So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Something that literally just happened to me  on my server.

In Valguero map,  I  had like 7 spinosaurus eggs that i was waiting for them to hatch,  something like  20 min remaining before hatching,  so i deicde to  take a bird and fly arround  on the big field of the white cliffs to look for some potentials good levels / color creatures since there is an event going on.

AND THEN,  i see a horse,  a white horse, all white,  no strippes,  thats weird they usually have strippes ...  I come closer,   oh poop thats a unicorn O_O

A Unicorn ?! My tribe is called "Unicorns" !This animal is for me! 

And I'm  in the middle of the big white-cliff field  where there allosaurus, rexes and deinos everywhere o_o

I have nothing on me,  just a ptero  and a cryo with a chalycotherium, I call on the chat for some other tribe to help me  with that, like  bringing  an eagle and  safely  grabbing and placing the unicorn in  the server  public taming prison.

--->  A guy come,   bring his eagle,  put it in the public taming prison, and tame it for himself, and then leave O_O

This is a declaration of war!

There will be blood tonight o_o  there will be dodorex  war tonight !

well maybe not tonight but when  i'll  get all wishbones o_o

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, caleb68 said:

logged in to ark today, refreshed server... fed dino's at main base... sat there for a minute looking around... logged out...

Generated a map for 7 days to die... played for awhile on it:

9122B380868864F8FB1C644FBFCA02D7A4D30ACB

i'm sure it looks abit familiar...

Lol, 7 Days to die. More like, 7 deaths a day when we all first started out.... 

• Haha 2

Ah well it looks like this run on Ark is coming to an end, it was a good run. Looks like our cluster is closing down soon (by the end of the year) as the server owner has had enough of dealing with all the server shenanigans, I have been expecting this for a while but thought there was a little more time. Basically the Center server on the cluster self destructed and that was the final straw. My stuff was thankfully all on The Island server so its safe for the time being. I havent been able to play much recently anyway between work and what not so its not too bad (Pokemon has sucked me back in). Might be a good time to take a break from Ark anyway , might potter about in single player for a bit if I have time but we shall see. Sucks about all those breeding lines (particularly my prized otter, thyla etc lines) but hey ho on to new adventures else where I guess, what ever that might be. 

Edited by AngrySaltire
  • Sad 3

@AngrySaltire You could always transfer your breeding lines to SP so you don't lose them entirely. That way if you ever feel the interest in returning you've still got something.

I haven't been playing much either but this weekend I felt the itch and hopped back in. Knocked out quite a bit of stuff actually. Took on the Cunning cave and there was a bit of a mosa overspawn...there was like 30 of them in one chamber, including multiple alphas. Luckily they were all stuck in flee mode. I did kill a few of them off to harvest some easy black pearls, topping up my supply for now.

There were no tusos, which was a bit of a disappointment. I had hoped I could do the cave and farm the tentacles at the same time. I settled for chasing down some tusos beneath the ice. Also keeping an eye out for an alpha leed, I bet that one's going to prove a massive problem.

Also had to run swamp cave because I hadn't really farmed the artifact at all while I was in there, meh. But now hopefully I won't have to deal with that one for awhile.

Then I ran into a major roadblock in the form of the Skylord artifact. Yes, it's still bugged and not spawning in single player. Great. I've spent about 3 hours total in and around that cave so far with nothing to show for it.

In the absence of other ideas, I ended up running the snow cave with one of my second gen battle rexes. Died the first time due to poor luck, but the second run was easy enough. I had the idea to use a spino but for some reason despite being slimmer than a rex, they seem to have a larger hitbox and kept getting stuck. Unfortunate since the ice cold water damages the spino but also gives the water boost.

So now I'm close to done with prep for the Dragon, except for two more items. The Skylord artifact and giga hearts. I have no idea how I'm going to take down wild gigas without a tamed one, but so far I'm thinking I might just throw a bunch of rexes at it. If they can handle the Broodmother they should be able to withstand a giga, right? That's the theory anyway. I mean, it's not the biggest deal if my first gen rexes die off, they're intended to be more or less disposable as long as I can salvage the saddles.

