So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

dang my story jsut got deleted.... guess ill retype.

so yesterday started with a plan and a will to follow through. me and Era are working on taming an argent so that we could increase the metal we are harvesting. any how i had started to kite a couple of argents over to the base(note here this is important we didn't have a trap yet) while Era started to craft tranqs. got the argent over near the base and we both started tranqing them. well after about 3 deaths and 20 mins later we decided we were getting nowhere. i quickli ground out a trap but the argents wouldn't go in. the entire time Era is still tranqing the argents and they start running at the same time, but in different directions. we decided to go after the higher lvl one but rigght before we took off i had to go. leaving the argent in Eras hands i logged and headed out to work on our boat. later i get the text that a titanoboa had nearly killed Era and he had lsot the argent.  poo.

the next day (today) me and Era decided to try yet again for an argent but be prepared this time. i built a trap he farmed tranq darts and in no time we were sitting pretty with our taming set. i set out to find another good argent and Era went to get some metal. after about 15 mins i was heading back without an argent in tow but Era had spotted one. Era and i went out together again to try and tame said argent. the trapping and knocking went well (being prepared helps some) but right as i had gotten some prime i hit the argent with  a barrel roll from my ptera and knocked a good 35% taming effect off .:( we set the argent up to tame and then went to see if we could find some blue gems as we wanted glider suits. Era went north and i went south. I found a griffin trench and it had all varieties of gems so i went in to try and get them. i don't know if they are glitched or are just meant to be pretty but i could pick them!! deciding that the nest might work i flew up to one , hopped of my ptera , and proceded to fall to my death... thank you fully imprinted pteradon ?. any how i spawned back with the idea to breed up new pteradon an as im spawning i hear a rex roar... now we had rexes spawn nearby before but not this close and never such a high lvl. after a hard battle our valiant trike killed the behemoth but not before losing our trusty phioma. after that i hatched 2 pterodons and logged. Era will finish raising them and imprinting so that we can try again next time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 8/9(non-cinematic): I was venturing off to find some high carry weight tames for metal runs, found a diplodocus, started taming, Therizino ran into Bazoka my p-don, another Therizino joined in, I died, came back with eaglet. Fought and we died, ended up taming the diplo, and killing the Therizinos, went to get more argys cus that was my only one, couldn’t find bazoka body for his saddle and stuff. Anyway, got three new argys, named Beta, Birdie, and Flaming Blood(cus he had orange feather tips and crimson feathers) came back, failed taming a doed and the weird trike thing that has hormones.

• Like 1

Tamed a 88 f tropical (blue everything, green fins) and a 73 m tropical (green everything, blue fins) for breeding. And a level 29 male tropical to keep on Crystal Isles because it never hurts to have a fast mount.

Bred my blood crystal wyvs.

Discovered that despite what official wiki says, regular crystals can't be used to raise babies (can be eaten, but give no food), so into the fridge the baby went, and I guess all four wyvs are now for just riding, not for breeding, because the whole reason for trying to breed them was "Hey! Wiki states I can just feed them that easily obtainable material, instead of doing milk... Err, Primal Crystal runs, which are one of the main things discouraging me from getting a normal wyvern!"

Tamed a female unicorn, level 69, so I'm not leveling her EVER.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, gamatron332 said:

the next day (today) me and Era decided to try yet again for an argent but be prepared this time. i built a trap he farmed tranq darts and in no time we were sitting pretty with our taming set. i set out to find another good argent and Era went to get some metal. after about 15 mins i was heading back without an argent in tow but Era had spotted one. Era and i went out together again to try and tame said argent. the trapping and knocking went well (being prepared helps some) but right as i had gotten some prime i hit the argent with  a barrel roll from my ptera and knocked a good 35% taming effect off .:( we set the argent up to tame and then went to see if we could find some blue gems as we wanted glider suits. Era went north and i went south. I found a griffin trench and it had all varieties of gems so i went in to try and get them. i don't know if they are glitched or are just meant to be pretty but i could pick them!! deciding that the nest might work i flew up to one , hopped of my ptera , and proceded to fall to my death... thank you fully imprinted pteradon ?. any how i spawned back with the idea to breed up new pteradon an as im spawning i hear a rex roar... now we had rexes spawn nearby before but not this close and never such a high lvl. after a hard battle our valiant trike killed the behemoth but not before losing our trusty phioma. after that i hatched 2 pterodons and logged. Era will finish raising them and imprinting so that we can try again next time.

