So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Xbox island official PVE

Halloween event. A few of the more established members on the server mobilized to take down the fabled Dodorex. Mostly riding Wyverns we took a portion of the island each to search. The period of time Dodorex spawn is only about 15 minutes long, so finding and killing the beast would be difficult. The general consensus was Gigas was the weapon of choice, but like the boss fights I made sure I only equipped kit I could afford to lose. So no chibi, my otter companion was left behind and all my tek armour. 

The search started I was on 'Remember red ember' my third best Wyvern, the most expendable lol. I had my Giga cryopoded 'Red Fury' definitely not expendable but I have 2 Female and one Male Gigas. I am lucky to have a large amount of combat armour stored mainly due to my Gacha addiction.

But I digress, back to the search. I took the area from the west coast to the volcano as my grid to start to try and locate the Dodorex, then the worst possible thing happened, it started to rain. Flying blind as I didn't have the luxury of my tek helmet night vision function I was unable to see anything nevermind be any good at spotting ground based event dinos.

Luckily a member of a neighbouring tribe shouted out in game chat that the beast was on the east coast, it was attacking a wild Giga. Although I have a GPS and the exact coordinates of our target, I stumble around the Red Woods in utter confusion to which direction to go. Eventually I get the correct bearing and make haste to the target area. 

I arrived fashionably late, Dodorex long gone and the only thing left was the victor flaunting the spoils of war. In this case a Zomdodo and a group of three skeleton chilbi's.

Yet again time was my enemy, I retreated back to base. All the richer for the overall group experience, that I rarely participate in as being in a solo outfit. 

Well done Wildcard for this event, the 2-3 hours of preparing to attack the Dodorex and the engagement of 10 or so loosely affiliated survivors in the endeavour really was some of the best time I have had gaming. Not just on Ark but in gaming generally in years. 

• Like 3

Primitive Plus PVE (official). Still broken... no loot drops or wild dinos since last update.... so I gathered berries for the troughs and signed out.

Island PVE (official). Took the raft I built and finally left the noob beach.  Explored all beaches not covered in ice since I don't have fur for the cold weather yet.  Other than small gaps between bases there was not any room to build.  I would have left the server at this point but I liked what I was reading in the server chat box.  Many helpful and friendly people made me feel comfortable so I decided to stay and take on the challenge of heading inland on an older and well established island.

I acquired a pelagornis as my first tame (lol) and after many, many rest breaks I found a nice spot on the river west of the volcano and above the waterfall.  The area has plenty of things with teeth so I had to be careful, but I managed to grind out enough materials over the last couple days to get myself some real estate.  Main house is not done yet but I was able to tame a deodicurus that wandered into my camp and what a tremendous help that has been.  I also built an argy trap (elevated above house) and used a newly tamed (low level) ptera to lure a wild 125 argy into the trap.  Tamed it up with cooked mutton and prime that I have been collecting from Halloween drops. It is not a breeder but it will be a great work horse with pretty good stamina and weight. I just need someone to make me a saddle first, lol, since I am still a few levels short.

Also, I wanted to give a shout-out to a player named Cow on my server.  He is being super nice and raising up a couple high level rexes to give me.  Much appreciated.

• Like 3

(Official, Valguero) Allo's raised, named Coals, and bred. Egg hatched, Actual Black-Black-Black on first try, female. Named Midnight, after my first full black allo (who was also the only full black allo I ever found in the wild). Raised to juvenile.

Tamed a new diplo, green back, yellowish spines, rest is Actual Black. Named Toxic. Wanted to make a saddle for him, but turned out the BP I have is impossible, at least until my argent reaches her maximum possible weight - the damn BP requires over 3000 wood, more than 10000 hide, metal and fiber also in hideously large amounts - she can't hold that much weight! And, obviously, it doesn't fit into the smithy.

Ran out of chitin and keratin. Completely. Got a lot of cementing paste now, though!

Made some trophy wall mounts to put my alpha rex skulls on. 5 skulls hanged, still more left. Probably should finish building the workshop at some point, if only to have place to hang the rest of the skulls.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

Well, not much happened for a few days, I didn't have a lot of Ark time until today.