I'm still breeding the rexes and stacking mutations up in the background, which is why I don't care that much if I lose the first gen and even the 3 second gen rexes. Up to 12 HP and 11 melee mutations now.

As a side note this is probably my biggest issue with Syntac's Ultimate Ark series, which is what inspired me to do this myself in the first place. The problem is 100 episodes sounds challenging but also short, when it's not really reflective of the reality of playing through it yourself. He can edit his content down to fit in as many episodes as he wants and cut out the monotony and grind of actually doing it. It's just not at all realistic and a big reason why I've coming to appreciate Phlinger quite a bit of late.

I'm also starting to get a little antsy, being so close to done with this map after so long. I know it's only technically halfway, but I have most of the tribute items for the Overseer already so once I have the trophies I'll only need to do a little farming. The Dragon is still a pretty terrifying prospect though, not gonna lie.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:19 AM, Cymas said:

@AngrySaltire You could always transfer your breeding lines to SP so you don't lose them entirely. That way if you ever feel the interest in returning you've still got something.

I might try and see if its possible to do this, not sure if the server is configured to allow transfers between the cluster and single player. Am not fussed really but would be nice to keep some incase.

The Island, private server, two of us

We tried the lava cave (Southeast) with our crowd of high-level (200+) Raptors, Dilos, and Dimorphodons.  It did not go well.  The spiders, cenitpedes , and bats were too much for our small critters.   The bats flew over everything and gave us megarabies (we had enough lesser antidote to cover this) and our troops just dwindled by atttrition.  The spiders really slow everything down with webs.  I then watched a few YouTube vieos and decided to try running through the cave naked to grab the artifact.  Unfortunately, once a spider webbed me, it was all over.  No running, no armor, no survival.  The videos that I watched showed many fewer critters that I experienced.  There were enough critters that my running was blocked by masses of spiders, centipedes, etc. and I had to stop, which was death.

I thought about this a while and came up with a new strategy.  We have made a few cryopods for long-range transport of dinosaurs.  We have already bred a relatively strong line of Megatheriums in prep for the Brood Mother battle.  There were lots of bugs in the lava cave. We walked into the lava cave with one cryopodded Megatherium each.  My main concern was that we might have to pod and unpod the Megas multiple times to get through narrow areas and jump over lava (Megas can't jump) and critters might choose that moment to jump us while we had no protective critters.  The Megas were awesome at clearing out spiders, centipedes, and bats.  We spent about half the time with one of us unmounted with a podded Mega and the other riding the other Mega.  The walker would walk through a narrow area or jump over lava and make sure that there was a safe landing area in which to unpod the other Mega.  If there were critters, they would draw them back to the person on the Mega until all of the potential problems were dead.  They then went ahead and unpodded their Mega.  The one that was riding got off and podded their Mega and advanced or jumped to catch up and thereafter they were the walker until the next obstacle area.  This worked great until we got to the actual artifact. The lava is too wide to jump (I tried it and died).  Then we realized in our excitement over using the Megatheriums we had forgotten to bring any grappling hooks.  D'oh!  We made our way out of the cave and we should have no problems with our next attempt.

I am debating also using a second strategy and that is to build bridges over all of the chasms.  It might take a while and we would still need to kill the aggressive critters (probably with a Megatherium), but then we could do the cave easier and not have to pod up to go over lava.

Still to go - the central cave and the Brood Mother.  Our goal is to complete the Gamma Broodmother by this Thanksgiving weekend which will be our one year anniversary of playing Ark.  I did spend a few months playing in Official PvE on Valguero, but I learned some lessons from other players that helped us in the long run here on The Island.

