Jump to content

Anarki

So what did you do in ARK today?

Recommended Posts

I think its only right that I post the 3500th post on this thread.

So basically, I finally downloaded extinction - 4hrs to download 18gb and install it - wow! It worked but nearly all servers were 70/70 so I just started up a SP game and started to explore. I was amazed by the lack of threatening dinos, they all except for the ants and flies left me alone. The odd dilo came after me but I outran them. Saw a pool of water and was in need of a drink - jumped straight into a gator - cheers. Funny though as he took no notice of me and carried on after a metal looking drone thing - fine by me, carried on exploring whilst picking up anything I could for experience. Started heading over to Red obby which looks like an Scortched Earth biome - could be fun that. It was quite a way off, saw some Scorpion when looking over a ledge. 

After 20 mins of looking around and coming to peace with my surroundings, I decided enough was enough, I had given myself a preview of where i want to be on an Official server... I jumped!

It was a long way down, and to there my life ended. Logged off and went looking for an Official to start on. 

Not found a server yet but that is tonights plan. Im liking what I am seeing though and fairly stable FPS too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jabnlab said:

Its been a few months but Im back. Took a break because we were getting a little bored but extinction got us hooked again. So as a recap I play on my own private cluster with my wife and 2 brothers. Before extinction it was The Island, Aberration, and Scorched. Now we swapped Scorched for Extinction. Rates are 7.5 difficulty (max wild of 225), 7.5 taming, and 3x gathering.

So my wife and I transfered over to Extinction with our lvl 98 characters. We decided to set up our starter base just out side the city right under the obelisk. Its actually a good place to start. Its up on a plateu with only 1 small path up. Theres several beaver dam spawns so we have all the paste and wood we need early on. Theres a few metal, crystal, green gem and even obsidian nodes around. Probably not a long term place but its nice for now. The defense units do a good job of killing hostile dinos too.

So we only have about 3 hours into it now and we've been taking ot slow. So far we have a small 3x2 stone building and metal tools and weapons. This morning we tamed a moose and a low lvl raptor.

Its actually been quite uneventful till this morning when 3 raptors decided to pay us a visit. I was out gathering metal and stone when I heard them coming so I took off to our base. Managed to make it inside the walls before them. So i grab some arrows and quickly take out a low lvl one. The last 2 kind of seperate so i hop down and bola one of them and start killing it with my sword. Not 2 wacks in and his buddy shows up and pins me and I get killed. So I respawn, grab my stuff, bola again and get eaten again, lol. Finally 1 runs away so I bola and kill the other. Then run after the 3rd and tranq and tame it.

So our immediate plans are to get a stock pile of narcotics and tranqs so we can start taming gathering and pack mule dinos. We dont really plan on expanding this base because we plan on moving as soon as we can fend for ourselves, lol

Hey man :) Glad to see you around here again. I also have taken a few months off and havent logged in my server so ive probably lost everythijg to spoil :P Had a few nice rock drake eggs in my fridge but id assume theyrr gone now

 

Undecided whether im going to pay a visit back to Ark when extinction drops for xbox.. im pretty hooked back into my old pc game (and I mean old.. Tibia 20 years old now..) without a pc capable of even dreaming of running Ark im stuck with my good ole faithful og xbox one.

 

Maybe @AngrySaltire has plans for extinction? Going in fresh or transfer? I should plan my stuff now if I do decide to jump in

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Hey man :) Glad to see you around here again. I also have taken a few months off and havent logged in my server so ive probably lost everythijg to spoil :P Had a few nice rock drake eggs in my fridge but id assume theyrr gone now

 

Undecided whether im going to pay a visit back to Ark when extinction drops for xbox.. im pretty hooked back into my old pc game (and I mean old.. Tibia 20 years old now..) without a pc capable of even dreaming of running Ark im stuck with my good ole faithful og xbox one.

 

Maybe @AngrySaltire has plans for extinction? Going in fresh or transfer? I should plan my stuff now if I do decide to jump in

If you ever need rock drake eggs just let me know ;) Been a while since I was on the server (burned out a bit) but I do trench runs for fun so would so wont mind jumping back on for the giggles. 

