So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

SP Scorched Earth

Defeated the Alpha Manticore late last night.  😀👍

I want to finish redesigning the base a bit.  I am not going crazy, I just want to clean up some things that were hastily built in the beginning... poor design bothers me.  And I would like to grab the remaining explorer notes to read the story... but other than that I am pretty much done with SE and need to decide what to do next.  If I remember right, think Aberation is the next map... but I think Rag sounds cool too.  IDK

• Like 2

Congratulations, Penguin!

(SP, The Island) The last few days have been pretty mundane. I've been breeding theri's, so a lot of my time has been spent afk waiting for them to breed, then the mutated babies to grow, rinse and repeat. I have managed to get 1 health and 3 melee mutations in that time.

Today was my most eventful day. There was a lot of taming to be done. I had found and tamed a male 140 basilo last night before bed but this morning I found a 135 female to mate with him. They aren't the best levels but hopefully an imprinted baby won't be half bad. At the same time, I found a 150 easter-colored megalodon! Tamed that up but for some reason it isn't giving me the check on the dossier saying I tamed one, so I will eventually have to tame another for my achievement. I finally had enough beer made up, so I tamed up a pink and yellow chalico that I had found near the red ob the other day. I also tamed up a titanoboa, which I've never done before and I'm glad it was a low level because it was a frustrating tame. I have no use for it besides the achievement, so I'm glad that's out of the way.

Next, I ran around trying to find a queen bee but all of the hives I broke were empty, so I gave up and started gathering honey from a nearby hive every 15 minutes with my bear until I had enough to make 2 s+ hives. Then it was time to head off to the snow to find a yuty, which I did... a 135 male. I died once and it was another frustrating tame that I struggled to trap for a good 30 minutes. It was all good though when he was finally mine - now I just have to keep my eyes peeled for a high level female. While I was looking around for a mate for him, I happened upon a 145 green heal pig and decided he must be mine! Of course I didn't have any kibble on me, so I flew him home with him biting my butt all the way. I will need a mate for him too, although I'm not sure if I want to use a pig or veggie cakes when I finally get to the bosses.

Now I'm just waiting for my last mutated theri to grow up so I can start breeding again. It was enough for the night though, so she's at 80% for now.

• Like 1

Xbox pve, Scouting purple drops on my tropegnatus start one next to ice biome place 20 spike walls after first wave heal my Giga at five Wave get disconect at wave seven. After a long time (there is alredy a player with this Account connected/ wrong Adress) i can join the server again pick up my Bag freeze my giga fly back to Base log off.

(SP, The Island) I ran the swamp cave for the first time. I got discouraged when I nearly lost Aqua, my well-leveled caving bary right at the beginning. I healed him up and we tried again though, which was well worth it. I ended up with an ascendant rex saddle and an ascendant quetz saddle blueprint. I died once trying to sneak through a crevice that Aqua didn't fit through because I was instantly swarmed by spiders. I ran back and he was fine though, so we continued on. After clearing out the artifact and the loot drops, I headed out and found an apprentice rifle (I've been using primitive) in a purple drop and a Mastercraft flak chest piece in a yellow drop. Finally! I've been getting metal wall blueprints and crop plots for days in the supply drops around my base... so it was great to see some real loot!

I thought I would run the cave on carno island but the ark gods had different plans for me. As soon as I landed, I jumped down and threw out Aqua. All of the baddies around came straight for me, of course... and I am not great at combat without my mount. I hadn't load my shotgun prior, so you know.. I died. On the flight back with my backup argy, I spotted a 145 pink and yellow quetzal. "Luckily" I had my tapejara on me, so I threw him out and proceeded to chase the thing through the sky. 30 minutes later, he was down to half health and at 7k out of 17k torpor and it was dropping too fast for me to make any real dent. I was running low on darts and was too scared to keep shooting arrows, so I gave up and flew back to base. I signed out, feeling completely frustrated. I decided I will go back for my tames tomorrow and maybe try to think of another way to get that quetzal if he doesn't disappear.

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Fed gachas, took kibble, darts, rifle, bolas, 3 cryopods (1 just in case) and went to tame a pair of beelzebufos. Tranqed 2 females, 130 and 145. 130 got damaged at some point, effectiveness dropped, so I took away her kibble and killed her. 145 was fine, tamed, I named her Dolores Leapfrog. Podded her, went back to the base, made and colored a saddle for her, picked up and opened gacha crystals, took a bit more kibble, went to get a male frog. Found a 130, knocked him out, but he was nearly dead, so I went home for an owl. Healed him up, tamed, named him Daniel Leapfrog, gave him a saddle, too. Colored, of course.

