So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

it's been a few days since I joined the PVE Primitive Plus server.  So far, I like it.  TBH I love all different crafting engrams.  I still don't know how to use many of them yet, but I will get there.  So, after I finally found a piece of land to call home, I put down a few foundations nestled in some rocks on the west coast to hold a few basic items.  However, I didn't want to start building right away in fear that there could be a better spot around the bend so I made a raft.  And I made it with a taming pen up front and a small workshop/living space in back.  Then I set sail.  I traveled down the west coast and across the bottom of the map.  I went around herbivore island and up the east coast to the swamp.  Most of the land along the coast seemed to be taken but it was not as bad as I have seen in other online videos  There were still a few open areas.  I tried to tame a couple pteras along the way but ran into many new-guy issues, like not having enough tranq arrows, or narcotics, or meat, or getting harassed so badly by seagulls and dilos that I just couldn't stay any longer.  Anyway, I made it home without any new friends, recovered, collected more supplies and headed north.  I found a level 100 saber cat just before the sand turns to ice and lured him into my mobile taming pen easily enough using myself as bait.  This time I pulled away from the beach to open water and finished the tame with regular raw meat.  Wish I had prime!  Anyway, I have a saber now and it is making my life a little easier.

Went home, realized I probably won't find a better spot and built a dock for my boat because I can and I think it looks better than parking on the beach.  Now I have started working on the house.  It will be much more modest in size than my neighbors since I am just catering to myself for now and not a tribe.  I also have no intention of surrounding my area with a huge behemoth gate system.  I prefer the open house concept.  I have nothing to hide.  And hopefully others will be more inclined to stop by and say hello.  The lumber mill is new to me and I'm enjoying the look of lumber. Nice change of pace, better (stronger) than regular wood and not as clunky as stone.  I have changed the design layout a couple times as I am trying to be conscious of the impact it will have to my surrounding area.  I am trying to work with the rocks around me and not just demolishing them to make a clear space.

I have taken the cat out a few times.  He is not a breeder but will work great as a house cat to gather meat and hide, and scare away all the little critters.  Keeping my eyes open for a beaver, anky, and doedi of a good level to help with the grunt work around the house.  I have never liked trikes and parasaurs (spelling?) and don't want to just start taming a bunch of animals I don't want.  They cost time and resources. Sure, I might be able to use them a little, but mostly they will just be sitting around making noise and eating my food. No thanks.  I am going for small and efficient.

Later Gators!

• Like 5

Okay, I haven't been on this thread in a while, but I have more news. The past few days, I'd been playing another (also very good) game. Today, I dino-wiped, and went searching. After not too long, I found a 115 baryonyx. I tamed him up (prime fish, I'd forgotten kibble). 

On the way home I found many more, one of which was 130, but it died fighting a spino, due to the crazy knockback. Stupid spino. I also found a 125 spino (while they can help with the broodmother, my personal lowest level I'll take for a bosskiller is 130. I know, it's close, but you gotta draw the line somewhere) and a 140 rex. Definitely nice, but I already have a good female rex.

I got some levels on my new bary, killing piranhas and megalodons was a piece of cake. After everything, he has around 2.5k health, and hits for over 120 damage. I also preemptively made some SCUBA tanks, a mask, and flippers, I'm hoping my otter and high fortitude will make leggings unnecessary. 

Tommorrow, I'm taming a basi. My baryonyx's low-ish health might be a problem when dealing with swarms of mantas and megalodons, and cnidaria can send me back to my bed easily. The healing from fish will help, but it's still risky. However, the underwater caves will have to be done eventually, and a trip through one could yield a good rex, megatheirium, or theri saddle. Even before my hypothetical basi is cave-ready, it can still get me bio toxin, angler gel, black pearls, absorbent substrate, and silica pearls.

I also want to play with the non-story ARKs again soon, but twice that character has suffered greatly (losing tons of stuff in the mesh, and losing more stuff and a high-level thyla during a transfer). Speaking of which, I think I'll make a backup of my Island save soon, it really could come in handy. 

Edited by DodoRaptor
  • Like 3

Okay guys, lots of news. Mostly good. First of all, I tamed a basilosaurus. It was 125, and near Herbivore Island. The swarm wasn't too bad, my bary took very little damage. However, I am certain that a shark or sarco of similar stats would have been dead. The sharks and mantas have low health, but if you don't stun-lock constantly, the damage really stacks up. The second feed was brutal, but after that it, it was pretty quick (I used cooked mutton).

My basi currently has (after a level-up run) 18k health, and hits for over 150 damage. We killed anglers, plesis, sharks, cnidaria, electrophorus, and even an alpha shark. It was all so...easy. Underwater is no longer the frightening realm it was before. I'm thinking about doing the cave of the brute soon, but I'm nervous. The cave of the cunning seems absolutely terrifying, and I might wait until I have an imprinted basi for that.