What map you on, and where? I mean rexes and argys spawn near you? That might be a part of your problems. Why do you have phiomia?? For the poo? Why was it fighting? Also on my settings, I find lower level creatures, and my cross is 125% so I can shoot argys have them come closer, perfect for shorting purposes and they normally KO on the second shot, and if they don’t, they run and the third gets them so I tamed three in 30 minutes on the island at that mountin up right near carno island.

3 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

What map you on, and where? I mean rexes and argys spawn near you? That might be a part of your problems. Why do you have phiomia?? For the poo? Why was it fighting? Also on my settings, I find lower level creatures, and my cross is 125% so I can shoot argys have them come closer, perfect for shorting purposes and they normally KO on the second shot, and if they don’t, they run and the third gets them so I tamed three in 30 minutes on the island at that mountin up right near carno island.

Crystal isle; 60,40. Yes they do but not normally so close. The phiomia is for our farms and 2 dung beetles. Because we have(had) 10 dinos and we needed all the fire power. ( it was a 212 rex) we wanted a higher lvl argent and the ones we were taming yesterday were 132 and 205...

• Like 1

Highly productive day today.

Started with a metal run, I need to start stockpiling again.

Also made 30 more cryopods for the rest of the army.

Then I got straight into my chair to stockpile eggs. Throughout the course of the day I came back periodically to level rexes. I managed to get a full dozen leveled, I could have pushed for one more but eh, I don't feel like it.

I also spent a considerable part of the afternoon breeding my wolves. I'm in the final stages of putting the stats and colors together so with some luck by the end of tomorrow I should have a fully imprinted pack to go sniff out Explorer Notes with. I'll do that after the Overseer since I'll need the exp, part of the cleanup before moving to the next map.

Slowly getting closer to finishing The Island. Honestly I don't think I'm ever going to play on it as my main map again. I've spent more than enough time on here.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gamatron332 said:

Crystal isle; 60,40. Yes they do but not normally so close. The phiomia is for our farms and 2 dung beetles. Because we have(had) 10 dinos and we needed all the fire power. ( it was a 212 rex) we wanted a higher lvl argent and the ones we were taming yesterday were 132 and 205...

Umm maybe consider living somewhere more..... tame,... before going somewhere where argys and rexes spawn, also consider an eco closure for your dinos, even if it’s thatch, wild dinos can’t see.

Day 10: scouted out an area that looked promising for some new resources, no luck. Then just built a small taming pen, and started working on a watchtower, it’s coming along well! Also tamed a doed finally! He has a saddle too! Rode some argys around for EX and ker/cit too. Good day but not much too talk about only to see! Can anyone tell me where the crystals and obi are? In the picture below I marked a red circle where the wiki says that has crystal and obi, the black circle is my home, so where are the crystals, I looked for like 20 minuets.(souther inlets on the island)
CADE61BE-FEF8-4A94-A533-A34830C2E1C0.thumb.jpeg.5932132d95c9da1918248a484618b06b.jpeg

• Haha 1

Went to the Fire swamp to get a high level Ember crystal wyvern, because the meant-for-breeding-but-re-purposed-for-riding Tropical one is really fun, but not great, and I decided that I need a wyvern just for riding that IS great. I wanted a male, because 1. I like the first dino of species to be male, and 2. Because I used to have a male Ember in singleplayer that was named Wildfire, so I wanted to have new Wildfire - now on server.

All the male wyvs were low-level (like 15-20, not even any 25), but I went all the way there and I wasn't going to give up, so I settled on a level 145 female, really pretty too. Successfully tamed her, named her Magma. She had over 300% melee, okay stamina, good health - the only bad stat was weight. Then I spotted him. Level 135. Beautiful colors (well, the crystals could be a tad move vibrant, and the fins looked weird beige-yellow, but other than that...).

