So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Moved to the floating islands and made a nice base, not as big as I hoped, but it still can be expanded upon. Took a lot of work anyway. I still need to put down a lot of stuff; all I have is a large storage box. A mantis would be amazing, but I'd need to get horns on Rag, and I don't feel like doing anymore transferring. I don't know what I want to do tomorrow, after getting crafting stations made, and making a pump shotgun, since normal shotguns are painful to use with their tiny AoE and only two shots at once.

It feels premature, but the boss really isn't too hard to defeat. High-level rexes are plentiful on all non-stories, although I seemed to have better luck on Ragnarok than Crystal Isles, when it came to finding good dinos. The Center is supposed to have really reliable spawns, but I don't know where I should spawn myself in, since I haven't played there, and how near the obelisks would be.

Of course all the non-story boss fights/mini bosses seem fun. The Center Arena, the Ragnarok arena, the iceworm queen, maybe someday Life's Labyrinth, although transferring artifacts seems more appealing than that crazy place, the lava elemental, but then again, that fight is really rough with just one person, the Valguero Arena, and of course, the crystal wyvern queen. Unlike The Island, being ready for the boss fights doesn't seem like a dead end.

Edited by DodoRaptor
  • Like 1

Today: fished (no BPs, 2 pieces of hard poly, some organic, some crystal, 2 pieces of angler gel), hatched 5 tek rex eggs (only one new mutation, speed, blue on the "ribs" (and not the shade I find pleasant when applied to tek dinos), killed all), the young female quetzals have fully matured, got eggs from them and their mother, incubated them for a bit and put in the fridge for later (hope that if one hatches with a mutation, it would be with an unusual wing color. I saw a blue-winged one once in the wild and the color really suits them).

• Like 1

Not much going on over the week but I found some time on the weekend.

Lots more building, of course. I don't want to even hazard a guess as to the raw cost of this base...

More importantly, I successfully acquired a pair of yutyrannus. I would consider them a keystone tame, as important as argents or ankys in the grand scheme of things for their overall impact. A source of yuty eggs means kibble time, so I got a hive up and going, boy was that tedious and annoying. And crops, of course.

I also made a huge discovery. I found the phoenix! Unfortunately I've failed twice at taming it. My wyvern isn't powerful enough and I've been having trouble using the pillar trick to find the ashes, even seeing where it fell. So I'm both excited to have it nearby and frustrated that I can't seem to tame it. It's event colors too...

That's pretty much it. As far as builds go this base is rather intricate so most of my time is taken up with that. I'm quite happy with how it's turning out, but it'll be a long time before I'm ready to share the finished base.

• Like 4

In all my ark experiences, today was probably the lowest point. I made a mortar and pestle, refining forge, smithy, bed, cooming pot, and campfire at my new base. I farmed up oil, metal, element shards, and gems. That's all good, right? Yup. The bad part came later. I was checking out the fabled glowtail and megalainia caverns. They never load in right away, and you can see through the ceiling for a bit. As I flew through, they finished loading, and I was too high and became trapped in the mesh. My character was "swimming" for some reason, and so I swam down, fell out from the ceiling, and took fatal fall damage. I returned via griffin, and found a light and my wyvern, but no body or jerboa. Left off wasting metal on new, inferior tools, and without nine or so cryopods. Tomorrow,  I kinda want to return to The Island.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Scorched Earth, private server, two of us...

We have managed to build most of our infrastructure now up through cryofridges and we are still working on an industrial forge.  We have Argys hatching over level 200 and we are still looking for high level Megatherium and Rexes.  I have found all three caves on Scorched Earth (in the crevasse to the Southwest, in the mountains to the Northwest, and in the desert ruins in the South), but we have not attempted to enter them.  We will probably wait until we have high-level Megatherium to combat Mantises that I imagine will be swarming in the caves.  I may do some testing with Megatherium vs. Mantises in the desert sends to see exactly how tough are these new beasties (my sole encounter was when my Argy survived a single hit from a Mantis when I was flying low searching a ruin).

I see Wyverns flying overhead near the trench and I cower under an overhang hoping they do not see me.  Our plan is to breed 40 or so Argys, grab a Wyvern egg, and fly through the cloud of Argys with the egg and hope that they will take care of the swarm of Wyverns that will be chasing the egg thief.  After reading about Cymas dogfighting a Wyvern on an Argy (a couple of pages back in this thread), I am tempted to try it with a "disposable" Argy just to see how tough the Wyverns are.  I, of course, am always disposable.

Scorched Earth feels so different from The Island I think mostly because of the line of sight distances.  You can see almost everywhere on Scorched Earth, but everything is camouflaged and hidden.  It seems a bit easier, but I think that may be just because we know what to expect from Ark and the type of things on which to concentrate.