And for some more land-based news, I tamed a 135 male sloth. Like the theri I upgraded and used an old taming pen. Better health than my female, but still low in general (somewhere between four and five thousand), and melee is significantly lower. I could breed them until I have two babies, both with the better stats, but I don't know if those stats are acceptable. Will I need a yuty? High-quality saddles? Where will I get them? Could I run the swamp cave with a bred sloth? I still don't know what I'll do for a lot of things. 

Edited by DodoRaptor
  • Like 2

(official, Valguero) Fed the dinos. Made some kibble. Went to the swamp for a bary. Highest level was 90, and it was a female. Had to tame her for the lack of other options. She isn't deserving of the saddle I can craft from my 60 armor BP, though, so she'll just stay podded until I get a good level male, and then she'll be laying eggs until something nice hatches.

(official, Crystal Isles) Official wiki says Cr. Wyvern gotta be lvl 20 or lower to be tamed with regular crystal. Only tamed them during 4X taming, so decided to check if true for non-event. Found lvl 145 Tropical male. FAAAAALSE! 72.9% already, no progress decrease, I think I'll name him Mojito.

He's tamed. Took a while, but not too long. Effectiveness wasn't too bad, 195 post-tame.

(official, Valguero again) Grabbed Mojito with my main character because I have no use for high-level wyv on Crystal Isles. Tamed a 135 male parasaur that I found stuck in my gate. Took Mojito, kibble, rifle, tranq darts and narcotics and went to the swamp to find a male bary for breeding. Found a level 135. Just tamed him, as perfectly as possible. Named him Adam. Gonna breed him to the female what's-her-name right after I bring him to my base.

Holy raptors! 3 tek rex eggs just hatched, 1 of the males got a second melee mutation! Wrong health, tho, so I took one of other hatchlings, a female, who inherited the right health, to raise them together and get a new, 9900 H 372 M breeding male.

5 more eggs hatched, no mutations. 1 more (accidental, forgot to turn mating off), and after that no more tek rex breeding until the current pair is grown. Bary egg hatched female, father's melee and stripe color, which is great. Giga egg hatched, colors and melee right, but female.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 3

Hello again,
most of the time I was still grinding (didn't get to play much). Expanded my house a little and other stuff. Eventually I found another Therezino walking about the meadows more or less close to my taming pen and to my amazement found it was already level 120. That's the highest Therezino I have seen in this game so far. So my old and trusty Ptera was my vehicle of choice and I eventually lured him into my taming pen. Need more practice with that, btw, but I did it. Thought everything would be easy from there. Landed in short, but not close distance, set the Ptera to neutral and took a decent stand to shoot the Therezino. So far, so good. It was when I reloaded for my second shot, that the Ptera shot forward at the Therezino and attacked. Stupid little thing. I whistled about every tune I could think of (well, it's been a stressful situation), but alas... the Therezino made quick work of that silly Ptera. I was sad. I grew to like it. Had taken the trio out for several resource grinds and they had proven kind of reliable. Now it's no trio anymore. Just two leftovers. Well, first of all I finished taming the Therezino up and I'm quite happy with what I got there. Then I wondered what I should do about the lost Ptera. Going on resource-grinds with just two Ptera was kind of pointless, since one would have to carry me and the other wouldn't be enough to make the grind worthwhile. Even with the trio I had found the carrying capacity lacking. So I scouted the area some, but didn't find any decent level Ptera. So I gave up on that topic and came back to my long-term-goal. Get an Argy. Finally. After all, most of the grinds I had done were aimed towards that goal. So I crafted up a gateway and set of towards the volcano, keeping west of the redwood. In between I had thought that the mountain in the middle of the redwood might be a nice hunting-area for Argys, too, but I was scared flying over the redwood then. So I made my way to the volcano. Took a while and I had a bunch of nice views on the trip, but overall nothing really eventful happened. Spend the night inside the volcano, since it became too cold outside. Spotted a delicate construction at the bottom of the volcano, that was definitely made by some intelligent being, but I was too scared to get close. Also took the opportunity to mine some of the rare stuff you can find there, but had to be careful. After all, my Ptera would have to carry me and kite an Argy to my yet to be set trap. Also falling down into the volcano seemed like certain doom to me.

