So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

29 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Chainsaws/Theri specced is your best hide friend. If you have the means, Titans give like 8-10k hide or so with a decent chainsaw (level melee damage if you want more yield) and Titans are pretty easy with any giga (bonus if imprinted) just bite and walk backwards. The biggest challenges are: Not getting stomped on (stepped on not stomped - will enrage giga QUICK) and the second challenge: Not over biting once titan is dead and eating body with giga :P

Otherwise if I'm lazy / dont have a chainsaw I'll take two theriz out. One specced melee / power one melee weight delicate. Power theri is mateboost / protection / follower your other theri you ride and headbutt brontos for days. Quick hide. Go down 50/50 river on the island.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not on a map with titans atm; however I hope to meet them someday.  Chainsaw sounds cool though. I might have to make one just to play with it. lol.

And yes, Theriz' are great.  After I hatch and imprint one I load it up with a basic saddle and ride it around and thrash everything in sight.  Like a good parent, I make them earn the materials for their improved saddle....  They can't just have one for free.... and it levels them up in the process.  win-win.

• Like 1

Since I have checked on and fed my creatures both on Valguero and on Crystal Isles recently enough, so nothing is at the risk of starving or decaying, I decided that today will be the singleplayer day.

Still not actually playing, as the base is not fully built yet, but I think that I might actually finish today. The base is a rather typical one for me, built with CKF (both versions, as new one has some nice stuff, but the old one has rounded pieces which make it much easier to build towers), and consisting of three parts: outer rectangle, with higher walls and three large gates, serving as the main defense against any and all flying creatures, will also house whatever large terrestrial predators I manage to acquire. First inner rectangle (the walls of which will be connected to my house), which is going to be a garden, useless but pretty. And the second inner rectangle, which has a dodo coop (was supposed to be a chicken one, but it turned out that the alteration to chickens in AOA mod wasn't just renaming them and now they wouldn't fit through the door), a "field" of 12 large crop plots, a pen for aurochs, and a stable (6 stalls, 2 long 2 wide). I haven't made screenshots of that new build, but here's a link to a screenshot of the first singleplayer base I've built in such a way (new one's a lot bigger, though): here it is!

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ADDITION (important because I'm very excited):

I decided to go onto the Valguero server I play on just to quickly check on that cave (it was, indeed, the loot cave with no enemies and flyers allowed). Got no good loot, BUT! I saw a giga. Female, level 55, pretty colors (dark, possibly actually black back, belly seems to be light gray. Either way, colors are nice and not clashing). And just before my eyes, she got stuck on some rocks. Now, I know that gigas and other strong creatures tend to get unstuck just as you think they won't get out, but still I went to my base to grab the rifle, narcotics, kibble, darts, and Rose (the Blood wyvern that I initially got for breeding, but that's not happening, and her colors aren't pretty enough to ride). SO! I got it all, and I went back, and the giga was still there!

I found a nice position and stopped Rose there. And started firing. Missed 2 shots, but the rest of the darts (all 114 of them) hit the mark. But I guess giga's torpor drop rate is too fast for that to work. 

So I flew back to the base, killed and harvested some cnidarias on my way, made shock darts, and returned. The giga was still there.

I got Rose into position, shot-shot-shot, almost lost hope, but when I had just three darts left, the giga finally fell!

So I loaded her up with all the narcotics (turned out I brought too much! Still had 5 whole stacks left by the end of it), waited for her to get hungry enough for two pieces of kibble, didn't have patience for her to get hungrier than that, and gave her all of it (brought too much of that too, by the way. Had plenty left afterwards).

Had to fight off a tek raptor and a sabertooth, but they didn't ruin the effectiveness too much, she still ended up being level 81.

And then I podded her, brought her to my base, made her a saddle (dyed black and brown with golden metal parts), and named her Elisabeth. Already tried her out, she's pretty great! No idea how good or bad is 70% melee for a 81 giga, but seems pretty okay for meatruns (plus, I won't put a single point into anything besides melee until it's at least 80%).

