So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Scorched Earth, SP

Gathered some obsidian for an artifact pedestal, but have not made it yet.

With my first two wyvern eggs in the fridge I am itching to get back to the trench.  However, that will have to wait a few more days when I have more dedicated time.  So today I made plans for my trap... and I gathered materials and started constructing the pieces.   Ideally I want to get a few more eggs before focusing on milk.... 

The basic plan is to target several of the males (one at a time) and lure them into the trap.  Then kill them.  Once the herd is thinned a bit, I might be able to access the nests a little easier.  I will fill my pockets with level 150 eggs 🙃, then lure out the females for milk.  Easy peasy, right?

----

SE and Island, PVE

Refreshed bases.  Island base was out of gas so I made more and tossed it into the generator.  I found a piece of dodo poo and tossed it into the only crop plot that still has anything growing.  Not sure why, but I did.  Makes no difference.  The corn will die anyway.  I think it is just hard watching it go away after all the time we put into this game.

• Like 2

(Official, Valguero) Logged on, fed dinos, bred gigas and rexes, went to put eggs into the fridge, discovered the there's some sorta invisible wall now on the stairs to my greenhouse/kitchen's entrance, even though just yesterday it was fine., so had to take down a wall nearby and put new stairs there (old ones left for symmetry's sake, but near them is a sign noting that they're non-functional, so that I don't keep trying to use them out of habit). New entrance works fine.

Grape the lymantria is adult, alive, I took saddle off Halloween and put it on Grape.

Took ingots out of the forge and into the vault.

And that's all for today.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

Went alpha hunting with tuso (I know, interesting tame to take alpha hunting).

Killed 6 alpha sharks

1 alpha tuso (that was scary). Moment I saw it I inked my way out of there.

1 alpha mosa.

Brought a heal pig with me in a cryo. Whenever I need to heal my tuso I go to the shore, pop it out, chuck all that fish meat in it, and heal.

Found a 135 mosa, will try to tame it soon.

Did get stunlocked once by some a-hole eels who crept up on me, luckily I got out of there.

That's all for today

• Like 1

PVE Island and SE... refreshed bases.  Made a meat run on SE.

Single Player SE... Tamed a pair of scorpions.  Cooked more metal.  Made another metal behemoth gate to add to the wyvern trap. 

Went to make some kibble but realized I totally spaced out on making jerky so I made a cooling box and tossed in a bunch of cooked meats and oil.  I will make kibble later, which is okay since that is not my favorite thing to do anyway.

Made a few primitive saddles to help move around the egg making team.

Found an ascendant chainsaw and an ascendant rock elemental saddle (BP) in a OSD.  Tried out the saw and it works like a champ.  Saddle BP is expensive and I will hold off on making that for awhile.  

Finally chose a spot for the artifact pedestal.  Placed Artifact of the Gatekeeper inside and admired the glow.

• Like 2

Single Player Scorched Earth

I finally made my wyvern trap.  I used the basic design of 5 behemoth gates.  The first four gates the wyvern passes through are stone and the last one is metal.  Under the metal gate I used three towers of metal pillars instead of a behemoth door. 

I watched many videos to look for designs I like, and many people put a door on the final gate, however, I don't like trying to escape out the side of the trap when in panic mode.  The pillars are spaced apart just enough that I can fly my argent straight through them but the wyvern gets stuck.  Also, since the wyvern can maintain a visual on me it seems to hold position at the end of the trap a little longer.  That gives me the extra couple seconds I need to land and use the remote keypad to shut the door at the trap's entrance.  I made the end of the trap metal because that is where the wyvern is most aggressive as I shoot bullets / darts into it... and I don't want to have to deal with repairing that gate all the time.

I built a 2x2 adobe hut within shooting distance... with a ladder to the roof.  I put up a couple adobe door frames on top facing the trap to give myself a little blast protection from any poison/ fire/ lightning bursts coming my way.  I also like the elevated position for protection from any snakes or scorpions that might be sneaking up behind me.

So far it has been working great.  Last night I pulled a couple males out of the trench and kill them in the trap.  That created a little more room for me to sneak in and grab a couple eggs.  (Another lightning- 50, and a fire- 25).  Nothing too great yet, but the plan is working.

I found that low level argents, although they have worked so far for pulling wyverns to the trap, might not be as successful for longer chases.  So far I have only targeted wyverns nearest to my trap and my low level argent is very bloody at the end.  I don't think they will work once I start looking further down the trench.  They just don't have the health for longer periods of damage. So I found and tamed a 120 male last night... tamed it... and bred it with one of the high females I found the other day.  I was happy to find one with the same black on black coloring and can make an all black argent army of thieves.  Health will be higher and imprinting will give better damage reduction than just taming a bunch of low level argents.  It is a learning process for sure. I named the first baby, Bandit.  

• Like 2

(Official, Valguero) Fed dinos. unpodded dimorphs, yuties (2 older ones), mantis, argents and a featherlight for some raising. Made some gunpowder. Found that previously non-working half of the stairs to my kitchen/greenhouse now works. But the last ramp of the tek rex breeding stand doesn't. Weird. Some kinda wandering invisible wall, which is even stranger than a non-wandering invisible wall. Once the last dimorph is imprinted, I'll repod everything except for the dimorphodons, and that'll be all for today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a really good last 24 hours on Single Player, Scorched Earth.