Havent decided yet. Probably going to jump on fresh to get the full DLC experience, with intensions of transfer of stuff later on.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

If you ever need rock drake eggs just let me know ;) Been a while since I was on the server (burned out a bit) but I do trench runs for fun so would so wont mind jumping back on for the giggles. 

Havent decided yet. Probably going to jump on fresh to get the full DLC experience, with intensions of transfer of stuff later on.

Perfect! I wish it came out this weekend then I would have time to play but maybe ill see about getting tuesday off. Getting close to lay-off here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried to join the extinction server for 45mim before I somehow got in.

Snakes killed everything and eating half the wooden house.

Remade a stone house and started to make dino gates with hatchet because I can't afford to tame a gacha or doedi... 

Only made 3 gate after finishing the small stone shack before logging off because 2 reroll happened in the mean time, having to rebuild every time... My 4h of game time ran out... 

Tamed 3 dodos 5 dilos and a ptera while farming... Looking out for a trike, but no luck. 

Edited by Paroxyde
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unofficial ragnarok- nitrado server

It might be a bit until my cluster gets extinction but I'm cool with that I still have loooooots of work to do on rag 

Almost done the breeding room , just needs a ceiling and electricity hooked up,  traded one of my prized wyverns to some good people for a thyla an argy and a bunch of acs kinda cheaped myself out but itll pay out in the long run 

Caught 2 megs that were in my water pen but one got beached and I have no idea how to save him , tamed a dolphin too , lost my first tame on this server by accidentally axing him in the head during a raptor attack ...sorry boris 

I then tamed a new boris but this time hes a high level stego lol and tamed a low level dimorphodon outta boredom again lol and tamed another Male rex with poop stats , I think I'm a dino hoarder lol

Once the breeding room is done I'll make an outpost on aberration to farm , just like I'll have one on extinction ( the plus side of clusters) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've built up enough that I decided I need to get a foothold on the mainland. Just like irl, herb island is a perfect example of how we trade convenience for security. It might be completely safe, but it's a hassle to do anything. So I loaded my doed, mammoth and argent up on the raft and sailed north. I was already planning to build up there anyway so why not now? Pearl Lake, an area I have never built in because it's been occupied on every server ever. Not surprising, given its relative safety and proximity to useful things.

Once there I set up a tiny platform to operate from and tamed a red monkey that happened to be wandering around. No particular reason.

Anyway. Farmed up a bit and got one gate up.

That's honestly all I had time for.

Pearl Lake is going to be my breeding facility, basically. At least for my semi-aquatics. Barys, spinos, pelas, etc. I'll probably keep herb island as it is for now and eventually convert it into a sea pen. I'm not too worried about it being too far out of the way for that because honestly I rarely use full aquatics. Don't really need to with spinos, but they are still good to have for some situations.

I will say I'm tempted to check out Extinction, but I'd really like to progress through the maps in the proper order.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, d1nk said:

Hey man :) Glad to see you around here again. I also have taken a few months off and havent logged in my server so ive probably lost everythijg to spoil :P Had a few nice rock drake eggs in my fridge but id assume theyrr gone now

 

Undecided whether im going to pay a visit back to Ark when extinction drops for xbox.. im pretty hooked back into my old pc game (and I mean old.. Tibia 20 years old now..) without a pc capable of even dreaming of running Ark im stuck with my good ole faithful og xbox one.

 

Maybe @AngrySaltire has plans for extinction? Going in fresh or transfer? I should plan my stuff now if I do decide to jump in

Thanks :) We've been playing Destiny 2 pretty hard the last several months, Destiny's Forsaken expansion and the month or so leading up to it have been so awesome. I kept paying for my Ark servers during the break but just turned them off so its like we never left. The night before extinction came out I transfered all of my tames and bps on SE over to my island server before changing it to extinction

 Extinction came at the perfect time at kind of a lull between Destiny expansions so now we are splitting our time 50/50 between Ark and Destiny. Destiny's next expansion is a month or 2 away so we have a decent amount of time to get our grind on in extinction and see what it has to offer before getting completly lost in Destiny again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extinction - Modded Single-Player: The Great Scouting Expedition, The Most Annoying Culling Creature EVER, and 1,000 Foundations and Counting...

