So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

4 hours ago, Anarki said:

So... newbies. To help or not to help.

There is a new girl on the server, always asking questions - always polite. 

I have always helped new players, given them tames to give them a little lift and last night was no exception, a born 275 Ptera and a 150 Event Purple and Green Clone Wyv. 

I left them to it whilst put out my Gigas I had no intention of raising (2x485s and 1 x535) as my delivery of 615MD hasnt arrived from a friend yet - thought I may as well raise them as back ups so I can say at least I did something with the 2x rates etc.

Tribemate popped on, saw the messages from newbie and was like 'Ive given up helping newbies as it takes away their experience and they always lose whatever I give them within an hr anyway'.

Low and behold, I see a message an hr later that they have lost their Ptera and Wyv... the question is, have I made their game a lot less enjoyable as they now believe they have lost something so important to them - but was it really that important?

Maybe I shouldnt give them tames, but I always do... any thoughts?

I don't know if I've come across a true newbie in the last year. I usually get people who are just new to the server.

Since I play on a boosted cluster, there really isn't a need to give them anything, even though the admins give people a starter dino.

If i see a person join the server for the first time, and instantly ask for a starter, then I never help them, because it is obvious they are super lazy.

If I see some one join, and ask "What would it cost to buy X dino from someone" then I know they are at least willing to work a bit, and I may help them.

If I was playing official rates, I would probably help a bit more, but since this is boosted, I really don't feel the need.  When I started the server, I had a ptera within 15 minutes, and a Griffin within an hour,  Within 2 hours, I had a small base to house both flyers, and the basic essentials. 

I guess i'm not really answering your question though.    I think if you are questioning it, then you probably feel like it is the wrong thing to do.   Maybe try only donating metal tools or narcotics to a newbie, and let them do the taming themselves.  See how that makes you feel?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

I guess i'm not really answering your question though.    I think if you are questioning it, then you probably feel like it is the wrong thing to do.   Maybe try only donating metal tools or narcotics to a newbie, and let them do the taming themselves.  See how that makes you feel?

Yeah I lay on official, and I guess in the past I felt that a high level Ptera would allow for a player to scout out and find a location which wasnt pillared... I could imagine trying to find a non-pillared section on Official would be a nightmare on foot.

I think I may just allow the newbies on the server to fend for themselves a bit - and if they come back in time looking for a trade then I can just give them a tame for 100 CP :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Yeah I lay on official, and I guess in the past I felt that a high level Ptera would allow for a player to scout out and find a location which wasnt pillared... I could imagine trying to find a non-pillared section on Official would be a nightmare on foot.

I think I may just allow the newbies on the server to fend for themselves a bit - and if they come back in time looking for a trade then I can just give them a tame for 100 CP :)

Well for official, then a Ptera would certainly be a huge help. But I feel giving noobs a wyvern off the bat is too much.   I was on a server once that gave a horse as a starter dino. It was actually pretty useful.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aushegun said:

Well for official, then a Ptera would certainly be a huge help. But I feel giving noobs a wyvern off the bat is too much.   I was on a server once that gave a horse as a starter dino. It was actually pretty useful.

Yeah the Wyvern was meant for me by a local friendly tribe but I didnt want to they gave it to her instead. I guess we are all too kind in ARK :)

2 hours ago, SMP said:

I give newbies a task to complete before giving them dinos.  3 spino sails or a box full of flint, something like that.  9/10 don't complete the task.

I used to give stuff away quite a bit, but got tired of raiding the abandoned bases a few days later to take back my stuff after they quit.

I used to give stuff to newbies, but then I realized that griefers also ask for stuff. A lazy griefer can get a Argent and start greifing people even faster if you give him one (this happened to us).