We finally got our breeding line of Therizinos up over level 100.  I would prefer over 200, but we have not seen that many high-level Theriznos around.  These should be good enough for Gamma Broodmother.  Our Rex line is nearly at 200 and I am sure they will come in useful in the future.  The Rexes (and the Therizinos for that matter) are great for wading through the swamps looking for leeches (for leech blood to make lesser antidotes for the dang bats with megarabies).

On 11/19/2019 at 3:11 PM, Aushegun said:

I wish ARK had the building capabilities as what 7D2D seems to have. (I have only watched the NEEBS GAMING videos of it)

Neebs gaming is actually what got me started playing Ark. I finished their subnautica series, and then Neebsylvania and I was like what else do they have. Didn't like Conan so the jumped to Ark and thought well this game looks cool. And its on the xbox game pass. I'll give it a shot and 3 days later and I'm hooked. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stretch11 said:

The Island, private server, two of us

We tried the lava cave (Southeast) with our crowd of high-level (200+) Raptors, Dilos, and Dimorphodons.  It did not go well.  The spiders, cenitpedes , and bats were too much for our small critters.   The bats flew over everything and gave us megarabies (we had enough lesser antidote to cover this) and our troops just dwindled by atttrition.  The spiders really slow everything down with webs.  I then watched a few YouTube vieos and decided to try running through the cave naked to grab the artifact.  Unfortunately, once a spider webbed me, it was all over.  No running, no armor, no survival.  The videos that I watched showed many fewer critters that I experienced.  There were enough critters that my running was blocked by masses of spiders, centipedes, etc. and I had to stop, which was death.

I thought about this a while and came up with a new strategy.  We have made a few cryopods for long-range transport of dinosaurs.  We have already bred a relatively strong line of Megatheriums in prep for the Brood Mother battle.  There were lots of bugs in the lava cave. We walked into the lava cave with one cryopodded Megatherium each.  My main concern was that we might have to pod and unpod the Megas multiple times to get through narrow areas and jump over lava (Megas can't jump) and critters might choose that moment to jump us while we had no protective critters.  The Megas were awesome at clearing out spiders, centipedes, and bats.  We spent about half the time with one of us unmounted with a podded Mega and the other riding the other Mega.  The walker would walk through a narrow area or jump over lava and make sure that there was a safe landing area in which to unpod the other Mega.  If there were critters, they would draw them back to the person on the Mega until all of the potential problems were dead.  They then went ahead and unpodded their Mega.  The one that was riding got off and podded their Mega and advanced or jumped to catch up and thereafter they were the walker until the next obstacle area.  This worked great until we got to the actual artifact. The lava is too wide to jump (I tried it and died).  Then we realized in our excitement over using the Megatheriums we had forgotten to bring any grappling hooks.  D'oh!  We made our way out of the cave and we should have no problems with our next attempt.

I am debating also using a second strategy and that is to build bridges over all of the chasms.  It might take a while and we would still need to kill the aggressive critters (probably with a Megatherium), but then we could do the cave easier and not have to pod up to go over lava.

Still to go - the central cave and the Brood Mother.  Our goal is to complete the Gamma Broodmother by this Thanksgiving weekend which will be our one year anniversary of playing Ark.  I did spend a few months playing in Official PvE on Valguero, but I learned some lessons from other players that helped us in the long run here on The Island.

We finally got our breeding line of Therizinos up over level 100.  I would prefer over 200, but we have not seen that many high-level Theriznos around.  These should be good enough for Gamma Broodmother.  Our Rex line is nearly at 200 and I am sure they will come in useful in the future.  The Rexes (and the Therizinos for that matter) are great for wading through the swamps looking for leeches (for leech blood to make lesser antidotes for the dang bats with megarabies).

try taming some barys, they small, tanky and pack a punch. also fairly easy to kill as all u have to do is kill some salmon and sickle them to get the prime fish meat, then knock one or a few out and tame them.

have not been doin much lately. sorta forgotten what i have been posting about. with riley unable to play i have lost the will to play. been focusing on the new pokemon shield game. recently found a shiny colossal in a raid. anyway i have been curiously searching for mods that add pokemon to ark, preferably galar pokemon as well. i know mods are for PC but when i do get a pc that can play ark i plan to play with some mods

Well me and my friends found a rex for he first time so we attempted to knock it out we did ,manage to et it down but my friend thought he might test how strong the rex was by shooting it with a shotgun and it frickin died. I was soooooo angry. But we then found so e raptors a parasaur and a trike which me managed to tame we went back to base and continued building my incubation chamber.

