So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

(Official, Valguero) Uploaded Biter and armor again. Also, killed a level 25 alpha rex.

(Official, Extinction) Got Biter and armor. Went to the forest cave. Killed things. Loot sucked. Got dismounted by a micro, then killed by a purlovia and some arthros. Respawned back at the base.

(Official, Valguero) Took few more spare pieces of armor, podded Lana (one of my breeder females), uploaded that and an empty pod.

(Official, Extinction) Retrieved Lana, pod and armor, went back to the cave, rescued Biter, podded them both, returned to the base, uploaded Lana, unpodded Biter, fed dinos.

(Official, Valguero) Got back Lana and returned her to her place at the breeder stand. Spotted a 145 alpha rex, took chibi, took Phobos, killed the rex. Logged off.

Not a great day.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

(SP, The Island) It was another excellent day for me. I woke up early before work and figured I would jump on to tame the 150 Yuty that I saw last night. It was in the general vicinity of where I needed to go for more crystal anyway. Of course I forgot to bring my trap supplies, but I didn't realize that until I was seconds away. Just as I turned to go back, I saw a 140 spino just chilling in the little river between the two snow mountains. Yes! Finally a high level spino. I've killed so many low levels... Found a 140 female direwolf, snatched it and brought it back to my taming pen at base. Now I can breed up an army and see if I can get some real pelt supplies going.

Back at base, I grabbed everything I would need (kibble, mutton, gateways and gates). I flew back to that area and perched on a cliff. Signed out.

Came back from work and signed in. Trapped up the Spino and fed it kibble. Spotted a 140 megatherium right beside us. This is serious luck because I've never seen a high level of those either. I decided the Yuty was higher priority because it was max level and female and I didn't want it getting itself killed on me. After it went for a very annoying swim in the ice chunked lake, it managed to get stuck in some ruins for an explorer note - perfect. Tamed it up with mutton. While it was down, I led the megatherium to the trap I had set up for the yuty. Tamed that up with some kibble. I cryo'ed everything and tossed out my Bary because I had found a 135 heal pig. I tanked the hits and tamed that too. Found another high level opposite gender heal pig and did the same. I was on a major roll with finding high levels tonight!

Next, I put away my Bary and flew over to the blue ob mountain. Tossed out my anky and gathered a ton of crystal. Perfect! Hopefully I can finish up my breeding room now. Flew home and tossed all of the metal collected in the forge and put away the rest of the resources. Ran out of time, so building will have to wait for tomorrow. Signed out for the night. 

• Like 2

(Official, Crystal Isles) Refreshed base.

(Official, Valguero) Took Ulfric (the bear) and went for a meat/berry run. He got a new level. I even hunted coels a bit to feed Raf (pela). And that's all for today.

Oh, also, it's very funny when a wounded dino tries to run away from you, but you're on a bear so the longer it runs the less chances it has to escape.

• Like 1

Busy couple days for me.

Gacha breeding is still ongoing without decent results.

Went back to the desert and tamed another velo. Decent stats, not really good enough for a line, but good enough to breed and imprint one just to have. I love velos and hope to do some color work with them eventually. Also want to mess around in The Island caves and see how it does there.

Went into the snow on my now adult snow owl and found 2 high level manas. Honestly wasn't super hard to trap them. Male and female, stats are high but not quite bloodline worthy. But again, good enough to breed one. Lucked out, the first baby had all of the stats and imo the best combination of colors.

Got him about half raised before ending the night.

I know manas aren't super useful in PVE but I've never tamed any before and their speed makes them super nice for scouting. I really, really need to find an element vein.

Not really a lot of forward progress but until I get my replicator up I am a bit stuck. I also still need to pick a permanent base location, I have everything out in the open right now. I did want to hold off and do a tek base just for the aesthetics on this map but I might just settle for stone for the sake of getting it done.

• Like 1

(SP, The Island) It was a pretty simple day for me today. I finished up my breeding room, hung the lights on the ceiling and then revamped some areas of my base. Swapped out for metal railings around my taming pen so the wood ones could stop being chomped by wild dinos.