At dawn I set out to inspect the Argys of the area and set up my trap. After a while I spotted a level 120 Argy and decided I'd settle for that. It seemed that the bunch of them was between level 6 and 30 and I wasn't happy with those. Even tried to kill one of them and did so with ease. So ... not appealing. But the "c"-attack is something to be remembered. Quite nice. So I set up the trap... after putting up the gateway I had to gather some thatch and wood and was surprised how far I had to travel to get that. Coming back, I had a hard time to find the gateway, but did after a while of fruitless searching. I wish I could have set a flag or something to make that part easier.
Then I set out to get my Argy. I couldn't find it. The one I was aiming for was nowhere to be found. After some searching I spotted a level 102 and took that as an alternative to spend the whole day seeking. I started kiting it towards the trap. Lost it, turned around and started kiting again. Lost it again. Those Argys really aren't very persistent when it comes to chasing prey. I wish everything was that easy to shake off. Next attempt I really lost the Argy - it took off and my stamina was all out and I had to rest. When I was ready to go again, I could not find it. And most of all, I couldn't find my trap. So I took a tour around the volcano, searching for my trap. It felt like searching a needle in a haystack, since that volcano becomes really big when you get close. Had to spend another night inside the volcano. Getting out next dawn, I could find the same tracks I had used the other day and promptly found my trap again. So that was covered. I immediately set out to scout for a decent Argy, but the situation was even worse than before. Best I could find was a  lvl 72 Argy. Disappointing! But leaving without an Argy really wasn't an option. After all, that trap shouldn't have been set for nothing. So I started to lure him towards the trap. Lost him just as the day before, but I dared more allowing it to enter the screen several times and it worked much better. It was tough to find the trap again, but I managed that, too. Got it in and got out as planned. So that worked. Now close the gate. Well... I was silly about that. Too excited about my catch to mind my steps. So it flew out again when I closed the gate. I immediately mounted the Ptera and set out after it. It didn't go far - seems it was a bit annoyed by the two of us. I'm glad it was - and it right then got stuck just behind my trap, where the landscape narrows to a small path. And then it glitched back into my trap with gates already closed. Eventually the game was working FOR me??? Took me a moment to comprehend, but from there on everything went easy. Used the taming time to gather some resources and throw them straight into the inventory of the Argy. The carrying capacity is rather poor with 500 after taming, but that's still better than any of my Pteras can do. Well, I'll have to get out and get a better Argy, soon, but it's a start. And now I've done it at least once. Maybe I could even re-use the trap. Who knows.

For my route back home I decided to fly to redwood-mountain instead of the longer path I had come. Spotted a bunch of Argys over there and checked them out. Oh my... the perfect (!!!) Argy, right there. Ofcourse... after I had tamed one. Now I saw a level 192 right there and had no trap available to get it. The way to the volcano was far too long to try. Just made a mental note to come back soon. Ok, so the game was not working FOR me. Kind of soothing. Nothing has changed.

I'll spare you the rest of my sillyness. We got home safe and sound and ready to work from there.

Ttys ;)

Eleusius.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Eleusius said:

Spend the night inside the volcano, since it became too cold outside. Spotted a delicate construction at the bottom of the volcano, that was definitely made by some intelligent being, but I was too scared to get close.

Ttys ;)

Eleusius.

That structure is the entrance to the TEK cave.  Good job on your Argy.  They are not the easiest tame as they often take a little pre-planning and set-up.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

Fed the dinos. Made some kibble. Went to the swamp for a bary. Highest level was 90, and it was a female. Had to tame her for the lack of other options.

Cr. Wyvern . Found lvl 145 Tropical male. I think I'll name him Mojito.

Tamed a 135 male parasaur that I found stuck in my gate.

Took Mojito, kibble, rifle, tranq darts and narcotics and went to the swamp to find a male bary for breeding. Found a level 135. Just tamed him, as perfectly as possible. Named him Adam. Gonna breed him to the female what's-her-name right after I bring him to my base.

Holy raptors! 3 tek rex eggs just hatched, 1 of the males got a second melee mutation! Wrong health, tho, so I took one of other hatchlings, a female, who inherited the right health, to raise them together and get a new, 9900 H 372 M breeding male.

5 more eggs hatched, no mutations. 1 more (accidental, forgot to turn mating off), and after that no more tek rex breeding until the current pair is grown. Bary egg hatched female, father's melee and stripe color, which is great. Giga egg hatched, colors and melee right, but female.

Busy day!! Well done. Lots of progress there.

• Like 1

I found out that you get carbon from oil nodes on Primitive Plus. Then found out you can convert that to steel in the forge when mixed with iron.  Very cool.  Used that to make a steel safe. Even cooler. 

Searched the beach areas for a few utility dinos.  Saw some low level ankys.  Passed them up.  I also saw a 135 bronto and a 150 trike... very tempting but passed them up too.  I realized that I was tight on time this morning before going to work and didn't want to start something I couldn't finish.

Went home and worked on the house.  Added a second level and I think I might put my garden on the roof.  It helps to keep my overall footprint on the area a little smaller.  Made a cooking station and put it on the porch since it looks like a outdoor BBQ.  Grilled some steaks and chicken ?

Took the cat (still my only tame) out for a little exercise and levels.

