So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

(Official, Valguero) Spontaneously decided to get a tuso. Took 50 black pearls, according to Dododex that would be enough to get a 135 with current rates. 2 SCUBAs, and my turtle, Mint. Rode Killer Sausage (my main basilo) into the Abyss. Found a tuso. Unfortunately, I didn't check Dododex to see if 50 would be enough for a 150. it wasn't. Mint died (don't care much - she was tamed for color, her only job before today was to be beautiful, and yet she failed even that, as her textures, unlike those of wild carbos and carbos of other players, never loaded fully for more than a few seconds). Killed the tuso. Returned home. Uploaded some darts, Extra kibble, narcoticts, and 2 cryopods.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Took all the uploaded stuff and went to tame a pair of thylas. Found a 145 male. Started shooting. When he fell, turned out I accidentally tranqed the identically colored 15 male. Searched more. Returned to the first place. Found 95 female, tranqed, tamed, podded. Re-found the 145, tranqed, tamed, podded.

Uploaded.

(Official, Valguero) Retrieved the thylas. Named the female Cinnamon and the male Hazelnut. Made saddles for them, tested Hazelnut's strength against a bronto - he's awesome! I definitely need to find a good thyla saddle at some point.

Logged off.

(Official, Extinction) Fed the dinos. No dust run because didn't feel like doing one, and also because thanks to the latest bossfight being a full success, I don't feel the need to send dust to Valg to make element out of that.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

Xbox SP, The Island

Yesterday, I managed to sneak in a few hours... we had a severe snow storm here so it put work on hold for a few days. I started getting everything ready for the boss army breeding: cryo’d all the yutys in the Colosseum to make way for theris, podded most of my other less useful dinos too just to clean things up. I took out my new thyla as a baby killer in the Colosseum for all the rejects. I don’t think I told you guys about this.... when I was flying around the redwoods looking for otters, I found a medium-level thyla just chillin on the shores. I couldn’t resist flying it back to base and taming it because I’ve never owned one! 

Aaaaanyway... I’ve got my two wild-tamed theris breeding at the moment. I got a Perfect F, just waiting on Perfect M to reveal himself and then the real breeding can start. I think I’m gonna collect 10 or so females after the perfect pair to increase my chances. I had 5 for the yutys and it wasn’t enough. 

That’s all for now, but I’m excited to report even this minimal progress. 

• Like 2

(Official, Valguero) Bred thylas and gachas. Fed dinos. Hunted with Hazelnut, yep, still awesome. Even pinned and shredded some dinos that walked too close to cliffs. Thylas are fun.

Cinnamon gave birth, but the baby had her health, so killed. I want the thyla baby I'll raise to have Hazelnut's stats (okay, it can have Cinnamon's oxygen if it wants. Even her food! I'm generous like that. But the rest should be from Hazelnut).

Hunted with my MEK. Accidentally landed into the lake, turns out jellies can stun MEKs and dismount riders form them, which makes no sense whatsoever. Had to grab a wyvern to get my MEK and my deathbag back (it happened close enough to the shore that sitting on the beach and breathing at the cnidarias was an option).

Gacha babies were born, no dust, killed.

Logged off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SP Scorched Earth

Leveled the rex army more.  Most of the rexes now have 50k health and about 1500% melee.  I'm pretty sure that will be fine.  Sometimes I have an issue with over-kill. lol

Did some caves and searched for red desert drops hoping to find a yuty saddle.  Still nothing.

Since I only have one yuty I have also been searching for a good mate over the past month or so.  Heck, I would even settle for a second of the same sex if it was good, but I havn't even found one over level 100 since I tamed the first one.  I would love to have another as a back-up plan should things go wrong.  But now I am running into the same issue I have with the thylacoleos... new yuty spawns are very rare.  The map once crawled with them and now I search for hours and sometimes find nothing.  Might have to dino-wipe soon.  And I have not even seen a thyla in over two weeks.

Took my lightning wyvern (named him D'Artagnon) to the trench.  Killed all the wyverns and now have about 35-40 talons of each.  Collected eggs and found a 160 lightning.  Sweet.  That is my highest one yet.  

I let the trench reset then lured a female wyvern into my trap for milk.  Flew home, cooked up the egg and it came out male.  Good stats, and interestingly has no blue.  All lavender.  I named him Aramis.  Going with the Three Muskateers them here.

Fought my first alpha death worm yesterday too.  I was riding D'Artagnon at the time and had no issues.  Was rewarded with a few black pearls and a very snazzy manticore helmet skin which surprised me.  I didn't think you could get those without fighting the manticore.  Anyway, It looks really cool and I'm not complaining about it. 