I landed near him, jumped from Magma's head onto his back, fed him the first crystal, and up we went, Magma following like the good girl she was, since it would be very hard to find and Ember wyvern in the Fire swamp, as she would blend in way too well.

At about 40% taming he flew close to the volcano.

Flew around some.

Then hit it.

I fell to my fiery death.

He flew away.

When I came back for him and Magma on one of the now two low level tropicals I keep on the isles (the first one. His name is Lilac Wind, by the way, he's light purple. The other one is a green-blue female named Summerwind), I found my body, but didn't see Magma anywhere.

I checked the log.

Turns out, she followed me like the good girl she was.

Later I found Summerwind who I failed to whistle follow when I was taming Magma, and all three of us went after that male, because now that he was the reason for two deaths, one of them permanent, I just HAD to get him.

I found him, jumped, fed, everything was fine, at about 30% he flew near the floating isles, flew INTO one, and knocked me off his back. Luckily, I had some parachutes this time. He flew away while I was trying to mount one of my wyverns. I looked for him, and looked and looked.

But I didn't find him.

I found a level 90-something male and tamed him because at least I would have that. Named him Hothead, because he wasn't awesome enough in neither stats nor colors to be Wildfire.

And the  I found HIM. That one, almost-fully-gorgeous colors and all.

Miraculously, he still had a little bit of taming progress left. No, I don't know how, either.

Jumped on, fed, we went into the skies, now three whole wyverns following us.

He flew high and he flew low, near floating isles, near the volcano, sometimes hitting trees and rocks, sometimes going so close to the water, that it felt like he tries to go into it, but this time I didn't fall. This time I really tamed him. The effectiveness wasn't great, 80-something instead of a bit over 90 that I had on Magma, but he is mine now. Wildfire is now mine, he lives on Valguero, and I love him despite his role in Magmas death. As for his ugly fins... Turned out it was just because of lighting in the Fire swamp. Under the sun of Valguero they turned out to be a nice orange color.

On a less epic note, I got a pair of moschops to breed just for fun, and I finally got a second health mutation and the first ever melee mutation on my tek rexes. Both are on females, so I'll have to get those mutations onto the same, preferably male tek rex, and I guess I'll have to unfreeze my old, wild-tame breeding male for them to not uselessly increase the counter on their offspring by making their health-mutated dad breed with them.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos
Tons of typos (that's why I don't normally write this long!)
  • Like 1

It's the next mountain over @Dinobros2000  to the east.

Another shockingly productive day.

First, I finally finished leveling the rex army. That was a grind and a half and I really wish I had thought to boost the kill exp way earlier. Well, live and learn. They're all done now and I leveled the yutys up too, I purposely bred them first to let them accumulate passive exp. Knew I wasn't going to give them a lot of melee, in fact none at all so that was the next best thing.

I also bred my wolves and managed to get a melee mutation. Nice. It took awhile to get where I wanted with this little project but I am rather proud of my new pack. Here they are:

20200621150331_1.thumb.jpg.97390ab019ef60684b31723c87130ede.jpg

The colors came mostly from another lucky leftover Valentine's Day find and then some more lucky color transfers turned color morph. I'm calling them my "Chaotic Direwolves" since my tribe name is Chaos Theory, from The Lost World novel. If you've only ever seen the movie, the book is well worth a read.

After all that work as you can imagine I was rather fatigued so I decided to do one metal run then take a break from grinding.

Took my wyvern, Cyanea, out for a nice ltitle flight. Amusingly we can't even kill an alpha raptor because my Island character doesn't get the full benefits of the imprint and it just isn't a strong wyvern. But that's fine. I came across a high level otter and tamed it up just to have.

Then after quite a struggle I tamed a pair of dolphins. I had one but piranhas killed it awhile ago. So I tamed a pair and bred them and now have one growing up, that will be my scout for underwater drops as I noticed there are some BPs I'm missing that would be extremely helpful to have.