• Like 3

Today I went on a little rock elemental hunt. Highest level killed 135. Pros of hunting elems with a giga: the feeling of UNLIMITED POWAH! Cons: 4 kills and it's back to the base because resources weight a lot. Also, built a vault, and took down both the box for items/BPs for personal use and one for BPs to maybe trade at some point, since it all and more can easily fit in my new vault.

• Like 2

So I recently read that the kibble system has no added benefit in Primitive Plus when taming. Meaning it can be used but does not increase the speed or effectiveness of the tame over other items like meat or veggies.  I have not tried it yet myself to see it this is true or not and I would be grateful if any of you can confirm this or not.

Anyway, I decided to get the farm going since veggies/crops are, at least, better than berries.  My house sits back and away from the water a bit and I didn't want to run 30 or 40 sections of pipe just to have a ground garden near the house (ugly, ugly, ugly).... so I built it on the roof using the stone reservoirs. I started with one reservoir and 4 medium crop plots; but the one tank seemed inadequate after a couple rains to keep the plots hydrated.  So I added a second tank and everything seems fine.  I have never used the tank/reservoir system before and this method of farming is all new to me. I am learning. 

I then built two compost bins, and since I only have one cat as a tame to produce poo, I had to follow around a few wild dinos to collect the precious treasure.  I only had two fertilizer made before I had to go to work.  I planted my first two plots with lettuce and spinach.  They are new to me and I wanted to give them a try.  I don't know if they are good for taming yet or not but I will find out soon enough.

• Like 2

Why Official Server is so problematic, and why tamed dinoes AI so stupid now did they make changes ?

I was about to farm raw meat using my carno, then a lv 45 baryonyx attacked me, I got knocked off mount, ok my carno was on NEUTRAL, but why the heck it iwas just standing there like an idiot doing absolutely nothing being a sandbag ,  devs maybe have to check the dino AI, its so stupid nowadays dunno what's changed. 

Then I brought my mega to save my Carno, when a dino hit the back of a mounted dino, or is it only mega, its really hard to turn, then I got knocked off mount AGAIN, and died, press respawn, it gave me black screen DILO getting in the game takes forever. Too problematic as ALWAYS with disconnectosaurus, I don't know if my mega and carno will be alive when I get back online, I already set them to NEUTRAL, but the AI so damn stupid, carno just stood there doing nothing, I hope megatherium AI will kick in, or else they will die because of this.

Mistake after mistake, mostly not mine. Whats the point of a high level dino, high dmg etc if they can't fight back even on neutral ????????????  

If my dinoes dead then I'll just quit, I'm done with stupid dinoes. Might as well play on pvp server than being diloed over and over by disconnectosaurus

CARNO WAS ALIVE, I saw them both.

Screenshot_41.thumb.jpg.f62811f7170cbb0b75bad1cb1aedfd8b.jpg

HOW COME A LV 250 CARNO GOT KILLED BY A LV 45 BARYONYX ???? WITH A MEGATHERIUM LV 250 BESIDE HIM ???????? BOTH ON NEUTRAL NOT DOING ANYTHING, COME ON NOW !!! EVEN MY MEGATHERIUM WAS 2/3 HP. THIS IS RIDICULOUS ! FIX THE DINO AI FORFSAKE.  THIS IS MADDENING

Screenshot_42.thumb.jpg.709269b114540d5c9feeb12e58258297.jpg

IS THAT NOT ENOUGH PROOF ? HERE LV 209 MEGATHERIUM VS A THERIZINO LV 95, ITS ONE SWIPE AWAY FROM BEING DEAD ! I SAVED IT JUST IN TIME WITH MY BEAR, HE WAS RUNNING IN CIRCLE BEING CLAWED BY THERIZ ON NEUTRAL !

Screenshot_11.thumb.jpg.2695a366e02e2dfb4fb329b349f3caa7.jpg

BTW I STILL GOT MORE SCREENSHOTS IVE POSTED IN OTHER THREADS WHEN I JUST FRESHLY HAD THE ACCIDENTS, THIS IS TIRING PLAYING A BUGGY GAME ON A PROBLEMATIC SERVER. MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE NOT EVEN MINE FOR THE MOST PART

was in process taming a lv 150 male baryonyx but i've lost the will to play anymore, I'll be back later for Gen Two and let everything decay for now, hope it's fixed by then. And I hope my char won't be deleted later, I lost my lv 102 char the other day.

400%+ melee carnotaurus lv 250 got killed on neutral by a lv 45 wild baryonyx, what a joke

Edited by DonaldDuck
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2020 at 3:48 PM, AllOfTheAllos said:

(official, Crystal Isles) Logged on to check on my wyverns, Summerwind was missing. Hopped onto Lilac Wind, went to search for her. Looked all over the islands, and in the desert, in the mountains as well,  gave up, returned to the base, she was actually sitting near a cliff pretty close to it.