• Like 3

Welp, somehow my game files got corrupted. Not sure how or why, but I lost a few hours of progress, meaning that the 112 Icthyornis I tamed is gone along with the G3 vulture eggs I had started collecting. I assume it had something to do with the update, since when I came back to the game, the spring event was over and the files were corrupted.

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty pissed. I reverted my save, but this time I went to try to tame the Icthy I wound up killing it somehow, but not before it took my best pike, which I wasn't able to find again. Then on the way back I saw an all white female Dimorphodon I wanted to tame, but when I finally brought it down, my taming effectiveness was ruined by three snakes all dogpiling on me.

Moreover, since I thought the event was ending on the 19th I thought I still had time to collect some dino candy, but apparently I didn't. I'm legit considering wiping again back to just before my files got corrupted. Having the files get corrupted is bad enough, but losing the pike as well as two good animals on top of that has me at the end of my rope. Dealing with problems I didn't have before due to a bug in the game just feels cheap, and I'm not above using my own cheap tactics to circumvent the issue.

Admittedly, one thing made me laugh during this debacle. I saw this DireWolf traipsing about when I was tracking the Dimorphodon:

20210417003037-2.jpg

20210417003037-2.jpg

He's only level 16 unfortunately, or I'd consider trying to tame him just for the memes.
  • Like 2

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Refreshed base.

(Official, Valguero) Logged on to find 3 baby gachas (1 set of twins) and two pregnant gachas - turns out, I forgot to disable mating on Generous. Claimed the babies, checked, killed. Fed dinos. Bred mammoths, thylas and gasbags. Thyla got mom's health again, killed.

Went to look for a female spino, found none, but on one of the spino spawns there was a rex. Killed it and when I came there again... A spino! Female! 150!

Tamed, named Strawberry Death (she's red). 343.4% melee post-tame.

Brought her to the base, bred. Two remaining gachas gave birth - no dust, killed. Podded extra gachas, leaving only Pearl out - I'm good on black pearls that the one previously active makes, but what I'm not good at all on is obsidian, which is one of the things Pearl makes (the other are silica pearls - hence the name).

Gasbags and mammoth gave disappointing babies - gabags took after mother, very bad stats, and mammoth twins were brown.

Spino hatched - father's melee, unfortunately, but mom's health, weight, stam and oxygen, and dad's body color (dark red) so I'll keep that.

Also, found a thyla saddle, not great - 40-something, and item rather than BP, but better than nothing.

And that's all for today.

6 hours ago, XGiga said:

Logged on my single player and my otter was gone. No death in tribe log, just gone. spent an hour looking for it. No luck. We had matching rex helmets too. After I got that behind me I tamed a procoptodon, a quetz and a bronto. Then logged off.

If you log off, disconnect, or lay down on a bed with a shoulder pet still on your shoulder, often it will hover in the air above the spot you logged off last.  So go to that spot and look in the air.  I always forget to pick them up again when I log in and have to retrace my steps to find them.

SP Scorched Earth.

I could not stomach only having one Yuty so I postponed fighting the manticore for now.  It is a real nice wild tame and I hate the thought of losing it before I breed it.  And, since I don't have a good saddle (or anything above primitive) I feel I should at least ride something imprinted.

So I searched some more and after several more hours of frustration at the lack of yuty population... I dino wiped yesterday.  And it was refreshing to find many yuty on the map again, however they were all low.  I went through a cycle of killing everthing and searching over the re-spawns only to find more low levels.  Eventually, I was facing burn out and decided to tame the best one I could find.  It was a level 70 female with average stats.  She tamed up to level 105.

I took her back to camp and settled into the thought of breeding with the good male and hoping I would eventually (over several generation) get a baby to match all the dad's stats.  So I bred them and was pleasantly surprised that the first baby came out with the dad's health, stamina, and weight.  Melee was the only thing from the mother.  On top of that the baby was female. I podded the mother and am no roughly 50% done with raising the baby.  I will breed her back to the male as soon as she is ready.  Another advantage of SP mode... I have breeding rates ticked up and raising a baby yuty takes hours, not days.  So, I should be able to hatch a new baby tonight after work.

17 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

If you log off, disconnect, or lay down on a bed with a shoulder pet still on your shoulder, often it will hover in the air above the spot you logged off last.  So go to that spot and look in the air.  I always forget to pick them up again when I log in and have to retrace my steps to find them.

I did! I was in my base, and when I logged on it was gone! It was not floating, it was not on the ground, it was gone! I checked everywhere I had logged off in the week. Thanks anyway.

