So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

11 hours ago, Shieara said:

Hi Everyone!

I'm a relatively new ARK player that is still hanging around The Island on single player. Today I decided to check out Ragnarok and see if I could find a high level male rex to tame so that I can start breeding for bosses. I've not been having much luck finding one on the island, and even though I am trying to do the story maps in order I'm starting to get a little frustrated.  Instead of a rex I came back with two allosaurus so I guess that was kind of a fail, but I have no regrets. I'm still thinking of names for them.

Tomorrow I will probably focus on breeding a few more megatherium. I'm close to having the nineteen I need for the broodmother fight, although only four of them have enough levels for me to feel comfortable. I may go ahead and move them to the obelisk to clear up some space at my base.

I'm in a similar position, except I don't use the same character on Ragnarok and the other non-canon ARKs, and since I'm doing the maps in order, I have to rely on The Island. I'm a bit behind you though, I have an amazing female rex for breeding, but only one megatheirium, who despite being 150, turned out with pretty awful health. I really want to beat those bosses. I've just been looking for a good male (120-150) who I can try to breed with her, and get two babies with better health, and then breed those two...

And when I beat it on gamma my grand prizes for all that work will be some pretty useless tekgrams (not counting the replicator), ten element I can't use yet, a flag, and a trophy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shieara said:

Hi Everyone!

I'm a relatively new ARK player that is still hanging around The Island on single player. Today I decided to check out Ragnarok and see if I could find a high level male rex to tame so that I can start breeding for bosses. I've not been having much luck finding one on the island, and even though I am trying to do the story maps in order I'm starting to get a little frustrated.  Instead of a rex I came back with two allosaurus so I guess that was kind of a fail, but I have no regrets. I'm still thinking of names for them.

Tomorrow I will probably focus on breeding a few more megatherium. I'm close to having the nineteen I need for the broodmother fight, although only four of them have enough levels for me to feel comfortable. I may go ahead and move them to the obelisk to clear up some space at my base.

Hello.

Ragnarok has a ton of high level spawns for dinos. The center also has a large Rex spawn area at the Lava Island by Red Obelisk. Spawns in general are super long on single player to refresh because it shuts down when you log off as online the server is always going. I recommend either respawn all dinos through a command key or a PvE official server. People there are super friendly and love to help new players get a hang of it all. Its tough to find a spot to build as everyone puts pillars down to hold areas around they're base but when you find a spot it will all fell way more alive. 

12 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

I'm in a similar position, except I don't use the same character on Ragnarok and the other non-canon ARKs, and since I'm doing the maps in order, I have to rely on The Island. I'm a bit behind you though, I have an amazing female rex for breeding, but only one megatheirium, who despite being 150, turned out with pretty awful health. I really want to beat those bosses. I've just been looking for a good male (120-150) who I can try to breed with her, and get two babies with better health, and then breed those two...

And when I beat it on gamma my grand prizes for all that work will be some pretty useless tekgrams (not counting the replicator), ten element I can't use yet, a flag, and a trophy.

Yeah looks like we are about at the same spot.

I never did find two max level megatheriums, so I settled for a couple of 120's with okayish stats. I'm hoping if I imprint, level up the babies, and have decent saddles I will still be able to beat gamma. I will know soon because I got super lucky with twins this time around and now have twenty! I still lots to do, but I am getting way closer. I really want a better saddle pattern. I'm farming the swamp cave and the western underwater cave religiously but haven't had any luck so far.

The only other exciting thing that happened today was all my dodos getting out of their pen. I have no idea how they escaped, but they were running all over the place and I had a heck of a time catching them all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Didn't do anything on servers today.

In singleplayer tried to get a few dermises for my six medium taxidermy bases (unfortunately, out of what I got only the direwolf fits nicely, without clipping through the wall. Argy clips badly no matter the pose, and the horses from mod are too big, might try normal equus instead), visited the dragon again, fed him and flied around a bit, testing out speed and power. Not VERY overpowered after all - 3 bites for a 120 argy, that's not too much, I think I'll take him to my base at about level 40. Added more luma trees to the garden and more fir trees and redwood ferns to the outer part. Took direwolves for a hunt, really gotta make a whip, the two lazy ones are really bad at the whole "staying awake and following me" thing. That's the only downside to the ARK: Transcendence mod.

• Like 1

Hey all!

