So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

Just now, AngrySaltire said:

Yep. Look on the brightside. Could have been worse, could have been microraptors over spawning.

I don't think overspawns of anything are good, and if the maps were actually tested, even on the minimal scale, the overspawns could be caught before the patches were even released,  This one, honestly, is pretty damn hard to miss.

3 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

I don't think overspawns of anything are good, and if the maps were actually tested, even on the minimal scale, the overspawns could be caught before the patches were even released,  This one, honestly, is pretty damn hard to miss.

I never said they were good just could have been worse.  Of course over spawns are bad, I can only imagine what that does to server stability and performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

I never said they were good just could have been worse.  Of course over spawns are bad, I can only imagine what that does to server stability and performance.

didn't mean it that way mate, just that they aren't good in any way or form, even if it were just dodo lol.  I think the worst possible thing I can think of overspawning would be either giga or troodons.  The original overspawn of alpha rexs on valguero was horrible, but I think the raptor overspawn takes the cake.

Just now, caleb68 said:

didn't mean it that way mate, just that they aren't good in any way or form, even if it were just dodo lol.  I think the worst possible thing I can think of overspawning would be either giga or troodons.  The original overspawn of alpha rexs on valguero was horrible, but I think the raptor overspawn takes the cake.

Ah cool. Sorry am just pre-coffee atm, just wanted to make sure. I was thinking gigas too. Just for the giggles I would love to see overspawning of thylas (theoretically speaking of course) and then fly through the redwoods. Would be chaos.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Ah cool. Sorry am just pre-coffee atm, just wanted to make sure. I was thinking gigas too. Just for the giggles I would love to see overspawning of thylas (theoretically speaking of course) and then fly through the redwoods. Would be chaos.

well... with a little editing you could probably make a mod that does that, or allows for one to toggle overspawns for x dino type... some people might actually like it.  ( I get the pre-coffee, im the same lol )

Edited by caleb68

Got home, saw I had a 7 hour download time for the Fear Evolved patch, so I watched re-runs of Ghost Whisperer & House, and then went to bed early.

This morning right before I left for work, I opened up ARK, saw the download was finished and opened ARK. Walked outside my base, saw a pumpkin patch, picked it up, then went back into base and logged off.

Hopefully can play tonight. But since my cluster only has RAG, VAL, and ABB, I'm not expecting much since it sounds like the dodorex and wyvern won't spawn on these maps.  :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aushegun said:

Hopefully can play tonight. But since my cluster only has RAG, VAL, and ABB, I'm not expecting much since it sounds like the dodorex and wyvern won't spawn on these maps.  :(

Thats a shame :( Am gutted they dont spawn on the other maps. Am so glad we have an Island server so I can see the dodorex again but we dont have a scorched server anymore so no dodowyvern for us. At least there is the rest of the event to kind of enjoy ? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Got on tonight to finally experience Fear Evolved again ! Its been too long. I off course took a flight round the Island on my wyvern to explore. Love The Island with the Autumnal colours, it is amazing ! Spotted a skeletal carno outside my base, so I killed it with my wyvern. In my travels I also spotted a skeletal giga around Obsidian Mointain. I was stunned, to my knowledge from past events those are supposed to be really rare. I would have gone back to base and grabbed my gigas then and there but night came on. 

Got lucky with when I logged on, on the first night the dodorex spawned. I took the snow owl approach, flying around with night vision active while listening for the music. Nothing. I did a whole loop round the Island. Didnt spot the dodorex at all before it despawned at dawn.

Went back to base.  Grabbed my pair of gigas and went to hunt down the skeletal giga. It was a bit hairy mainly because I had trouble maneuvering my giga around its mate. Killed the skeletal giga without to much of an issue after some repositioning. Lost about 10k health on each giga, so not too bad. Got the skeletal bone skin so score ! 