46 minutes ago, Anarki said:

When I first started I jumped in the server that I'm in now and someone was super awesome and gave me a Pteranodon and that thing has made all the difference for me and I still have it (surprisingly)

Back on subject I figured out that I have been  using the wrong dino to gather materials. was using an anky to get get rocks and was fine with getting the metal but I'm so full on flint its stupid. Switched to my Doedi and holy cow that's why I tamed this thing originally but forgot how good it was!! got what I'm guessing is half the walls done around my base and will finish the rest of them tonight and I should be safe to go outside again at night. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anarki said:

So... newbies. To help or not to help.

There is a new girl on the server, always asking questions - always polite. 

I have always helped new players, given them tames to give them a little lift and last night was no exception, a born 275 Ptera and a 150 Event Purple and Green Clone Wyv. 

I left them to it whilst put out my Gigas I had no intention of raising (2x485s and 1 x535) as my delivery of 615MD hasnt arrived from a friend yet - thought I may as well raise them as back ups so I can say at least I did something with the 2x rates etc.

Tribemate popped on, saw the messages from newbie and was like 'Ive given up helping newbies as it takes away their experience and they always lose whatever I give them within an hr anyway'.

Low and behold, I see a message an hr later that they have lost their Ptera and Wyv... the question is, have I made their game a lot less enjoyable as they now believe they have lost something so important to them - but was it really that important?

Maybe I shouldnt give them tames, but I always do... any thoughts?

Don't give tames, give the tools to get tames - tranqs, kibble, etc. Maybe decent tools too, better pick, axe, bow, etc. Those and advice are all you can give without really disrupting their gameplay. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Worked a bit on my solo ascension series on Aberration.

• Tamed one of my best anky since I started the game in EA. A 135 female which came out at 370% dmg post-tame. To make matters ever better, her very first baby hatched with a dmg mutation (380%).
  • Also tamed a 145 crab.
  • Reaper cloning is coming along very well.

In terms of video recording, I did :

• Full gamma tek cave run (±35 mins) legit, solo.
  • Gamma Overseer (±10 mins), solo.

Both are yet to be published as the tek cave alone takes a whopping 13 GB.

Cheers!

Edited by Darkholis
  • Like 4

PVE-Official-TheIsland

Spent the better part of the day raising babies, 12 Velon, and 7 807 melee base Rexes, 3 rollrats.  Constantly going out for meat runs through the day and collecting bones and any scarecrows I could find.  A Friendly tribe who I had given 150k hide to a few weeks back gave me a stack of bones, and with the ones I had found myself I was able to craft my tribemate the event emotes as he had given up trying to get the items after countless hours of hunting and never finding one bone dino, so he will have a nice suprise when he comes online.

All the Velon are between 50 / 75 percent done, and fully imprinted, the rexs also varying from 50-85% done but a couple look like im not going to get a full imprint on, but thats okay they'll still be good boss rexs and potential breeders for the 1007's I have waiting to be raised.

doesn't seem like much, but i feel like I accomplished quite abit today on the island, I would of raised them on Valguero but our server is still having issues sense the patch.

• Like 3

Xbox - singleplayer.

Got back to the island, but not before the event started, in a mad panic I managed to craft 4 cryofridges and enough cryopods to almost fill 3 of them, had to pool the resources of 3 bases to do it though, and finally proved to the wife that (sometimes) hoarding is a good and valuable thing to do. Got most of my dinos safely into storage at the hatchery by green ob and then tamed some more dinos, have almost filled 1 fridge with argents, and collected some loot from the spooky piles which all despawned, so that was a waste of time. Took my battle argy out scouting for the dodorex, not to engage just to see the beast for myself, flying over some trees the music kicks in so I dive slowly into the treeline. As I break through the canopy my torch breaks and at that exact moment dodorex lurches from the right and takes a bite at me, jump scare moment of my life, I bank left and flee the scene crossing a river and landing on a cliff to heal and see if he gave chase. He did, but now he is stuck in the water and can't climb out over the banks, so I start straffing runs and after a few or more stamina stops the beast fell on the edge of the river. I eagerly open the dropped loot bag to discover garbage, I get better loot from alpha raptors, not even a dodorex mask skin.