(singleplayer, Crystal Isles) Replaced the save with an older one again because I cheated a bit and felt guilty. Tamed a new Embersteed, again, best colors, low level, female this time. Tamed a rhea. Named her Persephone. Now when my Embersteed gives Barren ash I'll be ready. Also tamed an obsidian slag. Apparently, they produce not only obsidian, cementing paste, and organic poly, but cakes as well. Cool, no need to bother with feeding it then.

(official, Valguero) Did a big berry run with my diplo. Fed the herbivores. Bred tek rexes, put the eggs into the hatchery. Put the older giga egg there, too. And the lystro egg I had in the fridge. Bred the lystros and put the second egg in there as well. Went on a nice meatrun with Elisabeth, killed a lot of dinos and two elementals (levels 20 and 95), unpodded Deimos to raise him more, maybe even to his next imprint.

Bred gigas again, put the egg in the hatchery. Oldest egg hatched, colors almost right (belly is wrong, reddish instead of brown), gender is right, stats are wrong. Yet another disappointment. Picked up tek rex eggs, podded Deimos and the new failure of a giga, logged off.

What is an "obsidian slag"?  I search the Dododex for Crystal Isles and I could not find anything that might be close.  I am interested in something that produces obsidian.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stretch11 said:

What is an "obsidian slag"?  I search the Dododex for Crystal Isles and I could not find anything that might be close.  I am interested in something that produces obsidian.

On @AllOfTheAllos single-player there are mods installed. If you can't find it on the wiki/Dododex it's a mod.

This morning I played for a bit before work.  I thinking of maybe expanding the garden since I have sooo many different seeds to plant, then decided I better do something about the fertilizer (or lack there of) problem.  So I gave in and tamed the first parasaur to walk by.  It was a 55 and tamed up quick enough.  So now I have a saber and an oversized green donkey.  Now it is a waiting game, collect poo and toss it in the compost bin.

While I was waiting I decided to take the saber out to collect some meat when I saw a Pteranodon swoop over the trees in front of me.  It was a 140. I can't pass this one up. So I grabbed the bola and took it down.  I knocked her out with tranq arrows and realized I needed more meat.... and more narcotics. I ran around and collected some meat. went back to base, luckily it was close, and grabbed all the narcotics I had. 

It quickly dawned on me that regular meat sucks for taming.  Since starting fresh in this new world last week, not having mutton and prime in the fridge is weird.  And after the first feeding I saw I was only getting 2.1% taming with each bite.  Not good.  This was going to take awhile and another sucky thing is I had to go to work in 90 minutes.  The torpor was going down fast and I spent my time collecting berries and running back to make more narcotics.  I put out a general call for help in the community talk box (or whatever you call it) and asked if anyone nearby had time to help a new guy.  No responses.  No worries.  I get it... I am new.  It is ok.  It was worth a try to see if anyone would give up some kibble or prime to help the process go a little faster.  Anyway, A few dilos came too close at times and had to be dealt with.  I also had two mid-level therizinos come at me but my saber was able to handle them.  I even got a couple prime for the effort which helped. 

Nonetheless, it was time for me to go to work and the Ptera was only at 69%, so I did what all good dads do. I woke up my daughter and gave her a crash course in ARK.  In 3 minutes I taught her how to feed the ptera, ride the saber, collect berries, and how to find her way back to my base.  I promised her I would not get upset if anything went wrong, and then I left.

I was not 3 minutes down the road when she called, screaming that she was being attacked. Saying "some little dude spit at me and now I can't see."  So the whole drive in to work was spent on speaker phone teaching my daughter how to fight and survive.  When I finally got to work and had to hang up the phone she had recovered her vision, the dilo was dead, and she was LOST.  AND...She could not find the ptera or the saber.  That is a bad spot to hang up the phone.

It was a long and quiet 15 minutes until she texted me and said she found the ptera finally.  And it was tamed! Woohoo! However, she still could not find the saber.  Which is ok. Honestly I would rather have the ptera at this point in the game.  There is a distinct value in taking flight for the first time. 

She made her way back to base after I told her how to use the whistle command for follow.  Relief.  My daughter did great and gets extra ice cream tonight. I even told her she can name the Ptera.  But I am still going to look for the saber when I get home. lol. ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

(Official, Valguero) Went on a meatrun/leveling trip with Mojito, as out of the three wyverns currently unpodded and in use he's the newest and still needs some EXP. Learned that hyaenodons CAN fight wyverns, there's just has to be a pack of about 10-15 for them to become brave enough. Not that numbers saved them. After getting back to the base and putting meat in the troughs, unpodded Deimos and the two baby tek rexes, and went on a second meatrun, this time with Elisabeth. Got a new level on her, it went to melee, of course. Put the giga egg and the accidental tek rex one into the hatchery. For now that's all.

