So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

29 minutes ago, Cymas said:

@Ohma I meant to post last night but I was tired. Anyway you don't need stamina on boss rexes, just HP and melee. Unridden animals don't use stamina and you'll be riding a yuty, so it's completely unnecessary. Makes breeding that much easier too, which is nice.

@Dinobros2000 I know, I've read almost all of Crichton's books, some many times. :) My favorites are The Lost World and Airframe.

@gamatron332 My rates are also quite boosted, although not as high as yours. Looking for muts isn't too bad because my rexes all have identical stats so I just look for the baby that's 2 levels higher and only check that one for mutations. I eat the rest without looking at them.

Anyway I was really tired after work so I logged in, did a metal run, sat in base while it smelted, then logged off for the night.

Yeah we were trying to get to the point where we had identical pteras for breeding a perfect f and m took a minute though 

Today I decided to once again try tho tame a quetz. After all, now I can aim better and shoot for longer since instead of parachutin'&shootin' I can comfortable and more-or-less steadily stand on Wildfire's back.

I took enough (IF I shoot relatively well. Unfortunately, my aim isn't that great) darts and narcotics, grabbed all the exceptional kibble I have (bit over 30. Won't get me anything great, but I'm fine with just something usable), some parachutes, some dodo eggs for snack, and my 203% longneck.

SO I searched for a bit, saw a 145 giga and same level alpha rex, and in the end found a level 15 male quetz.

Perfect, a level that low actually has a chance of getting tamed before one or both of the level 145 menaces find us.

I shoot, and shoot, and shoot.

Hit about 6 times.

Ran out of darts.

Quetz is literally one dart short of being knocked out, at least if Dododex' info is correct.

Back to the base I go.

More darts are made, and this time I also grabbed some tranq arrows and a 180-something% crossbow. Then back to the quetz.

The rex and giga, apparently, were dealt with while I was away. Great!

I find the quetz again, shoot-shoot-shoot, you know how it goes.

And then it's finally knocked out!

Falls in water.

Drowns.

Damn.

Also, finished raising my hope of getting my rexes right. I'm talking about the second health-first melee mutated female duo.

I named the health one Ella and the melee one Tilla. Already mated them to my old, non-mutated breeding male Jotunn.

Hope the offspring inherits Ella and Tilla's stats. Also hope that one would be male, and another - female, to quicker get both health mutations and the melee one onto one, hopefully male dino.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Haha 1

Since this post is now unhidden, I'll change it into a description of events that followed the previous one.

So.

My wish about baby tek rexes getting Tillas and Ellas respective mutations? Came true! And so did my wish for them to be different genders: Tillas egg hatched into twin males (only kept one, as I only need one), Ellas - into a female. So instead of breeding them with Jotunn repeatedly I just have to raise the babies from the first attempt, get a male baby that inherits all the right stats, and just like that my tek rexes will be upgraded. Now that Tilla, Ella and Jotunn are no longer needed, I froze them (no need to kill them - effort went into the girls, and they're named dinos! I don't kill those unless they're really crappy and I desperately need the space, and that's not the case).

Also, tamed a female Ember Crystal (level 90 pre-tame, okay melee, sorta acceptable health, the rest of stats, to be honest, aren't great) and transferred her to Valguero. Named her Topaz because she is very yellow, but I'm not naming a giant fire-breathing lizard "Lemon" or "Banana". It's unlikely that I'll breed them (the primal crystal thing and all... Ehh. Maybe if I ever tame a daeodon), but decided that it never hurts to have a pair for my breedables even if I got no plans for them.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
It was an useless duplicate of the previous post. Now it's not!
  • Like 1

I had my hardest taming experience ever this morning: dunkleosteus. I did all the research beforehand. Watched youtube videos claiming how easy it is and tested on single player using admin commands. Practised building the taming pen. Ok good to go.

I grabbed 400 tranq arrow, 5 crossbows 20 Lazarus Chowder (Im mid level so no scuba gear) and went to look for mutton. Found some in the Highlands and put the meat in the fridge. Easy.

Time spent: 30min

I jumped on my Ichty and started looking for dunkies. After an hour of searching, I had located 5 dunkies, all below level 60. Then finally found a 145 male.

Time spent: 1h30min

I proceeded to build a taming pen using pillarsand a gate at the bottom of the ocean. Then I tried to get its attention. Shooting arrows didn't work. Biting its ass didn't work. Rare flowers didn't work. It just kept on swimming. There were some low level females that did aggro and pretty easily. I decided to ditch the taming pen and tranq it out in the open. Bad idea! 