On 11/22/2019 at 9:06 PM, Aschran said:

Something that literally just happened to me  on my server.

In Valguero map,  I  had like 7 spinosaurus eggs that i was waiting for them to hatch,  something like  20 min remaining before hatching,  so i deicde to  take a bird and fly arround  on the big field of the white cliffs to look for some potentials good levels / color creatures since there is an event going on.

AND THEN,  i see a horse,  a white horse, all white,  no strippes,  thats weird they usually have strippes ...  I come closer,   oh poop thats a unicorn O_O

A Unicorn ?! My tribe is called "Unicorns" !This animal is for me! 

And I'm  in the middle of the big white-cliff field  where there allosaurus, rexes and deinos everywhere o_o

I have nothing on me,  just a ptero  and a cryo with a chalycotherium, I call on the chat for some other tribe to help me  with that, like  bringing  an eagle and  safely  grabbing and placing the unicorn in  the server  public taming prison.

--->  A guy come,   bring his eagle,  put it in the public taming prison, and tame it for himself, and then leave O_O

This is a declaration of war!

There will be blood tonight o_o  there will be dodorex  war tonight !

well maybe not tonight but when  i'll  get all wishbones o_o

They freaking sucks 

With a holiday of downtime I decided to hop in and see if I couldn't make a final push for the Dragon.

So, one very unexpected bottleneck ended up being giga hearts. The problem wasn't actually killing the gigas themselves; I know I said I wanted to take one down in battle but practicality won out and I ended up just drowning them, which was way easier than I expected honestly. The problem was getting more to spawn after I took out the ones that were already up. I admit, I eventually took to dino wiping until I got spawns after spending a good 5 hours doing circuits of the mountains and the Skylord cave.

Speaking of, I still haven't gotten a single Skylord artifact to spawn in the cave. Given that I've run this cave at least 20 times trying for it, I went ahead and spawned in the 4 artifacts I would have collected if the cave wasn't bugged.

So yeah, I know that was cheesy but really, this game shouldn't be this broken after this many years of development. I'm not going to sit here for another month just waiting for the artifact to spawn when for all intents and purposes I've successfully cleared the cave multiple times.

With that, I've officially collected everything I need for all 3 levels of the Dragon.

I went ahead and moved all the rexes over, built my little hut and set up all my tributes, artifacts and spare sets of armor. I've also got a shotgun to bring with me so I made some shells, plenty of med brews of course, and some calien soup. I also brought one of the pigs over.

I could have pushed to start the fights tonight but it was getting late (I wake up at 5 am every morning) and I decided I didn't want to push it. So I'll leave it for tomorrow night or maybe even Saturday, depending on how things go. Honestly I expect I should do ok on Gamma, I'll probably lose some rexes to Beta, and I'll probably have to raise a full new generation to take on Alpha. Because the bulk of my army are still my first gen rexes, all with 35k HP and only 600ish melee. I know that won't be enough. With my best gen I can easily go 30k HP and over 1000 melee, that's the kind of brute force I'll need to take it down. I have no idea if 30k is good HP or not, I just figure with the breath ultimately it doesn't matter, I need to get it down as fast as possible and none of those older rexes will be able to keep the pressure up.

So that's basically my weekend plans and if all goes well (it probably won't, being Ark...) I should be preparing for the Tek Cave/Overseer by this time next week. I have almost all the tributes I need for that too, only missing dragon trophies, alpha tuso and alpha leed drops.

• Like 2

so today and yesterday i got arked hard.