Snails are also one of our high-priority luxuries.  We really could use lots of cementing paste and organic polymer.  We finally got a beehive for the honey to make Sweet Vegetable Cake to tame a snail.  As far as I can tell, I think that he only beehives on Scorched Earth are in the crevasse to the Southwest.  It took us a bit of effort since the Queen Bee did not fall to the ground, but instead got stuck on a ledge where I could barely crouch.  I only had to die once to figure out that the Queen will not eat at all (she eats only rare flowers) unless you are wearing insect repellent and some amount of ghillie armor.  Draining the hive now that it is tamed only takes insect repellent.  Note that the Ghillie armor that we used was from drops since we cannot make it without organic polymer (from snails or possibly by killing Mantises).

• Like 2

Last day at work, last day of single player. Loaded my small herd onto the boat & started looking for a more permanent base location since we've outgrown our mobile one.

Set my sights on something near green obi. Made landing, tamed a second trike for additional muscle. Started scouting and found argy's. Knocked out a 95 with green plumage & named her Peridot

Took her out in search of a Doed. First one i knocked out got eaten by allos, but the second 1 I spotted turned out to be a 140. Spent the rest of my time taming it with berries 

• Like 2

Didn't do much today. Fed the dinos. Noticed that some were too far from the troughs, moved them into the range. Fished from the back of my pelagornis (nothing great. Just some obsidian, crystal, metal - the usual). Remembered that I've respecked recently and had more points put into crafting skill this time (formerly 460, now 560) so I decided to try and see what I can squeeze out of my 193 longneck BP this time, and "squeezed" quite a nice 209.4 rifle. Considered finishing to hatch the quetz eggs and breeding the rexes, but didn't feel like that.

Also, started singleplayer on Crystal Isles with some mods, not playing yet - just building the base. Playing time would be once that's done. Also also, uninstalled Ragnarok because I haven't played on that map for at least two months in singleplayer and definitely won't do that on a server, seeing as I've firmly settled on Valguero and prefer not to get distracted from that (to the point where the only other survivor on official that I'm currently using exists solely so that I can get things from there without raking the risk of transferring my main survivor).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

Last night I worked on a new recruitment tribe I am running and we discovered some 13 y/o kid that was pretending to be a woman. He keeps stalking me everywhere I go but now I know 3 of his psn's, so everyday brings me closer to having peace. I don't know why this kid is obsessed with me. I want nothing to do with him and keep blocking him on all accounts and blocking all of his friends. This community is really annoying sometimes.

• Confused 1

Watched the screen and hoped for the best.

But after event ended, i still have  30 to 120 seconds no response time every server save.

And not to mention the spikes inbetween.

else just looking and trying to plan how ill go forth and minimize whaty i loose if i try something in game and get hit by the unintenden game mechanichs that the server gives me.

• Like 1

Today was the beginning of the rest of my ark life. Finally, I figured out how to get a max level of 150. Thanks @LEDminer, for helping me figure it out! Went argent hunting. First one was five. Second was 150. Went home and slaughtered an ovis for mutton, started feeding, the thing ate like six bites before I realized I accidentally had my taming at 1.0, instead of 4.0. I quickly fixed it. Turned out super good, over 2k health, 700 weight, at least 11k stamina, maybe more, and over 300% melee. And that was without a single stat pumped, or single-player settings. Fury, my loyal level 75 argent, who started out at only level 9 in the wild, is now retired, and will spend the rest of her days looking out over my base.

After several dino wipes, I've been forced to deal with the respawns. My base is going bananas over every raptor, dilo, and ant. I usually like bunch on neutral, just in case, but right now I think passive is better. Tomorrow, I'm sloth hunting. Look out overseer. I started small, but I'm on my to endgame. I also hear rexes are nice this time of year.

I think I'll do the bosses like this: megatheirium army first, I can afford to be a bit casual, no dedicated breeding pair, just breed with whoever I feel like, original wild two will just be part of the army. For alpha and maybe beta, I'll add in a good yutyrannus. All difficulties primitive saddles, unless I find a good blueprint or premade. If I don't, it's fine. Cementing paste is a joke thanks to my snail.

Rex army for megapithicus. Definitely not worried about gamma, primitive saddles and no yutyrannus will probably be fine. Beta and alpha, yutyrannus, and probably good saddles. I might use good saddles for gamma if I can get my hands on them, so I won't waste materials and time on saddles that will just be replaced. I will have a dedicated pair, that won't fight or get level-ups, since boss tier rex breeders are more valuable than sloth breeders. The sloths can be forgotten after I fight the alpha broodmother (many will die anyway), but good rexes can fight the megapithicus, manticore, help with element nodes and drops on extinction, maybe even help with the Genesis missions.