Eels kept messing things up. All the megalodons in the ocean seemed to want to take a bite of me. Every time I ran out of oxygen, I had a hard time finding the dunky again. I almost died of hunger and hypothermia because the deep ocean is freezing and I consumed tons of food all the time.  Then finally it falls! 

380 tranq arrows spent

4 crossbows used

17 Lazarus Chowder used

Sweat and tears.

Time spent: 2h30min

Total time overall: 4h30min to tame a simple pixel fish in a computer game.

Was it worth it? It remains to be seen. I froze the dunky and hid it because I dont want some trigger happy griefer to kill it on the first day.

What will happen most likely? Someone raids my base while I am at work and all this effort went to waste. Oh the joys of official pvp ark. But at least I did it.

Edited by JJacky
  • Like 1

Tamed a daeodon. Named him Hamish. Cryoed him for the time being, uncryoed my baby blood crystal wyvern, if, once she runs out of food she was born with, I manage to keep her alive anyway with Hamish's help, then I guess me breeding wyverns will happen. If not - well, having a daeodon is better than NOT having one anyway!

Another event of this fine day: I just tamed a quetz! Went and tamed him! Knocked him out, almost not missing shots (only hit my wyv instead two times, which is great because I was using shock darts this time, so hitting him more would be really bad), and he landed not in water, not in front of a predator, but into the safety of some player's base, where only wild dinos were a few stegos and gallies. The quetz himself was a wild level 20, male, with weight of 896, which, as I checked with both another player and, later, with dododex, is okay for that level, so it isn't even a bad quetz. His name is now Skylord.

And another thing! The massive lag-factory of a base near mine finally decayed! I can ride around! I can fly! Now just the normal server lagginess (mostly tolerable) instead of that+lagginess of being near a massive building(NOT tolerable. a literal slideshow. 10 minute meatruns turned into half-hour meat stutter-crawls)! I left a bilboard there with a text on it, asking whoever settles there next to not build a massive lagfactory. Will people listen to me? Maybe not, but at least this time won't feel like the lags I'm experiencing are my fault due to not even trying to ask them to tone it down.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

I find leaving billboards on public servers only serves to make people more likely to do whatever you're telling them not to do. Ark players are very passive aggressive when they aren't outright aggressive.

Took a 2 day break from Ark this week, I just did not want to deal with the grind.

Hopped on last week to find unfortunately I have lost more metal node spawns. This is why I've kind of put off grinding for saddles so much. This bug is extremely frustrating. I can't use the blue ob mountain to farm metal anymore, it doesn't have enough nodes left. The volcano isn't much better.

Off to the Frozen Tooth, with its boon of rich metal nodes that filled my anky twice over. Then I waited, and waited, and waited for the respawns so I could go to bed. Even with my respawn timer halved after 3 hours the rich nodes had not respawned. I couldn't stay awake any longer as I have work today so I went to bed. I'll adjust my settings again today and hope I can make do with whatever metal I have left. There's still Far's Peak but that's very far out from my west coast base.

Honestly I'm debating after I move to Scorched Earth and get settled in there if I shouldn't just transfer whatever dinos I want to keep and wipe The Island map. If I ever go back on it I'll start fresh and build a new base. My character has all the important data and I could easily bring whatever survives The Overseer. I don't really need much else from this map.

Not that I really intend to go back but my goal was always after defeating the story maps to play more like a standard cluster and bounce around between the maps/bases as I pleased. I do have plans to rebuild my original base on The Island, the Arkanus, now that I have the capability to build it to its full potential. I built the first one before Tek tier, before frogs or beavers were even a thing. Building a metal base when you had to grind the paste was pure torture. But I was the only one who didn't freak out about the first Dodorex event because I was the only one on that server with a metal base and a proper perimeter fence. Always kinda makes me laugh that so many PVE players, especially on unofficials, never bother to build their bases properly.

Now the more I think about it the more I'm thinking, once I defeat the King Titan I may, just maybe, wipe every map, keeping only my character, my best dinos and gear and whatever Tek I've made, and then start everything else fresh. I plan to move to Crystal Isles as my home map afterwards anyway. I'll have good utility dinos by then, I've adjusted my settings over time to suit me and play around these stupid bugs. And then I'll have a nice set of clean maps, cull all of the random or unnecessary tames I've accumulated over time and start fresh everywhere with literally everything from every map at my disposal. The more I think about it the more I like this idea.

