So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

59 minutes ago, Eleusius said:

@Penguin73 Thanks for bothering. I know why it happens - I set some of them to flee, because I want them to stay out of a fight. However if they just "vanish", it's no use to set them to flee. Same problem with wandering. If you don't keep an eye on a wandering dino (or have them wandering only in a fenced area), they will wander off and never be seen again. However, all this is not true with the trike I lost during my last episode. I suppose he just got stuck on something during the last expedition I did with him. This theme, however, happened quite often when I went out with an expedition party and when I turn around half of them guys is missing. Then I scout back and collect whatever I can find of the team.

Yesterdays report is late, because the servers were down. Well, let me start with a question. All of you guys seem sort of advanced, while I'm like the new kid on the block telling you tales which you probably already know. So - do you actually want to read this?

Ok. now what happened last? I found a relatively high-level trike (for my standards at least) and decided I'd take that instead of my lost one. Well - I should have planned that one better. The taming attempt was so badly set up that I failed miserably, fleeing back into my base where the trike was immediately slaughtered (I couldn't close the gates in time) and caused so much havoc that I spent about half an hour sorting things out afterwards. During that sorting I did make another tour around the base to pick up the scattered dodos and other dinos and to my very very surprise I found my old and beloved trike sitting just two stories below my base. Now, don't tell me he's always been there. I've made that round a dozen times before and he never was there. Just for some unknown reason the game had decided to spawn him in at that place again. So despite failing to get a better trike, I got what I wanted and I'm happy.

Other than that, I harvested some resources (still have to do most by hand except berries). Nothing spectecular (well, I had had my spectaculum with the failed taming).

I really need to learn to kite those dinos into the pen before messing with them.

Anyways... heads up guys. Have fun.
Eleusius.

Just some advice: never use flee. I did too when I was new, but they run so far away, it's too easy to lose them. Just mix passive and neutral. Glad you found your trike.

• Thanks 1

Not much, looked around the island for loot and high-level creatures. That 150 megatheirium was such a disappointment. A good male rex would help too. I found a blueprint for an apprentice pump (or as Syntac calls it, the baby unmaker), a pre-made ramshackle longneck, and ramshackle flak leggings, which if you remember my cave run you know I already had some, BUT, since then I found more protective journeyman chitin, however these are better than either. The fourth pair of leggings I've worn in a short time. Also a few saddles and saddle BPs, and a ramshackle fabricated pistol. I'm thinking about making a scrap metal farm due to my constant metal shortage. I also tamed a 130 sabertooth, just because. And found a giga, titan, and quetzal all in the same area. All that's missing is a unicorn. Also, question. Could Strawberry, who has about 5,500 health and 313% damage handle upper south if I get him by the chokepoint in a cryopod? Thanks. IDK if I'll even play ARK tomorrow, right now I feel like playing a different game.

Today has started out quite exciting.

I started out on a normal farming expedition, taking all my trikes as mules and bodyguards with me. Them's five in total, me riding an Iguanodon. I've found they have pretty nice speed and don't use any stamina on normal movement. I also took along my little raptor to have it gain some experience. I tamed him almost accidently on a prior expedition and he's really low level and almost useless. I took him in anyways, because the poor thing was so miserable out in the wilds I couldn't just leave him out there.

So our little party started out. It's always a big deal guiding all of them through my dino-gates, so I started that process at night to be ready at day break. We ventured out some, but not very far, had some minor harvests in, but no big numbers (going for stone and wood mostly, with some berries on the side for all my herbies). When we went down a slope, all of a sudden there was a 66 alpha-raptor. I was shocked. The gang took on the fight immediately and I tried to keep out as good as I could (not very good unfortunately). First victim was little Rapsi (the poor little raptor I was talking about). Next victim was me. The confusion was so big I just couldn't figure where to run to use ranged weapons. Couldn't take much of the alpha. So I missed the rest of the fight. When I respawned I first had a look at the tribe-manager to see how many of my guys had fallen and maybe they had overcome the alpha or not. I've had some sad experience with a lower level alpha (think it was around 20+x) a little while ago, which didn't leave much chance to fight. Those guys are so awfully fast.