Edited by XGiga

SP Scorched Earth

New yuty is all grown up.  She is all white (body and back stripe) with red just on the crown of her head and the tip of her tail.  I really like it, and the white will really help any good color mutation pop in the future.  So I immediately set her to mate and was a little disappointed the baby came out with mom's melee and dad's colors.  Bummer.  I kept the baby but will try again at my next opportunity.

PVE Island

Refreshed base.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but not to Ark. I have recently started fresh on The Island in singleplayer on pc with some light mods. I intend to do story mode and ascend through the maps one by one but also work on achievements as well (especially that pesky Tamed One of Every Dino one!). I started out on xbox a couple of years ago but have never gotten beyond prep work for anything boss related, so I'm excited for the challenge. This will be really long but I've been enjoying reading all of your stories the last week or so and wanted to contribute too.

Yesterday was a big day for me. It was a day off, so I spent the morning grinding for resources. My base is situated on the water between the Redwoods, the Swamp, and the Black Sands areas. It's a pretty decent area for gathering. I took out the mammoth to get wood on the cliff near my base because the trees are closer together and easier to hit consecutively. Next, I took out my doed and flew him around to get a bunch of stone. Finally, I flew the anky out to the volcano and one other mountain to gather a bunch of metal and to keep an eye out for high level rexes or therizinos. No luck on that front but I'm thinking of starting to breed the theris I already have to at least get a move on.

Once I got back to base, I started the metal cooking in my four stone forges in preparation for making the industrial forge. After making the polymer I would need, I realized I was running drastically low on chitin and cementing paste. What better time to go on a cave run! I grabbed my imprinted saber Susie and flew her out to the chitin cave. It was a disappointment - the only things that had respawned since I was last there were the Onyc and the artifact. Grabbed the artifact and killed everything in sight for levels... and headed off to the other easy cave in the bottom right of the map (can't remember its name). We gathered chitin by the buckets and grabbed the artifact and the one lowly cave drop. Since I was in the area and on quite the roll, we headed over to the lava cave next in hopes of loot. Luckily I had my otter with me so I could grab two artifacts in the lava cave since it respawned while I was desperately going in circles trying to find my way out. I'm pretty sure this was where I found my Mastercraft shotgun blueprint... now if only I could find a decent rifle blueprint. Loot drops seem to be far and few between though.

Back at base after that long adventure, I decided it was time to start working more on my base. It's mostly just been a couple of glass windows here and some stone walls there... building is not my strong suit and I have to be in the mood to do it. My bary's and sabers were just sitting in my main base to breed because I had yet to build a breeding specific area too. So, I put everything away and started building. I at least got the walls to where I wanted them and then added my artifact pedestals on ceilings so I could display my accomplishments. Next, I moved on to craft my industrial forge and then I finished up by expanding out with a hallway that now leads to my new breeding pen/building. I put up two walls high for the breeding pen, placed my hatchery and nanny, ran electric out there from my main base and then signed out.

Today I had to work, so I didn't have nearly as much time. I bred my Argies in the morning and imprinted on one with all of the good stats. I also got a perfect stat male bary and a blue mutation (food). After work, I bred up the perfect Bary and the blue one to get an imprinted one with the color but forgot I was low on fish meat and my half-imprinted baby died. Oh well, that will have to wait for tomorrow.

The last step was to put on my roof and add some lights to brighten the place up in my main base section. I am really happy with the result. It's a round base with tree platform wedge roofing. Next, I added more walls to the breeding area to get it to 4 high but I'm not sure how I am going to do the roof for it so that will be for another day. My inspiration has fizzled. Finally, I started working on installing beer barrels and happened to see a 145 tapejara flying directly above my base! Tamed it with a little difficulty (a dilo came out of nowhere in my taming pen and chomped him quite a few times so I had to wait for him to wake back up so I could knock him out again). With that out of the way (I've been wanting one for a while), I cryo'ed him and then set my perfect Argy to breed with my Easter colored one with the hopes of a nicely colored, imprinted bird with decent stats. Lastly, I set my highest melee and highest health theri's to breed so they will be ready to go next time and logged out for the night. I feel very accomplished for the past two days!

Edited by Pocolate
Proofreading
  • Like 1

With my Quetz I started looking for some spider slayin' megatherium (finally). I decided that I want to move onto other maps after the island is complete so decided to actually do something in this game. I went to the snow and found nothing. not going to the redwoods because angry thylas in the trees. witnessed a yuty and its gang of carnos mug a mammoth. Killed the yuty with my fab standing on my quetz and stole his lungs. Found no high level megatherium (highest was lvl 60) put an end to a purlova cause obvious reasons. farmed the cave with the hunter artifact for chiten. logged off.