I’m finally at the point where I can install electrical cables around the base and I have enough gasoline to power everything.  I figured I’d better get a grid first, THEN go look for honey ‘cause it spoils so fast. I’m a few checklist items away , but I’m starting preparations for the broodmother. Can’t decide if I want to go with rex’s or not. I’m hoping to only need one core team to do all the bosses and eventually overseer, which is why I’m thinking rex’s. Lemme know what you guys think. 

other than that, I got myself my third otter (RIP, “Otter” and “Deadpool”) cause they keep dying in caves ?

next up for me when I log in next is finishing my electrical grid so I can get my fridge working, then go tame a queen bee. Can’t wait for the adventure that’s gonna be. 

• Like 3

On 8/18/2020 at 9:24 PM, Shieara said:

Yeah looks like we are about at the same spot.

I never did find two max level megatheriums, so I settled for a couple of 120's with okayish stats. I'm hoping if I imprint, level up the babies, and have decent saddles I will still be able to beat gamma. I will know soon because I got super lucky with twins this time around and now have twenty! I still lots to do, but I am getting way closer. I really want a better saddle pattern. I'm farming the swamp cave and the western underwater cave religiously but haven't had any luck so far.

The only other exciting thing that happened today was all my dodos getting out of their pen. I have no idea how they escaped, but they were running all over the place and I had a heck of a time catching them all.

If you have a team of megatheriums, even with primitive saddles, you should be able to slice and dice your way through the gamma broodmother very easily. Just be sure to level them up a bit first. Ride a yuty and keep them boosted. You will be good. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cordiste said:

Hey all!

I’m a few checklist items away , but I’m starting preparations for the broodmother. Can’t decide if I want to go with rex’s or not. I’m hoping to only need one core team to do all the bosses and eventually overseer, which is why I’m thinking rex’s. Lemme know what you guys think. 

Rex's are great for the big monkey boss, pretty good for the spider, but not good for the dragon. I think it is very difficult to do all bosses with one group. But if I had to pick one, I would go with Therizinos I think.

1 hour ago, Penguin73 said:

Rex's are great for the big monkey boss, pretty good for the spider, but not good for the dragon. I think it is very difficult to do all bosses with one group. But if I had to pick one, I would go with Therizinos I think.

That is not a dino would’ve thought I would get as a suggestion. Interesting. Aren’t they a pain to tame? I remember getting my first one and being like... never again. 

hope you enjoyed your hiking ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cordiste said:

That is not a dino would’ve thought I would get as a suggestion. Interesting. Aren’t they a pain to tame? I remember getting my first one and being like... never again. 

hope you enjoyed your hiking ?

All herbivores are resistant to dragon breath, theris are only a bit weaker than rexes for the other two and much tougher for the dragon. Plus they can heal with veggie cakes. 

13 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

What do they look like? I tamed a 150 that looked like a husky, so I named him that. Husky the dire wolf. 

I have 6 ! They are kind of all colours, white, brown, grey-ish. I have mostly named them with a Moon theme but quickly ran out of ideas ? I like Husky though !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

If you have a team of megatheriums, even with primitive saddles, you should be able to slice and dice your way through the gamma broodmother very easily. Just be sure to level them up a bit first. Ride a yuty and keep them boosted. You will be good. 

Glad to hear it is doable. I have a Yuty that I bred and imprinted, although her parents weren't max level. I've been taking her out on meat runs and I think I have her up around 30k hp now so she should be pretty good.

I've been levelling my megatheriums in the swamp cave. They're ending up with about 20k hp and 1k damage, so hopefully that will be enough. My saddle is a ramshackle one.

And speaking of megatheriums, I bred the last one so now that part is done. Now I just need to get their saddles made up and level them. Plus I need to check the artifacts I have. I think I have a full set, but I know I will want to do multiple runs for some element. Not looking forward to the lava cave again.

I also got a good rex saddle blueprint last night in the underwater cave so once I find a good male I am all set there. I'll probably head out to carno island and see if what I can find.

• Like 1

Logged onto Valguero, realized that the giga hatched and died without me, shrugged, took Elisabeth to a hunt. Went to check for any rock elems for me to kill, there were two, both much higher level than I'd prefer (85 and 95), but I decided to give it a try. Lured the 85 one away, and... It wasn't actually much harder than killing a level 15 one! Sure, Elisabeth  lost a bit more health than usual, but still not much. I attacked a level 95, and it was just as easy. Then I killed some dinos for meat and went back to the base. Filled the carnivore/mixed troughs, took Snow on an in-base berry run to gather food for the herbivores, put that in the troughs too, placed the resources into the appropriate boxes.

