So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

7 minutes ago, Kodking194 said:

i've heard that the mining tool from gen is good at collecting element dust, but i have not seen heard or tried it myself. from what a friend claims. its the best way to gather element dust from the tables, chairs and what not on extinction.

I don't have Genesis or plans to get it, so mining drill isn't an option. Plus, other than making enforcers I don't really have a need for dust - another thing I don't have and don't plan on getting is "defeated a boss" on my list of achievements, so no tek stuff. Mostly I just like to have it, and for that even just what I get from hunting tek dinos is enough (doesn't stop me from trying to get a dust baby from my gacha pair, though).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

On 10/22/2020 at 7:18 AM, namewasstolenstresslevel said:

There is a huge snake around my base right now and cant go out...

You can actually practice to fight snakes with spears or a pike (that is fight and win). Have some stimulant on you in case something goes wrong. There's also videos on how to do this, because snakes are a great source for hide early game.
Have fun ;)

Eleusius.

I started a new character and took a walk on Rag for the first time the other day.  That place is very cool and the NE corner reminds me of Montana. I saw a ton of pillars over the span of about 2 hours and was unable to find anywhere to hang my newbie hat within reasonable walking distance so I transferred to another server.  Same story. Transferred again. Same story.  ugggh! Frustrating, yes. Died many many times...yes.  But I am determined to find a spot somewhere. I will return with determination soon. 

Back on Island (primitive plus) we bred Argy this weekend.  I incubated 2 eggs and gave one to my tribe-mate to hatch. He got twins at level 249 and I got a single at 253 (Powder blue and white). Imprinted to 100% then flew around for an hour + just killing (no explorer notes) and gained another 34 levels in that time.  Found out he is a very capable fighter so I named him Spartacus.

Found a 145 Yuty last night and couldn't resist since I have been looking for a high level one since I started this world.  I knocked it out on the ice, however, when it fell to the ground it slid off the ice and into the water.  So heartbreaking. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

I started a new character and took a walk on Rag for the first time the other day.  That place is very cool and the NE corner reminds me of Montana. I saw a ton of pillars over the span of about 2 hours and was unable to find anywhere to hang my newbie hat within reasonable walking distance so I transferred to another server.  Same story. Transferred again. Same story.  ugggh! Frustrating, yes. Died many many times...yes.  But I am determined to find a spot somewhere. I will return with determination soon. 

Back on Island (primitive plus) we bred Argy this weekend.  I incubated 2 eggs and gave one to my tribe-mate to hatch. He got twins at level 249 and I got a single at 253 (Powder blue and white). Imprinted to 100% then flew around for an hour + just killing (no explorer notes) and gained another 34 levels in that time.  Found out he is a very capable fighter so I named him Spartacus.

Found a 145 Yuty last night and couldn't resist since I have been looking for a high level one since I started this world.  I knocked it out on the ice, however, when it fell to the ground it slid off the ice and into the water.  So heartbreaking. 

i suggest playing unofficial server, great servers and much better than official ones. however im assuming the pillar issue was because you were playing on official.

(Official, Valguero) Practiced riding gasbags. I think I got fairly okay at it. Made a glider and "walked" my wyverns by gliding with them on follow. Bred tek rexes, velonas, owls and gachas. Rexes, owls and velonas all were wrong: no mutations on velonas and rexes, and wrong colors on owl. Killed them. Gacha hasn't finished gestating yet, so don't know if it's a disappointment or joy. Made a chibi, it was a spino. I was hoping for something rarer, but fine.

Decluttered the base: froze barios, lystros, gally, second ankylo and second argent, moved sheep to the stable, placed all wyverns but one onto a cliff, froze Elisabeth. A lot more free space now!

Gacha done. Twins. One was able to make sulfur, but I don't need sulfur. Killed both. But at least now I know that twin gachas can have different resources!

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

Much more productive day than expected. Got home from work a bit later than expected so while dinner was looking I flew around on my wyvern checking for yuty spawns. Found a few low levels, nothing to write home about...until I got to the back of the wyvern trench and found an event colored 130 running amok precariously close to the edge.

Flew home, loaded up my taming trap and supplies and headed back out. It was probably one of the more tense tames I've ever done. If it managed to get out of the trap while torpor running it would fall into the trench. And several wyverns were flying close enough to potentially aggro. So that was fun.