Took Bandit (Argent) to the wyvern trench and lured out a low level poison female.  Trapped it, knocked it out, but no milk in inventory.  Very weird.  Used Bandit to kill it hoping it would harvest milk.  Nope.  So I went back to trench, lured another low level female (lightning) to trap, knocked it out.  Got milk. Woohoo!  Killed wyvern. 👍

The plan was going to be... get milk and fly home to hatch one of the level 50 lightning eggs I had.  However, on my last pass through the trench to lure out the female, I saw a lightning egg sitting in a nest.  So I put milk in the cooling box with some salt and went back to the trench.  Glad I did because the egg turned out to be a 120 lightning.  With no wyverns in sight I took the egg and ran.  And I am happy to report that there was no wyvern pursuit.  So I went back and collected the milk, then flew home. 👍

I have never hatched a wyvern egg before so I started with a level 50 lightning just in case I screwed it up.  Everything went well, so I hatched the 120 lightning.  👍

While waiting between imprints I grabbed my ghillie, bug repellant, and worm horns and flew out to the desert.  Found a 135 mantis and she is now mine. 👍

Finished imprinting / raising wyverns.  

Feeling confident I went looking for my first rock elemental.  I didn't want to start on a level 150 (even though I know where one is), so I looked more for the perfect location instead of perfect level.  After flying around for awhile I found a level 50 in a good spot.  I set up the gear like I have seen in many videos and after some struggles with cannon placement and keeping the rock elemental agro'd... I finally knocked it out.  I fed it some kibble and sulfur and now I have a big fella too. 👍

• Like 2

Xbox SP, The Island

I haven’t posted in a while but it’s not from a lack of gameplay. I literally just have nothing to share 😅. A few logins ago I decided to re-run the lava cave with a disposable saber. Lost the saber and everything in my inventory when I fell into lava (maybe one day I’ll learn 🤣).

So for the past few logins, I’ve been working to replace the things I lost but my main thing has been finding another otter. I didn’t have the forethought to get a breeding pair the first time around, so now I’m stuck flying back and forth over the river near the redwoods to find another. Only low levels at first, and now I can’t find any. I’ve put around 17 real hours into finding a good one but haven’t yet. Wondering if I’m wasting my time now but... I need it for the snow cave. If I settle for a low level, that guarantees that I wasted all that time. Ugh. 

Disenchanted and discouraged, I keep on the search anyway. 

2 hours ago, Cordiste said:

Xbox SP, The Island

So for the past few logins, I’ve been working to replace the things I lost but my main thing has been finding another otter.   Only low levels at first, and now I can’t find any. I’ve put around 17 real hours into finding a good one but haven’t yet. Wondering if I’m wasting my time now but... I need it for the snow cave. If I settle for a low level, that guarantees that I wasted all that time. Ugh. 

Disenchanted and discouraged, I keep on the search anyway. 

@Cordiste, Hey bud.  I totally feel your pain.  Sometimes we get so caught up in placing value in high level dinos that we forget the simplicity for which they need to be used.  I think this is one of those cases.  Don't worry about finding a 150 otter. (Ark gods seem to have a knack for taking away the one thing we are after anyway).  Besides, I never use otters for anything other than regulating temperature and carrying the extra artifact, and in my experience the level 5 otter is just as good at doing that.  So... grab the first otter you find and move on to bigger - better things.

I am waiting for you to finish the island so we can compare SE notes.  So hurry up. 🤣

• Haha 2

(Official, Valguero) Whistled all dimorphodons, old and new, to follow Scream (yuty) and took them all to the Beaver Lake. There we killed a bunch of things. Dimorphs shredded everything, me and Scream barely had to help. So, great. Poweful. Probably will end up podding them and never using them again, though: "Where the hell are my other three idiots?!" is not a problem I'm used to dealing with, and I wouldn't exactly call it an exciting new experience. Better just breed a yuty that can handle things well enough on its own.

Fed dinos, logged off.

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Took all my grenades. Took my max damage composite bow. Made 141 flaming arrow. And two good gasmasks. And with all of that I hopped onto Phobos and went to the Lair. There was, fortunately, only one Broodmother there, so I dismounted, put on a gasmask just in case, and started to throw grenades and shoot arrows, occasionally looking through spyglass for signs of damage. By the time I had 9 arrows and no grenades left, there actually were signs of damage! A few tiniest scratches. So I shot remaining arrows, remounted and went in.

After a whole lot of biting the Broodmother was dead. Phobos didn't even lose too much health - less than one third of it, pretty good result for fighting something so strong.

Unfortunately, the game is a bit crashy today, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my brand new Spider flag to the base, but the fact is I killed the big arachnid and I did pretty well.

Got to the base, installed the flag on my house's roof, fed dinos. Now just need to feed dinos on (Official, Extinction) and refresh base on (Official, Crystal Isles), and that'll be all for today.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

SP, Scorched Earth...