Was working on my artifact collecting when disaster struck. Having retrieved the third and final artifact deep in Nosti, we made our way to the exit. But disaster struck, and this was totally my fault. I didn't feel like fighting my way out so we just ran, I misjudged the jump and my thyla, jerboa and I tumbled into the endless chasm, just feet below the safe line.

So, I have to say that was really discouraging.

I regrouped and decided to go hunt for a new thyla to add to my mix. One of the reasons I'm reluctant to fight, the main reason really, is that I do not have a good melee stat on my thylas. It's less than mediocre in fact.

So I took my lightning wyvern out hunting and actually found a high level one very quickly. Tamed it and got melee in the low range, but higher than it was. So I spent most of the afternoon breeding thylas and getting my bloodline sorted.

Got the new thyla up and took it out, successfully running Nosti for that final artifact. We then backtracked somewhat and spent some time farming the Old Tunnels in search of an elusive rex saddle blueprint. No joy, but I got some ascendant desert cloth blueprint which is nice.

Honestly I am starting to run low on tasks working towards the manticore goal. I have my army with plenty of levels earned in cryo. I have the artifacts. I have the yuty. All I need is the saddle blueprint, the saddles, and the talons.

Speaking of, I've been starting to farm them more seriously. Poison are by far the most difficult to get due to their breath, I was very disappointed to learn the poison wyvern does not protect you from their breath. I probably knew that previously and forgot.

But at the very end of the evening all of my patience has been rewarded. I finally, finally found a high level fire wyvern egg, a 180. And there's something else too...

20201101202057_1.thumb.jpg.d486000daff0a0889d722db4a830f574.jpg

Event colors. None of the stats are really standout, but he's very well rounded. I can't wait to take him out for his first flight.

• Like 5

(Official, Valguero) Expanded the base. About +6 foundations wide strip of land was added to my territory. It was the final expansion, because another tribe's pillars are preventing me from going even bigger. 

Took down the breeding stand and built a new one, better. It even (sometimes) allows eggs to fall onto the ground. Placed rexes on it. Podded deinons because I'm kinda tired of them already.

Tek rexes grown, bred, male with the good melee and the my new best (above 10000) health hatched, so I raised him for a bit until he could hold a whole stack of meat, then killed his parents as I won't need them anymore.

Midnight growing well, got her first imprint.

Bred gachas, waiting for the baby now. Also, fed Schedraya (the female gacha, resource: metal) with a ton of arrows and thatch doors, so I'll have a lot of metal and armor/weapons once I open up all those crystals!

Gachas born. Triplets. No dust, one crystal. Kept crystal - not necessarily to actually keep it, but as an experiment. I noticed that it grows quickly, so I dropped a ton of things for it: raw meat, spoiled meat, berries, fiber, stone, flint, thatch, wood, hide, silk - waited for it to pick it all up, and then left. If it's alive in the morning - it gets to live past it, too. If not - no big loss.

Gacha died. However, judging by the tribe log, it survived for a considerable amount of time, so I guess that means throwing 200 weight worth of various stuff at a baby gacha and logging off to sleep won't work, but doing the same while staying online and occasionally adding more stuff bu not having to watch it literally every second of its existence would work just fine. And that knowledge is important for when I'll finally get a gacha I would actually want to raise.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

(Official, Valguero) Made a rex saddle (80 armor), made an argy saddle. Unpodded one of my older argents, saddled her up, podded again. Took bone costume off Bitey, saddled him up, podded him. Uploaded them.

(Official, Scorched Earth) Created a new survivor because I wasn't able to get the one I left on Aberration to a drop. With great difficulty and at least five deaths got to the red Obelisk. Took pods, unpodded Bitey, went to the desert, found a worm, killed it (not all that hard!), built a stone trap, unpodded argent, used her to lure a level 15 female mantis into the trap, podded the argent again, thus de-aggroing the mantis, tamed the mantis, named her Tissa, podded her.