Got it home and enjoyed dinner while breeding her as I do have a pair I tamed previously for eggs. The very first egg I popped was almost perfect, missing only melee. But the colors are great and who melees on a yuty anyway so I'm spending my evening raising her. While I do have a nanny, I'm raising her by hand. I like to do that sometimes, I just feel like I get more attached to the dinos I actively raise myself. I use the nanny mostly for mass army raising and for things like wyverns because I'm too lazy to build a trap and go wyvern milking.

So that's my entire evening, pretty much. Now, I do know the 130 stats aren't the best, but it's definitely good enough. It helps that i have an ascendant saddle too, which is more than I could say for my poor dead yutys on The Island who had to run all bosses with primitive saddles as I never found one in drops.

• Like 2

(Official, Extinction) Tamed a second gasbags. Male, wild level 20 (didn't find any better close to The City, and didn't want to stick too long far from it, so had to settle for that). Made 2 saddles, 1 for him to wear and a spare one. Named him Pillow and uploaded him, spare saddle, and leftover kibble.

(Official, Valguero) Retrieved Pillow and other stuff. Bred gasbags, bred velonas, bred rexes, bred gachas. Rexes: no new mutations. Velonas: no mutations. Gachas: twins, black pearls on one, but I don't like pearls enough to keep it alive. No dust. Gasbags: 1 baby, male, full dad's stats and colors, will raise, but likely won't keep.

On 10/24/2020 at 2:34 AM, AllOfTheAllos said:

Or maybe once I get a new melee or health mutation on my tek rexes, I'll move the former SE-current Ab survivor back to SE, make a rex saddle, and send the former breeder rex there to use for obtaining deathworm horns, seeing that announcement of mantises becoming breedable in the future. Probably will do exactly that.

I found on SE that a Megatherium is unstoppable in the desert.  Deathworms are bugs.  If you kill a beetle or Mantis first, you will be able to plow through Deathworms all day.

On 10/26/2020 at 3:49 AM, Kodking194 said:

i suggest playing unofficial server, great servers and much better than official ones. however im assuming the pillar issue was because you were playing on official.

Yes, I was on official.  I am thinking of trying Primitive Plus Rag since there are less people on P+, and I have a character on the island P+ so it would make some sense to stick with that mode.  However, after this latest gaff... leaving our world in a scramble without wild dinos I might have to consider unofficial next.

8 hours ago, Stretch11 said:

I found on SE that a Megatherium is unstoppable in the desert.  Deathworms are bugs.  If you kill a beetle or Mantis first, you will be able to plow through Deathworms all day.

But I'd have to tame a megatherium, and probably do some breeding to get a decent one (and I HATE breeding mammals, since there is no way to pause the gestation and continue tomorrow). And the rex is already there, with his 370-something melee and 9900 health - just gotta put into stats all the levels he accumulated by existing. 

• Volunteer Moderator

This thread has been fun, light-hearted and one of the longest running mostly due to the upbeat posts from everyone about daily Ark life.

Over the years I've removed and will continue to remove posts that are little more than bug reports or complaints about the temporary state of the game on any given platform.  Those things do exist and there are plenty of other threads in which to carry on that conversation.

I hope everyone here understands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, volar said:

your right found a whole thread full of people on win10 not being able to play was buried in xbox bug reports section, one of those areas that im guessing is not monitored, but your right shouldn't be here

The Win10 version of the game is based on the Xbox codebase. All bugs related belong in that section.

It's being monitored and the devs are aware of those issues.

Checked with WildCard, their QA team is looking into it.

Edited by Joebl0w13

Aaaand returning to the theme of listing one's daily achievements/failures in ARK:

(Official, Valguero) Rexes, velonas - no mutations yet again. Owl - unknown, missed it (was busy rearranging workshop). Gasbags: first baby raised to juvenile and, as I said in an earlier post, I didn't keep him, that little critter has a new owner now. Gotta spread the magic of inflatable tardigrades! New baby also male, keeping him, wanna see how good he'll get with full imprint. Gachas - no dust yet again.

Frostbite (managarmr I was raising) is fully grown and fully imprinted now, and let me tell you something about riding manas: riding for the first time, on a wild-tame, in main seat, on a non-laggy day I was like "Wheeeee!". But now, main seat, non-laggy day, full imprint? "WHEEEEEEE!!!". Seriously. He fast. And strong! With pre-imprint melee of only 237%, before any points were put in it, he still made VERY short work of a level 145 rex. Precision landing a bit difficult, though - speed too great, I'm not used to that. Gotta practice more.