And then I saw an allo. I don't know what level it was, but it was mint-green with white belly and I wanted to tame it. So I decided to build a new trap, as I've taken down the old one when expanding the base. I made the new one from metal, just because. And, remembering the few times when I found sleeping humans in my trap, the new one has an unlocked door and a sign on the inside, saying "This is a dino trap. If you're human - the exit's here", with an arrow pointing to the door.

Of course, while I was doing all that the allo either ran away or got itself killed. But at least now I have a place to lure whatever other nice dinos I see near my base.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

Today I backed up my CI singleplayer save and tried out the Crystal Isles dino additions mod. Having magmasaurs on the map is kinda cool, I can admit that, but pegasi are meh and ember yuties also aren't great (just imagining riding one makes my eyes ache). Unsubscribed from the mod, replaced the save with pre-mod version, I think I'll try ARK: Reclamation instead - that looks promising, at least not as eye-burning and without silly dinos like those witch hat ones or the gun penguins I saw in other mods.

Reclamation is better indeed, I'm keeping it! Resource snails, or "Slags", as they're called in the mod, are nicely colored, fish-otters with long names that I can't quite remember are really well-made and cute, I'm definitely getting a few for the garden half of my lake. Shieldhorns are, well, shieldhorns, I assume they're just like in ATLAS (which I'm only familiar with from other mods that import its creatures to ARK, as well as a few articles from its wiki), and I've only seen other creatures on screenshots, but everything seems really nice and only moderately bright, fitting into the world.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

Okay, BIG update. So there I was, considering dinowiping to try to get good rexes/megatheirium to spawn. I wanted to get back to base first though. And I as I was heading home, I saw a pair of therizinos. An 85. Meh. I checked the second. IT WAS 150!

I went home, praying it wouldn't despawn, and scraped together 8 exceptional kibble, with the help of my industrial cooker, plus I grabbed a pre-made piece of extraordinary I had cooked a while back. Note to self: start a yuty kibble farm soon. I checked Dododex, and since I have 4x taming, I saw that that wouldn be just barely less than enough, so I brought mejos to top it off. I upgraded an old raft taming pen of mine, and drove it over.

I trapped both, but managed to kill the 85. Knocked the 150 out, spent a while taming it (I feel so bad for anyone on official, that must take forever), and brought it home.

Here's the stat report: good melee, average/somewhat bad health. He's male, so I need a good health female. She won't need better melee, but I'm not complaining if she does. So now I have an all-around great female rex (pretty shade of green too), a good melee, bad health female sloth, and a good melee, and bad health male therizino.

So one breeder for each boss island boss (not counting overseer). So glad I waited on the dinowipe (although I might do it tomorrow). If you read all this, thanks for taking the time to. 

• Like 2

Epic fail and a good finish... Sorry about the length.

So today was the TEK cave.  I had never done it before and thought I would start on Gamma.  Playing solo.  I new from watching videos that the hardest part would be keeping everything together and under control.  Also, with all the different server settings it is hard to fully understand what it will take to run the cave and defeat the overseer.  Some do it with super duper inflated rexes and I can't gage how my team will do by watching a mega rex slice through other rexes like a hot knife through butter.  Anyway, the point I am getting at is I might have overprepared or at least planned on taking too much.... just in case.

So I had the whole team lined up outside the door.  I had a team of 4 allos, 1 Yuty, 14 rexes, 6 therizinos, and a bird on my shoulder.  I had them in groups of 5 to 6 dinos each.  Each group had a leader and the rest were set to follow one behind the other.  I think I had it so I would have to make 5 trips through the door by grabbing a leader and walking them in carefully, then running out for the next leader. 5 minutes to take in 5 groups.  I was confident.  I was originally planning on using cryo pods for half the team, but when the game wouldn't let me unpod them just outside the door I figured I couldn't do it inside either, so everyone had their ticket and stood in line.  

I open the door and took in the yuty and allos first.  I was going to use the allos and a single TEK rex as the wrecking crew in the cave and therefore (in theory) save the other rexes and therizinos for the overseer.  First group went in nice.  I took them in far enough to have enough space for all dinos behind them but not too far that I would aggro the cave creatures that were just on the edge of my view.  I grabbed the second team, 6 rexes, and took them in along side the first.  All good.  I grabbed the next group of 6 rexes and put them along the wall behind the first group.  Oh, Noooo!  Only 3 of the 6 came through the door. 