Well, the tribe-manager didn't show anything beyond my own and poor rapsis demise. So I went forth to the battle site and despite the manager hadn't shown any more casualties I was still very surprised that the whole gang (again apart from poor little rapsi) had survived the chaos. Wow. That was far better than expected. That Alpha finally gave me more than 20 pieces of prime meat, which was amazing. I never got more than one or two before this. So I took apart all the dead bodies (the Alpha, poor Rapsi and a dillo, that somehow got mixed up in the chaos, too) and hurried home to cook all the prime meat. When that was done, a chalicotherium somehow penetrated the barricades of my base and the next fight broke loose. I was pretty unsure what to expect. I've read that those guys have some serious fighting power, but it was up against everything I had, including my four Stegos that keep guard (but I don't take them out usually, because they're too slow). I was just worried that some of my more cherished dinos - mostly my unicorn - could be killed in the fight. Again, the fight was total chaos and I couldn't do much but wait for the result. The chalico had itself trapped between some stones and my guys eagerly pressed against the only opening. Soon everything calmed down. Upon checking, I first found my unicorn and Iguanodon had both survived the fight. Great. Could have been worse ;)

A closer examination revealed, that again none of my guys had been seriously injured. So I started the cleanup... put every dino back in it's original place and gathered those, that had fled the base (I still have my mules (=Parasaurs) set to flee. Need to change that.). While picking up the lost ones I actually came across a beautiful Tek-Para that I decided to take along for the fun of it. I also took all my Dodos into a breeding shack, that from now on will be my Dodo-Shack. Keeping them outside just isn't practical and the breeding shack doesn't work anyway (it's too hot and until now I can't cool it down). Doing the rounds, I came along my Ptera and checked on it's condition. It, too, had been part of the Chalico-fight. I was shocked to see that it had no food left in it's inventory, no food left in it's food-bar and very very little health. I started dumping meat on him and it soon revitalized - albeit it had a truly amazing appetite for it's size. I estimate it took more than an entire pile of raw meat to get it back to normal conditions. Yes, despite all the events above, meat is still a more or less scarce resource. I have to admit, though, that I mostly don't kill other dinos without reason, and if I do, I harvest them for hide rather than meat. That hadn't bothered me much, because the two dillos I keep as pets don't eat much (near nothing) and the Ptera is my first true meat-consumer. So I need to keep an eye on my meat-stocks in the future.

So... a lot of chaos and some serious fighting with surprisingly good results. Maybe with the new resources I can fix that dinos still can leave (or enter) base without my knowing. Other than that, I'm quite happy to see that my herbies can take care of themselves (which so far I cannot quite say of my own self).

Have fun guys ;)

Eleusius.

• Like 2

Bred my tek rexes with the new male, so today is the egg-hatching day.

Also a giga-raising day, I'm planning to raise him at least to his first imprint (which is in a bit over 2 hours). The giga is still the same right-colors-and-gender-wrong-melee one, as the newest egg hasn't hatched yet (plus, there's no guarantee that it'll hatch completely right).

Giga raising progresses well, he can already hold 19.4 weight, which is used for a stack and a half of kibble, some meat, and a stack of preserving salt. Still not imprinted, because soon after initially making this post I realized that if I don't take a nap, I'll take it anyway, but on the keyboard and with everything left to hatch/starve on its own, so I picked up rex eggs and froze the giga.

First imprint done, lot more to go. Tek rex eggs hatched, one got a mutation on stamina (don't need that, it's okay as it is), the rest didn't get anything new. Killed all, the new shotgun really does work amazing, 1-2 shots instead of 3-4 I had to do with my old one.