Took Dolores to the jungle to see if frogs are as good as people say. Well... Usable. The attack would be better if it was possible to hit higher/lower, otherwise it might take a while to get the angle right to hit meganeuras that fly a bit higher then usual. Speed is okay. Pretty fun to ride. I got a bit over 3 stacks of cementing paste by the time I returned to the base, making it in the chemistry bench would have been faster.

So, the frogs stay, but as fun mounts, not as something I'd seriously use.

Filled troughs.

(Official, Extinction) Logged on to find myself on my house's roof. jumped off, took wyvern, gathered meat, took para, gathered berries, filled the trough.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Refreshed the base.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

(SP, The Island) Took one of my recently tamed basilo out to the ocean to look for jellyfish. Gathered a decent amount of biotoxin and made shocking tranq darts, then headed out to find that quetzal I had been failing to knock out the other night. I managed to get her down right on the edge of the redwoods. Guarded her until she tamed up and quickly podded her.

With that out of the way, I headed off to the cave on carno Island so I could collect my tames. Spotted a 145 male rex and tamed him up while I was there, gathering explorer notes while he was unconscious. I finally headed into the cave after that to collect the artifact and check for loot. There was only one drop, which seems to be my typical luck in most caves... it had a Mastercraft ghillie legging set inside, which worked out perfectly to get rid of my ice cube status.

Went back to base and switched out gear to run the swamp cave again now that I've discovered how close it is. Everything was going fine until an arthro broke my armor, so I had to turn around and run out of there before I died. Unfortunately I am out of organic polymer, so I couldn't repair my ghillie. I hatched up all of the theri eggs - no mutations, killed them all. Signed out.

• Like 1

Um, I think the update last night might have wiped out all my single player worlds.  Nothing would load today and my only option was to start a new character.  Grrrrrr.

I switched over to my PVE official island survivor, and it loaded up just fine.  So I took my wyvern out of storage and just flew around for awhile to see what has changed since I last played.  Saw a few changes in the form of new bases or empty spaces where bases used to be.  Game got laggy and I flew home... just in case.

Tried to talk myself into unpodding more critters and playing for awhile but couldn't do it.  The difficulties of playing on that server with all the crashes still haunt my dreams.  And I think I am at a crossroad once again with this game. 

IDK, it might be the end.  I will have to think about it.

------

[edit / update]

So I also posted on the general forum earlier that I had an issue with SP account.  Then I saw it was moved by admin to the bug forum that nobody reads.  However, there are a ton of people with the same issue apparently.  Anyway, here is a piece of what I said:

[ "I see now there are sooo many others experiencing this issue as well.  A ton of empathy being felt right now for all my brothers and sisters out there.  However, I will say this... Thank you, ARK, for helping me pass the time during COVID.  You played a role in keeping me home and keeping me safe.  BUT... somehow I always new it would end like this... strong disappointment, loss, anguish at being defeated not by raptor, rex, or Rockwell, but by those of you pulling the strings behind the scenes.  I will check again tonight to see if it is fixed.  If not, I will walk away.  You will be unloaded from my console to make room for whatever game I wish to play next.   And Ark 2 will never be a thing in my house.  Good luck."] 

Edited by Penguin73
  • Sad 1

(Official, Valguero) Filled the trough near gachas (it's also velona/thyla/half-the-dimorphs, owl, wyvern, and half-the-argents trough) with meat. Took some mushrooms from it. Grabbed narcotics, rifle, darts, pods, and went looking for procoptodons. Found a 130 black-bellied male. After some time managed to lure him into my trap AND! Together with him two more procoptodons were caught! One was not what I need: 85 male. Meh. But the other was a 25 female (with black sides). So, I knocked the 130 and the 25 out, let the 85 out of the trap and tamed the ones I wanted. While they were taming, I put food into the rest of my troughs.

And now the they ARE tamed, I have all I need to get a new Dark Hopper: I have Jumps (the wild level 130 male) for stats and the belly color, Roo (the wild level 25 male) for body and stripes color, and Leapy (the wild level 25 female) to make those colors meet.

Looked through my BP vault to see if I have a procoptodon BP, turns out I do - 50-something, so not great, but better than nothing. Made a saddle and colored it, Jumps will be wearing it until I get a full black male with his stats that'll become my actual battle/travel kangaroo.

