So what did you do in ARK today?

Anarki

EU-PVP-Official-[REDACTED]

Cool, wet grass. Cool wet grass.

Everything is temporary. We who choose to make our homes on the shifting sands of war must learn to adapt when our castles fall. Loss is an opportunity to build.

I didn't want my undersea vaults anyway.

Cool, wet grass.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, SeaRex said:

How wrong he was.

No less than 10 minutes later, I get a call from him. I pick up my phone with dread and say tentatively, 'Yes?'

My fears are cemented when it takes him a second to answer...

"I hate STUPID TERROR BIRDS!"

Turns out a Pteranodon had gotten clipped into the Spino's body and the terror birds had attacked it, but not before knocking 86% taming effectiveness of the Spino. Real nice. My friend didn't make spike walls either because he thought nothing in the vicinity would attack a wild Spino. 

Tonight we're going to try and tame a 290 I saw on the flight back to base, but this time I'm not leaving my friend alone with it.

From 4 years of playing this game and even if others consider this a myth, I'm 100% convinced there is a subroutine function in the game that make crap spawn near/on top of an ongoing tame.

Every single time I did a tame in this game standing near with the creature unprotected, something predatory spawned near by.
Containement structures don't always save your creatures from being attacked as I often saw raptors/t-birds/compies spawn inside the cage with your creatures...

If you start a tame here are a few tips that will save you from frustrations :
- Build a pen around it, ALWAYS.
- If possible, build a second layer.
- If you want to stay near by/or need to, keep your eyes open. Don't go watch a video while waiting, you are bound for disaster.
- Starve tame. Put 1-2 food at the end of the expected tame time and if you see the effectiveness is not what you expected, don't waste ressources.
- Use stasis to your advantage. Dinos will keep on spawning when out of render range, but they remain static until rendered by a player.

To sum it up :
1- Build a pen.
2- Starve tame.
3- Get away until it's time to feed it.

• Like 3

Today, and rest of this week is cloning Dust Gacha and Owls.  I've got a nice little silo that will dump all the gacha crystals into a neat little pile.  When I get everything set up it will be fly from silo to silo and pick up crystals.  Almost as bad a grinding for the rock to feed them, but it gets me the element I need to make my tek base.

• Like 5

EU-PVE-Official-TheIsland

today, i took a 18 800 melee rexs with 35k health into the alpha ape battle, we had one yuty there for two reasons, 1 all the rex we moved off to the right as soon as we got in, and the yuty ran up and pulled the ape to the rexs, after pulling it to the rexs it proceeded to buff them as they attacked the ape.  the battle lasted a whole 4 minutes.

After that we took the element and made a tek teleporter and generator, then sense we have been playing together for serveral months but in seprate tribes, we merged our two tribes together.  at the other players base we placed the second teleporter and geny in a small room, just big enough to hold it and whatever we teleport to it.  its set to non-public, so no ones going to be teleporting in. 

It took us sense Friday to be able to do a bossbattle on the server, as every obelisk had dino's parked around them so that no one else could get dino's to them.  blocked. This is one reason we setup the teleporter, there is a drop that comes down right outside the door at the teleporter so we can bring the rexs over, wait for a drop and start the boss fight that way instead of having to wait days for people to move their dino's off the obelisks.   The blue obelisk is totally inaccessable, but the green obelisk got cleared enough that we managed to get all the rex positioned onto the platform.  The red one is finally clear, but its too far of a trek to take the rexs on foot and no where near that a teleporter could be placed due to pillars.

Anyhow, we found a solution for our problem, and its in a good enough spot that, well, lets just say no ones going to be keeping us from accessing it.  and no, we don't have it blocked.  Hopefully we will be able to get more boss battles done in the future to get abit more tek made up for our two bases now there, both being on opposite ends of the map, making it nice sense now, both have a teleporter to easily get back and forth.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Darkholis said:

From 4 years of playing this game and even if others consider this a myth, I'm 100% convinced there is a subroutine function in the game that make crap spawn near/on top of an ongoing tame.

Every single time I did a tame in this game standing near with the creature unprotected, something predatory spawned near by.
Containement structures don't always save your creatures from being attacked as I often saw raptors/t-birds/compies spawn inside the cage with your creatures...