Finally, I started grinding out saddles. I was only able to make 3 before I ran out of metal. 18 to go...

Obviously that's going to be my next big goal. My anky can hold just enough raw metal to build one saddle per metal run. But with the single player resource respawn glitch, I'm going to have to be careful with my limited time during the week. I'll probably change my respawns too to try to mitigate that problem, it's so frustrating. I don't want easy mode but permanently despawned resource nodes is an issue, I've already lost some good metal spots to that particularly aggravating bug.

So yeah, lots more grinding in my immediate future. Sigh.

• Like 2

Currently starting my Rex breeds for boss fights. Got extremely good stats for most rexes I tamed. 1 Female 10,500 Health, 1 Female 2300 stamina,  1 male with 401% dmg. I havent decided if I want to do mutations right now as it'll take an extreme amount of time investment. Will probably just take well leveled Rexes for the gamma fights and save the base rexes on cryo so i can breed more If i want to.

20200621212837_1.jpg

• Like 2

Scorched Earth, private server, two of us...

After our spectacular failure in the Tek Cave, Flont and I decided to move on to Scorched Earth without defeating the Gamma Overseer.  We will go back and defeat it after we get over the painful tedium of building up on The Island, perhaps after we have conquered Scorched Earth.

First, I spent a few days figuring out how to create a cluster so that we could transfer our survivors from The Island to Scorched Earth.  I have build a 8 core/16 thread Linux server with plenty of memory to run several worlds at once.  The Island was taking up a little over 6 GB of RAM near the end when we had lots of bases and dinos.  Adding an instance of Scprched Earth took up another 3 GB and I have 32 GB total.  After figuring out all of the IP port firewall and router port forwarding stuff, I discovered that there is a glitch in the Linus Server Ark sorftware that will not recognize a second server on the same IP range (I guess some people run two separate servers in two different places or use Windows).  I am sticking with Linux since my server has not crashed once in the two years that I have been running Ark (and several other games) on it.  The workaround is to force your router to forward local IP addresses out to the internet in a loopback mode.  Unfortunately, my router does not support this loopback mode.  I debated going to a virtual machine setup with separate VLANs creating two different IP ranges on my home network, but I figured out how to upload my survivor from The Island to the shared cluster folder then bring down The Island and then bring up Scorched Earth and download my survivor there.  I had envisioned having both up so that we could hop back and forth as need, but now we will just leave The Island turned off and dormant and just run Scorched Earth for a while.

We have been on Scorched Earth for a few days now and here are my observations:

Sanstorms are surviveable, but it really is better to be inside during one.  They drain all of your stamina and you cannot run and you cannot see far at all.  It is easy to get lost unless you are good with navigating while staring at your map and then you might run into big dinos before you can see them.  Jerboas will start chirping when a sandstorm or a "Super Heat" event is coming soon.  Get back to your base while you can still find it.

The "Super Heat" events are not quite what I imagined.  It increases the temperature 20-30 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.  If it is at night when it is cool and the temperature is increased from 65 to 95, it is not too much of an issue.  I have yet to experience a "Super Heat" event in the middle of the day when it is already 125, but I imagine it will cause immediate heat stroke if you are not in a protected area.  Heat stroke also drains stamina and I suppose it might kill if you ignored it, but I have not stayed out when in a heat stroke condition (I returned to base and stood in the cooler adobe base until I was no longer stroking).

Adobe is definitely the best building material for shielding you from heat.  We have built a stone wall around our adobe base to protect it from bigger dinos.  Before we built the wall, I had a Terror Bird try to chew through the adobe and it did not hurt it but I do not want to try that with a Rex (there are Rexes near our area).  Also I use it as a dino pen, as we had a wandering Carno kill all of the dinos that we had tamed that were outside of our base.

Moths (Lymantria) are the quickest cheapest flyers and serve the purpose of Pteranodons from The Island, except they are really not useful for combat.  The Argies seem to be up on "Mountains", so the Moths are what i have to work with at the moment.  When you trap a Moth, watch out for the stun spray.  It will slow you down for 5 seconds or so, letting the Moth escape.  I would advise using a bola to catch the Moth first.  I am not sure if you can kite one into a trap since they are non-aggressive.