That was all pre-update, post update adventures coming later.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

PC Official PVE:

Waiting for the Transfertimer ? I did since yesterday a lot trades and spend a lot time to wait till i can Transfer to Servers in and out. Still some Trades not done yet ?
I have a lot Babies now which i want to raise, but idk atm where i will Raise them ?.

My "old" Base on Rag is to small for that amount i fear and my new base dont have atm Tek Generator or Tek Troughs. Its tbh atm inside empty because i need first to think where and how i place all.

Except that i want to collect some Event Items because i want the Skins and Emotes. I want to tame some high level event Griffins too, so its a lot to do like always. THAT ARK. ?

• Like 1

PS4 - Unofficial Cluster

Spent most of my Friday night on Valguerro, I expanded my base there, by building vertically, adding room for a 2nd level if wanted, and a roof. I parked my Reapers and Wyverns on the roof. While I was building this, I also raised up a couple of event colored frost wyverns from the Valentines event.  (I have so many dino babies sitting in cryopods, ugh!)

I also built a hatchery and gathered resources to craft 22 AC units, which should allow me to hatch Drake eggs in it. I'm one of those players who rarely ever throws out resources, instead, whenever  I return to base, I load any chitin, stone, flint, crystal, oil, etc into my storage or replicator.  It sure helps down the road, when I need to craft bigger ticket items, as I normally have most everything  I need. of course being on a boosted cluster doesn't hurt either.

I then set up a cooking station so I could create all the dye I needed, and eventually painted the base and hatchery black.

I then spent too much time trying to find scarecrows.  I found plenty of pumpkins and gravestones, but the scarecrows seem to be very rare. I did also manage to kill 4 bone Brontos, 2 bone stegos and 2 bone trikes.  no luck finding a bone, raptor, rex, carno or Giga, though someone in chat said they had just killed a bone giga.

but even with killing nearly 10 bone dinos, I still only had about 55 bones!  yikes, it will take forever to craft these emotes and skins. :(

• Like 3

Loaded my game after the patch and was wondering what might have changed when I noticed the fireballs in the afternoon sky, I was confused by this as until now I had only seen them on dodorex night but now they are permanent. I checked my storage box and discovered that the spooky pile items no longer despawn, halfway to new skins. Went for a fly to look for skeletal dinos and it's dodorex night again ( I exited the game after a dodorex night and thought I had more time before the next one). 

I didn't find any skeletal dinos, and still haven't, but I did find 4 gacha clause(s), 2 on herbie island and 2 on the mainland opposite.

I discovered some new orange drops loaded with stuff for taming and old skins that I didn't have, so thats cool.

Went to check on the dinos I have on the twin pillars and thought I would have a look around the mountain to the north for any event coloured anythings. On my way up the mountainside I see dodorex basking in the midday sun without a care in the world. I fly wide and land on the mountain to get stam and then off I go. I fly slowly up to ddrex from behind and come to stop by the base of his tail, my argy lets loose a flurry of kicks which doesn't seem to bother dumdumrex, a few stam stops and some rinse and repeat action and the beast dies without even trying to fight back. My eager trigger finger means no dermis this time so I check the loot bag and... some berries a stone axe and a handful of arrows, so no improvement there but at least I was able to claim a small horde of zomdodos which I left at the base of the pillars.

Edited by WarpSpasm
Forgot to mention the orange drops.
  • Like 2

Finally getting all my resources in one place, started building a storage warehouse near the hatchery by green ob, should make it easier to transfer stuff to other maps and bring things into the island. Another dodorex night happened while I was retrieving items from the little island at carno island, after realising that the loot is nothing special I carried on with my endeavours. I have condensed 3 bases worth of resources down to 2, just need to craft at main base and transport to the hatchery, decided to go and check the iceberg mini-base because I haven't a clue what was left there. On my way up the West coast just as I get level to the iceberg and ready for a stamina stop I spot him.