Ran the swamp cave for the first time in a few days. My armor was broken twice, which led to two separate trips back to base and then back to the cave again. Thankfully I live close but it was still frustrating. That was it for today.

Finally making some progress.

Found another 25k element vein and this time we managed to find all the hostiles and secure a victory. I quickly took advantage of the spoils to build my replicator, generator and trough. Finally in tek tier for real, only took 2 years lol. I mean, I had some stuff on The Island and all that but farming bosses for element is too tedious to be practical.

I scouted around some more, got fed up and decided to just expand my current base rather than build a new one. So most of my time today in game was spent on that. It's not a base I'm particularly proud of but it's doing what I need it to do and that's good enough.

Continued breeding gachas. Funnily enough I got a new mutation on crafting skill but wasn't paying attention, by the time I noticed the baby it was already juvenile. Still no dust gacha but it's less of a priority now. Actually I'm more interested in muts to max our crafting skill out.

Meanwhile I also started setting up for the next phase of my plans. I brought all of my rexes up to the snow dome and threw them all out. PVP settings so they're sleeping it off. But hopefully my rex army should be enough to kill wild gigas so I can start the hunt for Heartbreaker's mate. I'll be doing that off and on between other things.

• Like 2

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos. Saw a drop in the distance, but didn't even get to see what kind - someone got it first. Probably was too difficult anyway - I wouldn't dare to try anything higher than blue.

For now that's all.

(Official, Valguero) Fed dinos. Wouldn't have been able to do more even if I wanted to - crazy lag today.

(Offcila, Crystal Isles) Was offline when I wanted to check on it, so nothing done there today, refreshing the base will have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

PVE Ragnarok official (past few days)

I logged in the other day to find a 150 morellatop standing on my front porch.  I've never had one of those, even when playing solo on SE.   I had no plans to tame one but said "what the heck."  Now I have one. 

I got tired of all the raptors, pigs, cats, pegos, etc that kept spawning around the base and creating havoc so I finally built a wall.  It has helped tremendously, especially with the paracers and morellatops.  I hate how the house just shakes and shakes when they are around... And finally allowed me the confidence to let out some of the babies I have been keeping in the fridge since moving over from the island.

I heard daeodons can help with raising wyverns if you don't have milk, so I tamed one.  I took out my baby wyvern and after a bit I turned on the pig.  I went through a couple sessions of "healing" but never really saw any improvement in the wyvern's health.  I stopped using the pig and found out there is a community cage near the cove for milking.  So, I flew over and got milk.  Honestly, I thought it was easier than taming the pig. lol.  Anyway, the wyvern has now surpassed its' first imprint and doing fine.

Took out the baby therizinos and yuty's for awhile yesterday.  Almost all the therizinos received their first imprint and are now in juvenile stage. And the two yuty's each passed the second imprint point.

Started building a water pen. I have maybe the first 100 pillars in place.  A long way to go on that project still.

• Like 1

Every once in awhile I do something completely random.

Today I set up new mods, a new character, and started up on Valguero.

Why? I don't know. I felt like it. I'm really not familiar with this map at all aside from the deino areas. So naturally that was where I spawned, and I actually ended up in The Maul, a fairly large, extremely safe grotto with only one land based passage.

Got set up with the basics and ventured out of to find my first challenge, a pair of allos. It took a lot of arrows and multiple trips for repairs and crafting, but I actually killed both of them with a normal, primitive bow and some spears. Lol.

Then I poked my head out a little bit more and found a deino nest very close by. I headed back to base, put all of my stuff away, and grabbed the egg. Did not die and successfully returned home. Hatched the egg and yes, my first tame was a deino. Only level 20 but hey.

Raised him up then took a quick ride out and about. Got another egg. Level 20, different parent. Raised him up too. Just to have them really I know they're not that useful at that level.

My third tame...a lymantria. This is one of the most bizarre starts I've ever had on any map, honestly. They seem to wander into the tunnel frequently and get stuck, makes an easy tame.