If you start a tame here are a few tips that will save you from frustrations :
- Build a pen around it, ALWAYS.
- If possible, build a second layer.
- If you want to stay near by/or need to, keep your eyes open. Don't go watch a video while waiting, you are bound for disaster.
- Starve tame. Put 1-2 food at the end of the expected tame time and if you see the effectiveness is not what you expected, don't waste ressources.
- Use stasis to your advantage. Dinos will keep on spawning when out of render range, but they remain static until rendered by a player.

To sum it up :
1- Build a pen.
2- Starve tame.
3- Get away until it's time to feed it.

All great tips. One thing I will add is: depending on your server type is what you should build for tames. Personally I always build a trap or cage around but thats just old official pve habits.

Singleplayer? Nothing. Private PvE/PvP server? Usually nothing. Official pve?? Always something. The reason? The key element DarkHolis mentioned that I dont think enough people take advantage / know.. STASIS! 

If your tame area is stasis'd you can always 100% leave the tame. Only reason something would attack would be someone destasising (flying near on o.pve) Knock it out, put narcs in and leave. Come back just to pump narcs ((be very careful this is when you will get jumped by raptors : hence the always cage thing for me)) Stasis is your friend. Stasis is your enemy. Its stasis, the most under utilized mechanic in ark.

• Like 2

I had quite the busy Ark weekend, although I had to work around some scheduling issues so a lot of my play was actually passive.

Friday night was mostly sitting around carno island watching for drops. Had a little accident at one of them and died, but I have a bed over here so I grabbed a rex to go get the bird. Almost lost the bird because the stupid rex couldn't turn around. I really, really don't like rexes as mounts.

So I did the obvious thing. I took down my apex taming pen, flew home and made kibble, then struck out for the green ob river. I had scouted a 150 spino over there quite some time ago, I just hate making kibble without a cooker and on my taming settings if I use kibble I don't need narcs for them. Turned out to be a female with high HP, she stood up with an excellent 45 points. Started to head home and what's this? A 150 male spino had spawned in just ahead of us and was running rampant. (If I was good at art, a spino rampant would totally be my personal Ark crest.)

I had enough kibble and arrows left so I tamed him too.

Got them both home easily. If you've never walked a spino home, it's the easiest thing. A water boosted spino is faster than an argent and they do not care about terrain at all, so you won't lose them or get them stuck 99% of the time. So happy to have a pair of death puppies, this is probably the longest I've ever gone without one barring my very first time playing. Because back then, spinos weren't in the game yet lol. Anyway. I got them home, got them breeding and got all my stats together.

Also popped an HP mutation almost immediately, which is great. I'm not planning to do much with spinos here simply because I prefer the aberrant ones and intend to do most of my breeding with them. Their base HP is low enough that I feel they really benefit from sacrificing 5% more of their HP in exchange for 5% more melee damage that they really need. But I'll still work that HP line for a bit, baby spinos are great for exp anyway....

That took up the rest of Friday and part of Saturday. I also realized the major QoL change I hadn't paid attention to due to not being super interested in Valguero, and went over to the obelisk to make myself a cryofridge and 20 pods to start, enough for my entire army. On single player you can't use drops to start boss battles, and you have to actually go to each individual obelisk. From a progression standpoint I think it should still be locked with Tek tier, but from a practical standpoint I love it.

Ran lots of mats between breedings, and finally made that asc longneck. Also scraped together enough for a grinder. I've been saving all the higher tier saddles and other gear out of drops even though I knew I was never going to use them. Tossed them all in and the grinder pretty much paid for itself that way.

I then took my bary out for some adventuring; we ran all 3 artifact caves for the Broodmother. Had never been in the lava cave before but the other two I'm familiar with, so it didn't take long. But it was pretty fun, I just realized how little time I've spent on the ground. Mainly because if I'm traveling anywhere on said ground, I prefer to do it on the back of a spino, which I now have.

Sunday ended up being very lazy. I spent quite a lot of my game day in a chair doing non-game things while waiting on eggs. It was quite tedious, but I leveled my entire army to the bare minimum of 35k HP and 500 melee. Finally got the melee mut I wanted, and popped another HP mut that I kept over the first one because it's easier to see new muts with the current breeders.