Visited the loot cave, got an mastercraft ichthy saddle (ground for resources) and a mastercraft 60-something dunkle saddle BP (kept for now, maybe I'll try to trade it for something once I run out of space in the saddle/weapon/BP box).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

Mostly played a different game, but I did head back home to put away my looted stuff. Also went back to CI, and transferred from there to Ragnarok, where I'm getting back on my feet. Crystal wyverns on Ragnarok are great. Tomorrow I want to get a thylacoleo, but I'll need mutton first. Ovis aren't hard to find on Rag, but I don't have a grill or fabricator there, which makes it a bit tough to get mutton cooked up. Unlike the last time I went to the non-stories, it wasn't in disappointment, I just need a break for now. Also, last time I asked I didn't get an answer, will Strawberry (thyla) with his 5,000 health, and 313% damage, be able to handle the upper south cave? I'm no stranger to caving, I've done four, and I can use a cryopod for the chokepoint.

Fed the dinos, made several stacks of narcotic, checked on giga eggs (won't have to bother about the older one until evening), made some polymer, built the walls surrounding elevator some more (will have to do a crystal run to continue), checked on the loot cave (another mastercraft dunkle saddle BP, 66 this time), made a small box for good BPs that I'm not gonna use because dumping both useful to me and only good for trading things into same box means running out of space really quickly.

3 hours ago, DodoRaptor said:

Mostly played a different game, but I did head back home to put away my looted stuff. Also went back to CI, and transferred from there to Ragnarok, where I'm getting back on my feet. Crystal wyverns on Ragnarok are great. Tomorrow I want to get a thylacoleo, but I'll need mutton first. Ovis aren't hard to find on Rag, but I don't have a grill or fabricator there, which makes it a bit tough to get mutton cooked up. Unlike the last time I went to the non-stories, it wasn't in disappointment, I just need a break for now. Also, last time I asked I didn't get an answer, will Strawberry (thyla) with his 5,000 health, and 313% damage, be able to handle the upper south cave? I'm no stranger to caving, I've done four, and I can use a cryopod for the chokepoint.

I will say a Baryonyx is the best all around choice for that cave.  I did not have a good one and used a dire wolf instead (I eventually returned later with a Bary so I could do the whole cave).  But like me and my wolf, you will only be able to do half the cave with your thyla.  You can still reach the artifact via a shortcut but you won't be able to do the underwater sections.  Your thyla will be fine to get you down to the ruins near the water if you don't go too gung ho and take on the whole cave at once.  Just take it slow and heal when you can.  But I would not ever attempt to take it into the water to do the lower portion in the water tunnels.  There are plenty of videos out there that will help you find the short cut by grappling across the water.  Take extra grapples and be prepared to fight the bats solo (on foot) at the other end (the short section leading to the artifact).  I died twice in there.  Good luck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Penguin73 said:

I will say a Baryonyx is the best all around choice for that cave.  I did not have a good one and used a dire wolf instead (I eventually returned later with a Bary so I could do the whole cave).  But like me and my wolf, you will only be able to do half the cave with your thyla.  You can still reach the artifact via a shortcut but you won't be able to do the underwater sections.  Your thyla will be fine to get you down to the ruins near the water if you don't go too gung ho and take on the whole cave at once.  Just take it slow and heal when you can.  But I would not ever attempt to take it into the water to do the lower portion in the water tunnels.  There are plenty of videos out there that will help you find the short cut by grappling across the water.  Take extra grapples and be prepared to fight the bats solo (on foot) at the other end (the short section leading to the artifact).  I died twice in there.  Good luck.

I know about the shortcut, I was wondering if a thyla could climb up to it. Thanks for the advice.

Hello all,

today has been a quiet day. I put up some fences to prevent dinos falling off the edge of my base (I'm at the top of a little elevation and until now, moving dinos (i.e. on "follow"... yeah, I often forget to whistle) had a tendency to fall down over the edge. No damage done, but I always have to run down all the way to water level to collect them again. Then I had some other stuff (outside ARK) to do and logged out of ark, but left the server running. Things bothered me some and I actually fell asleep in the meantime with the server still up. I had wondered before if things actually progress on the server when you're locked out - and now I got the answer. A lot of my food had been consumed when I logged back in. So that's been cleared up. Next thing was obviously a food-expedition. Pretty easy with my trike harvesting stuff, but right now a much needed necessity. So I distributed the remaining food and set out for the expedition. Nothing much happened and I returned safe and loaded with berries and some random stuff. Also brought a small amount of meat from two dillos who were silly enough to attack one of my trikes. That, too, was much needed for my Ptera, since as mentioned this guy has a quite unusual appetite. At least for all I know so far.