Found another deathworm, killed it, made a thatch trap, lured in a level 50 male mantis, de-aggroed, fed, and... It wasn't enough. Went to look for another worm, took too long, when I came back mantis' taming progress was gone, except I noticed it AFTER feeding him. Went into the desert, found a worm, killed worm, found another worm, killed worm, returned to the mantis, fed him, waited, fed him again and THEN he was tamed. Named him Kess, podded him (had to leave argent on follow because only two pods. Went to the green Obelisk, uploaded pods with mantises, rode a bit away from the obelisk, unclaimed Bitey and the argent (don't need them anymore - if I needed them at my main base I wouldn't have sent them to SE in the first place, and now that I have mantises I no longer need a SE survivor, so keeping it just to take care of dinos... Yeah. That would just end in auto-decayed dinos), logged off.

(Official, Valguero again) Retrieved mantises, unpodded them, made a saddle (just one for now), tried Kess' resource-harvesting abilities within the base (after the last expansion I got a few tree logs on my territory in addition to bushes and rocks) - pretty good! Might replace the therizino one day. Bred gachas, manas and gasbags, waiting for all of them now. Unpodded Midnight and the future new tek rex breeder (named Deathbite).

Gasbags done, female baby, podded. Manas done, female baby, killed. Gachas done, male baby, not dust, killed. Deathbite is juvenile now, stuffed troughs full of meat, put a stack of basic kibble in his inventory and logged off. 

(Official, Extinction) Fed dinos.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Checked on wyverns.

And that's enough ARK for today.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

(Official, Valguero) Midnight is adult now, fully imprinted, pretty strong, and looks exactly as awesome as a full-black allo can, which is very.

Made a ton of cementing paste, and then a ton of polymer.

Went to The Abyss, only found 3 actual underwater crates with appropriate loot, and 3 DAMN HALLOWEEN CANDYCORNS in the place of underwater crates, how the hell is it okay to replace awesome loot crates with "vegetable and maybe candy if you're lucky" lame event crates? Seriously.

Didn't breed anything today.

Decided to get Genesis. I was always against it and watched some videos and never wanted to get it as I was thinking " That's not Ark ". The past couple of weeks I was in the mood for something new and I though well maybe Genesis is the answer. Finally got it yesterday and I must say I enjoyed my first day on it. Just did exploring 1 biome ( Arctic ) with plenty of glitch fixing and a couple of missions. And I must admit that the "something different" that the missions brings into the game is actually a very good thing and I am enjoying that part. Just the "something new" I needed.
For the first time in months I am actually looking forward to get home and play Ark again.  

• Like 3

(Official, Valguero) Made a mindwipe tonic. Took it. Rearranged the stats a bit (I don't remember why did I once put a few point into stamina when I don't really use it, but I fixed it now). Now I have: 200 health, 300 weight, 150% melee, 30 fortitude, and 600% crafting skill. Rest of stats is left basic. Mostly learned necessary engrams this time: no craft stations, since I have everything, no saddles, ammo but no guns, vault. Well, and also fishing pole because I like fishing sometimes, and mirror+shag rug because I want to make the house look nicer (even though I'll probably never get to actually making them because I'll get distracted by something).

Made some gunpowder. Set Generous to produce flint, once I get enough of that, I'll set him to stone, then make a ton of sparkpowder, and then make even more gunpowder. It's not because I'm planning anything - it's just that my gunpowder box is almost empty and I don't like it. Boxes should be full. Or at least 1/4 full.

Fed the dinos and logged off for now.

Logged back on. Deathbite is fully grown, so I put a bone costume on him and moved him to his place near the breeding stand (well, sort of IN it - it's roughly horseshoe-shaped). Took Midnight and went for a bit of hunting, and then I got kicked to the main menu, and now servers don't show up (well, some do, but not the one I play on OR either of the two where I have side-characters on), so all I can do is wait and hope that everything will be fine.

Okay, it's back now. Hope everything's as I (unwillingly) left it.

Everything's fine. Great! Time to spend an hour or so standing behind a gacha, gathering crystals. Also! Some time ago I tamed an event-colored carbonemys. High level, pleasant shade of green, and female, too! The downside? Her textures refused to load. Ever. She was a blurry mess. But today they loaded and it looks like they'll stay that way!

Bred gachas and rexes. Wanted to make some chibies while eggs are incubating, but realized that I ran out of bones.

Tried to go on a skeleton hunt with Deimos, but it was too laggy to get anything done before rexes hatch, so I had to return.