20190922115331_1.thumb.jpg.7cfb156312b17afab387f59072b25284.jpg

Two separate mutations, two color options: moldy pea soup or moldy pea soup.

I know it's not the old SP mutation bug because I popped quite a few mutations, all of which were useless but in way cooler colors. Sigh.

So I made a lot of progress but at the same time, I'm still stuck without a good saddle BP. Obviously my next goal is to start running the swamp cave since that's my best option right now. My bary is more than enough for that, and I have the longneck to deal with stupid arthros. And now with cryopods I don't have to worry about setting up an outpost to keep my bird safe, or risk running it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, caleb68 said:

EU-PVE-Official-TheIsland

today, i took a 18 800 melee rexs with 35k health into the alpha ape battle, we had one yuty there for two reasons, 1 all the rex we moved off to the right as soon as we got in, and the yuty ran up and pulled the ape to the rexs, after pulling it to the rexs it proceeded to buff them as they attacked the ape.  the battle lasted a whole 4 minutes.

After that we took the element and made a tek teleporter and generator, then sense we have been playing together for serveral months but in seprate tribes, we merged our two tribes together.  at the other players base we placed the second teleporter and geny in a small room, just big enough to hold it and whatever we teleport to it.  its set to non-public, so no ones going to be teleporting in. 

It took us sense Friday to be able to do a bossbattle on the server, as every obelisk had dino's parked around them so that no one else could get dino's to them.  blocked. This is one reason we setup the teleporter, there is a drop that comes down right outside the door at the teleporter so we can bring the rexs over, wait for a drop and start the boss fight that way instead of having to wait days for people to move their dino's off the obelisks.   The blue obelisk is totally inaccessable, but the green obelisk got cleared enough that we managed to get all the rex positioned onto the platform.  The red one is finally clear, but its too far of a trek to take the rexs on foot and no where near that a teleporter could be placed due to pillars.

Anyhow, we found a solution for our problem, and its in a good enough spot that, well, lets just say no ones going to be keeping us from accessing it.  and no, we don't have it blocked.  Hopefully we will be able to get more boss battles done in the future to get abit more tek made up for our two bases now there, both being on opposite ends of the map, making it nice sense now, both have a teleporter to easily get back and forth.

How good were the saddles on those rexes?

PS4 - unofficial cluster

I started of the weekend by going onto the OLD cluster, and giving away my bases and dinos to the first person who responded to my "Who wants free stuff" in chat. So in less than an hour, my 400+ colored owls and base on Extinction - Gone, my event colored Reapers and base on Abberration - Gone, and my dozens of high level/event colored yutys and rexs on Valguerro - Gone. (I gave away my Rag base earlier in the week.)  I tried to give away my Scorched and Center bases, but no one would respond on chat, so their loss!.

The good news, is that the people who got them all seemed really excited and psyched about getting so many great dinos and my well stocked bases.

I then logged onto the new cluster, and knowing that Texas, California and I are planning on doing the boss battles on Rag, I  continued my Rex breeding and imprinting.  While waiting on the timers, I built a bridge that over the gap that separates my main base from a small butte that I built a hatchery on. Took a while, but it is some much easier with a tek suit , than trying to do it on the back of dinos. After some frustration placing some pillars/foundations near the end, I finally got it all to work. and I am happy with the result.  I will try to take a screen shot and post it.

Saturday evening Texas and I ended up doing a couple boss battles, the first time, but because they were on follow, some of his Rexes moved right before we teleported, and only 3 of his made it to the battle. Thankfully all of mine did, and we managed to kill the Gamma. Thank goodness for great saddles!

Later we tried again, and got all dinos to transport correctly, strangely, it took longer this time, as the Manticore just refuse to land. But we finally prevailed. 

Sunday I spent most of the day transferring materials over to Abberration to build my permanent base right near our Reaper trap. My base is located in the blue zone, but still within render of the trap, which is right on the edge of the blue/radiation zones. So I can get impregnated, and even if my tek breaks, I won't get radiation poisoning, and then I can go to my base to wait and have the baby. (The HP settings are set up in such a way, that I only need kill a few dinos to get all the HP for the baby reaper levels)

I can then have the baby, and if it is an event colored one, or a high level one, and because I kept the Queen in render the whole time, I can go back to the trap and get impregnanted again!