The moth turned out to be a lot more useful than I expected as we were able to go out and pick up more deino eggs, including a 135. Yep.

I picked up the bare minimum utility tames and started rotating. Grab some deino eggs, then farm resources and build while they hatched and raise up, then repeat. I also happened to get a 150 moth in my base, which I tamed. Then a 140 moth, which I also tamed.

So I ended up with a preserving bin full of future kibble eggs, one bloodline worthy deino, a bunch of random deinos to cull, and one bred moth. Honestly, moths are super underrated. I've felt surprisingly safe fluttering around farting on deinos and stealing their eggs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paolo43678 said:

Today I finished our greenhouse then spent the whole rest of it collecting cartloads of dung for my beetles to turn to fertiliser , much more interesting than playing cod 😀

get a phioma(and lvl food)!.... 2-4 fields of stimberrries are easy enough to fill up like 5 beetles with poop in an instant!

Today was a day of not much progress, but a lot of testing.

I decided I liked my new mod setup enough to use on my main file too, but that doesn't come without costs. The dangers of using stack mods is if you ever need to stop using it for whatever reason, say goodbye to all your mats. But honestly aside from the element, thanks to gachas and having imported all my utility tames nothing is going to be that difficult to replace.

So I bit the bullet and after adjusting some settings, loaded up. I checked my other spare character on Crystal Isles first and sure enough, all my consumables and resources were gone. Gear and whatnot remained. Honestly there was nothing doing there so I deleted that file afterwards. 

Then I went ahead and loaded into Extinction and, well it could have been so much worse. For some bizarre reason, likely the old stack mod being something like 3 years out of date, my element shards were the only resource that did not poof into the ether. So my hard won element is gone, but I'll be able to run my tek generator for ages with my thousands of shards. Honestly that's fine. I was most concerned about losing power and having to go back to my gas generator which obviously had no gas in it. Not necessary. And I can just run another element vein to replace the element itself. Will probably wait until the weekend for that as I need to build up a bit again. I have literally no resources, no ammo, nothing. Just bare gear. Even lost my crops, so annoying.

For now I've been testing some of the other stuff I added to my game and so far I am very happy with my results. I also have been breeding gachas as part of the testing. Got a new crafting skill mutation and am raising one other with silica pearls. If you like spinos, you want a pearl gacha. Those saddles get expensive fast. Also needed for yuty saddles for some bizarre reason and I've been too lazy to look for them when I can farm enforcers and defense units for electronics so...yeah. Handy stuff.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how things are going. Yeah it kinda sucks to have lost so much but I haven't been on this map long enough for it to really matter that much either, you know? I kept all my important stuff, the rest barely matters. Also especially pleased that the adjustments fixed my missing Engram issue.

• Like 2

PVE Ragnarok official

Made a new friend today.  Tribe grew by +1 😀👍... This new friend is a frequent visitor to this page, and I sent them an invite awhile ago.  Anyway, they crashed their cool party boat on my beach sometime last night and today we are a team.  And in case there is any danger of me lowering their reputation around here I will let their identity remain a mystery for now. 🤪 Or until they do something really embarrassing and I can take advantage of it somehow.  

... And while we try to decide just exactly how we are going to conquer the world... I made a few trips for wood, stone, and thatch today.  Then I made a bunch of pillars and continued working on the water pen.  I started in the deep water and worked my way back toward shore.  However there are a couple places where it was hard to get snap points to work because of the steepness of the terrain.  I think I have figured out a work-around to the issue and should have everything in order tomorrow.  

That was about it today.

• Like 1

(SP, The Island) Over the weekend, I threw out my current rexes, yuty's and theri's to try to breed in my best stats. It's a work in progress, especially with me not really being home most of the weekend to do much. I had managed to breed in the new health theri that I had found the other day and coincidentally, I found a slightly higher melee theri yesterday. I planned to start breeding that in once the current baby grew up.

I got the health and melee combined for my rexes, now I need to breed that baby to my stamina and weight Rex. I have so many breeding projects going that I feel like I am constantly looking at babies.