Gachas: 1 baby, female, metal and silica pearls. Killed it. Rexes: 1 new mutation, not on health or melee. Killed it.

Bred allos in hopes of getting a male with colors fully identical to Midnight's (Actual Black-Black-Black). Unfortunately, what hatched was neither male, nor full black. Killed it.

Tamed a new moschops. Black and red, male. Wild level only 15, but whatever. Named him Edgy because seriously, what else I could name a black and red? Podded Reasonable and set Edgy to wander on the leash instead.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

SP, The island

Made huge advances in my quest to finish the first story ark. Still a long way to go, but it’s been a while since I made this much progress. My husband went away for 9 days for work, I don’t think I’ve ever played so much in such a short time. It was truly a nice time. I’ll summarize my activities in a list, because if I wrote it in story mode it would be way too long. 

- Tamed a pair of beautiful Theris (max level for my difficulty setting). These will be my boss army breeders. I have yet to really get balls-deep into breeding, but there’s enough YouTube videos out there to help me stack mutations. I tamed both of them directly in front of one of my remote outposts near the southern islets, couldn’t have been a more comfortable tame process!

- Completed 3 more caves, now I have 5 artifacts in total. I had some drama in the upper south cave, when going to grapple across the water to the artifact hallway, I accidentally shot way off and ended up in a cluster of Onyc. I lost my otter and my stuff. Instead of being discouraged, I went and tamed another otter, made more gear, found my bary in the cave, killed the bats and got my stuff (and the artifact, of course!). 

- Got a female Bary to breed with my current caving Bary, in case I lose another one. This way I’ll have spares! Tamed her in the exact same spot as the theris!

- I had issues in the Northwest cave (skylord). The artifact wasn’t there (I was expecting that) but then I got attacked by some Onyc and ran towards the entrance until I died. No worries, I was just a few steps from my bed and storage boxes. But - when I went to go get my corpse, it had fallen thru the world and I couldn’t get to it. I’ve been playing as vanilla as humanly possible, but this was a game error and normally I’d be able to get my stuff back. So, I spawn it all in using gfi codes 😕 not too happy about that but I feel I was justified. 

- Expanded my very primitive kitchen and workshop, opened it right up and put greenhouse walls on one side so I could overlook my pond when I’m crafting. my base is at hidden lake, house is built into the side of the cliffs so it’s really scenic. Low-level me picked well, I would use this spot again. 

I think I’m gonna have to do some research before I attempt any new adventures. Or, maybe I’ll get into my theri breeding. I’m just dreading the countless hours of waiting, hatching and imprinting. (Any tips on how to best spend my time inbetween these activities? Do you guys just craft stuff or watch tv while you wait?)

thats all for now, looking forward to any suggestions if you have any!

Edited by Cordiste
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cordiste said:

Usually when I am hatching and raising I tend to potter around the base doing farming and crafting. I normally do a meat and berry run to top up the trough(s) and gather enough resources to fill my containers so that when I put the egg out to hatch I can sit back and craft narcotics, sparkpowder, gunpowder, and then ammunition (regular and tranq). After that I look at redesigning the base, adding extra rooms and storage, upgrading the crafting area, adding more crop plots and taps to the farm and planting more veg and berries and crafting kibble if I have the ingredients. After running around hunting, taming and trying not to die it's nice to have some downtime at the base.

• Thanks 1

(Official, Extinction) Briefly went through several servers because the one I have a side base on wasn't showing up in favorites and I didn't remember its name (I found it, and wrote its number down in case it happens again)

Did the Forest Cave. No Ext-specific BPs. Rex low on health because due to a combination of mild lags and my internet connection disconnecting for a few seconds (not enough for the game to kick me out), I failed to respond to some attacks, as well as bite in time to knock allos and carnos back before they put "Bleeding" on my rex. So, yeah. Not the greatest cave run I ever had.

(Official, Valguero) Decided to raise that one mutated velona I have to be my mount, since I'm not going to use her as a breeder and I'm really eager to see what a full-imprinted velona could do. Named her Carrot.

Bred gachas, bred rexes. Now just rising Carrot and waiting for rexes to hatch and for a new gacha to be born.