Dodorex encounter 3, I gain stam at a safe distance and launch my attack, after my previous experiences I feel confident I can do this with ease no matter how long it takes. I was wrong. I approach as before and attack his hind quarters but I had not come to a stop and slowly got closer to the business end. I found myself within bite distance and pulled away to turn around and reposition myself for a continued attack, no such luck. I had his attention now and he turned to give chase and unfortunately he chased right of the edge of the cliff. To make matters worse he missed the side edge of the ice shelf and landed in the ocean. A lot of kiting later and a few near dismounts treacherously close to a snappy mouth and I emerge victorious albeit very cold and half dead. Unfortunately by the time I returned to the zomdodos I was unable to claim any. Win some, lose some.

Things I have noticed;

no moon present on this map

dodorex doesn't despawn in the morning, arrival message shows but no leave message

When I have found dodorex in the daytime he is level 1

dodorex doesn't drown

no skeletal dinos are spawning.

Spent two in game nights now looking now for the dodorex on the Island. Nothing. I tried the the rumours of following the the moon and meteors and still nothing. Am starting to think that my quetzal idea certainly might not cut it.

So I thought if I cant take my teams to the dodorex I can take the dodorex to them. I could employ my reaper queen trap technique. Get the dodorex to a hastely placed down teleporter and teleport the dodorex (if I ever find it) to a secure location and murder it there. So I have begun to build  a dodorex holding pen. Built it in the same style as the reaper queen trap we had on Aberration, a metal cage on top of a teleporter. Teleport into the trap with the dodorex coming out above the ceiling, and the survivor coming in below the ceiling. Started building a turret wall, shall place a mixture of heavy and tek turrets and still debating about having my gigas in the trap. Got a feeling this plan wont come to fruition or is even doable but I did it on a whim.

I then assembled the Broodmother boss squad and took on the Alpha Broodmother. I went in with 13 therizinos (each with 20 veggie cakes), 6 megatheriums and a yuty, almost the same set up as last time. I thought I was a gonnner really. Easily lost 4 or 5 therizinos by the time the broodmother got down to half health, my yuty got down to about 1 or 2k health, those areano do pack a punch. Somehow the rest of the team held out and pulled through killing the Broodmother.  At which point I scrambled to grab all the saddles from the dinos I lost, only managed to grab 4 of the ascendant saddles. Annoyingly some of the theris still had veggie cakes left uneaten. Teleported out. Lost 8 theris and a Megatherium in total, plus 5 saddles I couldnt get to in time. On the brightside got the 1000 element and more importantly I got the dermis. Thankfully I have back up theris ready to go, I just need craft up more saddles. 

• Like 3

We recently fired up a new iteration of 'The Island' map, without all of the boosted settings... back to basics. We've since adjusted a few things slightly, but generally we wanted a more challenging server to play on. We also decided 'no transfers in'. Brand new survivors only, no transferred dinos or equipment, etc. After a few weeks I'm around level 73 with a pretty nice base on 'Herbivore Island'. We just completed our water base / pen, in addition to converting the bay into a water base. Today we managed to capture a lvl 1 Alpha Leedsichthys. Initially we tried to lure it in with rafts, but  in the end, it was way easier just to agro it on one of our megs and lead it into the trap. 

Leed2.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WarpSpasm said:

I am not sure there is a guaranteed way to find him but I have found him twice near the twin pillars, once to the north on the mountain and once in the trees to the south.

Yeah neither was I, was just looking for anything to help find him. Twin pillars ? And which mountain ?

• Like 1

Dodorex can spawn anywhere so just make sure you have a good security perimeter.

For myself, I didn't play at all on Thursday or Friday.

But yesterday...yesterday was huge.