So anyway that's how I tamed my first giga just because it was there.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 3

Today was a long and productive day! I:

Rode around on my giga, leveling her up (just need one more point to hit 100% melee, and the rest will go into health, stam, and maybe a bit of weight, poor girl encumbers easily). Even killed a level 20 rock elemental with her, I didn't really believe that it's an easy thing that can be done with just a tamed giga (I was prepared to turn tail and use up all of her stamina to escape if things went wrong), but it really WAS easy and she was barely even hurt despite wearing basic 25 armor saddle, and it was when her melee was only around 80%, so if  were to do it now it would be even easier!

Hatched 10 tek rex eggs, one egg hatched male triplets with a third health mutation (that's 9900 health!)! I'll raise one and keep others frozen first in case I fail to raise one, and then to maybe trade them for something.

Traded! That's the second time I've ever done it, went fine.

Filled up the box where I keep electronics (I get them solely from hunting tek dinos and grinding stuff, and I prefer not to throw things out unless they're really common, like hide), gave away the entire contents of it so that I can keep putting electronics in there.

Started to expand my base. Not much, just extended the wall, like, 10 foundations (checked. Actually more -16 or seventeen) from the former border. Just so that it no longer feels cramped (by cramped I meas I suddenly realized that it's about 2 gigas wide. It became noticeable due to my giga Elisabeth being there)

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

I didn't get to play as much as I wanted this weekend.  But I did hatch and imprint a couple Therizinos.  Took one out for levelling in the Island SE corner since I hadn't been down there in awhile and figured it would be loaded with dinos.... And I was right.  I found an explorer note to boost XP and ran around like a crazy animal.  Found a couple alpha carnos and a couple mid level rexes to go with the slaughter and happily discovered I went up 27 levels when the timer expired. 

Took the other Therizino into the redwoods and had something new happen.  I was running around and saw one of those little dudes that is always trying to steal your stuff (pegomestax, or something like that), anyway, he jumped at me and I took a swing at him.  Then the game paused and asked me to name my newly tamed pegomestax.  How the heck did that happen? Anyhoo, I am not sure what I will do with him. For now he is just sitting off the back corner of my base.  I have always hated those things and not all that sure we can be friends at this point.  If he tells his family to give back all my stuff they have taken, then maybe we can work something out. Until then, he can sit in the corner next to the compost bin.

I also spent some time doing metal runs and gathering up more resources for saddles.  built 3 more ascendant Therizino saddles and 1 mastercraft rex saddle.  I now have 17 imprinted and leveled rexes with saddles, and 9 Therizinos (mostly leveled) with saddles.  I'm not taking the rexes back to face the dragon though. That was a bad day.  They will be used later in the tek cave.

I took a few trips through the frozen north to look for a high level Yuti to replace my good friend, Colonel Mustard.  He, like the rest of my crew, died on the field of battle in a crushing defeat to the alpha dragon. RIP Colonel. We will have our revenge!!! Our day is coming, my friend.

• Like 3

Today: took Elisabeth on a murderwander through the redwoods, got her that last melee point, she still has 22 more levels to gain which, as I said before, will be spread between health, stam, and possibly weight. Also, learned that it is possible to be thylacoleo'd off a giga. By getting thylacoleo'd off Elisabeth's back. Fortunately, I had no problem retrieving my stuff using my least favorite wyvern, and Elisabeth dealt with the thyla just fine on her own while I was getting back to her. Won't take her to the redwoods anymore, though. Too much hassle to get to, and too many things (1 whole species, yes, that's too many) that can hurt me despite me riding such a huge and fearsome beast.

Froze some dinos I'm not riding/breeding at the moment (2 theries, both quetz females, 1 diplo, 3 moschops, 1 ankylo. That leaves me with 45 dinos non-cryoed, not counting the baby tek rex).

The rest of the day will be spent raising one of the 9900 health tek rexes from yesterday.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

This weekend, I’ve been on a mission to tame, harvest or craft anything I need to start trying the boss fights. Now I see why silica pearls and obsidian are so important ?