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Fed dinos. Unpodded spino for a bit of raising. Bred thylas. Fed gachas to get some obsidian. Bred allos, rexes, spinos, eggs went into the fridge. Hunted seagulls just to pass the time. Spino raised to 2%. Had to pod-unpod Cinnamon, because I decided I don't want to play for 2 more hours that it'd take for her to give birth to a (likely disappointing) baby thyla. Repodded spino, logged off. Side-bases on (Official, Crystal Isles) and (Official, Extinction) can wait until tomorrow, I'm not in the mood for more ARK today.

After far too many hours in game, my efforts have at last come to fruition. I hatched The Übergeier. Straight out of the egg he was a level 216 vulture with 1,025 HP, 462 damage, and 89 weight, which imprinted out to 1,230 HP, 547 damage, and 106 weight. After leveling him up some, I took him out to the swamp (while wearing my best set of flak armor just in case) and he made short work of everything there. I died once to a group of snakes literally seconds after The Übergeier killed a Baryonyx that had damaged me pretty badly, but the vulture was perfectly fine.

I actually got the little guy to kill a Brontosaurus and a Paraceratherium surprisingly quickly, so I sent him after a level 4 alpha raptor that I had seen wandering around, and he made short work of that too. I feel a hell of a lot safer on foot now that I've got a loyal little bodyguard on my shoulder.

Since I'm really going to need a fast, mobile animal I went skirting around the redwoods in hopes of getting a good terror bird. I'd been having a hard time finding good levels, but this time I found a level 116 wandering around. It was a surprisingly easy tame considering. The other birds were scattered around, so I just took those out individually (or rather, The Übergeier did, since I'm basically trying to power level him) and then I just bola'd my quarry and knocked him out.

Finally got around to crafting the gun whose blueprint I had lying around in storage for ages. It took 869 ingots to craft, but it's a lot more durable and a lot more powerful than my last rifle. I figured it was a better use of my ingots at the moment than just trying to make more vaults.

My next plan is to make a quick trip to Genesis, see if I can nab a few X-Argentavis. Since I can't use a flyer (I tried earlier, you can imagine how well that went), the terror bird should be the next best thing.

SP Scorched Earth

I bred the yuty some more.  Hatched two eggs last night.  Got a single female in one and twins ( M / F) with the other.  However all three had dad's bad color and mom's bad melee.  I sacrificed them to the desert.

Then this morning I hatched another egg before work and it is Female with mom's good color and dad's good melee. Woohoo!  I will raise this one as it has the best colors and all the best stats.   Getting a white male yuty is only a matter of time now.  But, at least I now have a breeding pair with all the same good stats.  I am getting closer.

(Official, Extinction) Went for a dust run. Gathered dust, uploaded, tamed and uploaded a dung beetle just because. Returned home, found that my wyvern (who was there before dust run) is missing. Looked for him, failed to find. Fed the dinos. As for the wyvern - either he'll show up at some point, or I'll send a replacement either form CI or from Valguero.

(Official, Valguero) Retrieved the dust and the beetle. Had to make some of the dust into element because Topaz Thorn couldn't carry it all as is, but most will stay in dust form, at least for now. Put the new dung beetle with the other two.

Dinos are good on food still, so didn't refill the troughs. Logged off.

Also, not something new I did, but a thought: maybe I should get my side-survivor on Ext a managarmr instead of a new wyvern. I have a few mana-puppies in the fridge back on Valg, so I can just raise one, and I have a sorta okay saddle BP so that's not a problem either. They're easy to raise, I have 2 males and a female, so in case of anything I can make more. Plus they're faster, not so annoying to keep on follow, and I'm pretty sure they'd hit harder than any sidebase quality wyvern.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

SP Scorched Earth

Not much time to play today before work, but I pulled out the yuty for a bit and she is now 89% mature.  Made a metal run.  Gathered meat for the troughs.  Made some kibble.  And found a whole cabinet full of clay that I had forgotten about, so I made a bunch of adobe stuff for a building project that has been on the back burner for awhile.

(SP, The Island) Started the day by taking out a bary to get fish meat for breeding prep. Decided not to start breeding the bary's immediately because I still had the argies going and I didn't want them to eat all of the fish meat, which I'm sure is what happened last time. Put the fish meat in the fridge, podded the bary and went to hatch the argy eggs I had available. Nothing good, killed them all.