Since the 2 updates on 11/27 within a about 1 hr of each other.  Everytime i try to connect with my character on one specific server I get a host disconnected message.  Tribe mate has same issue but others I am friends with an get on  and still other say they have a similar issue.  Right in the middle of a holiday event, makes you feel loved (not).

i hoped on to do some chill breeding, hatched up some rex miuts for my line. nothin too good so jumped off and played some fallout. i did kill some turkeys with a  shoty. they are swarming the ragnarok near viking bay, screw viking bay, i am calling it turkey bay till the event is over. a friend of mines who plays are has been having a hard time recently. being bullied and abused at school aswell as online. he has recently stopped playing ark cause he has gotten sick of being bullied and trolled by people. i gonna invite him to play with me over the weekend. hopefully that will make him feel better. 

Haven't gotten on much since fear evolved, just been pottering around mostly. Have managed to organise most of my resources on the Island, still got a vault of saddles and some shoulder pets full of blueprints left at the beach base with half a dozen rexes.

After lots of mucking around with mixed level tek rexes I now have a breeding pair at level 243 with 10k health and 1.3k melee, got the best stats i had into them without any mutations. The rejects from this endeavour will form the 'test' group for my first ever boss fight (easy broodmother), if and when I finally find a rex saddle blueprint. For all the red drops I have checked I have only found 1 journeyman rex saddle, not a single BP of any quality.

I have decided to breed my (only) 2 baryonyx as I foresee a future spent in the swamp cave. The male is level 100ish and the female is 20ish, hoping to get a low (same) level breeding pair for future breeding projects. The offspring that don't make the cut will be used for my caving endeavours (on land), the first born is grown and is sat outside my unprotected storage tower set to passive with a horde of 40ish neutral zomdodos following it.

As breeding takes for ages to get eggs I set some of my coloured Therizinos to mating, pastel green male with a purple stripe breeding with a bright green female and a purple female. Can't wait for my purple and green babies.

Breeding is fun and I have cleared out room in the breeding courtyard to set up some more couples but I don't know what I want to breed next, shame the babies grow up as they are so cute and dinky.

• Like 1

Also today as I played I was 'talked' or rather 'pouted' into cheating. As I was flying around the Island collecting tames and items I came across a 250 super turkey, at first I approached it cautiously just to look at it as I haven't seen one before. It was at this moment the wife entered the room and declared she wanted it, I told her they are untameable and she sat down looking all sad face at her phone. Just as I was about to leave she shoved her phone in my face saying 'look there is a forcetame admin command' after a little more pouting and some 'i'm poorly's' I agreed to tame it on the condition it stays in her petting zoo and has no interaction with the gameplay, she now has 2 turkeys a skeletal trike and a skeletal quetz for her little zoo all of which we found and forcetamed today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/23/2019 at 3:45 AM, AngrySaltire said:

Ah well it looks like this run on Ark is coming to an end, it was a good run. Looks like our cluster is closing down soon (by the end of the year) as the server owner has had enough of dealing with all the server shenanigans, I have been expecting this for a while but thought there was a little more time. Basically the Center server on the cluster self destructed and that was the final straw. My stuff was thankfully all on The Island server so its safe for the time being. I havent been able to play much recently anyway between work and what not so its not too bad (Pokemon has sucked me back in). Might be a good time to take a break from Ark anyway , might potter about in single player for a bit if I have time but we shall see. Sucks about all those breeding lines (particularly my prized otter, thyla etc lines) but hey ho on to new adventures else where I guess, what ever that might be. 

Im sorry to hear man. We put a lot of hours into that game. You were an awesome Tribe mate and its sad to hear the literal longest nitrado hoster (DJ) is calling it quits. I wish he was still on forums to properly thank in a public manor. 

Maybe we will have to link up on Facebook or something :) I had to temporarily disable Discord but when my new phone arrives ill load it back on and we can catch up!

Good idea @Cymas i bet the admin would let us, too. I know for a fact Saltire has major sentimental attachment to those lines ha ha

• Sad 1

Well, plans didn't go as expected, I ended up being busy last night and most of today.