Rearranged the workshop a bit, installed, named and painted vaults for polymer, cementing paste and chitin, moved obsidian one closer to the fabricator, made new smithy and chemistry bench after taking the old ones down to achieve more logical placement of vaults, boxes, and crafting stations. Made a lot of polymer, since now I'm not at risk of running out of space in the box.

Used my glider A LOT. It's fun! Painted it cyan.

Finally took a few minutes to figure out Smart Breeder for real. Now I have almost all the dinos that I use in breeding at the moment loaded in it (except for deinons, will do them later), plus a few just because, plus lymantrias so that they'll already be there when that update happens. I didn't know it can tell dino's initial level and stats! It's awesome, especially since due to me trying to keep dino number low, some are both in use and breeders, base stats long since lost to leveling - well, not anymore! And colors. I was quite surprised to learn that my tek rexes have dark gray instead of black. They still look cool, though.

(Singleplayer, The Island) Started a new save to check something, didn't work, but since I started it anyway I decided it's a good chance to take a look at the boss arenas. So I spawned some unassembled meks of ridiculous levels, some element, all the tributes and artifacts, turned creative mode on, and did dragon, broodmother and megapithecus, all on alpha. Megapithecus has a nice-looking arena. Broodmother's is kinda meh. Dragon's arena is right in the middle: pretty cool, but not awesome. Despite creative mode and using a mek each time, it wasn't easy, so my opinion on boss fights hasn't changed: they are NOT something I'd do for real. If it takes so long with all that, doing it on official, with risk of dying and losing tames is definitely something i don't want.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

Logged into Primitive Plus world to see if world was fixed. Nope.... still no wild dinos or loot drops to be found anywhere. Put berries in troughs so, at least, the herbivories can eat. collected poo for the compost and logged off.

Had a friend tell me recently he wanted to learn how to play so I started a character on Island official, figuring I could scout out and maybe find a place to settle before he begins.  I spent a few hours running up and down beaches being a noob again.  And as expected there were many large established bases in the area... so I started building a raft.  I decided to make a houseboat/ taming pen combo. I used the pillar trick to sink the foundations into the raft and then changed it all to stone.  It is essentially a 5x5 craft now.  House part is behind the tiller (1x5) will all the basic amenities bed, smithy, forge, mortor, storage, etc... and there will be a 3x3 taming pen up front with a ramp. Nothing too extravagant but it will certainly help with mobility and safety.  If I can pick up a few good tames along the beach... bonus.  3+ hours of work got me to level 40.  A good start I think. I will start exploring tomorrow.

• Like 1

(Official, Valguero) Got a health mutation on a tek rex (a male one!), but he inherited bad melee and I, in a moment of stupid, killed off all the non-mutants in that batch including the good melee female, so I'll have to wait for a next batch, then pick a good melee female out of it, then raise it and the health male, then breed them until they give me a melee+health male and only after THAT'S grown I'll be able to rel=place my old breeder male.

Bred gasbags, another male, killed it because I already have one for breeding, and one I'm raising to imprint, so no need in new ones. Unless one ends up born with a mutation that'll turn it green, then it lives no matter what.

Bred gachas. Clay! Clay. Seriously. THAT'S what it chooses to produce. Well, then it shouldn't be surprised that I chose to shoot it in the head.

Tamed an allo. Wild level 135, kibble-tamed, female. Most importantly, has Actual Black as her spine color. Checked the two allos I had podded in the fridge with Smart Breeder - Black on the body and spine, both of them. Killed the worse one. But you know what that means? That's right, I just have to find and tame a black-belly male, and then I'll e ready to assemble a full black allo (and no, doing it without the Actual Black spine won't do. Regular black allows for brownish edge on plates, so Actual Black is necessary for a true Full Black allo)!

Got a first mutation on a deinon. But it's weight and color's on an inactive region, so killed it anyway.

Full Black Allo assembly kit is complete! As in, I got a blackbelly male. Wild level only 20 and effectiveness only 70% (accidentally shot another dart after he was already downed), but that doesn't matter. What matters is that he's tamed, checked for color with Smart Breeder because  I don't trust my eyes when it comes to the exact shade of an allo's belly, and bred to both females in hopes that one of the babies ends up with black belly, black whichever region is black on its mother, and male, so that I can breed it to the other female.

Also when I was taming the allo, Connection timed out, I died, and another player stole darts, kibble, and chibi from my death inventory. I'm not particularly upset about darts and kibble, but that chibi was almost level 3, and leveling another one would take quite a while.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

Xbox official Island.

