Quetz and awaaaay we we go. Forgot that we still hadnt implemented a second forge on this server so when I returned it roughly took 3hrs to cook down all the metal into ingots but I have 150 stacks of ingots to show fro it which is nice :)

No new tames this weekend, it was metal running and raising so I cant complain.

My final efforts were to raise my Wyverns a little more, the 190 poison completed and so did my carrier argy so that was useful. Next on the list are the two 185 Fires but they are only at 20% whilst my 165 Fires are both at 85% so will try and finish those up this week.

All in all, a lot of time spent on the ARK but not fun stories really, just a progress update.

• Like 2

So I decided to move Down South for a Taming base. Kept the Shell of my Northern Base for Metal collection and high level Dino taming. Didn't have as much time as I wanted but got stuck into the building and designing (AKA breaking down, getting it wrong and losing resources).

So my personal home away from home is done.....minus furniture. The Mill is done however I need to move the grind stone in a bit as it is sticking out the wall......This entails builidng the thatch scaffolding again because, of course, I broke it down before checking I was satisfied. Tamed a lovely Tech Para for the eggs and babies........Stole an egg from a Ptera and ran back to my base, locked the doors. But wait no roof on Dino Pen. Bye Bye dinos to the Ptera swarm.......Where they all came from I do not know.

Sooo tonight after training we off to tame up a NEW Anklyo, Deod, Ptera and Para.

This is as far as my base got:

arkbase.thumb.jpg.e817ec7ee0ebac539126df7ce668ea14.jpg

Edited by Monde
  • Like 1

Um well the Grind Stone move of the Mill did not quite go as planed. Removed the wrong wall and now have a pile of rubble where the windmill was. So started collecting materials and  creating the GreenHouse. The taming of creatures didnt really get off the ground as planned. However I did manage to find a Tech Para so that is one tick.

• Haha 1

@Anarki It was probably a speed mutation, that they can mutate an "invisible" stat that does nothing is just so incredibly typical of Ark.

Anyway the good news is I don't have strep. The bad news is it's still a particularly nasty upper respiratory illness that's bad enough to mimic it. Work is probably a mess but I needed the extra day of rest, of which I only spent half of it on the game, mostly waiting for my Dr. appointment. Spent the rest of my day on the couch, not really napping but at least resting.

Having secured my crops and a beetle, I made a preserving bin and started the jerky up. It's been so long since I played on a normal server, forgot how tedious some of this is. Now, I know I don't necessarily need everything, but without a consistent source of honey I can't run a nanny so I need to keep at least a small amount of the various kibble around for imprinting. So thinking of that, I looked up the new tiers and formed a quick plan. The first tier was easy, dodos are everywhere. One pair secured. The second tier includes compies, common in my area and also small so they won't be in the way. Got a pair. Slight deviation from my plan, I came across a pair of low level rexes marauding in an area thick with bases, tamed both. Then went back to the two middle tiers and got another anky and another argent to fill in since redundancy is good anyway. Now all I need are yutys for the final tier. I'm only doing one pair of each because I'm tired of maintaining large numbers of otherwise useless animals, hence why I picked ones that at least have utility.

Eventually I'll replace the low level rexes with good ones, for now I don't really care.

Also ended up taming a third argent after a misadventure in the swamp collecting Plant X seeds that saw me burning through almost all of the egg argent's food getting back to my main bird and my body. So I went and got another 150, very similar in appearance to my main bird Raven, named after my generous benefactor from the previous day. Called the new one Crow and his stats are actually best suited for a combat bird which is exactly what I need for hunting. Raven is a long distance hauler with points in stamina and weight only. He can get me anywhere I need to go easily and can carry almost anything I need. Crow will be the bird I take to find things to tame.

It's always good to follow the rule of 2; always have a backup of anything that flies or swims. I always get into trouble when I ignore that rule.