First I spent the morning finishing my prep. I am very, very sad to report my unnamed bary, who has been so crucial to my success, has died. I lagged/mistimed the final jump in the lava cave and...yeah. The worst part was raising a new bary and otter and entering the cave again knowing I was going to see the death message and there was nothing I could do. Sigh. But I brought some prebuilt structures and built a bridge across that jump, totally forgot I can do that with PVP settings on. I won't say his death was for nothing, but it was avoidable. I also figured out a little trick for the artifact, at least on SP: don't pop any loot drops before getting the artifact. Get the artifact, then go pop one loot drop, then go back and the artifact should have respawned. Much better than waiting 30+ minutes for it to respawn naturally. Wish I'd figured that out 3 caves ago.

Anyway, with my prep finally done I went back to base to gather everything I needed. I had already moved my army to the obelisk since they needed time to wake up. So spoiled doing this now with cryopods, so easy. Parked my bird and my pig, positioned all of the rexes. Saved the game just in case. Took a breath and popped gamma Broodmother for my first ever solo boss fight.

Victory! Barely even took any damage.

Back on the platform, put my new flag and the precious element away. Gathered the second set of mats and popped beta Broodmother.

Victory! Definitely took significantly more damage, although no one was really bloody. My worst hit rex was down maybe 10k max. As an aside my strategy was to turn group whistles off on the yuty. I hop on whatever is closest, whistle attack, then when they clear out I can jump on the yuty and whistle attack again to get the last rex moving. Then circle around behind to get the rexes to fill in the gap so she's circled. Yulia definitely needs a better saddle.

Healed up again, stashed the prizes. Big, deep breath because I know the first two fights are nothing compared to this...alpha Broodmother.

And the verdict is...victory! But not unscathed. I lost 2 of my first gen battle rexes and in the rush of first victory I stupidly forgot their saddles. And we definitely took a lot of damage, I had one bloody army. Yulia actually came close to death from the spider swarm. I think I'm putting the rest of her points in HP, I did boost stam a bit and was considering some melee but no. Also I really should replace her, I have a significantly better yuty I can breed with much higher base HP.

Nonetheless, I was extremely happy about my hard work finally paying off. Somewhat anticlimatic though, not much to celebrate just yet. I packed the army up and took it home to heal, along with my prizes and a total of 112 element.

But, losses don't slow me down. If anything I come back stronger. I spent some time breeding and hatched 3 of my second gen boss rexes. My first gen hatched out at level 239, pretty respectable. My second gen hatches out at 271. Nice. I only needed 2 but I happened to pop a third so I'm keeping it.

Also got another HP mut while hatching everything.

Did a large metal run, checked my mats. I really need to spend some time organizing everything, it's such a mess. I ended up building a new crafting station just for the replicator. I have everything I need except I'm short on black pearls.

I gathered my gear and some kibble and took my new bary out to the open sea. A crossbow mitigates the jellyfish threat. And honestly these things are OP. The fact that it can stun alpha megs never fails to amuse me, we killed 3 of them in our travels. Scouted an alpha mosa that I'm not going near for awhile, and a 145 kraken that I may tame for the sake of it as I've never tamed one before.

But the real prize, eventually I found a 140 basilo and tamed him up. He has high melee, which I'm pleased about, but low HP, which kind of sucks. But that's fine. Cryo'd my bary, popped on the ascendant basilo saddle I found while farming swamp cave, and continued farming in hopes of finding another. No luck, but then it was getting late anyway. It's been a long day!

Back to base, very, very happy.

Current goals, leveling up the new boss rexes, making their saddles and the Tek replicator, taming a mate for my new basilo so I can breed them, which also means finishing the water side of my base perimeter.

• Like 4

Finished a trap shack I started last night.  Evil church/temple with bait and  some nasty surprises in it.  Should be good for a few loot bags this week.

Worked on my direwolf breeders.   Unfortunately, I suck at breeding mammals and always forget about them during gestation, so it's taking forever.

Built a new bunker with dual industrial grills at the bottom of the ledge that borders my territory.  Now I won't have to navigate Big Red through the trees all the way up to base at the end of meat runs.

Freshened up the ferts in the greenhouse/bee house I built to speed up sweetcake production.  Not sure why, since I don't use cakes.  They may come in handy for trade, though.

Edited by SMP
  • Like 1