The only thing that happened since this comment was first written is that Deimos got another imprint before I podded him and the rexes and logged off. He now has 905 weight, which is great because low weight is the most annoying thing about gigas, especially when hunting rock elementals. I think once he's fully imprinted and fully grown, he'll be able to eat 6, maybe even 7 elementals before having to return to the base with all the loot.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

(...)

Nonetheless, it was time for me to go to work and the Ptera was only at 69%, so I did what all good dads do. I woke up my daughter and gave her a crash course in ARK. 

(...)

She made her way back to base after I told her how to use the whistle command for follow.  Relief.  My daughter did great and gets extra ice cream tonight. I even told her she can name the Ptera.  But I am still going to look for the saber when I get home. lol. ?

Would have given you 100 likes, if I could. So funny and so sweet!!! Loved that post.
Maybe we got a new survivor on the ark? ;)

Congrats on your Ptera. It was a major step for me and I'm still very new to the game, too. I think you might have a chance to find the saber while flying. Hope it has enough food to survive on it's own until then. You might want to check your tribe-log to see if it's still there.

Have fun and keep it up!

Eleusius.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great posts lately, I’ve really enjoyed reading about everyone’s adventures. 

I didn’t do much today because I only had less than an hour to get something done. But, I figured some ark time is better than no ark time. 

I’m camped out in the redwoods atm on a tree platform and this morning I went hunting for a good direbear to tame for easy honey collection. I went out for a quick scouting run, got a few supply drops, killed some dinos to encourage bear spawns and cooked up some meat. 

not crazy productive, but also nothing bad happened. I consider that a win!

• Like 2

Crystal Isles, private server, four of us.

As we continue the continuing Crystal Isles saga with:

Stretch, Flont, and Goober's Guide to Stealing Crystal Wyvern Eggs!

There is a Wyvern trench in the desert area of Crystal Isles.  It is populated by Crystal Wyvern Heirs, which are more powerful (higher max level, faster, etc.) versions of the tameable Crystal Wyverns in other parts of the Crystal Isles.  The highest level that we have seen so far is 210 (compare to 150 max for regular Crystal Wyverns).  When am Heir is spawned, there is a chance that a nest with an egg will also spawn near the Wyvern trench.   These eggs can be hatched and will produce a regular Crystal Wyvern of the corresponding type but will be the smae level as the "parent" Heir (which is how we got a 210 egg).

The Heirs circle the Wyvern trench constantly (as all Wyverns tend to do) guarding the nests with eggs.  It is possible to find an egg far enough away from other Heirs to grab it and escape with no Heirs chasing for retribution, but it is very difficult to time perfectly.  Just out of sight is not good enough, it must be at a good distance also or they will come from the other side of a mesa with blood in their eyes looking for vengeance.

Heirs normally will follow me to the end of the map if I have stolen an egg, but they can be distracted.  They are not as scatter-brained as Rexes, but I have successfully "lost" them by landing near Moths or Trikes and waiting.  After they have attacked me for a while, they will start to notice the other creatures and start attacking them.  Then I fly off with my stolen egg.  This was especially useful when 5 Heirs responded to the egg calling for help.  It took three sessions of landing near other creatures to get some of them to get interested in the other creatures and then leaving for other creatures with the remaining Heirs following me until none were left.  At one point we had a huge aerial furball with three of us on Wyverns fighting 7 or 8 Heirs while trying to steal 3 eggs at once.

When you have scraped off a following Heir in such a fashion, be sure to move a good distance away before landing again or they will remember you when they get done eating their other prey and will seek you out again.

The best mount for such an egg-stealing escapade is an ordinary Crystal Wyvern, perhaps one which you have tamed by surfing it while feeding it crystal.  Regular crystal will do, it just takes a lot longer than Primal Crystal.  I "accidentally" killed an Alpha Heir (I did not check it with my spyglass first or I would have avoided it) and it gave me Primal Crystal.  I do not know if it is easier to knock out an Heir (I have not tried this method yet) or to kill an Alpha Heir, but there is more than one way to get Primal Crystal.

• Like 1

(Official, Crystal Isles) Logged on to reset the decay timer. Gave the wyverns more crystals to eat. Logged off.

(Singleplayer Crystal Isles) Installed a new mod that adds dragons. Haven't seen any yet, though. The Reclamation mod now has seahorses, so I found some and tried to tame a level 115 female. She ate one kibble bait, then swam to the shore and died. And then the game crashed.

• Sad 2

Finished putting up a wall around the base then found out it looks kinda funny and my mammoth won't fit through the gateway. Awesome!

Char started rubber banding. Friend axed me in the head, respawned, and it was fixed. This evening it happened again. Also got stuck in god mode.

On the plus side, I've been leveling up my carno and my new house looks pretty sick. 