Edited by Stretch11
typos
  • Like 1

@Cymas Thanks! Also it is a very good book, so is Jurassic Park and Timeline, I’d suggest to read them too! They differ greatly from the movie so it is still very intresting and isn’t like you know what will happen. 

Day 10: leveled my argy Flaming blood a little, planning on 10 stam, 10 weight, 15 health, and the rest melee. Worked on my watchtower a little, I’ll try to include a pic soon but I don’t know how to make the image “smaller”. Then I saved up some materials for the grapling flare gun!(a mod) and its like a infinite grapling hook, infinite flare with gravity physics, and infinite glow sticks! Awesome, it costs 40 crystals 400 sparkpowder 100 gunpowder and some nothings. Did parkore for an hour! Then decided to work on the watch tower again. Not much to tell not much was done.

29 minutes ago, Stretch11 said:

I am not sure if you can kite one into a trap since they are non-aggressive

Eat a rare flower, run into the trap, hope it manages to properly follow and  that it doesn't dust you (it'll try), and that nothing too dangerous aggroes on you because of the flower. Works with most dinos, not just moths.

Edited by AllOfTheAllos

On 6/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, gamatron332 said:

dang my story jsut got deleted.... guess ill retype.

so yesterday started with a plan and a will to follow through. me and Era are working on taming an argent so that we could increase the metal we are harvesting. any how i had started to kite a couple of argents over to the base(note here this is important we didn't have a trap yet) while Era started to craft tranqs. got the argent over near the base and we both started tranqing them. well after about 3 deaths and 20 mins later we decided we were getting nowhere. i quickli ground out a trap but the argents wouldn't go in. the entire time Era is still tranqing the argents and they start running at the same time, but in different directions. we decided to go after the higher lvl one but rigght before we took off i had to go. leaving the argent in Eras hands i logged and headed out to work on our boat. later i get the text that a titanoboa had nearly killed Era and he had lsot the argent.  poo.

If you're typing and then say.. go answer a text or something it tends to vanish. I've had my fair share of 30 minute write ups being deleted after typing the whole thing.. 

• Like 1

today I joined discord to hear Era talking to me he said " hey you know how you wanted a carno?"

"yeah"

"well i killed one yesterday"

"WOW that was mean"

"yes"

I then proceeded to log in to a 305 carno staring me down the throat. 

"that was even better"

"yep"

after those shenanigans I started to breed our newest stats into the ptera line. after getting our new female breeder Era spotted a low lvl bronto wandering around our base. a quick kite and knockout and a lvl 29 female bronto is taming. back to the ptera line. Now @Cymasand @yekrucifixion187 you have some serious patience. i have growth rates set to 60 and it was still tedious culling the useless and looking at all the stats. i'm surprised you haven't just been griping to us the entire time. well after a good bit the bronto was tamed and Era and I had bred the new stats into the pteras. after talking a little I started to make kibbles to tame.  then Era found a left over egg from a couple of days ago when we got the new stats and decided to hatch it just because. near perfect twins... imprinted on them and left Era to finish them up.

all in all a productive day

Edited by gamatron332
removed repeat sentence
  • Like 3

Today I tamed a pair of compies (135 pre-tame male, 90-something pre-tame female (didn't find any better)) and bred them.

Now I look at that tiny piece of raptor dung given dino form, add meat to its inventory every minute or so, and seriously contemplate giving it the chainsaw lullaby instead, because when I bred the compies and hatched the egg I didn't yet know that they take as long as a rex to grow.