I finally tamed an otter for carrying artifacts!!I didn’t realize how small they were in the water so I spent a lot of time hovering way too high above the water to see them. I must’ve flown over lots of them without knowing. When I did finally see one (also my first time seeing one in the game), I just plucked it out of the water with my argy and flew it back to my hidden lake base to tame it there safely.

I also set up a crafting station on top of the volcano and got my first theri so I can start making the right kibble for my next tames. oh, I got a baryonyx too! I’m basically approaching my end game time just like how Syntac does in his series about the island. I’m using it like a guide. My goal is to get to SE the “proper” way.

Doing all of this on single player is a bit of a challenge, I’m not gonna lie. That and I’m not the worlds greatest gamer, I have the difficulty turned down but I still die all the time. #bunkbeds

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

I didn't get to play as much as I wanted this weekend.  But I did hatch and imprint a couple Therizinos.  Took one out for levelling in the Island SE corner since I hadn't been down there in awhile and figured it would be loaded with dinos.... And I was right.  I found an explorer note to boost XP and ran around like a crazy animal.  Found a couple alpha carnos and a couple mid level rexes to go with the slaughter and happily discovered I went up 27 levels when the timer expired. 

Took the other Therizino into the redwoods and had something new happen.  I was running around and saw one of those little dudes that is always trying to steal your stuff (pegomestax, or something like that), anyway, he jumped at me and I took a swing at him.  Then the game paused and asked me to name my newly tamed pegomestax.  How the heck did that happen? Anyhoo, I am not sure what I will do with him. For now he is just sitting off the back corner of my base.  I have always hated those things and not all that sure we can be friends at this point.  If he tells his family to give back all my stuff they have taken, then maybe we can work something out. Until then, he can sit in the corner next to the compost bin.

I also spent some time doing metal runs and gathering up more resources for saddles.  built 3 more ascendant Therizino saddles and 1 mastercraft rex saddle.  I now have 17 imprinted and leveled rexes with saddles, and 9 Therizinos (mostly leveled) with saddles.  I'm not taking the rexes back to face the dragon though. That was a bad day.  They will be used later in the tek cave.

I took a few trips through the frozen north to look for a high level Yuti to replace my good friend, Colonel Mustard.  He, like the rest of my crew, died on the field of battle in a crushing defeat to the alpha dragon. RIP Colonel. We will have our revenge!!! Our day is coming, my friend.

Didnt you say you're on a map without titans? Did you disable titanosaurs? 

As to pego- it stole food from you and that's how you tame them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

Didnt you say you're on a map without titans? Did you disable titanosaurs? 

As to pego- it stole food from you and that's how you tame them.

Sorry, I misunderstood I think. I have not seen a titanosaur for awhile and I guess it was just a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind.  I have not disabled them.  And I have only fought one... I was on a rex and tried to bite a saber that ran too close to the titanosaur… bit the wrong one by accident and it did not end well.  I don't have a giga either.  I have not found one spawn above a level 10 yet and have not been enticed to commit the effort for a small one.  I have dino-wiped a few times but still get same results.  Both of them are on my list of things to do but have not been a priority at this point.

Thanks for the clarification and the point made on pego.  I am still learning every day.

• Like 3

Still today, but in separate comment because very exciting: I found a male giga and managed to knock him out! Soon he'll be mine (if antimesh doesn't kill him, because he's in the rocks, so might happen. But I'll try to pod him right away to avoid it).

Tamed! And he's alive. Level 142 (wild 95), 17720 health, 125% melee, stamina suck but far as I know, stamina of gigas always sucks unless they have a lot of mutations on it. Brought him home, named him Diablo (might rename to Green Devil, not sure yet), bred him to Elisabeth, hope the baby gets his stats and her colors.

So, that's how things went with Diablo: when I found him, he wasn't stuck. Not even a tiny bit. Running free as a raging wind.