I ran back out of the cave to see two of my rexes in the lava and 1 stuck on the rocks.  I got the one off the rocks and shoved him inside the cave.  I had to redirect the other two and bring them to an area where they could get out.  That was my mistake.  I should have never messed with them and just written them off.  When the first one finally got out, I mounted the saddle through the flames and ran for the door... But it closed just before I got there. It is amazing how fast one can go through emotions of denial and disbelief.  Then I sat the screen fill with red lines as all my dinos inside were pronounced dead.  Shock! Agony! Anger! Embarrassment! I touched on them all. AND Frustration at all the lost time and effort for for breeding, training, and gathering resources for saddles.  But I'm sure many of you know the pain.

I was left standing with my two rexes (now at half health but no longer on fire) and 6 therizinos that were standing halfway down the stone walkway I built across the lava.  I walked past them all and climbed on my argy that was at the far end of the crater.  I flew around in circles for a bit, then decided that today is still my day to finish this dang map.  So I grabbed all my cryo pods and flew down to collect the rest of my therizino dragon army.  I also grabbed two rexes that were back at base.  This time there was no allos, and no yuty... just 4 rexes and 19 therizinos.

I lined them up and open the door.  Luckily there was no drama getting in this time.  I hopped on the healthiest rex and went to work.  I would clear a section and go back to carefully train the others down behind me.  It was working great until about half way through the cave something spooked one of the therizinos and it took off running.  It went over a cliff and six others followed.  Now I was down to 4 rexes and 12 therizinos.  Well, at least now I don't have to decide which 20 get to advance to the overseer.  (I laughed but it still hurt).  The giga at the bottom did not jump into the lava as I hoped so the team fought it.  More dinos to heal.  Yeah!

Teleported up to the observation deck and did the typical look around for awhile to give the team a chance to heal a bit.  Went into the final fight, not 100 percent healthy but close.  I directed the team to attack the overseer, and I ran around fighting the defense droids.  A few times I looked up and just admired the fight they were giving the overseer.  And it finished a little better than I expected.  No other dinos died in that last fight.  I was very proud.  Watched the cut-scene.  Smiled.  Good night.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Penguin73 said:

Epic fail and a good finish... Sorry about the length.

So today was the TEK cave.  I had never done it before and thought I would start on Gamma.  Playing solo.  I new from watching videos that the hardest part would be keeping everything together and under control.  Also, with all the different server settings it is hard to fully understand what it will take to run the cave and defeat the overseer.  Some do it with super duper inflated rexes and I can't gage how my team will do by watching a mega rex slice through other rexes like a hot knife through butter.  Anyway, the point I am getting at is I might have overprepared or at least planned on taking too much.... just in case.

So I had the whole team lined up outside the door.  I had a team of 4 allos, 1 Yuty, 14 rexes, 6 therizinos, and a bird on my shoulder.  I had them in groups of 5 to 6 dinos each.  Each group had a leader and the rest were set to follow one behind the other.  I think I had it so I would have to make 5 trips through the door by grabbing a leader and walking them in carefully, then running out for the next leader. 5 minutes to take in 5 groups.  I was confident.  I was originally planning on using cryo pods for half the team, but when the game wouldn't let me unpod them just outside the door I figured I couldn't do it inside either, so everyone had their ticket and stood in line.  

I open the door and took in the yuty and allos first.  I was going to use the allos and a single TEK rex as the wrecking crew in the cave and therefore (in theory) save the other rexes and therizinos for the overseer.  First group went in nice.  I took them in far enough to have enough space for all dinos behind them but not too far that I would aggro the cave creatures that were just on the edge of my view.  I grabbed the second team, 6 rexes, and took them in along side the first.  All good.  I grabbed the next group of 6 rexes and put them along the wall behind the first group.  Oh, Noooo!  Only 3 of the 6 came through the door. 

I ran back out of the cave to see two of my rexes in the lava and 1 stuck on the rocks.  I got the one off the rocks and shoved him inside the cave.  I had to redirect the other two and bring them to an area where they could get out.  That was my mistake.  I should have never messed with them and just written them off.  When the first one finally got out, I mounted the saddle through the flames and ran for the door... But it closed just before I got there. It is amazing how fast one can go through emotions of denial and disbelief.  Then I sat the screen fill with red lines as all my dinos inside were pronounced dead.  Shock! Agony! Anger! Embarrassment! I touched on them all. AND Frustration at all the lost time and effort for for breeding, training, and gathering resources for saddles.  But I'm sure many of you know the pain.