So, the very first order of the day was taking my new owl Sai out training, and actually seeing the map, scouting for where I’m going to set up the forever Sanctuary.

The map is absolutely gorgeous, and I’m pretty sure I saw most of it. I found my dimorphodons getting the featherlight treatment in a pit at the center of the earth, and tamed three to start the flock, spied gatchas for the first time, and I for one am not complaining about the beaver overspawn...at least for now.

Because fast forward in time and I’m actually building in the aptly named Sanctuary dome, taking over a gorgeous atrium in what is easily shaping up to be my most ambitious build ever. And it’s so beautiful I can’t bear to do it all in stone, so a lot of wall sections will be S+ glass walls, for which I need a boatload of cementing paste...so the plentiful dams are very welcome.

As I was, I’m not sure what needs doing to tame a gatcha, and I haven’t caved and consulted the wiki yet, so after a bit of failed experimentation I continued my tour after teleporting out my three dimorphodons and a mesopithicus that was simply nearby a downed bird and I thought “why not?” and started handing her berries.

After settling on my atrium I spent nigh eight hours today simply farming supplies, constructing foundations, ceilings and ramps, and placing and placing and placing and the foundation is still not complete. I’m hopeful tomorrow I’ll have the foundation done and can start raising the walls. On the plus side, this is giving plenty of time to smelt metal for all that planned glass.

And in between all the construction I was out with my wyvern in the snow, because I had settled on my next target tame: a managrmr. Hopefully I didn’t butcher that name...

But, well, let me tell you there are *issues* with this goal. Holy, there are issues. Namely, while the snow dome offered up a 120 eagle, 136 water wyvern and 108 owl back to back to back previously, my return has greeted me with nothing but positively subpar managrmrs. 

For most species, this isn’t a terribly huge deal...just keep snacking on them until the game spawns one you want. But culling managrmrs with my highest DPS tame is the biggest pain in the neck, because I’ve not yet found a drake, which would be the go-to for their infinitely superior mobility, my lovely Tritonia banking like a school bus against what I’m pretty certain is the fastest and most mobile creature in Ark makes for a hefty ordeal.

Tritonia has the advantages of being quite tanky and she hits like a truck...but... unfortunately I have to actually land those truck-like hits on these things.

Well, long story short I struck out today, after reaching a point where Tritonia needed to recover and I needed to focus on building. Tomorrow’s a new day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logged in to Center last night and put 15 rex eggs down to bring the timers down for a weekend raise (looking for a specific colour so will probably be killing many)

I then logged in to Extinction500 to try and find tribemates starter base (somewhere near green obby he said). I spawned in a new character and on first level up I pressed melee instead of weight (NUMPTY!!). Anyway, made the usual starter tools and wandered around. lvl 15 Carno came behind me and ripped a hole in my back. Decided to spawn elsewhere not knowing where green obby is and it wasnt visible on first spawn. Now in a snow biome, 65 wolf came and chewed on my leg. 

So, opening a little of the map now, decided on a different spawn point on map - aha, right by green obby. Wandered over and pillared like an electical power station - stumps everywhere. 

Couldnt find his base but many in sight so just spiked a few dinos and levelled up waiting for Friday night when Ill game with said tribemate.

First thoughts are... starter areas are fairly safe, Anky's in abundance so wont be long in getting a metal base up... a few metal nodes and obsidian around too which is nice.

Part of me thinks I should go on SP, spawn in a flyer and go check out the map but that takes away the fun of exploring. Hell, that is what I loved about Rag - and I have hardly spent any time there.

So, Im a lvl 5 character on a new map... could make for an interesting weekend. Hope you all have fun too - be sure to let us know of any tips on Ext

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, d1nk said:

Perfect! I wish it came out this weekend then I would have time to play but maybe ill see about getting tuesday off. Getting close to lay-off here

Tell me about it, would love for it not to have been delayed. I think itll be Wednesday before I get on, assuming a massive download time. Lay-off doesnt sound good....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LadyCrescent said:

Extinction - Modded Single-Player: The Great Scouting Expedition, The Most Annoying Culling Creature EVER, and 1,000 Foundations and Counting...

So, the very first order of the day was taking my new owl Sai out training, and actually seeing the map, scouting for where I’m going to set up the forever Sanctuary.