I decided on a whim that although I had previously thought I would not transfer maps due to wanting to follow the story... I was going to Valguero today. It's not a story map, so I guess I'm not technically breaking any rules. I wanted to gather some deinonychus to start the breeding process for the Halloween event months down the line. I also wanted to look around for high level rexes or theri's. Wouldn't you know, just a few steps from the green obelisk I found a 150 theri. I tamed her up and she has much higher health than even my newest one back home. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for any more high levels because I've scoured the Island with little to show for it and some new blood will be good.

I spent the next hour searching for deinonychus eggs and found a handful of good ones - maybe 8? I am hoping I didn't get a bunch from the same parents but we will see. I plan to hatch those up before I leave and then transport them to try to avoid any glitches with that. The rest of the eggs I will keep for kibble.

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Wanted to take a megatherium and go for some chitin, but saw a very rare thing: normal, non-tek rex with colors that actually look good (a combination of black, white and gray). So instead i trapped the rex, and started tranqing, but he managed to get out of the trap, and after I tranqed him, some deinons wanted to eat me, but hit him instead. Had to let him wake up and retranq. Second attempt went fine.

So, I tamed him, put a saddle on him, named him Cinder, and even used him for today's meatrun!

He won't become one of my main rides, though - level 60 pre-tame, stats so crap I'd have to keep him away from the dung beetles for they might get confused.

Gave bees more flowers, didn't feed herbivores because there's still enough berries in the trough.

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PVE Rag / Island official

Ran back to the Island for another load of stuff to take to the Rag house.

Back on Rag I noticed many of the pillars I place yesterday in the water pen were gone today.  So I placed some more pillars today and will check back tomorrow... another minor ark mystery to solve I guess.

Saw I was running low on fertilizer so I let a few of the dinos out of their pods to collect poo. 

That was it today.

@Pocolate The non-story maps spawn higher level dinos by default. However, you can actually edit your .ini to make the story maps behave similarly, they are weighted to spawn lower levels on purpose. Just follow the instructions here https://old.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/bbrrul/updated_level_equalizer/ if you want, then do a dino wipe. It makes such a huge QoL difference I refuse to play without it now. Also don't sweat breaking your own transfer "rules" I did the same thing on my run when I was still on The Island and got a bunch of Christmas deinos lol. I keep to the rules mostly to keep myself from constantly getting distracted and never progressing, otherwise I'd just be running around taming a million spinos in all 3 variants all day.

Also just a quick tip if you're only planning to use the rexes for bosses you don't need stamina/weight on them, just hp and melee. They don't use stamina while unridden and you can disable harvesting so they don't overload themselves in the fight. Alternately if you're planning to do mutations it's more efficient to "stack" the mutations on each stat separately so as long as you have two identical animals with the stat you want to stack it doesn't matter if they're all combined or not since you'll breed them in together at the end anyway. Breeding is tedious enough as it is lol.

Pretty calm day for me today. It was a real :poop:storm at work and I ended up getting home late. Was happy to jump in game to relax, funny how a survival game of all things can be relaxing but then when you have as many hours as I do...

Anyway, I kept my gachas breeding and got a new crafting skill mutation. Got him raised up while continuing to replenish basic resources from nearby. Up to 144%, so will need 8 more muts to get to 160 for maximum loot quality. That's really not too bad. Unfortunately super unlucky with colors, they keep landing on an unused region. But it's a fair enough trade.

The hunt for the elusive element dust gacha continues.

Kinda wishing I had some other breeding project to keep myself amused with since I can't go out of render with the gacha babies out. I suppose I could do colors on something if I really wanted to.

• Like 2

PVE Rag official

Worked on water pen again this morning.  It is now (finally) a functional pen meaning it is fully surrounded by protective structures and I can put dinos inside and feel safe about doing it.  I suppose those pesky piranhas might get inside but the mantas and sharks will be kept out.  Although, now that I think about it, I haven't seen any piranhas around so maybe I am okay there too.  