I was left standing with my two rexes (now at half health but no longer on fire) and 6 therizinos that were standing halfway down the stone walkway I built across the lava.  I walked past them all and climbed on my argy that was at the far end of the crater.  I flew around in circles for a bit, then decided that today is still my day to finish this dang map.  So I grabbed all my cryo pods and flew down to collect the rest of my therizino dragon army.  I also grabbed two rexes that were back at base.  This time there was no allos, and no yuty... just 4 rexes and 19 therizinos.

I lined them up and open the door.  Luckily there was no drama getting in this time.  I hopped on the healthiest rex and went to work.  I would clear a section and go back to carefully train the others down behind me.  It was working great until about half way through the cave something spooked one of the therizinos and it took off running.  It went over a cliff and six others followed.  Now I was down to 4 rexes and 12 therizinos.  Well, at least now I don't have to decide which 20 get to advance to the overseer.  (I laughed but it still hurt).  The giga at the bottom did not jump into the lava as I hoped so the team fought it.  More dinos to heal.  Yeah!

Teleported up to the observation deck and did the typical look around for awhile to give the team a chance to heal a bit.  Went into the final fight, not 100 percent healthy but close.  I directed the team to attack the overseer, and I ran around fighting the defense droids.  A few times I looked up and just admired the fight they were giving the overseer.  And it finished a little better than I expected.  No other dinos died in that last fight.  I was very proud.  Watched the cut-scene.  Smiled.  Good night.

No problem with the length. I'll have to do that cave someday, and the more details, the better. Glad you won in the end. 

Edited by DodoRaptor
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DodoRaptor said:

No problem with the length. I'll have to do that cave someday, and the more details, the better. Glad you won in the end. 

Thanks. That is the concept I choose to hold onto... I won in the end. It was not pretty but I think I learned a lot this way. Therizinos are sooo much easier to get through the gate AND much easier to navigate all the twists and turns of the cave. Don't get me wrong, having a good Rex is always good, especially one that can stay up front and tank anything the cave wants to throw your way. But there simply is not enough room in there to fight with a herd. I had 4 rexes with me but I don't think I used more than two at any one time until I fought the giga. 

If I had to give advice on that cave, with my limited experience, I would say to keep it simple.... don't expect to use your whole army to fight through the cave...only use a couple good Dino's to clear the path. The hardest part for me was just keeping everyone on the path. The fighting was easy, the walking was hard. I can see why people prefer to do that cave with friends. Micromanaging an army is difficult alone. Luckily there is no 1 hour time limit on single player. Because I never would have made it. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Penguin73 said:

Thanks. That is the concept I choose to hold onto... I won in the end. It was not pretty but I think I learned a lot this way. Therizinos are sooo much easier to get through the gate AND much easier to navigate all the twists and turns of the cave. Don't get me wrong, having a good Rex is always good, especially one that can stay up front and tank anything the cave wants to throw your way. But there simply is not enough room in there to fight with a herd. I had 4 rexes with me but I don't think I used more than two at any one time until I fought the giga. 

If I had to give advice on that cave, with my limited experience, I would say to keep it simple.... don't expect to use your whole army to fight through the cave...only use a couple good Dino's to clear the path. The hardest part for me was just keeping everyone on the path. The fighting was easy, the walking was hard. I can see why people prefer to do that cave with friends. Micromanaging an army is difficult alone. Luckily there is no 1 hour time limit on single player. Because I never would have made it. ?

An idea I had was to ride a tek saddled rex, with two allos running alongside, and just clear the way like that. My main hypothetical army would be fifteen theris and two mate-boosted yuties. Would that work? It won't come into play for a while anyhow, I still haven't fought a single boss. 

17 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

An idea I had was to ride a tek saddled rex, with two allos running alongside, and just clear the way like that. My main hypothetical army would be fifteen theris and two mate-boosted yuties. Would that work? It won't come into play for a while anyhow, I still haven't fought a single boss. 

The nice thing about this game is there is often more than 1 correct answer. So, yes, I think it sounds like a solid plan. I'm not speaking from much experience, but I don't see any faults with that combo. But heck, you may end up two of the worlds best yutys and decide to make 20 of them. Lol, you wouldn't be able to sneak up on anyone, but it might work great. 

• Like 2