Also I need to mention my two pet-dillos, who didn't survive the unattended server-uptime. Well, I guess I won't mourn them. I just had them for no particular purpose except looking weird at the entrance of my little hut. So I won't miss them very much.

Not much to expect in the next couple of days, since I'll probably be away from my computer. See you next week! Have a nice weekend everyone.

Eleusius.

• Like 1

Today, I made my Yuty saddle, worked on Therizino number 18, and raided bee hives to make some veggie cakes.  

I only wish I had a better Yuty to go with the saddle ?.  As I said in an earlier post it was a wild 75 (112 after taming).  I still have not found a better one and have begun adding levels to the one I got.  I will spend more time on it tomorrow by doing laps around Carno Island.  She is not ready for the dragon yet.  But I will do my best to make sure she is. 

I am happy with the Therizino Troop though. I have high expectations for them and feel they can get it done.  They are all ready to go except for the last one.  I will make a saddle for him tomorrow and finish his training along side the Yuty.

I have a Daeodon that will be the last member of the group.  His training has more to do with a buffet table than anything else.

Veggie cakes are in the oven.  I have 60 made and need to make another 30 if each Therizino is to have at least 5.  But I will probably make more just to be sure.

If all goes to plan, The army will be gathered at the obelisk by the end of tomorrow.  I have already defeated the gamma dragon with rexes, so I will likely start with beta to gage the strength of the group before attempting the alpha.  Another reason to make more veggie cakes I guess, if I'm to do two fights I will need extra.

I still have work to do.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DodoRaptor said:

I know about the shortcut, I was wondering if a thyla could climb up to it. Thanks for the advice.

I don't think so. It would have to swim through sarco and piranha infested water just to get to the wall.  I would not use that as plan A.  Instead, you could maybe cryopod your thyla until you grapple to the other side, but I don't remember that section of cave being very large and the thyla might not fit very far beyond the entrance.  Let us know if it does.  Maybe something slightly smaller in frame like a saber tooth could be used there.  Otherwise, pull out a shotgun.  I only remember there being a few (like 2-4) bats in that section.  

But, something to keep in mind is to have a backup cross bow and grapples stored back at the cave entrance.  That way if you die and need to grapple back across the water to get your loot you can do so quickly.  I have a bed and a small 1x1 structure with extra gear outside every cave. Another luxury of solo play.

• Like 1

I am (still) trying to find a small tribes server / small tribe server list and can't find any. So me and my 2 friend will not go back on official if we dont find it lol. Probably go back on solo because on official or unoficial / there is too many toxic players anyway XD ... just want to try these small tribes and see if there is toxic player there to? hahaha!

I'm at a rough spot. I was back on Rag, but I died in a crazy incident with three sabertooths. I could have grabbed my stuff, but I just wasn't feeling like it. So instead, I went to an official PvP server, just for fun. I've got a dilo and a dodo. There are a bunch of "pieces" of newer bases scattered around, plus an actual one. I could have pickaxed in and looted it, but I had just fallen down a cliff and knew that the nearby parasaur could easily kill me. Plus, I felt a bit bad for this poor fellow Bob, and didn't come back later with my dilo. I've got a thatch hut, I had started one in a different spot, but it was abandoned due to a spino sighting. I thought official servers were supposed to be tough, but the gathering rates are insane. I'm not sure if I'll actually commit or not.

I want to return to The Island (solo), but I'm in a bit of a slump there. I want to kill those stupid bosses. And I'll need to do a lot of grinding to get metal for saddles. Even if I just use primitive megatheirium saddles, nineteen will take 1,045 metal. I also want to start getting underwater, but good barries are rare. Maybe I should run the upper south cave, just to get my confidence back. So let's see, I need a good male sloth, a good baryonyx/megalodon/sarco, a bunch of metal, a good male rex, a good rex saddle blueprint...wow. 