But that still means finishing The Island and the long slog continues. Syntac really downplayed just how much of a grind this first map really is.

2 hours ago, Cymas said:

I find leaving billboards on public servers only serves to make people more likely to do whatever you're telling them not to do. Ark players are very passive aggressive when they aren't outright aggressive.

The players on the server I'm on are mostly chill and friendly. Might actually listen. Plus, a massive lagfactory is a massive lagfactory. As in, a huge, almost fully painted cube stuffed to the brim with gigas and rexes, and with approximately 3 more tek gates than they ever actually used. Unlike anything on the server (and I've seen most, if not all bases on the server, so I know what I'm talking about) in both design and the way all of its growling, heavily mutated contents were concentrated in a relatively small space, rather than being spread in a way that doesn't load all at once and therefore doesn't cause nearly as much lag. Chances are, my next neighbor wouldn't be into that style of a base either way.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

9 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

The players on the server I'm on are mostly chill and friendly. Might actually listen. Plus, a massive lagfactory is a massive lagfactory. As in, a huge, almost fully painted cube stuffed to the brim with gigas and rexes, and with approximately 3 more tek gates than they ever actually used. Unlike anything on the server (and I've seen most, if not all bases on the server, so I know what I'm talking about) in both design and the way all of its growling, heavily mutated contents were concentrated in a relatively small space, rather than being spread in a way that doesn't load all at once and therefore doesn't cause nearly as much lag. Chances are, my next neighbor wouldn't be into that style of a base either way.

The spread out load of a big base is worse. Takes longer than one huge chunk.

Let's get this topic up to the top. Too much negativity on the forums today

12 hours ago, d1nk said:

The spread out load of a big base is worse. Takes longer than one huge chunk.

I estimate the lagginess by how much trouble it causes me specifically. Bases of comparable or even larger size, that are stretched on a big territory cause me some manageable stuttering (checked repeatedly during quetz hunts, plenty of big bases with lots of dinos in that place, I can fly around normally, even when low above them), that ultra-concentrated mess had me sometimes being stuck in place for about 5 seconds or longer at a time, meaning I had to venture out farther than normal from my base to be able to hunt without having to guess every time whether it's just a long stutter,  or if the game froze for good.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Thanks 1

I have recently returned to Ark because my 10yo son has been expressing interest in it. So we have started in the base game on The Island just like I started years ago. We are just playing non-dedicated while he learns but he is a quick learner.
I jacked up some of the rates of course, may have overdone the taming rate as he only used one berry to tame a low level Moschops which he then named Berry. And he was thirlled that he could ride it without a saddle. Then when I asked him to gather Narco berries he thought the gather rate was amazing until a Trike I tamed later showed him a much better rate lol.
There was a funny moment early on when he was attacking Dilos and my 7yo daughter yells at him not to do that just in case their mother was nearby. She thought they were baby dinos.

So far the tether distance is a bit of a pain (we are playing the gamepass version since I only have the one PC and a few Xbox Ones) but we have a Trike and a Parasaur and of course my sons Moschops and I keep upgrading our hut for storage, soon we will be able to get exploring and taming some of the more difficult tames.
I am really enjoying getting back to the basics of the game and sharing the experience with someone that is experiencing it for the first time.

• Like 3

Today in ark I've decided to finally prepare for taking out the gamma bosses at last. Have some great rexes, but stopped at 5/40 health mutations for now and decided to just wing it since it's only the Gammas. Took me about 3 days to breed and grow Rexes in total, and now I'm just doing the artifacts. Once the artifacts are complete will go and hit the Broodmother first. Will most likely skip dragon for now, till i get saddles most likely. I REALLY WANT TO EXPLORE THE OCEAN and farm rex saddle BPs down there. Dead island farming is not working out too well for me.

Wish me luck FOLKS! ❤️

• Like 1

@Ohma Underwater loot drops don't drop rex saddle BPs. The best place to get them on The Island, in my experience anyway, is farming the Swamp Cave for red drops. You can fit a megatherium in there with cryopod help but I've always done it with a baryonyx. Make sure you have a good gun for the arthros and keep a spare set of armor on you though. Or two. Honestly I set up a whole outpost right at the cave entrance for repairing armor and as a respawn point in case of death.