Maybe gonna finally unpod and raise (with imprint) that baby ankylo I had podded since forever.

Ankylo and velona growing fine. Tamed a lymantria. Purple wings, orange body, gray legs - pretty nice! And wild level 145. Wild stats, tho... 32 points in melee. On a lymantria. Great stat, but for a wrong tame.

Rexes hatched. As usual, no new mutations.

Gacha born, oil, fungal wood, and crystal. Killed it - I can do crystal runs myself if I need any more, and its parents already can give me oil and fungal wood.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Facepalm 1

(Official, Valguero) Logged on, checked on insects, bred them, found out that their eggs are immovable, so I had to very quickly make 8 ACs, 2 thatch foundations (the part of the base where I bred moths is too uneven to put ACs on the ground), some wires and a pair of outlets. Bred gachas, upon finding how quick gestation is right now, unpodded Deimos and Elisabeth, as well as Skysoul (the only female crystal wyvern I have at the moment), bred gigas, bred Skysoul to Mojito, bred rexes. Now just waiting for gachas and for all the eggs (moth already hatched).

Gacha was born. Black pearls. Tried to raise it, but it ate too slow and starved with a ton of food in the inventory.

Did two metal runs. Forge almost full now. Planning to do a crystal run, but later. Since my ankylo and velona have pre-event imprint timers, bred velonas again, and got a nice blue-bellied stam-mutated male out of it. He'll be the one I'll raise because I'm NOT waiting until normal rates to see how good a fully imprinted velona can be. Trpical wyvern hatched, growing fine, dad's colors, named him Lettuce. Gonna go to CI and tame an ember and a blood female once my gacha is done eating arrows and dropping crystals.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Tamed a wild level 20 Blood female because there were no other females. Tamed a wild level 50 (or 55, don't remember) Ember female (great colors!), and on my way back found a 86 good color Blood female, tamed her as well. Just gotta upload them and then get them back on Valguero now.

(Official, Valguero) Wyverns: retrieved. Mating cooldown: finished. Wyverns: mated. Eggs obtained: 2, because second Blood one disappeared. Or never appeared. Whatever, point is - I bred two blood wyverns, got one blood egg. Well, I can breed them again later, with current rates it's no problem.

Giga egg hatched, male, right colors, wrong melee. Killed it. Mantis and velona fully grown, mantis is... Well, okay for getting an idea of what it is, but weak. Very weak. Velona, on the other hand... Full imprint made a somewhat dangerous creature into an absolute monster. Bred rexes again, no new mutations. Did a crystal run, had to abandon half the crystals because I kinda overdid it and even my nearly 4000 weight argent couldn't carry it all.

Ember popped out with level 150 and almost best color combo he could inherit from his parents (completely best would be if body was dark brown instead of bright red). I named him Apocalypse (just don't have any better ideas, to be honest). Blood egg - 105, male too, wrong wing color, so I killed him.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

On 11/6/2020 at 5:53 AM, Cordiste said:

I was in a very similar situation a few months ago.  I spent my time between imprints and breeding to gather materials needed to make saddles.  Do you have a good Therizino saddle yet? if not, do cave runs during this time till you do. Good luck.

• Like 1

Spent the last couple days finishing up the house.  I still need to furnish and add finishing touches but the basic design is finally done.  It is big enough to have room for all the high tech stuff once it comes but not big enough to say it is excessive. I will say, though, it is a great feeling knowing that all my walls and ceiling come together and the few dinos I have are safely inside.  I lost my only anky yesterday to a random argy attack before it was done. Not happy 'bout that, but you can't build in argy country without accepting that risk.

Took advantage of the increased rates this morning and grabbed a bunch of stone, wood, and thatch for behemoth gates. I will make a holding pen about 10 gates in circumference and positioned behind the house.  It will serve more as a staging area when I need it but I plan to cryopod most of my dinos when I get to that point.  I hate seeing the massive fields of dinos that just seem to sit at so many bases around the map.  The lag I experience when I fly over them is ridiculous and unnecessary in my opinion. I get that many people like to breed and that makes the game fun for them but is it asking too much to put some of them away? Do you really need 30-50 rexes or spinos or wyverns or whatever just standing there like trophies, never moving?  Sorry for the gripe. My server is very lagggy and I don't think massive bases and dino collections is helping. I am just venting a little. Other than that I am having fun.