Yet I really wanted to get a mate for Elisabeth, so back to my base I went. Two woodruns with a therizino, two metal runs, three narcoberry ones, and a retrieval of all the spoiled meat from troughs and inventories, I had about 160 tranq darts and was ready for the next step: biotoxin run. Naturally, I used my pelagornis. The hunt wasn't very interesting, almost no risk. By the end of it I had 4 full stacks plus a bit more. Back to the base, and  I made the shock darts. 145 of them. Retrieved my trusty 209.4 longneck (this time it was in the industrial cooker. I tend to sometimes leave valuables in whatever container happens to be the closest), unpodded Rose, gave her four Quetz cakes (100 stimberries and 1 element dust, just because) and 30 basic kibble, grabbed the kibble I'll need for taming as well as 12 stacks of narcotics (yes, it's an overkill. Yes, I already know FROM EXPERIENCE that it's an overkill. But I would be very nervous without a ton of narcotics on hand while taming a giga), and back to the giga we (me and Rose) went!

First I  wasted a few (no more than ten) darts because it sometimes looked like he got stuck, but then he got free. Then Rose needed a stam landing (or a cake, but I didn't want to use it just yet) so I headed to some player's base for that. Then my game froze so badly, that killing it in the task manager and logging in anew was the only choice. Miraculously, me and Rose were fine, within the borders of that exact base, and I didn't doubt a second before expressing my joy in the global chat, in rather crude terms. That was met with concern (and possible hope for a giga heart) from another player, and I made a promise to share the coords if I ran out of darts before the beast falls asleep (but I didn't have to because as you already know, everything went fine).

I hopped back onto Rose's back and went lo look for the giga again. He was between the Lake and the Aberration cave, a dangerous place for he could easily drown, so all I could do was watch him wandering, killing everything in his path.

But then... He walked into the cave's entrance. And stopped. Yes, indeed, he was well and truly stuck.

It took me several attempts to get Rose into the proper position, as I didn't know how close I can go without being dismounted (I haven't checked if I could still stand on the wyvern's back while force-dismounted by the Aberration cave, and between the giga in front of me and the jellyfishes possibly under me it wasn't exactly the great time to check), and often I ended up too far to left or right, or too high to hit the giganotosaurus, but in the end I found just the right position and just the right angle, and all I had to to was dismount, turn towards the giga (and Rose's tail) and shoot.

When he fell, I still had 44 darts left, not counting the one still loaded into the rifle.

For a giga taming without artificial traps AND without the giga being stuck from the very beginning, it went perfectly fine.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
Decided to add details on how I tamed Diablo
  • Like 5

I'm having trouble on the island. I had incredible beginners luck with my argent, but I'm not finding any good sloths or rexes. But 145 parasaurs galore! How thrilling. I tamed a 120 daeodon, just because, and the thousands of meat I've gotten clearing out spawn points might allow me to get a couple minutes of healing off of him. I also tamed a 95 archaeopteryx, although level doesn't matter at all. Fun to play with!

I also found a 95 thylacoleo, which was just taunting me. I'll take a 120, a 115, maybe even a 110, but 95 is just a bit too low. And I can't just fly through the redwoods looking, since any I don't spot will pounce me. In hindsight, I should have tried to tame a 125 rex I found. Not great, but maybe with some luck it could have been okay. It's since despawned. I also found a 45 and 50 rex near each other. Male and female, I believe. Ark's just mocking me with the fact that those would be awesome if they had a one at the front.

I've decided that despite the fact that I need good dinos of all sorts, a sloth is my number one priority. There is a very active spawn point by Whitesky Peak, just north of another very active spawn point on the nearby non-snowy beach. Phlinger Phoo refers to the non-snowy one as "the mosh pit." The snowy one could be my best hope for megatheirium. They're there, but I'm failing to find high-levels.

I want to to the maps semi-legit, and not just transfer in when I feel like it, meaning to enjoy SE, I need to beat the Overseer. Same for each next final boss. The "semi" is because I'll use transfers, going back to tree punching isn't for me. But I guess it will have to be for Ab...

As I've said before, the four "custom" ones are reserved for my other character. There are only two things stoping me from playing with him: the fact that I lost everything I owned, thanks to a stupid bug, and jerboas, and bulbdogs, and wyverns, and snow owls, and managarmrs (better hurry before they're nerfed into nothingness), and karkinos, and thorny dragons, and gasbags, and feroxes (by the time I get there, they'll probably be mostly fixed), and bloodstalkers, and rock drakes, and...you get the point. New stuff. 