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos. Only meat today, they still have some berries form the last time.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Refreshed base, and checked wyvern inventories - yep, still good on crystals.

And that's all for today.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

Um, I think the update last night might have wiped out all my single player worlds.  Nothing would load today and my only option was to start a new character.  Grrrrrr.

I switched over to my PVE official island survivor, and it loaded up just fine.  So I took my wyvern out of storage and just flew around for awhile to see what has changed since I last played.  Saw a few changes in the form of new bases or empty spaces where bases used to be.  Game got laggy and I flew home... just in case.

Tried to talk myself into unpodding more critters and playing for awhile but couldn't do it.  The difficulties of playing on that server with all the crashes still haunt my dreams.  And I think I am at a crossroad once again with this game. 

IDK, it might be the end.  I will have to think about it.

------

[edit / update]

So I also posted on the general forum earlier that I had an issue with SP account.  Then I saw it was moved by admin to the bug forum that nobody reads.  However, there are a ton of people with the same issue apparently.  Anyway, here is a piece of what I said:

[ "I see now there are sooo many others experiencing this issue as well.  A ton of empathy being felt right now for all my brothers and sisters out there.  However, I will say this... Thank you, ARK, for helping me pass the time during COVID.  You played a role in keeping me home and keeping me safe.  BUT... somehow I always new it would end like this... strong disappointment, loss, anguish at being defeated not by raptor, rex, or Rockwell, but by those of you pulling the strings behind the scenes.  I will check again tonight to see if it is fixed.  If not, I will walk away.  You will be unloaded from my console to make room for whatever game I wish to play next.   And Ark 2 will never be a thing in my house.  Good luck."] 

Not what you want to hear but its been around since the start of ARK. Its worse on console because we can't really recover any saves..

I'm sorry this happened, its happened to me a few times as well. Its like getting wiped on a pvp server.. demotivating. Best of luck.

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Not what you want to hear but its been around since the start of ARK. Its worse on console because we can't really recover any saves..

I'm sorry this happened, its happened to me a few times as well. Its like getting wiped on a pvp server.. demotivating. Best of luck.

Thanks for the words.  It is sad to know it has happened before to so many people and I still held the belief I would be spared.  A little naive on my part perhaps. 

Well, I have some decisions to make.  My immediate anger has simmered, and I will admit my initial response of quitting the game completely might have been premature.  I still have a PVE account with a survivor close to level 100 and lots of good tames with it... so not ALL is lost.  And a small silver lining is that I am getting things done around the house today.  Wife will be happy.

So sorry to hear about your save file, Penguin! I love this game but I'm always afraid of what is going to happen whenever there is an update.

(SP, The Island) I only had a few minutes to play today, so I mainly just put away things I had collected in my adventures the last time I was on - blueprints, saddles, and such. Healed up my bary so he will be ready for whatever our next adventure is. I then took a quick trip to the snow and snatched up a male and female kairuku so I can start a polymer farm. Flew back to base and signed out.

Eh, nothing on SP.  LOL.  That bird is cooked.

It is hard to stay away when one has an addiction.  And I felt the itch to do something different so I took a secondary survivor that I used many months ago to poke around on Scorched Earth for a bit and transferred him to a Rag server.  I decided I kinda want to explore some of the worlds that I have never really seen before.  I don't think I want to complete them so much as just poke around to say "I was there."

I picked a starting point in the SW corner and walked around some of the islands for a bit.  Built a raft.  Found a small secluded beach and made a small round house with the basic furnishings.  It will serve as a good point to launch from and I will be a raft explorer for awhile.

This server seems to be very populated with a very active chat box, which is good.  However, the overpopulation might be the source of the ever-present lag / dc issues... but I don't plan to stay long. 

• Like 1

(SP, The Island) Ran the swamp cave and found nothing of any great value. Found a diseased leech and purposely got swamp fever for the achievement. Went back to base and repaired my scuba tank, switched out gear for taming supplies. Headed to the ocean to tame up a 135 megalodon I had seen recently to make up for the fact the last one I tamed didn't give me credit for the achievement. Tamed that up and then killed a low level mosa I had also spotted. Thought about trying to kill a level 30 alpha mosa that was also nearby but he disappeared by the time I was done with the other. Swam around to look for loot crates but found none.. found a 120 plesi with Easter colors and tried to knock it out but it kept running and I could hardly keep up. I ended up losing it when I got attacked by a shark and two other plesi... Killed an alpha leed and got my pirate hat skin. 