Finished up the night by biting the bullet and assembling my boss squad for an Beta Broodmother fight. Been meaning to top up on element for a while now. Assembled 7 megatheriums, 11 theris and a yuty at blue obelisk. Stuck a stack of veggy cakes in each theri. There was supposed to be an additional theri but it somehow it got left on my teleporter pad in transit. Hit the button and went in. It went well. The areneo were a pain as always, so obviously the theris and megas got distracted by those occasional, but we killed the broodmother in under 5 minutes. Most importantly got the dermis of it. Got the team back to base and grabbed the 750 element from one of the megas. The theris held up well, each lost about 2k health tops and only ate a few cakes each. Similiar story for the megas but one or two took a pounding and lost about 10k health. For the inevitable alpha fight I should be fine, hopefully, just need to stick more cakes into the theris and work on positioning during the fight. Oh and of course make sure I dont leave any boss tames behind.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Kill one raptor, two more take their place. Hail hyraptor !

hehehe, i was reaidng a book on WWII before i got on, u may have heard of it. the eagal has landed. by jack higgins. so same thing happened to me. but there it was also deinos and allos. pteras were also sawming the beaches. i spent 3 hours killing raptors, deino, pteras and allos. on the bright side i got way better stats for my deinos than what i had before. all new stats came from 150. i compared the stats and they all ranked as very high in dododex. tamed some raptors for somehting i have planed. hint it includes the dodorex. so i started on the isalnd the other day. i tamed a 150 ptera and saddled it. a nice red one. great stam, melee and health, decent weight. i recorded its stats for future breeding and started leveling it. i found the one who awaits not on the mountain and went alpha hunting. i not sure how this came to be but 5 alpha raptors were near the redwoods. FIVE alphas. so i got my ptera to 7k health, 5k melee and 3k stam. i also gave it an asc saddle i found in a drop. it has a 300ish armour rating. so i think psh this this will be easy. i go down and barrel roll all five of them. 2 r already bloddy. then as i got for a second barrel roll a horde of raptors leap from the water and pounce me. i am now screaming and raging. as i am free the 120 alpha insta kills me. so i died and respawned. my ptera was on neutral and attacking them. but he is facing a horde of high lvl raptors including 5 high lvl alphas. i rush ove ron my OP sarco ready to death roll them terds. 15 minutes later i get there and ptera is almost dead. i whistle passive and follow and dive into water. ptera follows me far enough for me to mount on him, spent 5 minutes healing him and went for round 2. i lured the normie raptors into water with sarco and killed them. i also named sarco gustav. if u know who i am reffering to. also i think i spelt it right i not to sure. anyway went back for round 2. i quickly grabbed a second explorer not and fought them. one down, then another, then another. it was down to the 120 and 150 alphas. my ptera was nearly dead. i was trying to decide whether i abought or keep going. i ask ptera and it gives me a positive sound. so i dive in and boom. both dead. we came out with 50+ lvls for ptera and 30 for me. also i did not get a screen shot but the ptera is all red and is female. i knocked out and tamed another red 140 male ptera. they are swrmin 50, 50 cords near redwoods. i wanna make a base there but i worried it may be too laggy there. what names should i give the baby red ptera i play to breed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

why do u suggest it?

Sorry if my earlier replies seemed curt but I was trying to wake up, drink coffee and get dressed for work whilst flicking through the unread topics. In general I either name dinos the first thing I think when I see them or I already have a name in mind and am just waiting to find the dino.

I have a light blue and pastel pink Argentavis named Bubblegum, a host of black and blue or purple or red argents named after Edgar Allen Poe and his works. I am currently looking for a blue Gallimimus to name Zippeau (dinotopia reference).

PS4 - Unofficial cluster

Since my cluster is only Rag/Val/Abb currently, the admins held an event on Rag in the desert last night.  They spawned DodoRexs and Dodowyverns for us to fight. Then they even added some boss dinos, like the Ice Titan, Boss Gorilla and Brood Mother.

Almost everyone brought their best Lightening Wyvern, but some kid showed up on a Carno!  He actually got right into the fight each time!

It was a lot of fun, and for the one of us who survived, we got a max level dino of our choosing. So I got a female Giga! (my buddy Texas got a male giga, so I've already got an egg to hatch and imprint.