After a very busy weekend I am experiencing a bit of an emotional lull and not fully sure what to do next.  I know I need to do the other caves but will probably get to those this weekend.  Today I just made a couple runs for metal, stone, sand, etc...

Made a bunch of CP, narcotics, and clay just to pass the time and I'm sure I will need it at some point.

Flew around for awhile on the new wyvern and added levels.  That was about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took yesterday completely off. (The benefit of Single Player).

Today I took out the bigger of the two wyverns.  I think it is about level 185 now.  Took it to the wyvern trench to see how it would do against it's own kind... and it did great.  I would fly into the trench and lure out one or two at a time, dispose of them, grab the talons, and go back for more.  I would also grab eggs when I could.  Although, I did die at one point trying to grab an egg.  I think it was a planned sneak attack because I swear there were no other wyverns around when I flew at the nest.  When I hopped off to grab the egg... whammo!  Fire in the face.  My wyvern took off before I could jump back on and I just stood there at the nest and watched the two wyverns fighting far below.  The egg still hovering above the nest.  The fight took them further down the trench and out of sight.  And at that point I was stranded because my wyvern was not responding to whistles and I forgot to put it on follow.  

The only thing left to do was grab the egg and hope I could get another wyvern to aggro on me.  Luckily it worked.  I was dead within seconds.  I respawned back at my main base where I had the other wyvern and flew quickly to my body which held 7 eggs (all under level 90) and about 20 talons.  When I re-entered the trench I saw my first wyvern fighting three others.  One was an alpha.  I flew into the mix and led the alpha away from the fight and got him to aggro on some argies in the mountains.  Then I helped kill the other two and finally retrieved my body and loot.

Went home.  Those eggs will most likely become kibble.

Edited by Penguin73
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, Penguin73 said:

@Cordiste, Hey bud.  I totally feel your pain.  Sometimes we get so caught up in placing value in high level dinos that we forget the simplicity for which they need to be used.  I think this is one of those cases.  Don't worry about finding a 150 otter. (Ark gods seem to have a knack for taking away the one thing we are after anyway).  Besides, I never use otters for anything other than regulating temperature and carrying the extra artifact, and in my experience the level 5 otter is just as good at doing that.  So... grab the first otter you find and move on to bigger - better things.

I am waiting for you to finish the island so we can compare SE notes.  So hurry up. 🤣

You know what, you’re absolutely right man. I obviously play alone so maybe I just really needed a bit of perspective. 

perhaps I’ll just get myself a low-level pair so I don’t ever have to go otter fishing ever again. 

thanks for the reality check, @Penguin73. My next post should be about the snow cave 😉 believe me, I’m already sick of the island and ready to move on the SE as fast as possible!

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Fed dinos. Bred rexes and gigas. Put eggs, old and new, in the hatchery (and that's a lot of eggs: 20 tek rex, 4 giga), unpodded juvi yuties and argents.

Wanted to make some narcoric, so unpodded the bronto, but didn't feel like carrying all the berries to the workshop and then possibly doing another run and carrying more berries, so decided to build a few foundations with a chem bench on her saddle. Things got out of hand. Accidentally built a whole house, with windows, railings, and lamps.

Whistled dimorphs (bronto is mostly leveled in speed, she's not good at fighting off whatever might attack), put all the spoiled meat into bronto's chem bench and went to get the berries.

Harvesting and crafting went fine. Made plenty of narcotic. Some dimorphs got lost, though. Tried to look for them, but no such luck. Whatever, the remaining ones have both males and females, so if I'll need more I can make more.

Now just waiting for rexes to hatch.

Rexes hatched. Rexes killed because no new health or melee mutations AGAIN. Picked up giga eggs, podded some of argents and yuties (when was podding an argy, game crashed and right afterwards computer reloaded due to error. While this only ever happened for a second time, I'm still starting to worry a bit). Podded rest of the argies, put them in the fridge, logged off.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

2 hours ago, Voidgoof said:

All this talk of meat runs and feeding Dino’s....why don’t more people use cryopods?

Just curious....came from Primitive legacy....

I do use cryopods! Just not for everything: some things (rexes, yuties, female giga) have to stay out because I'm breeding them, and also because eggs. And some have to stay out because they're in use. And some - because their looks are the point (only, or main) of their existence, so they must be visible. And three more also must be visible, not because looks, but because they're my oldest dinos and I'm proud of keeping them alive for so long. And then there's my basilos, they're rarely in use, but keeping them in a pen is more convenient that flying to the shore with a podded basilo, and then either taking the flyer with me podded (but something might happen to me in the Abyss) or leaving it on the shore and hoping the spot I picked is safe enough (and it may not be). And then there's unicorns: looks are the main point, sometimes in use, and last time I checked unpodding a unicorn destroyed the pod, so feeding them is literally less expensive than podding them and letting them out only when needed.

And on the side bases I don't use pods because I'm keeping things low-tech there, as side bases are just for getting some resources/tames, and I'd rather not put too much effort and resources into them (also, it gives me extra reason to refresh them regularly, ensuring their continued existence).