So for myself I finally managed to fix the resource respawn bug on single player. Just setting it to 0.10 and spending some time in the affected areas is enough to trigger the respawns on the formerly dead nodes. Unfortunately it does make it kind of cheaty since that's basically unlimited resources. But it's either that or the game slowly becomes unplayable as I run out of resource nodes to farm so...there's literally nothing I can do to play around that otherwise.

Since last night I've been endlessly farming mats for all these saddles. Having a really good bp is nice, but the cost is almost too steep. Now that my metal situation is sorted I'm being bottlenecked by the hide. The wolves are great for this of course, but there's a limit to how fast we can kill everything and then waiting on respawns, and wolves don't have the highest carry weight either so I'm somewhat limited to hunting around the base. Which is fine, the mosh pit/carno point is alive and kicking all day every day, but still. Not the most exciting way to spend the weekend.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cymas said:

@Ohma Underwater loot drops don't drop rex saddle BPs. The best place to get them on The Island, in my experience anyway, is farming the Swamp Cave for red drops. You can fit a megatherium in there with cryopod help but I've always done it with a baryonyx. Make sure you have a good gun for the arthros and keep a spare set of armor on you though. Or two. Honestly I set up a whole outpost right at the cave entrance for repairing armor and as a respawn point in case of death.

Hey thanks for telling me! I appreciate the insight! I completely thought wrong. Im about to go fight the Gamma Broodmom as I write this :D

@JJacky ummmm how did it take 2 hours, and 300 tranqs? I tamed a lev 60 with 30 tranqs and an icky, no scuba, and a 125% cross...I find it easy to stay JUST above the area they wolnt go above, and shoot down. Easy! Right? I never even tried a trap... jelly’s and o2 are annoying, but an icky is very fast, and a few levels into o2 and your fine.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:21 AM, Cymas said:

So for myself I finally managed to fix the resource respawn bug on single player. Just setting it to 0.10 and spending some time in the affected areas is enough to trigger the respawns on the formerly dead nodes. Unfortunately it does make it kind of cheaty since that's basically unlimited resources. But it's either that or the game slowly becomes unplayable as I run out of resource nodes to farm so...there's literally nothing I can do to play around that otherwise.

Since last night I've been endlessly farming mats for all these saddles. Having a really good bp is nice, but the cost is almost too steep. Now that my metal situation is sorted I'm being bottlenecked by the hide. The wolves are great for this of course, but there's a limit to how fast we can kill everything and then waiting on respawns, and wolves don't have the highest carry weight either so I'm somewhat limited to hunting around the base. Which is fine, the mosh pit/carno point is alive and kicking all day every day, but still. Not the most exciting way to spend the weekend.

Do you have access to a chainsaw? If not- Theris? Go out hunting with two theirs, mate boosted one specced for hide the other (for hide too if u want extra) but mainly as your combat tame. Your other one will be shredding while you headbutt Brontos for tonnes of hide.

Today I did a very small meatrun, a tiny (just the bushes within the base) berry run, took eggs from dodos and bred my moschops, hatching eggs to about half and putting them in the fridge for later.

I was very much in the mood to do a big meatrun or maybe just fly around the map, but my connection is being awful lately, so it's better not to leave the base's safety without need (except on a throwaway dino, but I don't have those. Every dino matters, even if I never use it).

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
Typos and misspellings
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

Today I did a very small meatrun, a tiny (just the bushes within the base) berry run, took eggs from dodos and bred my moschops, hatching eggs to about half and putting them in the fridge for later.

I was very much in the mood to do a big meatrun or maybe just fly around the map, but my connection is being awful lately, so it's better not to leave the base's safety without need (except on a throwavay dino, but I don't have those. Evry dino matters, even if I never use it).

What if, instead of a "throwaway" dino you tame a specific use dino for this purpose. A tanky gatherer that's purpose is to survive if u DC for those megatron times, no exp waste :D A bear would be good, can harvest it all and insulates your character so you can be naked no risk. Otherwise a theriz 

@Ohma No problem, I almost made the same mistake myself. The underwater loot drops use the same loot table as the SE desert drops. The wiki has lists of what's in each beacon if you need to double check for a specific BP.

@d1nk Unfortunately chainsaws are Scorched Earth engrams and it probably wouldn't help with the sheer quantity I need right now anyway. I have one theri but I mostly use it for fiber gathering, since these saddles also need a toooon of fiber. I'm glad I went with rexes for the bosses, I can never find any theris with decent stats.