I still have more work I want to do to the pen though.  I started placing a deep floor to cover up many of the weeds and give the whole structure a cleaner look.  My new partner has also accepted the challenge of doing some kind of beachy cabana type structure to make the whole experience a little more enjoyable.

Anyway, I am excited to pull out the baby whales and get them mature so we can start exploring the rest of the map.

• Like 1

I am sad today. I was afk letting the gachas breed and at some point a high level defense unit rolled up and killed Runt and my male yuty, who were both on passive. I was tabbed out so I didn't hear the music, I came back just in time to see the yuty die. That really sucks. Runt was one of my favorite tames. And the yuty happened to be my stat breeder, as my other ones died in the Overseer fight. Fantastic. Well, I know I don't need yutys on this map and I can get X ones on Genesis but still. So annoying because that was totally on me. 100% preventable.

At least I got another crafting skill mutation out of it. I guess.

Also started preparing for my next objective, because honestly the gachas aren't really a priority, just something easy to do when I'm afk. Crafted metal gates, bear traps, lots of tranq darts and many, many narcotics. Heartbreaker needs a mate if I'm going to get anything done on this map.

Unfortunately my night was cut short by a thunderstorm in the area so that was about it. Off to read instead. Which tbh I probably would have been doing anyways while the gacha grows up.

• Sad 2

@Cymas Thank you for all of the advice! I do know that the non-story maps usually have higher levels, I just never expected such luck within just a few steps of the obelisk. I currently run mods, including Kraken's Better Dinos, which is supposed to be equalizing my levels but I still seem to have very little luck... I had no idea that you could just edit the .ini file to fix that without a mod. I will have to give it a try, thank you!

As for breeding, the majority of my knowledge comes from watching Syntac on YouTube lol. I typically follow what he does with combining all of the best stats that I have and then working on mutations from there. I was only thinking Stam and weight for when I take them out for leveling purposes before the fights. I also usually just stack whatever mutations I get together because they seem so rare and in-between (health and melee or whatever I'm looking for). Are you saying it is better to have separate lines for health and melee mutations and then breed them together at the end? I thought of doing that in the past but I get so many random unneeded mutations that I figured it would take forever. I also run s+, so the hatchery picks up all of my eggs and I wasn't sure how I would sort out different breeding lines easily without building another breeding room. I appreciate all of the tips! It is nice to look at things from a different perspective sometimes.

(SP, The Island) I've had a bad couple of Ark days - my electric went out while I was playing on Monday and while I didn't lose a lot of progress, I was mysteriously kicked out of my tribe and had to force myself back in and then reclaim every dino I had out. I also made the mistake of trying to transfer back to the Island without updating my backup save file right before and my game crashed. Yep, I know better but I still do dumb things and try to rush.

It ended up working out for the best because I decided to extend my stay in Valguero and look for more stuff to tame and more eggs. My deinonychus are in no way the best, but I think I'm happy enough with them to just start breeding them up. I'm feeling the itch to get my new rexes back home to start breeding. I managed to find some with excellent health and melee stats, which again scraps my previous breeding project but it is what it is. I'm done hunting rexes now, so I feel good about starting over one last time.

I think I am going to transfer back tonight and take my time doing so. Wish me luck!

(Official, Crystal Isles) Refreshed base, made some tranq darts, killed a few dinos.

(Official, Valguero) Big day, big day! Went for a fire egg today, and was successful at it, too! Not right away, though: first I had to lure ice wyverns out of the trench, kill some, too. Then do the same to fire ones nearest to their cave's exit. Then I checked, and checked, and checked, but all nests were by one very active level 20. Bleh. Then I found 60, but decided to keep searching, but keep that one in mind in case I don't find anything better. But then... 160! Hell. Yes.

Also, during the luring away/killing part found a black-with-brown-belly ice wyvern. Naturally, killed her and got her dermis.

Also, saw a full black 145 female mammoth during chitin run, but was not in the mood for taming, so left her alone.

Fed dinos, partially incubated the wyvern egg, made some cementing paste, got a lot of obsidian form gachas.

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos.

• Like 2