Today I took Elisabeth to that one place where two rock elementals can always be found. There were three this time, though, levels 45, 25, and 20. I didn't dare to touch the 45 one, but the other two I dared to touch a lot. With Elisabeth's jaws. Didn't take much time. Even after throwing out all the stone, she still had some difficulty hauling the rest of resources harvested from them back to the base! I can't wait until I get the one I'm raising all grown and fully imprinted, he'll be a killing machine (okay, not when compared to high-bred ones other players have, or even when compared to his 125 melee dad, but still). That also took care of my crystal needs for a bit. I'll have to harvest some (or kill another elemental or two) pretty soon, but at least I have enough for, like, 4 greenhouse walls, and that's pretty good.

A while ago I leveled Snow the unicorn after all. Sure, unicorn, a pure creature and all, having level 69 was funny, but after I made a saddle for her I just couldn't leave her unleveled, because if she has a saddle, she gotta be used at least sometimes, and I can't use her with that annoying "level-up available" message constantly on the screen. Her new purpose is to help me haul loot to the workshop, and to stand nearby with salt and sulfur in her inventory while I'm raising dinos, because making preserving salt in the chemistry bench is wasteful: I usually only raise one dino at a time, so one stack of salt is needed, so the second one would just spoil uselessly.

Oh! And I unfroze the giga to raise him more, the result of his 3% imprint are now visible, which is cool.

Named the baby giga. I don't usually name dinos before they're juvenile, but the lil' dude is at 3.7 percent and seems to be pretty great at the whole "not dying" thing, so he's Deimos now.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

Well, the plan today was to be standing on the platform ready to teleport to the dragon.  I'm not there yet. ?   So after I leveled my Therizinos... made more trips for metal, hide, fiber, and wood... made the final saddle.... gathered honey and sap... made some more veggie cakes... exercised the Yuty for some levels... and deemed myself practically ready....  Then I remembered I need giga hearts. Ouch. 1 for the Beta and 2 for the Alpha if I remember right. I had three before (used two for my failed Alpha fight) and should have 1 more in the cabinet I placed on the obelisk platform.

So I podded up some rexes and headed to giga mountain.  I knew there was one on top from my many metal runs.  I unpodded the team of 8 rexes and 1 Yuty on the lower west slope of the mountain (large open gravel area).  I then used my Argy to kite him down.  He is only a level 10 and my team made quick work of the beast.  1 heart in hand.  

I have also seen a giga on the snowy mountain (the one without the obelisk hovering above it).  Another level 10.  I was just getting ready to head that way when life happened again and I got pulled from the game.  He is my first task tomorrow morning. 

Either way, I have one and can run at the Beta at some point tomorrow.  If I can kill the one on snowy mountain and find the one I lost then maybe I can play with the Alpha too.  If not, I will wait for the next giga to spawn.  Hahahaha, love this never ending game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

@AllOfTheAllos, I like the name. Do you have a Phobos as well?  Moons of Mars and Twin sons of Ares, god of war.  Very nice.

No, but perhaps if the next one hatches male and with the right colors, he'll be Phobos. Or maybe Phobos will be the perfect tek rex, once I manage to, well, get one that's perfect (meaning, like, 10000 health, 400 melee, full black or almost full black with gray head, that's still quite a few mutations away, though).

• Like 2

Today I hatched 5 tek rex eggs (no mutations, so I got scrap metal instead of a future new breeder to raise), raised Deimos to over 5% and imprinted him the second time, bred gigas again, and spent quite some time searching for the giga egg with just over 4 hours left on it, checking all my numerous boxes and dino inventories, while in truth it was laying peacefully in the refrigerator, and I just didn't notice it until after checking for the third time.

• Like 1

Started off the day looking for the giga on snowy mountain (IDK the official name).  Could not find it.  Flew over to the red obelisk and found two more giga hearts in my old cabinet on the platform.  Sweet!  So that gives me 3 total, enough for the Beta and Alpha.  I then looked at the podium to double check I have all the tribute requirements and immediately noticed I need more Artifacts of the Strong.  Crap!