But later in the evening I hopped on, finished my prep work and...took on the gamma dragon for the first time. It was both as bad and not as terrible as I expected. The beginning was super dicey, I was stuck in all the rexes, couldn't get on the yuty, and then when I did I couldn't get the rexes to move. And the dragon immediately summoned the birds so I had to deal with a dimo flock in the middle of a rex ball. Made it out and got everyone moved over. Finally the dragon came down and we went after it. Honestly, I think I got lucky, it must have gotten stuck on a rex in front of him because he landed and just never took off again. Unfortunately since I had everyone in one taming group and he's so big, most of them took a full frontal assault.

But despite that, he went down so fast I only lost one rex, but many of the remaining ones were close to death.

Victory!

But it's very obvious that we survived gamma, but we won't last against beta or alpha.

So I flew home, cleared out my hatchery and got a new HP mut. So I'm going to raise that up, put her with my melee male and tomorrow after the snow starts I'll be cozied up here at home raising rexes all day. I'm hoarding all my spino eggs up to make leveling even faster too.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:48 AM, d1nk said:

Im sorry to hear man. We put a lot of hours into that game. You were an awesome Tribe mate and its sad to hear the literal longest nitrado hoster (DJ) is calling it quits. I wish he was still on forums to properly thank in a public manor. 

Maybe we will have to link up on Facebook or something :) I had to temporarily disable Discord but when my new phone arrives ill load it back on and we can catch up!

Good idea @Cymas i bet the admin would let us, too. I know for a fact Saltire has major sentimental attachment to those lines ha ha

All good things come to an end, and I dont consider it wasted time at all even in the event of losing everything. For me its all about the journey. You too were an awesome tribe mate, so many good memories. I know DJ does occasionally frequent the forums, so could be worth a shout out. DJ says he'll open up transfers close to the servers going down.

Most definitely, not that I use FB that all to often lol. Ah I have been missing our wee pokemon chats on discord.

• Like 1

Unoffical, private server, The Island, two of us.

We finally completed the Gamma Brood Mother fight as our first boss fight.  We were more than adequately prepared with 10 Megatherium (7-10K health, ~400 melee, level ~200), 8 Therizinosaurs (~5K health, ~300 melee, ~level 100), one Daeodon (5K health, level 200), and one Yutyrannus (3K health, 900 stamina).  We expected to lose the Yuty and we did.  I rode the Daeodon to keep it close to the meleers and to circle the clump to make sure that everyone participated in the healing.  I also bit spiders from time to time, but I was not able to keep enough off of the Yuty.  The Theris had so much bug bonus that they did not need the Yuty's courage bonus.  My buddy rode a Megatherium but was trapped in the middle of the clump after everything rushed the Brood Mother and was never able to make it out until the Brood Mother was dead.  No dinos except the Yuty died in the battle, the Daeodon worked as advertised.  We had it mostly loaded with cooked meat with about the last third being raw meat.

Next time:  Bigger Yuty.  No Theris - all Megatheriums.  Riding the Daeodon was a good choice.  Maybe my buddy should ride the Yuty to kill attacking spiders.  The Brood Mother did not really move much since Megatherium swarmed it on all sides like an egg being fertilized.

After we breed up another bunch of Megatherium, we should be able to take the Beta Brood Mother.

We also have bred a bunch of level ~200 Rexes and we will start planning for the Gamma Ape fight.  I think we have a few more caves to explore to get all of the artifacts required.

Megatherium work very well in any cave with bugs.  The cryopods are good for getting through narrow places or across lava jumps (don't forget the grappling hooks!).  It worked well that we had two of us, as one was usually mounted on a Megatherium while the other walked (hiding behind the Megatherium when bugs or bats attacked) and we traded off across jumps so that there was always someone mounted on a Megatherium at all times.  I am still thinking about watery caves and we may have to invest in some high-level Baryonyxes.

One-year anniversary of playing Ark!