I will get it done. I must. I've sacrificed so much, hacked so many bodies to pieces. I will ascend!

Today my connection behaves too badly to actually play (weird. Usually it only does that in the evening, during rain, or when there's a Windows update, but it's a sunny day and no update, so it SHOULD be fine), so my day in ARK will consist of putting the giga egg in the hatchery (done, took two attempts to get to the fridge, two to drop it off in the hatchery, and two to go back into my house for a safe log-off. I wasn't joking when I said my connection is REALLY bad today), and taking it out at some point in the evening.

Connection issues fixed themselves somehow, so I took Elisabeth for a meatrun, threw quetz eggs into the hatchery (only one hour left on them! And I'll raise the babies even if they aren't cool, because apparently it's better to have some unneeded quetzals on hand at all times), unfroze 9900 health tek rex baby number 1 (named Tough), and checked out the loot cave (journeyman 145 slingshot BP, an apprentice metal shield, a mastercraft equus saddle BP and a mastercraft para saddle, plus some less remarkable stuff).

Checked the loot cave again, still no cool loot, just a journeyman pistol and an ascendant metal pick. At least I remembered a great place with crystals nearby and put that pick to a good use. Quetzals hatched, froze all. Froze the baby rex, will resume raising him tomorrow. Added another row of metal railings to the extended part of the base, once I hit half-height of the rest of the wall, I'll start to take rows off the old border. Kept the giga egg in the hatchery, hope nothing happens (though, everything was always fine so anything happening now is unlikely). Went into singleplayer a bit, built the base there a bit more but didn't feel like doing much.

Checked the loot cave yet again. There was a level 20 argent in it, it attacked me, and, I guess, pushed me (I was riding an argent of my own) into the cave's ceiling. It didn't kill me, though, just teleported me into my equus stable, into the stall where I keep Raf the pelagornis. Had to go back to the cave to retrieve the argent and finally get the loot (43 plesio saddle, 111 fur gloves BP, 40-something fur gloves, and a shotgun BP with over 170 damage - I'll make the ultimate baby unmaker gun from it!).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Penguin73 said:

Sorry, I misunderstood I think. I have not seen a titanosaur for awhile and I guess it was just a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind.  I have not disabled them.  And I have only fought one... I was on a rex and tried to bite a saber that ran too close to the titanosaur… bit the wrong one by accident and it did not end well.  I don't have a giga either.  I have not found one spawn above a level 10 yet and have not been enticed to commit the effort for a small one.  I have dino-wiped a few times but still get same results.  Both of them are on my list of things to do but have not been a priority at this point.

Thanks for the clarification and the point made on pego.  I am still learning every day.

No problem :) I think it's the neat thing about this thread - you learn new styles of play every day.  Didnt mean to come across pushy. You probably arent ready to farm titans for hide haha, loads of other options though ! 

• Thanks 1

Yikes, what did I do? Killed, killed, killed, but no good megatheirium . Two hours down the drain. I don't want to use commands to spawn one in, not counting the many dino wipes I was forced to do while I was trying to set my difficulty to a proper 5.0, and the artifact I'll need to spawn in when when I do the cave of the skylord (though I will run the cave first, just so it's "earned"). I've found tons of high-level creatures, including a 150 woolly rhino. Am I crazy to say that might work on a boss? They're certainly easier to find than megatheirium. At least I sort of had fun clearing, I'd lure my victims into a daeodon filled pen. They were wild, and occasionally one would die or despawn, but for the most part they just shredded everything. There were also two sabertooths, a raptor, and a scorpion at one point, they didn't aggro by default, but I think the scorpion got in the crossfire, and the raptor and sabertooths despawned. One's still in there I think. Also, (people who can never find ovis will hate me) three ovis did spawn in that area, one was killed by daeodons, the others are still somewhere I think. Come on ark! I could go buy Atlas if I wanted, but I chose you. Give me some boss breeders!