• Like 3

PVE-Official-Valguero

Filled 4 tek troughs with food, tossed out 3 juvi babies and collected some loot piles. stuck the loot piles on my bird, waited for server save and headed out.  Came back 4 hours later.  Found the troughs were still full, one trough only missing 3 stacks of cooked meat, and the babies had hardly gone up at all on percentage done,  All the loot from the loot piles were gone from my argy, more wasted time.  Seems the server is crashing so much from the raptor overspawn the 2x breeding event is more like a 0.1% breeding event.   Hatched a dieno egg I had from the previous event, ended up with triplets:
DE7D0BAAA45EB917CFD70550E5B8683EFA892D2B

cryo'ed them up, stuck them in a cryofridge and waited for a map save before logging out.

PVE-Official-TheIsland

logged into my character there sense no crashes and went looking for skeleton dinos, only found 1 a skeleton raptor.  Friend helped me out, trading me bones for dino costumes.  I just killed myself multiple times and dropped all the skins I get from respawning for them, they were quite happy and loved the giga skeleton skin.  With what I was able to collect from the previous days, and what I had collected today and the help from the friend  (hardly anyone on the server) I was able to make 3 emotes, 1 for my tribemate, 2 for myself. Tribemate wanted the dance so I did that one for them, and sense my tribemates like dragging dino's on top of me in the caves, I did the panic emote for myself and bound it to the [ key, I might change the key though to make it easier to activate.   Now when they drag something my way I can hit that panic emote and run, maybe they'll laugh too hard and end up having to deal with the mob instead :P lol.

Thinking about playing some more... couldn't sleep last night so that was all during the hours I should of been asleep.  Not worth doing anything at the moment on Valguero due to the over spawns and them causing server crashes, hardly worth even going on, but will log on and check on the juvi's that are still out.  If I do play more it will be on the island today, seems to be the only map that isn't cursed with over spawning, just under spawning of bone dinos.

I actually had a morning where the only dinos that died were ones that attacked me and for just this once, everyone lived! (Yes I'm a nerd). Didn't do much this morning but watch my argy kill two allosars that decided to start a fight with my base. We have been talking and are thinking about moving to a new area. The beach is nice but have to cross the river to get wood and kinda want a place that's got trees and water close by. Still trying to decide but I spent a lot of today just flying around trying to find a new reasonable place to set up permanent shop and once we do then I'm gonna have to buckle down and get to building and gearing up. Also collected a bunch of pumpkin, tombstones and scarecrows. I'll get around to killing bone dinos here soon cause I want as many goodies as possible from the event. 

• Like 2

So... newbies. To help or not to help.

There is a new girl on the server, always asking questions - always polite. 

I have always helped new players, given them tames to give them a little lift and last night was no exception, a born 275 Ptera and a 150 Event Purple and Green Clone Wyv. 

I left them to it whilst put out my Gigas I had no intention of raising (2x485s and 1 x535) as my delivery of 615MD hasnt arrived from a friend yet - thought I may as well raise them as back ups so I can say at least I did something with the 2x rates etc.

Tribemate popped on, saw the messages from newbie and was like 'Ive given up helping newbies as it takes away their experience and they always lose whatever I give them within an hr anyway'.

Low and behold, I see a message an hr later that they have lost their Ptera and Wyv... the question is, have I made their game a lot less enjoyable as they now believe they have lost something so important to them - but was it really that important?

Maybe I shouldnt give them tames, but I always do... any thoughts?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anarki said:

So... newbies. To help or not to help.

There is a new girl on the server, always asking questions - always polite. 

I have always helped new players, given them tames to give them a little lift and last night was no exception, a born 275 Ptera and a 150 Event Purple and Green Clone Wyv. 

I left them to it whilst put out my Gigas I had no intention of raising (2x485s and 1 x535) as my delivery of 615MD hasnt arrived from a friend yet - thought I may as well raise them as back ups so I can say at least I did something with the 2x rates etc.

Tribemate popped on, saw the messages from newbie and was like 'Ive given up helping newbies as it takes away their experience and they always lose whatever I give them within an hr anyway'.

Low and behold, I see a message an hr later that they have lost their Ptera and Wyv... the question is, have I made their game a lot less enjoyable as they now believe they have lost something so important to them - but was it really that important?

Maybe I shouldnt give them tames, but I always do... any thoughts?

I give newbies a task to complete before giving them dinos.  3 spino sails or a box full of flint, something like that.  9/10 don't complete the task.

I used to give stuff away quite a bit, but got tired of raiding the abandoned bases a few days later to take back my stuff after they quit.

• Like 1