What I do have, however, is Heartbreaker, my Valentine's giga. It doesn't really matter how efficient he is at gathering hide when he's efficient at killing literally everything on the map, up to and including a marauding 145 alpha rex that was up the nearby river. So we spent some of the tail end of last night and most of today walking up and down the volcano river slaughtering everything on both sides. Once I gathered enough for a saddle we would return to base, build the saddle, cryo the newly equipped rex, empty his inv and then head back out again. Not that I really needed to keep much but I've been stocking jerky for some of the event stuff so cooking more meat wouldn't go amiss.

In our many journeys across the map we also came across some very nice things. First, a high level doed notable for having 32 points in weight, which was my current high roll at the time. You bet I got one of my argents, grabbed the doed and brought it home to tame. Stood up with an impressive 47 points in weight, a full 15 above my previous high roll. Oh man I can't wait to work that into my line. Weight is so critical for utility dinos and I feel like I never find doeds with good weight so this is awesome. I know it seems kind of silly at the tail end of this map but as I continue playing using my own transfer rules I'll be able to bring the line with me and hopefully continue to improve it along the way.

Second, we found a unicorn. No, literally. The last one I found was just its body ragdolling on carno island. This one was in one of the swampy borderland areas but we killed its attackers, then I went and got my argent again to carry it to the taming pen. It was calm by the time we dropped it in and I was able to tame it in complete safety. Crap level but it doesn't exactly matter for a literal trophy tame. So that's cool.

I also spent some time underwater and got extremely lucky with both an alpha leed and an alpha tuso, giving me the final two apex drops I need for the Overseer and most importantly, the captain's hat skin. Found an underwater drop and got an asc tropeo saddle, woo lol. I can use that 6 maps from now, exciting.

And I started building my staging platform in the volcano crater to make it easier to arrange my battle lines and gear prep, etc.

All in all a very productive weekend. I'm far from done but significant progress has me feeling quite confident, honestly. I've got 9 saddles left to make, then transporting the army up to the volcano. I haven't turned on my replicator since I built it, waiting until I'm completely ready to craft everything I want in order to conserve element. Trying to figure out what I need for gear and scraping together the last few things. I need a good pump-action shotgun bp, a yuty saddle bp would be ideal. I have excellent fur armor already. I'm debating on if I should build 1 or 2 sets of Tek armor. I'll be doing a few more metal runs for ammo and all that too, I also ran sooo much metal this weekend and have enough for all the saddles if nothing else.

I did briefly have to shut down for a thunderstorm and came back to find I was missing water texture which was a really weird experience. Got that fixed and decided to call it a day. I'll plan my course of action for the week with the expectation of finally, finally taking on the Overseer this coming weekend, probably Sunday. Not going to lie I'm pushing it a little more than I had planned in large part because I would really love to start Scorched Earth in time to maybe get some wyverns with event colors.

Side note maybe I'm a little too nerdy but I keep a bullet journal just for gaming and it's 90% Ark notes lol. I'm legit considering doing a spread to plan this whole week out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, d1nk said:

What if, instead of a "throwaway" dino you tame a specific use dino for this purpose. A tanky gatherer that's purpose is to survive if u DC for those megatron times, no exp waste :D A bear would be good, can harvest it all and insulates your character so you can be naked no risk. Otherwise a theriz 

Getting a bear would require taking the risk of going far from my base. Same with getting a decent theri (the three I have are okay for gathering resources, but won't be able to survive an encounter with a serious enemy). So it's better if I just stick to a short circle on a wyvern around the base for meat and in-base ride on whatever herbivore is closest for berries when the connection's bad. Though it seems to be okay right now, so if that continues I might be able to return to big meatruns and long aimless flights on my wyvern instead of "on-feed dinos-off".

Today in ARK:

Due to being very happy about my internet connection working properly again I took my Tropical Crystal wyvern Skysoul for a bit of a joy-flight... Which was cut short by a wild 85 female quetz.

Then I very quickly went back to the base, grabbed all the supplies, built a fresh trap on Skylord's back (I demolished the old one because I was absolutely sure that I won't find a wild quetz for taming on a distance that I'm willing to fly on such a slow flyer), flew back, and luckily the wildie hasn't flied too far away!

So I got Skylord into position, she flew into the trap, I closed it with a few thatch doorframes and proceeded to tranq the quetz.

I'm taming her right now. She has 1720 stam which, if Dododex is to be believed, is absolutely awesome. The rest of the stats are fairly mediocre, but that stam...

Edited by AllOfTheAllos