Flew around for an hour and a half today looking for a Yuti.  Didn't see anything over lvl 80.  killed all I could find and will hope for better respawns later.  In my travels I did grab a red drop and found a nice ascendant quetzal saddle inside.  Then like so many days lately, I settled in to my normal routine.  Went back to base and made a few metal runs to the volcano.  Cursed at myself yet again for building my tek replicator on one side of the house and the refining forge on the other.  Running back and forth with single stacks of metal is getting old real quick.  Then used my thylacoleo to gather hide from the redwoods.  Took the mammoth out for some wood. Then used my Theri to tickle all the nearby bushes for fiber...  Made another Therizino saddle.  

Hatched two more Theri eggs.  Started imprinting.  Not exciting, I know.  But, it is progress. At least, that is what I tell myself.

And DodoRaptor... I feel your troubles.  I have yet to find a high level megatherium. I got tired of waiting and used rexes for the Brood Mother...not as good but they still worked.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 4:27 PM, DodoRaptor said:

I'm having trouble on the island. I had incredible beginners luck with my argent, but I'm not finding any good sloths or rexes. But 145 parasaurs galore! How thrilling. I tamed a 120 daeodon, just because, and the thousands of meat I've gotten clearing out spawn points might allow me to get a couple minutes of healing off of him. I also tamed a 95 archaeopteryx, although level doesn't matter at all. Fun to play with!

I also found a 95 thylacoleo, which was just taunting me. I'll take a 120, a 115, maybe even a 110, but 95 is just a bit too low. And I can't just fly through the redwoods looking, since any I don't spot will pounce me. In hindsight, I should have tried to tame a 125 rex I found. Not great, but maybe with some luck it could have been okay. It's since despawned. I also found a 45 and 50 rex near each other. Male and female, I believe. Ark's just mocking me with the fact that those would be awesome if they had a one at the front.

I've decided that despite the fact that I need good dinos of all sorts, a sloth is my number one priority. There is a very active spawn point by Whitesky Peak, just north of another very active spawn point on the nearby non-snowy beach. Phlinger Phoo refers to the non-snowy one as "the mosh pit." The snowy one could be my best hope for megatheirium. They're there, but I'm failing to find high-levels.

I want to to the maps semi-legit, and not just transfer in when I feel like it, meaning to enjoy SE, I need to beat the Overseer. Same for each next final boss. The "semi" is because I'll use transfers, going back to tree punching isn't for me. But I guess it will have to be for Ab...

As I've said before, the four "custom" ones are reserved for my other character. There are only two things stoping me from playing with him: the fact that I lost everything I owned, thanks to a stupid bug, and jerboas, and bulbdogs, and wyverns, and snow owls, and managarmrs (better hurry before they're nerfed into nothingness), and karkinos, and thorny dragons, and gasbags, and feroxes (by the time I get there, they'll probably be mostly fixed), and bloodstalkers, and rock drakes, and...you get the point. New stuff. 

I will get it done. I must. I've sacrificed so much, hacked so many bodies to pieces. I will ascend!

DodoRaptor, one strategy I use when traveling through the redwoods is to always make sure my mount is set to "Attack my Target".  I also try to wear semi decent armor (typically journeyman leather or better works fine for me) and have a sword or something similar in the hot bar.  When (not if)  I get knocked off by a Thyla I have the armor and sword to fight the thing off temporarily.  All you have to do is last long enough for your mount to circle around and finish it off.  It is usually over very quickly and I don't get more than a few scratches to show for it.  Just remember to change your mount back to neutral or passive if you find something worth taming.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, @Penguin73. The carno's getting a bleed soon, if it works on bosses, that could change everything. Something tells me it probably won't, which is a bit of a shame. I'll keep looking for good dinos, and I'll do what you suggested and fly through the redwoods looking. I have a blueprint for a journeyman sword, which would probably be better than my primitive pump shotgun, especially since a thylacoleo pouncing you will always be in sword range.

• Thanks 1

Didn't do much today: went on a small meatrun with Elisabeth, found a dead bronto who was in a real creepy pose (lying in a pretty normal way, sorta like a resting cow, with head propped on a small cliff... And twisted upside-down, making it appear eyeless and eerily smiling), fed the dinos, checked on the giga egg (everything's fine), bred gigas again and added the second egg to the hatchery, logged off.