• Haha 2

Day 11: Ok so, I was playing with the grapling hooks, saw a Tapajara tamed him, he is now terji, and if I find torji I think they might be mates sooo cool! The I want back after reading out him, saw a bronto, level 23 and good colors, had 20 arrows left, KOed him on the last one, started taming and went hunting for levels and bone on FB Came back with saddle, waited a little, bronto tamed, broug him back and found out he only takes 1 tree out at a time, even if he gets a lot of thatch, took the thousand narcos or so and started some narcotics, went to get an Anky, realized I didn’t have any tranq.. went back got it. Made some arrows on they way, picked up a few supply drops, only thing worth mentioning is a GPS blueprint, found some colorful ankhs in a sucluded area, KOed one(female), realized a diffrent one nearby (male) Was higher level and more colorful! KOed that too. Tamed both, the female back first. While on my way back found two ENs! Leveled up all of FB’s weight and stam, and like 5 left in health, then will level dmg, anyway, saw Quetz and a stam refill! Mind goes BOOM ? so I head back, grab the rest of the narqs that the mortar made, whistle FB to follow me and jump on my p-don(unnamed) and find the Quetz! Then I log off.

so big day for me! If I get three thumbs up reactions I’ll post a list of my dinos, don’t worry it’s only like 25 or so.

Edited by Dinobros2000
  • Thanks 3

@gamatron332  I once woke up with a wild carno staring down my throat, also why’d you want it? For fighting reasons? I mean, why not an allo or rex insted? Anyway I also once woke up on my friends sever in a small stone cage(2 high, no holes stairs or ladder) full of dodos and a feeding trough... at least 20 dodos and I had stone tools and not much to repair them, happily my friend dosent know how to set a passcode on commands and therefore: All dodos dead, cage +C4 and I MAY have spawned 30 rexes  around and like 50 Raptors inside their base.... and I was nearby with a metal base and some tamed Quetzles some Eyverns(on the island) and like 20 tamed rexes all inside a big metal behemoth gate cage! Also don’t mind the quality 500 sword, shotgun, and longneck... oh and don’t forget about the 10 Velonosuars.... On agressive turret. My freind was out taming some more dodos and came back, and saw rexes JUST as I tried to spawn a titanasuar, then the game crashed....

3 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

@gamatron332  I once woke up with a wild carno staring down my throat, also why’d you want it? For fighting reasons? I mean, why not an allo or rex insted? Anyway I also once woke up on my friends sever in a small stone cage(2 high, no holes stairs or ladder) full of dodos and a feeding trough... at least 20 dodos and I had stone tools and not much to repair them, happily my friend dosent know how to set a passcode on commands and therefore: All dodos dead, cage +C4 and I MAY have spawned 30 rexes  around and like 50 Raptors inside their base.... and I was nearby with a metal base and some tamed Quetzles some Eyverns(on the island) and like 20 tamed rexes all inside a big metal behemoth gate cage! Also don’t mind the quality 500 sword, shotgun, and longneck... oh and don’t forget about the 10 Velonosuars.... On agressive turret. My freind was out taming some more dodos and came back, and saw rexes JUST as I tried to spawn a titanasuar, then the game crashed....

Ahh you see I like medium sized mounts the best and amphibious animals Trump all. So the list goes. Baryonyx, sarco, spino(not really medium but it’s still here) , and carno. 
we’re not ready for Spinos Barry’s are too far as long as sarco. So carno is the next best thing

• Like 1

Ahh you see I like medium sized mounts the best and amphibious animals Trump all. So the list goes. Baryonyx, sarco, spino(not really medium but it’s still here) , and carno. 
we’re not ready for Spinos Barry’s are too far as long as sarco. So carno is the next best thing

k

also why isnt the aqua breather on that list? not medium? also what about anklo???

@Ohma I meant to post last night but I was tired. Anyway you don't need stamina on boss rexes, just HP and melee. Unridden animals don't use stamina and you'll be riding a yuty, so it's completely unnecessary. Makes breeding that much easier too, which is nice.

@Dinobros2000 I know, I've read almost all of Crichton's books, some many times. :) My favorites are The Lost World and Airframe.

@gamatron332 My rates are also quite boosted, although not as high as yours. Looking for muts isn't too bad because my rexes all have identical stats so I just look for the baby that's 2 levels higher and only check that one for mutations. I eat the rest without looking at them.

Anyway I was really tired after work so I logged in, did a metal run, sat in base while it smelted, then logged off for the night.

Edited by Cymas
  • Like 3