The map is absolutely gorgeous, and I’m pretty sure I saw most of it. I found my dimorphodons getting the featherlight treatment in a pit at the center of the earth, and tamed three to start the flock, spied gatchas for the first time, and I for one am not complaining about the beaver overspawn...at least for now.

Because fast forward in time and I’m actually building in the aptly named Sanctuary dome, taking over a gorgeous atrium in what is easily shaping up to be my most ambitious build ever. And it’s so beautiful I can’t bear to do it all in stone, so a lot of wall sections will be S+ glass walls, for which I need a boatload of cementing paste...so the plentiful dams are very welcome.

As I was, I’m not sure what needs doing to tame a gatcha, and I haven’t caved and consulted the wiki yet, so after a bit of failed experimentation I continued my tour after teleporting out my three dimorphodons and a mesopithicus that was simply nearby a downed bird and I thought “why not?” and started handing her berries.

After settling on my atrium I spent nigh eight hours today simply farming supplies, constructing foundations, ceilings and ramps, and placing and placing and placing and the foundation is still not complete. I’m hopeful tomorrow I’ll have the foundation done and can start raising the walls. On the plus side, this is giving plenty of time to smelt metal for all that planned glass.

And in between all the construction I was out with my wyvern in the snow, because I had settled on my next target tame: a managrmr. Hopefully I didn’t butcher that name...

But, well, let me tell you there are *issues* with this goal. Holy, there are issues. Namely, while the snow dome offered up a 120 eagle, 136 water wyvern and 108 owl back to back to back previously, my return has greeted me with nothing but positively subpar managrmrs. 

For most species, this isn’t a terribly huge deal...just keep snacking on them until the game spawns one you want. But culling managrmrs with my highest DPS tame is the biggest pain in the neck, because I’ve not yet found a drake, which would be the go-to for their infinitely superior mobility, my lovely Tritonia banking like a school bus against what I’m pretty certain is the fastest and most mobile creature in Ark makes for a hefty ordeal.

Tritonia has the advantages of being quite tanky and she hits like a truck...but... unfortunately I have to actually land those truck-like hits on these things.

Well, long story short I struck out today, after reaching a point where Tritonia needed to recover and I needed to focus on building. Tomorrow’s a new day.

As a console peasant, I obviously have not played Extinction yet.  I've tried to limit my Youtube videos of the new DLC, so much of what you were talking about above, is like speaking in another language. I don't know the new dinos, but "water wyvern" caght my attention!

Looks like I will have a lot to learn when Extinction finally  comes to consoles .... in 2019.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aushegun said:

As a console peasant, I obviously have not played Extinction yet.  I've tried to limit my Youtube videos of the new DLC, so much of what you were talking about above, is like speaking in another language. I don't know the new dinos, but "water wyvern" caght my attention!

Looks like I will have a lot to learn when Extinction finally  comes to consoles .... in 2019.

The water wyvern is a part of the Dragons and Enhanced Creatures mod I run. In fact, in spite of seeing some corrupted wyverns in footage before launch, it looks like there isn’t a wyvern trench on the map...which is pretty disappointing.

 I hope it comes out on console soon, but I too am skeptical of a launch on the 13th, simply because PC has unearthed a bunch of bugs that simply must be fixed before it goes to console.

The worst of it is that Extinction has overwritten the save data for everyone with a game on The Island.

WildCard has a bit of work in front of them, but as someone who started on Xbox EA from day one and a sometimes console player still, my view is that I’d rather PC have it for a few days to find what’s seriously broken...because I can just restore from a backup on PC if catastrophe strikes. On console, well, if you remember the simultaneous Scorched Earth launch...if they had sent the Extinction build out simultaneously, everyone with a single player or non-dedicated Island game would have lost everything, and there’d be nothing I could do about it.

 I know it must be maddening to wait, especially with the expectation of another delay, but at least we know PC is bringing these bugs to their attention, so console can hope for a launch free of complete calamity.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LadyCrescent said:

The worst of it is that Extinction has overwritten the save data for everyone with a game on The Island.