That was honestly about it. I farmed a bit, spent some time organizing the base and ran a few local drops. High on my wishlist is a longneck BP, I've been stockpiling charcoal for days to build up my darts. I do have a bear on my list to tame so I can work on getting a domesticated beehive. Maybe I'll see if I can buy one, that's really the main thing holding me back right now aside from level for the industrial Engrams.

• Like 2

Wife was busy all night with some stupid TV show so I hopped on ARK! 

Got on Rag and went for a run about to top up troughs on Saltires Thylo. Was pretty fun, great hide gatherer. Killed some sharks and got some fish prime then decided.. id try again for that 150 bary on the other side of the swamp!

Loaded the boat up and tried. Almost died a few times, got chased out of the swamp a few times by crabs and said stuff this! Grabbed one of the argies and dropped it in the boat. Guess im going to use argies too. Im just needlessly punishing myself :P Had to farm more prime but it came out halfway decent. 

Went and gathered pearls in canyon river afterwards on my Pelagornis. Got back, made some electronics and then a few AC. Had to do a paste run, still didnt have enough AC to hatch an Argy egg, its hot here. Went on the Bary to find the green obby beaver dams. Stumbled across one of the new guys building his base below the dams. Stopped in to say Hi then continued.

Got about 1000 paste and ventured home to hatch up a few argies. Hatched two, one asked for kibble first.. dont have any! Other got to 50% before asking for kibble. Made a couple fridges aswell.

Took the new argy out to find Thylos. Flew the SE spot for a few hours. Found out theres a whack load of pearls here! Score for later. Finally found a 130 thylo, got it in my raft and tamed it.

While leveling it I spotted a 145 male anky near us, knocked it out and let it tame up as i went to get more paste. Got home, it was still taming and went to bed.

(I didnt know where you wanted gen and stuff so you can move anything I placed @AngrySaltire im loving the layout youve made so far!)

• Like 2

PS4 - Single Player - Extinction/The Center

While I have been lucky enough to tame 2 Element dust Gachas over the last month, and thru breeding them I have a nice army Gachas that are providing Steel, Pearls, Obsidian, Poly, Sap, etc.

But What I really want is a color mutated Gacha. So last night I uploaded a pair of Gachas to The Center map, and after building them a safe pen to breed in, I set them to mating, and off I went to do other jobs around my long neglected Center base. (Prior to loading into The Center, I changed the setting to reduce the breeding cool down, and speed up baby maturation.)

I would pop in on a regular basis, and check the babies, killing the males unless they got a stat mutation,  and feeding the babies. After about 3 hours, I got a baby Elemental dust male! So I quickly pulled him off to his own pen, and filled him up with food.

Soon it was bed time, but since I have chronic back pain, I rarely sleep more than a few hours, before needing to get up and stretch, so I just left my PS4 on, and figured I would check in after a couple of hours.

BIG MISTAKE ..... I actually slept until 5:30 am, meaning that my game was on for about 6.5 hours unattended. Yeah I am in Lag-Hell, because the Gachas went on a breeding spree, and have no idea how many babies are waiting to be claimed.  The lag was so bad, that I took a few moments before leaving for work, to start destroying some of the pen walls, in hopes that some of the gachas would venture away, and hopefully reduce the lag. I also killed any male I could see that did not have Elemental dust or color mutation. But in the 25 minutes I had before needing to get ready for work, I only was able to kill about a dozen. The lag was that bad!

Tonight when I get home, I will upload the element dust male, and transfer him over to Extinction. (Yeah, I know I was only breeding for color mutations with the sped up settings, but I just can't kill an element dust baby!

Then I will return to the Center, and see if I got any color mutations. It will be a slow process of patiently working thru the lag, to kill any unneeded baby, and also taking all the keepers off of Mating/Wandering.

I haven't had a lag issue like this since 2017, when I left my jerboas on wandering in my outpost base on Scorched, and returned to so many babies, that I had to do a destroy all jerboas admin command, because so many had sunk underneath the mesh.