Really enjoyable day on the island today, finally tamed a frog of my own. The swamp area is definitely the hardest place on the island to tame, in my opinion. Plenty of greedy torp wielding predators waiting to catch you unawares. I have a really high level frog already, a clone traded previously.

I play solo on a pve server and I'm lucky to have a very good relationship with several other players, which has allowed me to trade dinos I wouldn't be able to tame or breed by myself. But I recently decided to try and tame at least one of each dinosaurs possible on the island.

Which brings me back to why it has been so enjoyable today,  I have been breeding beelzebufo mainly  today. My high level 401 super clone traded frog and a wild tame level 53 sitting on the stairs weakling swamp dweller. Honestly it has much by surprise from tadpole to adult has been achieved with a big smile on my face. I know raising can be a chore sometimes but I have really engaged with this particular creature. 

(Official, Valguero) Remembered that aside from verry useful obsidian, in which I'm pretty much swimming by now (over a hundred stacks!), Generous can also make... Stone! And that means I can get huge amounts of it, without having to carry a doed around, in the form of nice, lightweight gacha crystals. So I gave Generous some thatch doors, and hide, and whatever other non-valuables I had laying around, and got a ton of stone, and made some cementing paste. And since I now remember that he can make stone, I'll now b  able to make paste whenever I want, with barely any effort. I think I'll keep him set on making stone for as long, as it'll take to use up all the obsidian to make tons of polymer. Just because.

Nearly lost Frostbite because I got kicked to main menu while jumping above deinon nests, and he was on passive because manas habit of leaping away instead of fighting back is the worst thing ever. Luckily, it was close to my base, so I just grabbed an owl, ice-bombed everything to stop deinons and heal Frostbite a bit, killed deinons, hopped onto Frostbite, whistled the owl and leaped back into my base to heal Frost back to his full health in peace. My armor got totally destroyed, though, so I'm only wearing fairly mediocre riot pants at the moment. Don't want to spend the resources on making new armor (especially since my BPs for it mostly aren't too great compared to what gachas can give), so will have to wait until I get a new set from gacha crystals.

Probably will stick with using Deimos for all the hunting from now on, at least until that maintenance - thanks to him being a giga and therefore lacking the habit of leaping who knows where at the sign of danger, he is kept on neutral, so if anything happens he'll "happen" right back.

Bred gachas - no dust, bred rexes - kept good melee female. Bred velonas - kept a female, non-mutated, but I decided having a fourth breeder won't hurt. Bred jerboas - missed it. Bred allos - forgot about it, so missed eggs entirely.

(Official, Extinction) Fed the dinos. Repaired almost all of the holes in the house. Logged off.

(Official, Crystal Isles) Gonna grab some crystals and look for event colored wyverns (black/gray ones. Maybe purple if really good looking). Maybe build the base a bit as well.

No wyverns of the event colors I wanted were found. 1 non-event color full blue level 90 female tropical was found, but when I was taming her she flew into a cliff so I fell off and she flew away. Oh well. No building was done.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

(Official, Valguero) Killed a 145 skeletal rex! Highest alpha rex I've ever killed, and the first one I killed while riding Deimos - and Deimos did great, as expected from a full-imprinted giga, even if it's a full imprinted 70% base melee giga. The bone rex costume I  got for that will from now on be worn by my male breeder tek rex (at the moment that's Bitey).

Hatched a full black male allo. Well, 14-14-14, so full black but can be made even blacker by breeding with Actual Black spined female, and that's  exactly what I'll do once he's grown.

Bred gachas, no dust. Tried out that sword I got a while ago in exchange for one of my tek rexes - might just use only it for disposing of mediocre babies! It's awesome!

Bred velonas, got a health mutation, some kind of yellow/orange (pretty sure it's 10). Keeping it - looks nice.

Made a ton of coloring, loaded the pictures I snapped with a camera (yes, I know it's a useless resource sink. But it looks better than if I did paintings by hand) onto the canvas. Might change one of them later - too dark. Maybe will snap some pics in singleplayer on Center or Crystal Isles to replace it.

(Official, Extinction) Forest cave again. Barely lost any health, but no good loot. No Ext-specific BPs, either. Funny thing happened, though: some purlovias were burrowed on a ledge, dismounted me... Except I was on Jotunn. Who is a tek rex. So I was dismounted, stunned, and... Standing on his back. And he's always kept on neutral. So, yeah, that was the least well thought-out thing those purlovias ever did. And also the last thing they ever did.

Saw a skeletal giga near The City. Got no way of dealing with it, so just took a good look from a safe distance and went home.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1