Back on land, I spotted two high level pelagornis - a 150 female and a 130 male. Tamed them both up and took them home to get an imprinted baby with the best stats. I plan to start fishing to try to get some decent blueprints since I have a lack of cave loot crates and very little luck with supply drops. It turns out that the waters my base is positioned on are deep enough to toss out a basilo, so I started breeding my male and female to get an imprinted baby with the best stats for that too. I want to make my way into the underwater caves soon.

Threw out my theri eggs to try my luck with mutations again - only one but it wasn't on a good stat, so killed them all. Put away my collected treasures and loot, and signed out for the night.

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Fed dinos. Bred thylas and procoptos. Bred tek rexes (eggs went to the fridge). Made some cementing paste. Found an alpha rex (level 55), killed. Didn't forget to wear the chibi.

Gave bees more flowers, and since I used repellent anyway - tamed a new bee.

Did beaver dams, got a nice amount of cementing paste.

Procopto born, mother's health, killed. Thyla born, male, double mutations (never got that before!), dad's health and mutated on it, dad's food and second mutation on that. Dad's melee. Mutated color red (1) on stripes. That boy stays.

Will check on sidebases today, but later. For now that's all.

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Refreshed base.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

PVE official Rag

I have not been focused on taming, just building so far.  Unfortunately I have had to kill some really nice critters that have wandered into my camp the past couple of days.  150 terror bird, 135 thorny dragon, and a 130 thyla have all died at my hand... not because I didn't want them, but because I didn't have the narcs and food to tame them up right.  But yesterday I logged in to find a 135 anky on my doorstep and I couldn't resist.  I ran around and gathered enough berries to make narcotics for some tranc arrows and tamed it up with berries.  It took awhile but luckily the evo event was happening so it was a little more manageable.  It finished taming as a level 211 with slightly below average health and weight but good melee.  Eh, not the best, but once I put on some extra levels it will be fine.

I built up the raft to a more sturdy stone structure.  It has a small house on the back and a taming pen up front just in case I see something else I can't resist.

After outfitting the raft with some basic amenities I took it out for a spin.  I quickly realized I was without a spyglass and made it my mission to find some crystal.  I checked wiki for resource spawns and discovered there is no crystal in the SW islands... but I eventually made my way back to the mainland  and found a crystal node... and made a spyglass.

That was about it.

• Like 1

Well, it's been a very long time since I last logged into Ark. I was getting a little bit fatigued so I took a long break to do other stuff, play Valheim, etc.

But as always I eventually get the itch to come back, and for the past week or so I've been going hard on the final push through Aberration. I've made so much progress, it's insane.

Most importantly, I decided I'm not going to do all 3 tiers of bosses, I'm just going to go straight for Alpha Rockwell. Mainly because I really, really hate the Hidden Grotto cave and I really don't want to do that 2 more times. And because I'm really far behind where I thought I would be at this point due to not being active, which is fine on its own really, but chances are I won't be experiencing Genesis 2 on launch since I'll be very busy with 2 more maps to go.

Anyway, I was surprised at how close I was to finishing up. I had just lost my focus and needed the break for that.

Yesterday was both super lucky and rather unfortunate. I spent a large part of my day running the surface for loot drops and farming reaper kings. I finally got what I needed the most, a high damage pump-action shotgun. 292 damage should be good enough. I hope. My backup gun is much, much weaker.

Between runs I headed down into the red zone and fought reaper queens to get the pheromone glands. Not gonna lie I didn't really melee them down, it was way easier to shotgun them to the face. I am definitely not lacking in ammo right now. I have not actually gotten my own reaper yet and probably won't for the purposes of this run, but I do plan to come back for a max level one at some point.

In fact, I made more shells while I was at it. I'm up to 700 for the boss, I might go for 100 more plus whatever I have leftover from other stuff.

This might be really silly to admit but during the day "season" I went up to the top of the portal area and practiced running and gunning on the rock drake. I have always had such a hard time with the controls for that and the middle of a boss battle is not when you want to learn lol. I feel somewhat confident that I will be able to manage. I do know you can cloak to avoid stuff, yes I also know about the Cactus Broth solo strategy but I'm not importing anything from Scorched Earth so I'm rolling with this.