Finally, therizinos for dragon. I will DEFINITELY use good saddles, and a yutyrannus, I honestly might lose some on just gamma. I won't farm it at all, just get it killed quick so I can unlock its tek stuff. The many eggs from my rex army will help tame the theris, since I can easily mutton tame a rex, but a berry tamed theri is a bit painful.

Maybe I planned too far ahead...

Edited by DodoRaptor
I said "slapped" instead of slaughtered ?. Really confusing typo!
  • Like 1

I saw a brightly colored blue and red bronto stomping around outside my base and debated if i wanted to risk death and having my base broken down. I risked it and i shot a bunch of tranqs in him and stood there all day and all night taming him. Now he is squished awkwardly in my small enclosure. I then got too brave and tried to go after a alpha raptor to tame him. I was a few feet from my base gates when it killed me. I respawned in the base then came back out with bow and arrows to try again. well he broke 2 of my gates and crashed around in the base. i hate the bronto set to aggressive as well as a high level trike. raptor killed me again. i came back he was gone but no notice of my dinos killing him. so guess he ran and is around somewhere.

• Like 2

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Salem13 said:

I saw a brightly colored blue and red bronto stomping around outside my base and debated if i wanted to risk death and having my base broken down. I risked it and i shot a bunch of tranqs in him and stood there all day and all night taming him. Now he is squished awkwardly in my small enclosure. I then got too brave and tried to go after a alpha raptor to tame him. I was a few feet from my base gates when it killed me. I respawned in the base then came back out with bow and arrows to try again. well he broke 2 of my gates and crashed around in the base. i hate the bronto set to aggressive as well as a high level trike. raptor killed me again. i came back he was gone but no notice of my dinos killing him. so guess he ran and is around somewhere.

You cannot tame alphas.  Only kill them for XP, prime meat, and loot(crossbows and such).

• Like 2

Back home, so back on my servers. Fed the dinos, made some cryopods. I now have 17 magmas and think we're ready for a go on dragon (thank you missions for the ascendant saddle bp). Wavering between doing it on island or Rag, and whether I think we can pull off beta.

Transferred to Rag & started gathering artifacts/tributes (already have them on Island but I want to experience the Ragnarok stuff).  Will wait for the nephews b4 doing any of the dungeons.

Got distracted. Tamed a pink vulture, magenta megalosaur, and a very plain looking 180 mantis.

Hopefully today at least 1 of the kids will be on and we can go after more artifacts.

• Like 1

Haven't done much today... Yet. Didn't even log onto the server where my main character is, just the Crystal Isles one.

Checked on the wyverns (Both sitting in the base! In the same parts where I left them last time! It's really surprising, because Summerwind has a habit of flying out of it when I'm logged off and sit about 20 meters away from the fence, and Hothead (low-level Ember I used to have) was actually lost completely because he flew far away and autodecayed). Checked some beacons and crates (nothing great. Got some gas balls and blue gems, might transfer them to Valguero sometime).

Killed three rexes of varying levels and a level 15 tropical crystal wyvern.

Saw a spino with the color that I really want, but decided against trying to tame it because it was level 15 (I like higher levels, even if just for color), plus my base on CI is very minimal, no kibble farm or anything, as it's not meant for taming anything major that isn't a crystal wyvern.

On Valguero, once I feel like it, I plan to grab a rifle, some narcotics, darts, and kibble, and check lakes and rivers for a good level spino with that one color (it's dark red. Ripe cherry red, really. I used to have those in singleplayer and a screenshot on reddit reminded me of that). No other plans, at least outside of usual "feed-breed-hatch".

• Like 1

Today wasn't bad, but a bit disappointing. I killed three alpha raptors, one of which was near my base and cost me one of the eight dilos I brought over from my old beach shack long ago. I lost a lot of dilos back then, but I thought now that I was past the rough life of hunting on foot with a pack, they'd be safe for the rest of my ark gameplay. They were all named after different adjectives for smart. Poor Witty...

I looked for rexes, sloths, and thylacoleos. The last one isn't necessary for boss beating, but it will help running the Carno Island cave for loot. Not to mention what a great mount they'll be when make it to Scorched. Also checked out baryonyx, a good one of those could help me tame a basi, which I'll inevitably need. Found all of them, but at low levels. Many a thyla was killed by dire bears...

I did find a 130 dire bear, 130 parasaur, 145 bigfoot, and I lied, I did find a good rex. Not important though, since I didn't have it as trapped as I thought, it attacked while I shot at it, my new argentavis attacked, we both escaped, and then we never found it again. I did make a ton of cryopods, and an artifact pedestal, the later of which isn't that important, but it looks cool. I only tried it with hunter, but I also have clever and massive.