• Like 1

Soooo, after I got home Wednesday night I went looking for my lost saber.  I spent about 2 hours looking but had no luck.  I checked my tribe log, however, I apparently forgot to click the button to officially name my tribe at the beginning so It was empty.  (It is clicked now and functioning as it should).  Anyway, I had no idea where it went or whether or not it was dead.  Over the last two days, I kept my eyes open everywhere I went.  Today, I finally got the red text saying my saber was killed by an alpha raptor.  ?

Yesterday, I flew around for the first time to check out the scenery.  I was really impressed with many of the bases.  Some people really know what they are doing.  And others... well,  I have to say that I have never liked the look of the standard behemoth gate fence in a full 360 degree circle around a square brick building.  It is boring.  But I am starting to understand why many people do it.  Privacy, protection, ease of construction... all wrapped up in one.  And, to be fair, not all people enjoy the building part of the game as much as others.  So, yeah. I get it I guess.  

Anyway, I flew up to the volcano and grabbed some crystal and obsidian and iron.  Good stuff.  Of course I can't carry much yet with my new ptera yet, but heck, I have time.  I'm not in a race and will go back again later.  On my way home I saw a 145 Therizino.  I took the payload home and gathered my supplies.  I loaded up with materials for a small taming pen and everything else I thought I would need but couldn't get the ptera off the ground. lol. So I made two trips.  1 to make the pen and then 1 more with everything else.  I checked dododex and I thought it said I would need about 50 + tranq arrows.  So searched the bushes for berries and spoiled all my meat in the fridge to scrounge together 80 arrows and an extra 80 narcotics.  Jumping ahead... I was able to kite the 145 therizino into the trap.  On the 78th arrow my crossbow broke and I was nowhere near a smithy to fix it.  Hopeless, I put out a message in the community text box for anyone that wanted it, but nobody responded.  I didn't have the energy to go back, repair gear, and gather more berries and meat by hand to make another 80 + narq arrows.   So I let it go.  Oh, well.  The struggles of being new continue, but I can shake that one off easily.

I ended up unlocking the taming pen and left a sign next to it saying anybody was welcome to use it.  It was in a good spot with lots of spawn points in the area for various critters.

I went home and took the raft north to the ice and snow.  Found a wolf fighting an argy on the beach.  The wolf was a 140 and it made short work of the argy.  So I nosed in the raft and used myself as bait.  It came running, fell into the trap and I Took it home.  I left it in the raft while I gathered my supplies and this gave it a chance to heal from the argy fight too.  Anyway, a couple hours later... I have a wolf.  Life is good again.

Today, I decided that I am tired of picking berries.  I took the raft down south and found a pair of low level trikes on the beach. Perfect.  a level 5 female, and a level 15 male.  I didn't originally want trikes but then thought I could probably use the eggs too.  So I stood on my shooting platform on the raft. Shot the female and  she came running.  But she was mated to the male and he came too.  Then out of the trees, a third trike came running.  Must have been an interesting 3-way love triangle.  The last one was a level 65 male.  Somehow, they all fit into the little 3x2 taming area on the raft.  Like fish in a barrel.  20 arrows later they were all knocked out.  When they woke up I had to bust out some walls to get them off the raft. lol.  At my home beach I saw another level 5 female trike that must have spawned while I was gone.  I tamed her up too. So now I have 4 trikes.  haha.

This is getting long, sorry. I will end it there for now.  Later.

• Like 3

Well, I was gone from this thread again, but I'm back. You can't get rid of me that easily! I mean, no one was trying to, but STILL. Anyway, I've got news. I bred and imprinted a baby megatheirium. It got mom's damage and dad's health. Perfect. The health, despite being "better" is still a bit trash, but the melee is good. After full imprint, it reached close to 6k health, and had somwhere over 400% melee. Not great, but not terrible.

My base might be on a fairly tiny area of land (a cliff in the Southern Isles, which fun fact, Nooblets specifically said was a bad base location),  but it's actually a great place to level up dinos. The easiest cave is practically in my backyard, meaning I can level up things with little risk of them dying. I got a few levels (like most of my good, non-breeding dinos I'm going with one health and one melee every two levels) and went to the swamp cave. I used the SCUBA/ghillie combo, since gas masks are pretty expensive, and spamming med brews the whole way doesn't seem appealing.

I had a hard enough time finding the cave (smack in the the middle of thyla country too, not fun) and was scared I would die. I left a bunch of stuff in a nearby chest, including my cryoed argent. My fear quickly disappeared, as I absolutely shredded everything. I wasn't very lucky with loot, I only got (not counting stuff I just threw on the ground) an apprentice baryonyx saddle (my baryonyx might have helped me tame a basi, but on land he's helpless, with really low health, so while that might make him a bit better, he's never going to be a great dino) and an apprentice shotgun (I already have a good BP for a pump, which I need to make soon and even if I didn't, a primitive pump is still more useful, normal shotguns can't hit things at any kind of range), but I got the artifact.