This is not entirely correct. While they both use the same folder, both save files are named TheIsland.ark and Extinction.ark so the only things that are shared, are the tribe and character profiles. If you do not create a new character, and are using the same on both map you should not have any issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This is not entirely correct. While they both use the same folder, both save files are named TheIsland.ark and Extinction.ark so the only things that are shared, are the tribe and character profiles. If you do not create a new character, and are using the same on both map you should not have any issue.

Famous last words :P We cant exactly restore our saves so even if it *might* overwrite its a huge deal for consoles

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm now in college, and sadly there is no room in my dorm for my PS4, so my old Ark world on The Center with my old dino buddies must be put on hiatus. As of a few days ago I hadn't played Ark in almost two months. I had, however, previously downloaded Ark via Steam on my old Macbook Air. As you'd expect the game ran like a slideshow on the lowest settings. Good news is, I've gotten a new computer since then. So, I downloaded Ark onto my new computer a few days ago. This is no gaming laptop, but it's certainly more powerful than a Macbook Air. Anyway, I now have the game running fairly smoothly on Medium settings.

Day 1.

Went pretty much as you'd expect the Ark Adventure to begin. I started building a thatch hut, crafting cloth clothing, spears, and the necessary tools. Since I was building a fairly large starter home, I actually ended up upgrading to wood before I finished the house. I quickly worked my way up to Bow and Tranq arrow level. I was having an incredibly hard time finding high level dinos for some reason. The vast majority of the dinos seemed to be level 20 or less. Eventually I did find a level 100 Dilo, knocked it out and tamed it up immediately. I don't have a name for her yet. I upgraded to Hide armor and completed my wooden home. I died at one point at the hands of a Titanoboa, but managed to keep my now level 149 Dilo from having the same fate. I knocked out a level 100 Pteranodon and things seemed to be going well. It was at that point that I decided to log off.

Day 2.

Didn't go quite as well. I didn't exactly lose any progress. I did die and lose all of my stuff, but at this point in the game recovery is super easy. My Dilo is still alive and well, but the Pteranodon woke up while I was out looking for other high level dinos. I found a high level trike and started gathering narcoberries and narcotics in order to tame it, but it ended up getting killed by a spino. I wandered around for another hour and a half and found nothing worth taming. It was pretty boring. Hopefully I can find something useful eventually, but we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly when you're just starting out, high level animals isn't hugely important. I find taming levels 50-60ish is fine, and for starter utility animals I'll grab whatever I can find. I know I'll replace them later on with better ones anyway.

For myself, not a hugely exciting evening. I built the remaining 2 gates I needed and set them up. Of course, animals can still fall in from above; I'm still thinking about how to block that in a way that isn't totally ugly. The only true concern is a giga roaming too close and falling in...that would ruin my day, for sure.

But since I had my immediate safety handled, it was time to do a little shuffling. I headed back to the raft and sailed all the way back to herb island and loaded up a few choice tames. My anky, of course. My bary. And my spino. Yes, the one adventure I didn't post about included my first spino tame. Fun fact/detail: if your spino is on your raft and you turn the raft too quickly, the spino stands up! It's like he's trying to balance himself, very cool.

Offloaded everyone and then spent a significant amount of time laying foundations. Also clearing the area of annoying spawns. Kept the beavers, ate the paras, compies, dilos, trikes, stegos, etc. Basically anything that could be a potential issue. I might tame one of the beavers, not sure yet.

Decided to get started on eggs for argent kibble to tame spinos so I headed over to carno island with my raft and my bird. On the way we scooped up a surprise visitor, a lystro who was randomly swimming in the middle of the ocean. Oh, and I did go and rescue mine on my way to tame the mammoth...it was promptly snatched up by a seagull and eaten. Would have been safer on the beach where it was. Sigh. Anyway. I lured a bird I liked into the pen and KO'd it. While I was getting prime a female scorp started following me to the pen so I tamed that too in case I decided to do some boss rexes instead of or alongside theris. Then I tamed the lystro because why not.

Brought everyone back to base and that was about it for me for the night.

Today's plan is basically to spend some time at herb island gathering up the rest of the animals/materials I plan to bring with me. Some of them are staying because I either don't need them or don't want to lose them ie the stupid seagulls. Once I've consolidated everything I've got some more stuff to build before I'll really be ready to start hunting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...