Finally got the base built and now i just have to furnish it inside as get the time and gumption to do that.

I did manage to get 2 more event colored reaper babies over the weekend, but sadly low levels, so they will just look on the base roof, and look pretty.

The admins are running a color event on Valguerro currently, and they also added Snow Owls to that map, so I need to get over and tame a few, along with getting some event Ice Wyvern eggs.

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 3

Started executing my plan for an in game 'Dino Archive'. We normally play on dedicated/hosted private servers, to which I have no access or control. We have two servers and we alternate maps occasionally. I've been playing on Ragnarok for about 7 months now, and in that time I've build up some great bases, and tamed & bred a lot of different dinos. I've been trying to think of a way to protect my work from potential loss. For instance, I have some dino breeding pairs backed up with a second mating pair that I've uploaded or cryo'd. I also have a stash of eggs from those mating pairs in fridges. But what if we suddenly have a major technical issue with the host server and lose the entire Ragnarok map save files? 

So I decided to fire up a non-dedicated server, on a map of my choosing, created an 'archive keeper' survivor, and started building a special 'archive' caste. Since I can use the transmitters/Obelisks to transfer items & dinos from the dedicated server I play on, to my non-dedicated locally hosted game, I plan to 'archive' copies of my dinos by moving samples of them over to the non-dedicated server, where they will be cryo'd in my archive castle. Then I can backup my non-dedicated game, and store the game files on external backup drives. 

It has several advantages. Time stands still on the non-dedicated server when it's not loaded. So no worries about electrical generators running out of gas etc. Also, no other players can join my non-dedicated sessions, so my archived dinos are safely out of reach from other players. Since the dinos are saved locally, I have ready access to their save & configuration files, all of which can be backed up to secondary discs/drives. 

• Like 2

Also, on the breeding front... found a lvl 180 Tek Rex (lvl 269 post tame) with a 46 on Melee Damage, and bred it into my line of Tek Rexes (pictured below, now hatching at lvl 290). Then I bred it into my special blue colored line of Tek Rexes (not pictured).

IMG_4671.JPG

Edited by DeHammer
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

Started executing my plan for an in game 'Dino Archive'. We normally play on dedicated/hosted private servers, to which I have no access or control. We have two servers and we alternate maps occasionally. I've been playing on Ragnarok for about 7 months now, and in that time I've build up some great bases, and tamed & bred a lot of different dinos. I've been trying to think of a way to protect my work from potential loss. For instance, I have some dino breeding pairs backed up with a second mating pair that I've uploaded or cryo'd. I also have a stash of eggs from those mating pairs in fridges. But what if we suddenly have a major technical issue with the host server and lose the entire Ragnarok map save files? 

So I decided to fire up a non-dedicated server, on a map of my choosing, created an 'archive keeper' survivor, and started building a special 'archive' caste. Since I can use the transmitters/Obelisks to transfer items & dinos from the dedicated server I play on, to my non-dedicated locally hosted game, I plan to 'archive' copies of my dinos by moving samples of them over to the non-dedicated server, where they will be cryo'd in my archive castle. Then I can backup my non-dedicated game, and store the game files on external backup drives. 

It has several advantages. Time stands still on the non-dedicated server when it's not loaded. So no worries about electrical generators running out of gas etc. Also, no other players can join my non-dedicated sessions, so my archived dinos are safely out of reach from other players. Since the dinos are saved locally, I have ready access to their save & configuration files, all of which can be backed up to secondary discs/drives. 

Yup, that's one of the main benefits of a local server. I was just doing a playtest server and ended up making it my home base server. It now has tames from a few different unofficials :)
Did you know dino stat boosts from server settings will adjust based on their current server settings? It's great, I don't have to worry about getting OP dinos in the mix as their stats shift down to my server's (base) values.

9 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

Yup, that's one of the main benefits of a local server. I was just doing a playtest server and ended up making it my home base server. It now has tames from a few different unofficials :)
Did you know dino stat boosts from server settings will adjust based on their current server settings? It's great, I don't have to worry about getting OP dinos in the mix as their stats shift down to my server's (base) values.

Yea, I noticed that as well. The server I play on has imprinting set pretty high, and it auto-adjusts stats automatically when the dinos hit a server with lower imprint settings. 