I am actually ready except for one last thing. Alpha Reaper King Barb. I have yet to see an Alpha Reaper King, which is what I was doing while running drops. I know I can't solo one on my drake but I set up a "kill box" below with some of my boss tames. I have one of my spare drakes for mate boosting, a pair of spinos and the other thing I raised while playing today, a pair of megalos.

The megalos don't have great stats but I got an asc saddle and figured why not, it can't hurt. Funnily enough I died for the first time in ages when I took one out across the river to level up a bit, and lost one of my triplet shinehorns which has been with me for so long. Sad. Loaded up the next one and walked the megalos to my kill area on my drake and let them shred everything on the way. It was so much easier. I can see why people like megalos for this map. I don't know that I'll breed any more, but I can. I just only have the one good saddle. I guess it doesn't matter that much since they're mostly going to be there for crowd control. And I have plenty of time to spare for raising them right now during the day season. Might do some more, depends on how I feel. I have a handful of spinos for this already, I know you can't fit that many on the platform so I only did a few.

So yeah, I am literally stuck waiting for an alpha reaper to progress. I am hoping I can do that during the week so I will be able to take on Rockwell and maybe, just maybe start on Extinction by the weekend.

Tonight will be more reaper king/drop farming and maybe a bit more farming for metal/ammo. And maybe raising more megalos, we'll see how I feel later. The alpha reaper is the highest priority now.

• Like 2

PVE Rag official

Took the raft along the southern edge of the map and explored all the inlets and rivers.

Found silica pearls back closer to home in the SW islands and grabbed some of the easier ones.   Lots of sharks out today.

Harvested some wood, thatch, and stone while rates were still 2x.

Went home and fed the anky.

Kicked around the idea of taking my main PVE survivor from the island and exlporing some other Rag servers... and if I find one a little less laggy then I might make the move.  I am really enjoying this map.

That was it.

• Like 1

(SP, The Island) I started off by checking to see what I managed to get for stats on my baby basilos. I got one girl with all of the stats and one girl with a health mutation but not the good melee. I'm sure I can work with it somehow. Hatched theri babies - one mutation but it was no good.

Time to move on to bigger and better things. I still needed 4 artifacts to complete my collection, so I decided to go for the next one I was capable of getting: Artifact of the Pack. What an adventure this was! I was freezing every time I touched the water and had to keep taking breaks to heal up on land. I got lost and spent a good portion of my night just trying to navigate my way to the artifact. I finally found it and managed to get two blue drops, both of which were junk. After that, I hightailed it out of there as quickly as I could find my way out.

Back at base, I found my baby basilo was still nowhere close to adulthood. Disappointing, considering I was gone for what felt like forever. I hatched the new theri eggs and a bunch of penguin eggs to get polymer. Killed all of them (no new mutations on theri's). Finally, I fixed all of my armor that I had been using and put away my treasures. Signed out.

Edited by Pocolate

(Official, Valguero) Fed dinos, bred rexes (but forgot about it, so eggs decayed), bred procoptos (but later realized that I don't feel like playing so long today, so podded-unpodded), made some cementing paste, hunted with a frog for some cementing paste, stole from beavers yet more cementing paste. Took a therizino and went to the swamp to get more mushrooms and flowers, barely out of my base saw a rex biting something. "Something" turned out to be Grape, my current favorite lymantria. Saved Grape, put him safely on a cliff, went to get flowers and mushrooms, got a ton of flowers (it'll last me months!), some mushrooms, returned Grape to the base.

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Refreshed base.

• Like 1

Well, last night was a bad season for surface hunting so I ended up raising 4 more megalos and farming a bit more metal just to pass the time.

Tonight was finally the night cycle but alas, no alpha reaper. I did use the getallstate command to verify there are currently 4 up, but I can't seem to find any of them. I'm a bit concerned that at least 1 of them is probably spawned in a cliff or a rock or something, as I often hear a reaper come up but then I can't find it. Wonder if it would be worth a dino wipe.

Either way I'm yet again bottlenecked by rng.

My drake has been doing quite well against them but the heavy damage takes a toll. I do lead some reapers back to my kill box for my boss dinos to shred once in awhile but I feel like I take as much damage luring them in as I do just fighting. They're mostly there for the alpha anyway. I'm reluctant to move them but I suppose I will if I find it necessary to switch to a different surface area. Night season is over, back to 50/50 for a bit. If I don't find one by the time it switches back to day season I'll rotate to another surface area. So annoying.

• Like 1