Decided to take a chance and head to the cave with the Artifact of the Skylord, which is one I've never done before. Killed two groups of bats and then got slaughtered by the next set. I realized I wasn't prepared and headed back home after using my sleeping bag. This started a dimorph taming hunt, in which I found a 150 near my base and 2x 140's but I accidentally killed one when I pulled the wrong rifle. I bred up the two I got after comparing with my event tames and got my perfect breeding pair. Set them to breed and hatched argies. No good, killed.

Hatched theris, managed to get a breeding pair of twins after about 2-3 sets (I toss about 10 eggs for each set). Set off for a metal run while waiting for them to grow. Found a 110 pink and green quetzal near the red ob during my adventures, vowed to come back for it. Found another 150 dimorph and tamed it. It had better melee than my current set so I swapped it out for the female. Got a new breeding set of those and started that again, ate the old eggs and killed the old breeding pair to keep confusion to a minimum.

Podded the argies after getting frustrated with the lack of results from several sessions of egg tossing. Set the bary's to breed and managed to get two 229 bary's with the blue color pretty quickly. Hatched up a couple of dimorph eggs and podded those and the bary's until I could focus on imprinting them.

Went back for the quetzal with my new tapejara and mutton/kibble but it was nowhere to be found. For such a slow bird, it sure took off in a hurry! Went back to base and found the theris were still growing... decided that was enough for today and signed out.

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Refilled the troughs. Raised the spino and one of the two baby manas for a bit. Imprinted the spino. Fed gachas, a lot. Hunted things, especially bunny dodos because those things shouldn't even be there, the event's over!

Killed an alpha carno, didn't wear a chibi, but at least it gave Frostbite a new level, he finally has 400% melee. Noticed that the hives started losing health, gave them all the remaining rare flowers (should go gather more at some point), bred rexes (eggs went into the fridge).

Killed off some dinos I absolutely don't need and aren't attached to (and by killed I mean "fed to the gachas" - cryopods are easy now that I have a replicator, so I can afford to destroy some).

Podded the enforcers - I barely use them, and yet I always feed them. It was fine in my pre-tek days, when that was all I needed dust for, but now it's just plain wasteful.

Repodded the spino and the mana, logged off.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

SP Scorched Earth

Spent a good part of the last few days focused on the yuty issue.  After many eggs I finally got a male with the right colors and stats to match the female.  I labeled them as my mating pair.  I really want to get to the manticore fight so I took the first baby and raised it with 100% imprint.  Named him Cpt Morgan.

Between imprints I added a new building to the compound that I call home.  Added a large bedroom of sorts that hangs out over the cliff edge and above the lake at the green obelisk.  I am also in the process of redesigning a section of the kibble farm.  

I also spent a little time between raising the yuty to search for a nice saddle.  Opened a bunch of red OSDs  and red desert look crates.  I never found a yuty saddle but I now have a complete set of scuba gear, a Mosa platform saddle, a Megalodon saddle, a paracer platform saddle, a 300+ armor giga saddle, and various high end ghillie and riot pieces... all of them ascendant level.  So much good stuff on scorched earth... too bad you have to go to another world to use it though.

Took Cpt Morgan out for some quick levels after he was all grown up.  Found a 150 Mantis in the desert with really nice colors.  Ran home and grabbed the ghillie, bug repellant, and worm horns.  I was able to tame him without trouble.  

Finally, I deemed myself ready for the manticore.  I felt my rexes are pretty OP so I left a few behind.  Ended up going with 16 rexes and 1 yuty.  I wore a good set of ghillie because it has better armor then the desert gear.  I also wore a gas mask.  The rexes all had MC saddles, but I was still sporting a primitive saddle on the yuty.  Many videos out there show people using assault riffles and missle launchers but I just took my cross bow and some flaming arrows... and I didn't even need them.  The gamma fight was done in less than ten minutes and the rexes hardly worked up a sweat.  I was honestly surprised it was so easy.  So I re-organized the team and went right back in for the beta.  And aside from it taking just a few extra minutes... It was very easy too.  

I had to call it quits for today, but I will go after the alpha tomorrow.

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos. Went looking for my wyvern again, and found him! He was sitting near a tiny lake, barely more than a puddle. Alive, healthy, almost not hungry, and set to passive, so no idea why he decided to leave my base in the first place. Returned him to the base. Sidebase mana will still happen, though. At some point.

(Official, Valguero) Fed dinos, decided to get back Dark Hopper (my full black procopto). Since Dark Hopper is long dead, getting him back means taming some procoptos with black on various regions, at least one of them with good-ish stats, and mating them together until I get a good stat male full black. First step was made in the form of taming a level 25 male with black back and stripes.

Also, gave bees more flowers. They're good on them, but it's always better to have more.