I also got ungodly amounts of chitin, all of which was tossed, lots of leech blood, and some silica pearls. My sloth left with nearly 15k health (potential health, he didn't have time to heal up to that), and hitting bugs for over eight hundred damage while buffed. Right-clicking while buffed does over a thousand. Absolutely great, for such a...rough start, but breeding each baby, imprinting, and leveling will get pretty tedious. The others also won't have the benefit of notes and cave respawns can take a while.

Any tricks or tips for leveling up boss fighters quick? I suppose I could have the whole herd follow me around the map while I have them kill everything we see, but that seems less efficient. If that cave is generous enough to give me a good saddle BP, I might not need to level as much. I also think I'll make sure to try a newly bred sloth each time I run it, to give myself more incentive to breed and level up new ones. Anyway, I'll stop going on about stuff I have yet to do. I'm just really glad about how today turned out.

Edited by DodoRaptor
  • Like 2

Hey guys,

I was just fooling around, trying to find out how to grab a creature with my Argy to carry it over to my taming pen. So I was taking out the "air-force" (Argy + 2 Ptera + Petunia... well, technically speaking, Petunia is a Ptera, too, but she's more like a taming-accident. Another day I was flying around grinding mostly iron ore (metal) and I checked out the Ptera around me, though in my area there's only low-levels... most of the time. And with this one I had very bad view through my spyglasses and I thought wow... this is level 200 something, I've got to have it. So I followed it until it landed, bola'd it, tranq'ed it and put some meat in it's inventory. Then I checked the level and poof... it was only 20, not 200. So that's Petunia. Kept her around since and let her come on my air-force-expeditions, but never did anything with her, really.)

Well, I've failed to grab any creature. For all I know, right mouse-button should do the trick, right? Didn't work. And no, I didn't try to carry a Bronto. So still have to practice with that. Well, I got around some and eventually checked out some of the swamp-area. Felt like the master of the skies since whenever I felt like some raptor was being unjustly rude to it's surroundings (which they almost always are), I just killed it with no effort. Once a Therezino accidentally aggroed on the team. Bad idea. Went down in no time, even though it was a level 100. Sad, though. Therezinos are so cool and I'd rather have tamed it, but it was too far from my pen anyways. Only poor Petunia took a bit more than she could and stayed on the battlefield right there. Probably took only two hits to down her. Just a little later I was suddenly bumped off my flyer. WHAT? What on earth just happened? It wasn't one of my ... pressing the wrong keys. I've become a little better with that and it definitely wasn't the case this time. Well... unfortunately the answer was already upon me. It was a Kapro, who's kind of mental-kicked me off my mount. I only knew Baryos were able to do that. I had little armor and unfortunately had fallen so bad that I had glitched into the Kapro. My Plan was run away and allow the airforce enough time to deal with this nuisance. It hopefully wouldn't take too long. But as I said I had glitched into the Kapro and all my effort to run away was rendered impossible. Took only seconds until I was torn to pieces. So much for ruling the sky. Now my air-force was out in the swamps and I had to respawn at base. Not my favorite situation, but for hell, my full equipment was with the air-force. First I attempted to run up naked to the place of the last battle to reunite with my air-force. A Squad of Titanomyrna put an unfamous end to that. Next I took an Iguanodon hoping it's speed would provide enough safety. Well... it did. I got to the place of the last battle, happily finding my air-force fully intact, whistled them over and was promptly killed by the next Kapro. ENOUGH!!! I was angry. Next step I crafted a Therezino-saddle and took out the soldiers. I would put an end to this now and forever. (The soldiers are a Carno, a Tek-Raptor and two Therezinos) Took a little longer to find and reach the battle-site, but was tearing everything to pieces on my way there. When I got to the battle site, everyone was alive and well (air-force and Igua) and there was quite a graveyard around them. I killed off a few nuisances around the area and finally collected my stuff. Then I took the whole group back to base. Phew. Everyone's home? Counting... Air-Force complete? Check. Igua... present. Soldiers... 1, 2,... whoops... the lesser Therezino was missing from the bunch. So another rescue-mission. Gave me a hard time, really. Was stuck somewhere in the jungle around the swamp between a rock and two trees. Took hours until I found it. Well, once found I just took it home and called it a day. I was tired and exhausted. Had some cooking to do (prime-meat... yeah!) and store away all the other stuff I had gathered.

Talking about gathering... those Therezinos are incredibly awesome at gathering, too. Didn't know that. Got so many rare flowers with ease. Really incredible. So glad I found out. So, my right mouse-button was working. Another thing I had been worried about when trying to harness the powers of my Argy.

That's it for today. It's amazing how stressed out you can be from playing a video-game. This episode really took some toll on me.

Ok - enjoy the rest of your sundays everyone. I need a break from the island.

Eleusius.

Edited by Eleusius
  • Like 2