EU-PvE-Official-TheIsland

today I tried to work out a decent pirate boat on a motorboat platform, after 3 builds, I quit, kept running into structure limits, thank goodness I decided to use wood and tatch pieces for testing.

my mate spent 5 hrs collecting element dust from the gacha while taking care of his babies, a nice hunk of 121 element and a few good mastercraft items came out of it.

We headed to carno island to try to go find a good high level rex to bring into the breeding line, because, well carno island is normally the place to breed them... but... a tribe called "The Bastards" have pillared the island so much there are only 3 small spots any dinos are spawning now, couldn't find a decent rex there if you wanted to.   Gotta love people and their over pillaring.  The have one tiny stone shack there, and we only ever see them on the server once a week.

We both headed back to the main land, wandered around on gigas for awhile eating everything while one of the tribe members from the tribe that pillared carno island so bad kept trying to tell me "Pillars don't block dino spawns" …. it was funny and frustrating at the same time as they claim they've been playing ark for "years and years".  After we collected a bit of meat and a few other things, we headed back to our base, cooked up the meat, put the other items away in their containers, fed the dinos and my mate called it quits.

I stayed on for another 3 hours watching my mates babies while I added a few touched to the exterior wall for the base rebuild. he's got 3 now that are ready for imprints, I tucked them all away in cryopods and stuck them in his fridge, that should make him happy, not having to wait so long as he doesn't have much time to play lately. The other mate in our tribe couldn't play but a hour before work, so he grabbed 3 artifacts that we need for doing boss fights, almost got his angler killed one time but the other two he got without a hitch.

I guess one good thing about having a old hermit in your tribe, they got plenty of time on their hands to go about doing all the stuff no one else wants to do (like all the building, glad I like building) ;) thats it for this old fart for now, hope you all had a good day in ark.

Edited by caleb68
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Short session today.

My stack mod updated at some point since I played last.

I logged in to find all of my consumables gone. Empty generator, empty fridges, dead crop plots. all of my mats gone...things I've been stockpiling since day 1. I have my animals and my gear and nothing else.

Played just long enough to get gas in the generator before it ran out, harvested a few rare flowers for the beehive, and started the beetle again to start refilling my crop plots.

Then I logged off because I had a really bad day and this is just too overwhelming to deal with.

• Sad 3

PS4 Single Player- 

I started a game on Ab.

There's a lot for me to explore yet on the map so I spawned in the mushroom forest and ran down to the edge. Found a nice secluded spot so I set up a little farming base.

Been playing 2 days. Day 1 was mostly running around and getting some levels. A couple deaths but wasn't too bad. I hand farmed a few items and scouted a permanent base location. 

It's on an isolated cliff overlooking the edge. It's going to need a big ramp/stairway for access.

Near the end of the day I found a 130 Doedic so I knocked it out and tamed it up. That'll help speed things up.

Day 2 I started laying the groundwork for the ramp. I am going to build it out wood first. Even with that low cost, it was taking awhile so I broke off from farming to hunt down a Roll Rat. 

I actually had more deaths on day 2 than 1. Partly due to just focusing on looking for a Rat so situational awareness was weak, partly because I was feeling 9ver confident and fighting the packs of Ravs and Raptors instead of avoiding.

I found only a 145 Trike, not something I need this go around, but everything else I came across was pathetic.

I never found a decent Rat (want at least an 80) but did run across a level 75 Rav. That'll help with its weight reduction on certain mats so after fighting off its pack I eventually got it down and tamed it up.

I laid a few ziplines up to the base so the Rav makes transporting up there much quicker than using climbing picks every time.

The hunt for a decent Roll Rat will continue tomorrow amd I may lay out some sap taps so I can start prepping to tame snails for CP.

• Like 5

Unofficial PVE PC

Some very exciting and frustrating things happened yesterday. Last night, my friend and I transferred to the Center to try and tame a mosa as we have a mastercraft plat saddle. We were swimming around on our ichthys, looking for one, when we come across one of the ocean domes. My friend hasn't noticed it, and since we're using game chat, I can't just tell him. So I turn around (he's a fair bit behind me as my ichthy's faster) and see a Megalodon chasing him. All good, I wait for him to catch up to me. I then look around again and then realize that the Megalodon is moving a bit too... fast.