• Like 1

Finally got lucky. I used Penguin73's suggestion and flew through the redwoods with a 110% damage sword (the journeyman took over 300 and I'm in a bit pf a metal shortage. Also had a shotgun. Ironically, I was only pounced once, before I even started officially looking with the sword. I had even spotted said thyla, but I underestimated it's pounce range. I just shotgunned it, which is what I had recently had to do to a purlovia earlier. I was flying low to steal a carno egg (hey don't ask, the oviraptor in me can't resist stealing every single egg I see), when I saw the mound and tried to fly up. Too late. I did get the egg in the end. 

Anyway, I found a 115 thyla, I shot it down, and carried it to a pen, the jerk drained my bird's health to half. It took around 30 bites, this is with 4x taming speed. He looks really cool, I named him Strawberry, since he's a nice shade of red. Tomorrow, I'll try the carno island cave with him. I also can probably do the upper south with him, using a cryopod to get him by the choke point. I'm bouncing between health in melee on levels. Dododex says he's is average in all stats, but he does seem to have a tad extra stamina compared to everything else. I also noticed that while YouTubers use thylas mainly for caving and ground mounts, and don't really capitalize on their climbing, it's pretty amazing. It's so awesome how I can scale a redwood tree and launch away with no fall damage. I don't want to do anything too stupid with him though, since I don't have a breeding population.

Finding high-levels will be so much easier now, since you can't miss them on a ground mount. Although I'll have to test him out after carno island, since I don't want to risk swimming there, and I can't keep my bird cryoed till I need him, since he's under the effect of an event candy. From the Easter event. I can really save my Easter candy. Anyway, I'm so glad to have him.

• Like 1

Checked on the wyverns on Crystal Isles (they're fine, not escaped or anything), gave Summerwind a bit more crystals to munch on until I decide to check on her and Lilac Wind again, built water pipes leading to my house and ending with a tap.

And then I logged onto the server I actually play on to check on the giga eggs. Giga eggs are fine, older one will hatch in less than four hours so I'll just keep my character in the hatchery the whole time, watching stuff on YouTube and occasionally checking the game to feed and water the character and check on the egg.

The egg hatched! Male giga, mom's colors (like I wanted), mom's damage (like I didn't want). Still gonna raise him, unless, of course, one of the two eggs I have in the hatchery now yields a giga with mom's colors and dad's damage (or mostly mom's colors, dad's damage, and a mutated color that looks nice with the rest (so, black, dark gray, or something like that).

After raising the young giga until he could hold a whole stack and almost-a-half of meat, I froze him and took his mother Elisabeth on a murderwander. I encountered a level 90 alpha raptor and decided to check how good she'll be at fighting something that strong. Very good, as it turns out! Didn't get hurt much, killed it pretty quickly. Then I killed a lot of brontos, trikes, carnos, allos and rexes, and then I found an alpha carno, level 15. Elisabeth easily ate that, too. I suppose, as long as I don't throw her at alpha rexes of any level, things will be perfectly fine in a non giga-enraging way.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 3

I did the Carno Island cave, but he took a beating. Let's rewind to the beginning. I started off at my base, and knew I would probably freak out during the small swimming portion at the front, so I took a lazarus chowder along with me. We got there and I landed my bird. I made sure to keep him on neutral. I ate the chowder and went in, after killing a couple things. I went into the water and began freaking out, due to the terrible lighting, so I turned up my gamma. Found my way out to by the entrance again, then went back in. This time a made it into the actual cave. I was greeted by an ungodly amount of bats, among other things. I killed the non-bats easily, but the bats absolutely shredded me, and I fled so I wouldn't lose my brand-new thyla.

I ran around Carno Island, until I finally found a spot I could force feed in peace. I ran out of meat, so I went back to my argent to grab more. He ended up getting attacked by a bat that followed me out somehow and flew around killing it. Finally I got everything sorted out, but I kept getting attacked by surface creatures so my health never ended up full.