So I headed back to my base and grabbed my Yuty.  And in case the poop hits the fan, I also podded up two allos to keep in my pocket.  I grabbed all other gear and headed out for the ice cave.  Everything went as expected.  I took it slow and kept my Yuty's health high by force feeding her every time I cleared a section.  the only real trouble came towards the end where you have to jump the last water gap.  The Yuty didn't make it and I was in the water for a long moment.  Luckily I was able to get her alongside the ice enough for me to hop off.  I took out the cryopod and sucked her up.  I then grappled to the other side and let her out again.  I got the artifact and then stayed for the respawn to get a second one (put that one on the otter).  I was proud that I never had to unpod the allos.  I love doing that cave on the Yuty.  The fear roar make all the little purlovia's crawl out of their hiding spots.  I was also able to grab some good gear from the lute drops.... 4 ascendant saddles including a 336 raptor and a 273 mammoth; 2 ascendant shot guns, a sniper rifle, and gillie pants BP.

Anyway, it was successful.  My Yuty started out as a level 112 after taming and she is now a 165.  I finally gave her a name, Lady Gaga. 

I headed back to base, made all the final preparations, and took the platoon of Therizinos to the platform.  I loaded up the pig with food then decided not to take him.  I only have one and would rather have him with me when I face the Alpha.  So I went back to base and picked up my only mammoth (with the new 273 saddle) to fill the vacant spot.  A basic tank if nothing else.

All set.  I pushed the button and teleported to the Beta dragon.  I didn't have time to take a head count but I noticed some were missing.  The fight went well, but I lost 3 Therizinos and the 1 mammoth at the very end (all in the final 20 seconds of the fight).  But, in the end, the dragon did fall.  Success.  I scrambled amongst the wreckage and found three bags with saddles.  The mammoth saddle is lost forever.  It wasn't until I got back that I noticed 7 therizinos still in their original spots.  SEVEN! I don't know why they didn't teleport. We were all well within the circle.  But that meant I defeated the Beta with 11 therizinos, 1 mammoth, and 1 Yuty.  Not too bad.  I am troubled that so many stayed behind, but I am also encouraged that I beat the Beta with so little.  And I can't help but think that I might not have lost anybody if I had the extra 7 Therizinos tossing some punches too.  The dragon's end would have come quicker.  Oh well.  The crew is now healing on the platform with the pig.   I think I will take a little time and raise up a few more Therizinos before jumping back into the Alpha fight since I have the saddles.  I have put too much time into this to not take a full squad against the alpha.  But I think that is something for tomorrow.  Time for dinner.

Edited by Penguin73
  • Like 1

Today I unpodded Deimos, gave him a lot of food, put on Splash the chibi-megalodon and went with Elisabeth to hunt some alpha raptors and maybe carnos.

Didn't find any. 

What I DID find was a wild giga. Fortunately, it was far away and didn't notice me, so even Elisabeth's rather lacking stamina didn't stop us both from getting back to the safety of Beaver lake, and from there - back to the base. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to kill any alpha dinos, but really happy that I noticed that giga before it noticed me.

Later I went there on Wildfire to check the giga out, turned out there were two, both males, levels 45 and 50.

Level 45 was entirely light brown, color kinda matching what his stats would have been post-tame if I decided to tame him.

Level 50 was a pleasant combination of lighter and darker shades of gray. Still not good enough for me to tame him, as I'm pretty happy with the colors and stats of my own gigas (even if I'm not very lucky at combining those stats and colors on the same giga baby).

• Like 1

I didn't play ark, but I'm trying to decide if I should play tomorrow. I've already accepted that going on a PvP server "casually" was kind of a mistake, and if it wasn't a managarmr it would have been a raptor, or rex, or, velo, or spino, or wyvern, or trike, or the person with the parasaur...it could have been anything. No point in getting mad about it. I don't want to return to the island in SP yet, that sloth was such a disappointing letdown. Not sure if anyone else watches him, but that sloth's level combined with how it actually turned out, reminds me of Phlinger Phoo's rex named Melonhead. I sort of want to make a new base on Rag, since my current one is really nothing more than an upgraded shack. The falls near the beaver lake, the desert ruins, the castle of the swamp (would require heavy-duty clearing), and the many huge, ruined bridges are all nice. One base probably wouldn't do Ragnarok justice.