I spyglass it in curiosity and realize that the thing that is chasing my friend is not a Megalodon, but a max level Alpha Megalodon! I frantically type in game chat 'alph meg run!', but it's a painstakingly long while before he registers what I've said and gets the heck out of there. We then notice not one, not two, not three, but FOUR mosas swimming around the ocean dome! They were all female, and lvls 30, 40, 170, and 260. We might try to snag the 260 using the dome as a safe shooting spot once we gt kibble up and running.

Anyway, that's the exciting part. The frustrating part is that this morning, a Megalodon spawned directly inside our water pen, and so mercilessly chomped our poor defenseless ichthys to death.

Tonight we are going to try to tame that 260 mosa!

• Like 4

Hopefully this works... here is a picture of the bridge I built at my Ragnarok base.  (Don't mind the bronto, one of my buddies (California) sent me this screenshot after he dropped the bronto on my bridge as a prank.)

Out of the picture to the left is my hatchery, then I walk the babies across the bridge to my main base on the right side of the picture.)

IMG_4412.JPG

Edited by Aushegun
  • Like 6

Offical PvE Valguero, all by myself

I now have the beginnnings of a kibble farm.  I tamed one male and two female Stegos, have several crop plots on my boat, some recycle bins, and a pig to generate poop.  The Stegos also contribute poop when they are not breeding or dropping eggs.  When I have made enough regular kibble, I will go after some higher-level dinos.  I hate waiting 4-5 hours for a tame.  This double-tame weekend, I did not have the spare time set aside to go after anything significant.

I finally decided on a permanent location for my keep and it is where I saw the three Spinos ravaging a couple of weeks ago.  They were all gone with only herbivores nearby, so I took my chances and completed a small 2x2x2 stone cube with a bed and room for much expansion (a large flat area).  I also built about half a dino pen with one giant dino gate and lots of large dino gates.  I used some regular stone walls in one place to add a human-sized door in case I need to lure in something and run out the other side (I used this strategy to some good effect on The Island before).  When I was gathering resources to expand, I noticed a stone overhang with what seemed to be a large crystal inside.  I had not found any crystal yet in Valguero, so I went in to take a look.  Apparently, I have built my base fairly close to the Aberrant Trench!  No wonder there were lots of Spinos earlier.  All of the Trikes in the area are perpetually glowing from Rexes in the trench.  After I get established, I will have a lot of fun journeying down into the trench and trying to bring back a good carnivore or two.

On a sadder note, I tried to tame a Argy at a place a long way from any of my resources.  I decided that I could probably just tank the damage and stun it by shooting it in the head a few times with tranq arrows.  I made several rookie mistakes here.  One, I did not build any kind of trap.  This was because it is usually hard to pin an Argy down to a particular place - this was on a mountainside.  Two, I forgot to change into my metal armor and noticed that I was still wearing leather when I started flashing red a lot sooner than i expected.  Three, I did not check out the Argy's level beforehand (see my previous description of not finding any crystal - thus no spyglass).  Four, other than my armor I brought all of my best gear along (especially the crossbow).  Five, I did not drop a sleeping bag nearby to return to pick up my stuff after I died (i.e., I did not plan for possible failure).  Needless to say, I failed and died and was not able to recover anything.  One thing that I did right and may be able to recover is that I set my low-level Ptera (I flew to this location) to "passive flee".  With a lot of luck it is hanging around at the top of the sky in that area just waiting for me to come back.

All-in-all, an exciting dino-wrangling time!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

EU-PVP-Official-[REDACTED]

I heard the explosions, but I didn't think much about it. Sometimes there are explosions. Something to do with teleports, maybe? It's all a tech level above my pay grade.

I'd taken some losses over the weekend, but I'd just tamed up a megatherium after a lucky saddle drop and I was decently positioned for resources, so I figured I'd turn things around pretty swiftly.

I was marvelling at the fibre collecting prowess of the big lumbering beast as I returned home, which is when I realised that the explosions had been the sounds of another safehouse being blown up.

The megatherium was later murdered by a pair of cowardly therizins.

Currently laying low with an iguanadon and a sabertooth while I restock on bullets and essential supplies.

• Sad 3