I went back in, now without any chowder. I killed three bats at the entrance who also somehow got through the water. I made it into the main area again, this time without freaking out during the swim. I did fairly well after that, my health stayed above 50% the whole time. I opened two explorer note boxes, there was a third, but it was out of the way, and looked hard to reach. I got the artifact and some loot, but sadly it was just a blue crate with a journeyman stone pick and a blueprint for a hide hat, that's not as good as the hat in the set of hide armor I have (helps to wear hide in caves with arthropleura, I normally wear flak). I did get ramshackle flak leggings from a surface red drop, they were better than my current ones. I'll have to dye it up, for armor I use blue with slate undertones. This whole ordeal got him some levels, he's still not great, but someday I'll tame a better one.

I left off up at the active spawn near the snow, I'll look for food dinos, but a pego took my spyglass, so I'll have to run home and grab a new one. Even though he's not the best, Strawberry is still pretty good.

• Like 1

Yesterday I finished imprinting my two newest Therizinos.  Now have 11, not counting the two I use for breeding.  Time was short yesterday and didn't get to do much else other than clean up and reorganize the base a bit between imprints.  Made a couple runs for wood / metal / etc. and that was it.  Today, I took out the two Theriz for some exercise and levels.  I decided to walk from my main base on the NE corner of the Redwoods to my old base on the west coast of the island.  I have a nice two-story house with a couple of separated buildings. The base sits atop the lower waterfall on the edge of the cliff, overlooking the ocean.  I really like the location but would probably design the base differently if I built there again.  

Anyway, when I arrived there I looked to my south, toward the large, elevated point that has the big cliffs and the single tree on top.  I love that place and almost built my base up there but decided against it because I didn't want to ruin the aesthetics of that beautiful spot.  And I saw a fantastic looking bronto dancing amongst the rocks near that single tree.  It was a solid color, very dark, very black from head to tail, but not dull.  In fact, the skin looked completely shiny like it was covered in oil.  So, curiosity got the best of me and I pulled out the old spy glass.  It looked even better through the glass with the sun bouncing off its' greasy coat.  It was a lvl 100.  Not the highest level, but very respectable in a modest way.

I have never tamed a bronto.  I had seen bigger ones many times in my travels. But, for some reason I needed that one.  And as many of you can attest... plans often change quickly when something you want steps into view.  So, I went and made a bunch of tranq darts.  grabbed a stack of tranq arrows from the cabinet just in case the darts ran out.  Then I checked dododex for taming info and realized I didn't have much of the right kibble.  I talked to myself for a minute, as I often do, and decided to just use crops since this was not going to be a game changing tame.  However, I left the crops in the garden for now since they spoil so fast and I didn't know how long it would take to get this thing down.  So I grabbed a stack of mejoberries to curb his apatite for the two minutes I would need to get back to base and pick the veggies.  The berries were probably not necessary but I took them anyway.

I grabbed a journeyman long neck from the cabinet,  and hopped on one of my early-game tames I had sitting around.  It was a mid-level argy.  I felt prepared like a good boy scout and headed for Lone Tree Point (not sure if there is an official name for it but that is what I call it).

I saw some dilos and a raptor a little uphill from the bronto and cleared the area with the argy.  Then, I decided it would be best (and easier on me later) to have this thing knocked out on the beach below and not on the bluff where anything could step out of the trees.  I had seen rexes up there before and even spinos and baryonix in the river above the waterfall.  I didn't want to take the chance of this thing running toward the forest and falling near potential dangers.  So I shot a tranq dart in its' butt and lured it over the cliff and onto the beach.  Then I flew back to the top of the cliff and commenced firing.  When it fell... it fell near the water and its' head was in just into the shallows.  Naturally my heart stopped and I raced down to the beach, fearing it would drown as I have heard they can.  Fortunately, the neck was propped up on a slight rise and the head was elevated slightly above the surface.  Crisis averted.  I tossed my berries into his inventory, ran back to the garden for the veggies, went back to the bronto, loaded him up... and sat... and waited.

When he woke up.  I named him Benjamin (like the 100 dollar bill).  Happy day.

• Like 3