(Official, Valguero) Did a lot of breeding (well, my kind of "a lot", so, twenty eggs, maybe? As in through the whole event. Plus attempts at gachas and one at managarmr). Gigas, as usual, gave me no 125% melee black-dark brown-light brown male baby. Only useless (and mostly 70% melee) wrong color and/or wrong gender babies. Blood wyverns ended up giving me exactly what I wanted: a perfectly colored male, with dad's stats. I named him Dracula, and he's already grown.

Apocalypse the Ember wyvern isn't going to replace Wildfire because he's real pretty, but colors so bright it starts to hurt looking at him after a while, so any long flights and fights using him are out of question. He'll just be sitting on a cliff, being pretty. Kinda like my event colored diplos, except more useful. But two imprinted actual replacements (originals aren't killed off - I'm too attached to them. Just podded) and a cliff ornament is better than no good looking fully imprinted wyverns, so I think wyvern breeding went quite well.

Got tired of having to transport ingots from the forge to the vault with several throw-run-whip-throws, so built a new forge, facing the vault. And then I decided to finish the workshop and it turned out new forge was seriously off-center, so I took that down too, and made a new one. And then I finished building the workshop. By the way, Hell is made of triangle roof pieces. You can't convince me otherwise. If they're not a hellish building part, why would they be so annoying to correctly place?

Finally hatched the perfect owl: female, near white, white and light gray. Named her Winter. She'a already adult, and imprinted.

Tried to hunt some alpha dinos, but found no alpha dinos.

Aside from a failed alpha hunt the day went pretty great!

Oh. And I forgot to mention it, but also got a stego. Because new stegos look great. And their animation! They jiggle! I named him Spike, and I probably won't use him much, but maybe I'll get a female at some point and try to breed some actually useful stegos.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

After a busy non-Ark week I settled in for another long weekend of play.

The number of things to do on this map is rapidly dwindling. I collected all of the artifacts I need to challenge the manticore. I collected all of the wyvern talons, 32 of each type. I even have enough blueprints for decent desert armor.

But the one thing I still didn't have...the elusive rex saddle bp.

Eventually I got fed up and traveled back to The Island and retrieved my bp from there. It took me a month to get that bp, I simply don't feel like spending another month fruitlessly seeking something I already have. So yes, technically a little cheaty but it's not like I brought over any built saddles or the few rexes that managed to survive the Overseer. So that's my self-justification, because it just isn't worth it to me. I found two phoenixes and still no saddle. Yes, I found a second one. I haven't tamed it yet but I know where it is.

But anyway, once I got the bp I shifted into production mode. I've now built 10 of the 19 required saddles, mostly because I've been saving all of the hide, fiber and doing metal runs in advance.

Honestly, if all goes well I should be able to take on the manticore as early as this weekend.

Basically, I'm trying to rush a bit with G2 coming up very quickly. Ideally I'd like to at least be on Extinction by then, which means grinding hard on Aberration. I'm much more familiar with the map, but also aware of the difficulties that come with it so I need to get a move on if I'm going to get through it.

Once I get onto Extinction I'll let myself transfer whatever I think I need from previous maps. In all honestly it won't be much anyway, mostly blueprints and gear I think, and my one giga of course. I also won't transfer anything until I have a transmitter up. I've seen enough lps of it to know almost no other creatures will be worthwhile so I don't care about loosening up my self imposed restrictions at that point.

So yeah, this week it's just building saddles and getting the rexes ready to go.

Well after that weekend I have to say I well enjoyed the 24h stream stayed online tru the whole event raising and farming it did get tight at times but with enough caffeine I made it tru. Big congrats to all that made it a success all being well next year I'll maybe start streaming myself  hope all are keeping safe in these dark times peace out THE LAST FURIAN 

14 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

I was in a very similar situation a few months ago.  I spent my time between imprints and breeding to gather materials needed to make saddles.  Do you have a good Therizino saddle yet? if not, do cave runs during this time till you do. Good luck.

I do not have a good BP. Which cave would you farm for drops?