• Like 2

Today:

Checked for dark red spinos (no dark red spinos found. No spinos AT ALL found). Found what was probably that one cave with no enemies, some loot and no "no flying" rule that I've heard about, but I didn't go in because there's that sound in it, it's probably just for the mood, but it's creepy and I got too nervous. Maybe I'll check it later. When not carrying anything valuable or riding anything I'm too fond of.

Found pretty decent flak boots in a yellow beacon, great, because I had no boots (I just forgot to make new ones, because boots are an easy to miss detail, unlike, for example, pants).

Saw four quetzals, some pretty okay levels, but I have enough quetzals already.

Bred rexes, put their eggs and old quetz ones into the hatchery, but realized that the breeding rates are back to normal and picked them up. Gonna hatch them later. Probably.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Like 2

Last weekend, after six months of playing solo, I finally found a rex saddle bp in the swamp cave. It is a mastercraft, not perfect, but soooo much better than the primitive stuff I had.  So needless to say I have been doing a lot of grunt work to grind out materials.  And two days ago I finally found a female 150 Therizino, which is an upgrade to the 135 I had with somewhat disappointing stats in a few key categories.  I already had a good  ascendant bp for the therizino saddle but  had not built any yet.  I'm now trying to build a Therizino army for the island dragon and a rex army for the tek cave.  It is so much work for one dude. lol.  And for those of you playing solo and still in early game mode, please take some advice... build a ton of storage closets and start saving your metal, hide, wood, fiber, etc. now.  you will need it later.  My Theri saddles need more than 12k hide each. yikes.

• Like 1

Looked for good dinos, the same types I'd searched for yesterday. Found none, but bigfoot and the bear were still there. In the north, I did find a 150 dire wolf, which I simply couldn't resist. I named him Husky, due to his coat pattern. Also, while taming him aggroed a dimorphodon at that very active spawn just southwest of Whitesky Peak, and was chased by a flock of six until I made it out of render. Agressive little things, aren't they? ?

The wolf turned out good, my base is right by  the south cave, so I tried him out there, and he was amazing. I've always been a sabertooth person, probably because I've only had bad dire wolves, while I have a sabertooth that was 116 wild (before I got the hang of difficulty, that would have been the second best wild level), but now I really like dire wolves. Even though my sabertooth has a saddle that's a bit better than engram quality, the lack of damage reduction doesn't make them any less awesome. They attack so fast, and do such good damage.

I also found three megalainia right away, one was 135. I regret killing it, but I didn't have a choice. I really want a megalainia for the lava cave. I've already done it with a sabertooth, grappling hooks, and at one point the help of a cryopod (I hate thinking about that horrible place, my blood pressure will probably never be the same), but if I have to run it more to farm the broodmother, I have a crazy plan that might actually work, but it requires a megalainia. I'll bring lots of bug repellent, which both of us will wear. We'll try not to to touch anything, as we climb over the lava. If something is in our path, I'll shoot it with a crossbow to get it to fall in. If there are bats, I'm going full shotgun. It could work.

Oh also, right after I got on, I went to my beach shack, and made graves for dinos I've lost, Witty among them. He or she (I'm sorry Witty, I forgot your gender) rests alongside ancients such as my first argentavis and pteranodon.

Edited by DodoRaptor

1 hour ago, Penguin73 said:

Last weekend, after six months of playing solo, I finally found a rex saddle bp in the swamp cave. It is a mastercraft, not perfect, but soooo much better than the primitive stuff I had.  So needless to say I have been doing a lot of grunt work to grind out materials.  And two days ago I finally found a female 150 Therizino, which is an upgrade to the 135 I had with somewhat disappointing stats in a few key categories.  I already had a good  ascendant bp for the therizino saddle but  had not built any yet.  I'm now trying to build a Therizino army for the island dragon and a rex army for the tek cave.  It is so much work for one dude. lol.  And for those of you playing solo and still in early game mode, please take some advice... build a ton of storage closets and start saving your metal, hide, wood, fiber, etc. now.  you will need it later.  My Theri saddles need more than 12k hide each. yikes.

Chainsaws/Theri specced is your best hide friend. If you have the means, Titans give like 8-10k hide or so with a decent chainsaw (level melee damage if you want more yield) and Titans are pretty easy with any giga (bonus if imprinted) just bite and walk backwards. The biggest challenges are: Not getting stomped on (stepped on not stomped - will enrage giga QUICK) and the second challenge: Not over biting once titan is dead and eating body with giga :P

Otherwise if I'm lazy / dont have a chainsaw I'll take two theriz out. One specced melee / power one melee weight delicate. Power theri is mateboost / protection / follower your other theri you ride and headbutt brontos for days. Quick hide. Go down 50/50 river on the island.